Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617046 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:47 AM

I've seen that idea all over the place, but I just don't get it. I don't think anyone really cares about "mutants." People care about the X-Men.

From my perspective it's more of what origin story you want (or don't want) to tell. The whole point of mutants (or at least in Stan Lee's telling) is to get around the problem of coming up with a new origin story for every single hero: one can just say "mutant!" and be done with it. I think that's the purpose of using inhuman instead of mutant so we don't need a gazillion new origin stories for each new character. They can just say "Inhuman!" and get right to the wisecracks/senseless violence.  awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #981 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:10 AM

I've seen that idea all over the place, