Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Tarantino to make Nazi film 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tarantino to make Nazi film  (Read 11113 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 03:32:46 PM

I tend not to watch what my local butcher does on a daily basis.

Well noone is asking you to watch the film either ;)

There's also the fact that I might catch him fucking my mom or something.

That's a bizzare fantasy ye got goin der, make a film out of it  tongue

and I gotta stick up for QT Resorvoir Dogs was kikass and True Romance was one of my favourite films though Ive slightly outgrown it now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:35:48 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 05:45:10 PM

Bla bla bla.  Hey, remember before WW2 Online came out, people on Lum's or whatever were afraid players would RP concentration camps and shit?  You say "Nazi" and people get all irrational.  Like the title of this thread.  Gee, calling it a "Nazi film" instead of a "WW2 movie" isn't loaded language.  You're all being cunts over some shit nobody has even seen yet.  What's more, who gives a fuck what Tarantino does anyway?  He's one more flopped vanity project away from total irrelevance.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 06:01:24 PM

He did bring Salma Hayek in to the main stream though.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 06:21:54 PM

What the fuck is it? all I been seein tonight is Salma Hayek, don't get me wrong that's a good thing...a very good thing, but like everything I turn to she's there in all her glorious womanhood.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 06:41:36 PM

Also, two really great movies with Nazis are Stalingrad and Das Boot. Most of you have probably already seen them though.

For the life of me I can't remember anyone getting shot in the nads in Das Boot, must have been the 8 hour long super-extended version.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 06:43:30 PM

He did bring Salma Hayek in to the main stream though.
Huh? No, that was Robert Rodriguez with Desperado.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 08:00:30 PM

One of my friends has the script, he says it's actually pretty amazing.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Fixed it  awesome, for real

Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:18 AM

Yeah, I got a copy from one of my friends out west. Personally, I dig it (typos and all). It's different, I'll say that. It's really not so much a war film, or anything that resembles historically accurate, but it is enjoyable.  I wouldn' t just jump out and start the bashing yet. Tarantino catches a lot of flack for being a hack, and for his almost preternatural ability to steal, but you got to give it up a lil' for the style. He has a way of making everything, and everyone, just seem cooler. Inglorious Basterds (sic) is much the same. I finished and wasn't blown away or filled with any sense of patriotism like I was at the end of Saving Private Ryan. I did however have the urge to smoke a cigarette in the rain and hold lengthy diatribes about interesting idiosyncrasies of life, and that's groovy too, cause I did style. And DIRECTION! And Tarantino has both.  I was thinking of posting the script up and just letting you guys fight it out after reading it, but more than legality is stopping me. Really, its just not worth it. Bottom line is if you don't like his stuff, you're not going to like this.  As stated before, I dug it. It's got some great dialogue, and marches to its own beat. Very different.

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 02:22:25 AM

Meh. He steals his direction and cinematography styles from other folks also. Being able to reword things in a snappy style does not a good movie make. I think I need whatever shallow pills are being passed around Hollywood. Because I just can't get over him being a shitcock little weasel.

Cory, get on Steam.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 11:56:13 AM

I blame Tarantino for another affront, making Brian Michael Bendis think he's a good writer.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 11:58:45 AM

Simon Pegg is off this p.o.s. 

At least he's doing another movie with Nick Frost and the director of Superbad next.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 03:01:32 PM

At least he's (Pegg) doing another movie with Nick Frost and the director of Superbad next.

That makes me happy.

The last I read about IB was that Mike Myers had signed on.  If any of you just thought, 'wow, Myers making a step to the more serious roles,' think again.  Although, I have to admit I'll probably break my Tarantino strike to see this one.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 03:27:22 PM

I'm happy to hear Pegg's not involved primarily because I just don't see Pegg and Tarantino forming any kind of productive relationship. Which strikes me as odd because Pegg seems to be as rooted in ripping off genres as Tarantino (watch Spaced series 1&2 and Hot Fuzz and claim that there's a wholly original scene there). The main difference being Pegg seems to intentionally copy a convention while Tarantino just mixes it in.

I'll add here that I'm not really a Tarantino hater. I really like Reservoir and Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown I can tolerate along with Kill Bill 1 (2 was just so much more of the same, it should have been 1 film) but really. He's made too much shit recently that I expect to really enjoy what he's putting out now.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:45 PM

I'll add here that I'm not really a Tarantino hater. I really like Reservoir and Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown I can tolerate along with Kill Bill 1 (2 was just so much more of the same, it should have been 1 film) but really. He's made too much shit recently that I expect to really enjoy what he's putting out now.

In terms of what he's directed feature wise, you really like two of his films, can tolerate two more (three if you wrap KB1 & 2 as the same) but dislike all the stuff he's putting out now. Doesn't that amount to, well, Death Proof? And a minute or two of Sin City? He's only directed 5 films (6 if you count KB twice). In terms of features he's written, you can include Natural Born Killers and True Romance in that list. Okay, so there's Four Rooms which he wrote and directed one segment of but apart from that, what is the "too much shit" that he's made recently that you're referring to?  Feature wise - I'm not talking about his stints on CSI or ER?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 04:11:12 PM

Ok, I didn't like Death Proof (counting Jackie Brown that's two) and to be honest, I liked Kill Bill 1 and not Kill Bill 2 because after KB 1 there wasn't any point in KB 2. The more crucial point being nothing that Tarantino has put out so far makes me think that he's likely to make a decent WWII action movie over some horrific effigy of a Nazisploitation movie. I don't mean that in an intentionally going to make Schindler's list but tasteless but is going to start ripping off movies that shouldn't be copied. The "US soldier with a katana" wasn't a joke, I can see Tarantino putting a Native American in there an tearing up Nazis without paying attention to what's actually going on beyond it looking "awesome". 

Ok, beyond the two I explicitly mentioned he hasn't done much, I liked KB 1 but the addition of the second ruined it in terms of doing the same thing but for another hour and a half. Frankly I don't hate him, I find him an entertaining writer but simply not original enough to give him much benefit of the doubt regarding anything else he puts out.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 05:06:33 PM

Stuff

To be fair, I'm in entire agreement with you regarding his work to date. Didn't much care for Death Proof, thought Jackie Brown was dull, liked KB1 when I saw it in the cinema but subsequently never felt the need to see it again and couldn't care less about KB2.  I also didn't like True Romance much either.

That being said, I wouldn't judge a film solely on the basis that he's involved in it. Also, as mentioned prior (and subsequently by two other people), now that I've read the script, while it's unmistakably Tarantino, I currently find myself thinking that yeah, I'd go to see it and that it could be a good film*.  But then I'm a big fan of old "Boys own" WW2 films like The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes and suchlike. While it's not necessarily as obvious a satire as, say, Top Secret, there are ridiculous elements in the screenplay and a messing around with history that are satirical in their own right although they're extremely subtle.  Put another way: there are no katanas, no gimp masks and Stealers Wheel is not playing while the Nazis kill Jewish people.  As I said before, the violence impllied by the Grauniad article, while not absent, is not representative of the screenplay I read.

Simon Pegg being out of this is also not a good thing. I could totally see him in the scenes the part he was up for was in and they may well have worked. One of them was controversial enough to be mentioned a couple of times in this thread alone.

*it might also be a film I demand my money back for - won't know until it's made.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Tarantino to make Nazi film  
Jump to: