Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617501 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1645 on: July 03, 2015, 01:16:15 AM

I'd enjoy hearing the over understand from the nay sayers on when Marvel will have their first flop.

As Draconian points out, Marvel have had tons of flops in the past.  And I agree with Lakov that these days, it's really hard to quantify what a flop actually is.  Are we talking about a bad film, universally panned, or just money.  After all, we argued the prequels to death with someone who clung to the idea as fervently and manically as you do for everything Marvel.  There are people here who consider some of the films already done to be 'horribly bad and boring and unwatchable.'

For my money, I'm actually genuinely worried that Ant-Man may be seen as the first mis-step.  It could go quite wrong. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1646 on: July 03, 2015, 02:33:23 AM

I'd enjoy hearing the over understand from the nay sayers on when Marvel will have their first flop.

Punisher: Warzone didn't even make it's money back.  Ghost Rider 2 scraped by because of the international market.

He was probably talking about Marvel movies made by Marvel Studios/Disney.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1647 on: July 03, 2015, 02:51:19 AM

Oh yes, I'm well aware of how movable the goal posts are. Of course, by that standard, you pretty much have to remove anything released before 2012 which means that we're only talking about 6 films over 3 years.  We could always narrow it further by saying any film made by Marvel Studios/Disney and released in May as well I guess.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1648 on: July 03, 2015, 03:49:29 AM

Oh yes, I'm well aware of how movable the goal posts are. Of course, by that standard, you pretty much have to remove anything released before 2012 which means that we're only talking about 6 films over 3 years.  We could always narrow it further by saying any film made by Marvel Studios/Disney and released in May as well I guess.

Given that this thread is about the MCU, I would think it that the goal posts are fairly set in place. The (currently) 11 movies in the MCU are the ones actually made by Marvel Studios as opposed to stuff that was licensed out to Fox, Sony, New Line, or Lionsgate which Marvel didn't have creative control over.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: July 03, 2015, 07:11:20 AM

As Draconian points out, Marvel have had tons of flops in the past.  And I agree with Lakov that these days, it's really hard to quantify what a flop actually is.  Are we talking about a bad film, universally panned, or just money.  After all, we argued the prequels to death with someone who clung to the idea as fervently and manically as you do for everything Marvel.  There are people here who consider some of the films already done to be 'horribly bad and boring and unwatchable.'

For my money, I'm actually genuinely worried that Ant-Man may be seen as the first mis-step.  It could go quite wrong. 

And a misstep might be all it takes to lose quite a few people because it is combined with a kind of Marvel burnout.  They aren't there yet, but if you have one mediocre movie and people are already thinking "Another one of these already?" then you're setting yourself up for some trouble.

I like Daredevil quite a bit more than I've liked any of the recent movies anyway.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1650 on: July 03, 2015, 07:13:38 AM

The movies made under the current banner, the one shots and the tv series. There is no crap in there. Some are outstanding, some are really good and a few are just good... but no crap. That is the widely held opinion clear from countless review sites, etc... I'm not saying you won't find bad reviews... everything gets some bad reviews. However, if you put the cumulative set of reviews in the context of reviews for similar media, it is clear that these are widely appreciated for their quality.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1651 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:40 AM

Everything makes its money back so long as it has a recognisable star, reasonable marketing, and isn't a comedy.

This is one of the advantages of being an industry that barely pays any tax.

When the turn comes, nobody will be sure it happened until 3 years and 50 pages of this thread later.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:26:47 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: July 03, 2015, 07:26:08 AM

the current banner,

Wait, no, that's the wrong one.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: July 03, 2015, 08:38:25 AM

Everything makes its money back so long as it has a recognisable star, reasonable marketing, and isn't a comedy.
George Clooney and Disney would like a word with you, but the estimated $140 million loss on Tomorrowland cut their phone budget.

Ironwood: The Incredible Hulk did very well.  Marvel didn't like working with Norton as he was not collaborative in the way they liked.  They transitioned to a new actor and there were raves about the change.  Started off with good quality and improved it.  Misstep?  I say thee nay.  It is like going from dating hot/crazy to hot/sane.  You're not necessarily carrying regret. 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1654 on: July 03, 2015, 08:40:48 AM

Yeaaahhhh, my post was just a pun post.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1655 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:07 AM

Yeaaahhhh, my post was just a pun post.
Went right by me.  My bad.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1656 on: July 03, 2015, 10:22:56 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1657 on: July 03, 2015, 02:15:29 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1658 on: July 03, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

This..."I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.”

Makes me worry for Dr Strange.  Now I'm sure Antman is going to be a fine superhero movie, only now I wish I knew what Edgar wright would have done with it.   So far all we've seen is "the marvel style" and the more I hear, the more I worry they aren't ever going to let directors think outside the formulaic box.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: July 03, 2015, 06:41:10 PM

The problem it seems with some of the directors is they come in and want to do it their way.  However, they should know by now that there is a continuity and shit they have to keep in order.  You can make the film yours, but you still have to respect that there are things that have to be a certain way to fit the Marvel narrative and tone. 

That being said, most of these directors careers have been given big bumps due to their involvement with Marvel.  Edgar Wright is one of those people that wanted to do it all his way.  It just sucked that he had so much time put into it.  With Ava DuVernay she wasn't even an announced director so there isn't any amount of real work from her on the movie anyway.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1660 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:31 AM

The Incredible Hulk did very well.

I know this your reply was based off a misunderstanding about a post, but..

No, no, it did not.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=incrediblehulk.htm

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1661 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:30 AM

That kinda makes my point.  Are we talking about a good film or a financial success.  Because it WAS the better Hulk film out there.

(Yes, that's not saying much.)

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1662 on: July 04, 2015, 11:24:50 AM

How a film "does" (IE, flop or not) is generally attached to it's financial success. And simply "making it's money back" is never a success (read: financial) in the film studios eyes for these large budget productions.

As for quality, I don't have a particular strong reaction to any of the hulk films, but then I've never been big on the Hulk character anyway. To me, both films are pretty much on the same level, quality wise. Both movies are in the 60% range, based on RT.

Financial success is empirical. Artistic success much less so... because opinions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:28:59 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1663 on: July 04, 2015, 04:05:37 PM

But we can all agree that The Minions Movie is utter, utter shit, right ?

Because it was.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: July 04, 2015, 04:23:55 PM

Because it was.

Is it out over there already? Are you being serious?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1665 on: July 04, 2015, 05:46:31 PM

Because it was.

Not out here yet.  It does look awful though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2015, 05:48:44 PM

Despicable Me 2 suffered because of the focus on the minions. I can only imagine an all-minion movie being utter trash that entertains only mentally diseased 5-9 year olds.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1667 on: July 04, 2015, 10:01:33 PM

Despicable Me 2 suffered because of the focus on the minions. I can only imagine an all-minion movie being utter trash that entertains only mentally diseased 5-9 year olds.
I assure you my 6 year old is not mentally impaired, and along with all her friends, she's almost as gaga over Minions as for Frozen 2.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1668 on: July 04, 2015, 10:39:26 PM

Yea my nephew and niece both love the little yellow guys. All I have to do to make my niece laugh is say banana in their inflection.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1669 on: July 05, 2015, 01:10:30 AM

The kid will like it and then instantly forget it (like Elena did).

It's utter trash.  I mean, really, really, really bad and offensive.  It may as well have every line of dialogue saying 'We're doing this as a cash grab because your kids are stupid.'

I agree with Merusk entirely.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1670 on: July 05, 2015, 05:31:48 AM

A lot of movies that do worse get sequels. Incredible Hulk made a hundred million profit in theaters worldwide and then has had very solid home movie revenue. I'll call that doing very well, especially when yoy consider very well isn't exactly a rave.  It was not Iron Man, Dark Knight, or any of the other runaway successes of the era, but I don't exactly think Marvel regrets making it, although they likely wish they had the recast from the start.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:33:22 PM by jgsugden »

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1671 on: July 05, 2015, 07:43:48 AM

I'm caught surprised that you guys didn't like the minion movie. I haven't seen it yet. However, I'm not expecting academy awards material. I mean it's a minions movie, it's supposed to be an entire movie about bad slapstick comedy.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1672 on: July 07, 2015, 06:34:56 AM

In all honesty, did any of you guys not like the Norton hulk movie?  I mean, it wasn't some master piece or anything, but the plot flowed at a good pace and it was entertaining to watch.  Not what I was expecting considering all the negative stuff I had heard on the Internet about it before.  Not a home run, but a perfectly entertaining movie I felt did a better job with the character than he first film.  What was there to actually hate about it?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1673 on: July 07, 2015, 07:35:17 AM

No, compared to the first one it WAS a masterpiece.  It was ok.  It wasn't anything great tho and Abom was pretty stupid.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1674 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:07 AM

I liked the Norton Hulk. It was decent, had more Hulk Smash than the first and had a good slugfest ending. However, compared to the other Marvel movies, it ranks about with Thor Dark World. Decent but totally forgettable.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1675 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:23 AM

A lot of movies that do worse get sequels. Incredible Hulk made a hundred million profit in theaters worldwide and then has had very solid home movie revenue. I'll call that doing very well, especially when yoy consider very well isn't exactly a rave.  It was not Iron Man, Dark Knight, or any of the other runaway successes of the era, but I don't exactly think Marvel regrets making it, although they likely wish they had the recast from the start.

Possibly semantics, but "very well" isn't really applicable here. Production budgets do not take into account Marketing, etc.

If it were a solid success, there would already be another one in the pipeline, regardless of the Universal distribution mess that Ruffalo referred to, which has been disputed.

Again, possible semantics, but saying it did "very well" seems a big stretch. The new one would probably command a bigger budget, and not likely to be a big box office draw.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1676 on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:46 AM

As you say, semantics, but: There was another one in the pipeline that was derailed by Norton, by the rights issues, and by the greater success of the other Marvel movies.  Hulk didn't get a sequel so that GotG and Ant-man could get a spot on the schedule. 

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:14 AM

The rights issues stuff seems to be here-say, though, as they shot that down in June. The Universal distribution rights aren't holding anything up. I haven't heard anything about Norton being a block in things. He was always pretty gung ho about the series.

The fact that they truested two unknown projects before a more known quantity proves my overall point. Trusting GotG and Ant-Man more than what a Hulk movie could do probably speaks a bit to the status of the project and trepidation about how it would perform.

Of course there are some storytelling reasons why they wanted those to be there, which are important. But looking back there's no reason why they couldn't have been fitted in differently.

All of this just points to the larger thing: Hulk isn't a draw. It might be now, and especially in the right hands, but so far... Meeeeeh. Seriously, the only Hulk i've ever cared about was the old Ferrigno series. And that's only because it was jut about the only comic property at that time.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1678 on: July 07, 2015, 11:57:19 AM

As you say, semantics, but: There was another one in the pipeline that was derailed by Norton, by the rights issues, and by the greater success of the other Marvel movies.  Hulk didn't get a sequel so that GotG and Ant-man could get a spot on the schedule. 

Huh?  That's bs, cuz they reshuffled the schedule like months later for Spider-Man.  Hulk movies have just not performed well enough, and that is the reason it's not happening.  
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1679 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:15 PM

I also heard that Norton is such a gigantic asshole, no one at Marvel wanted to work with him again.

The only reason anyone has had any discussions about a Hulk solo movie is because of how well Ruffalo did with the character as written by Whedon. The poor box office returns really haven't made that a priority even after the character's success in Avengers.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: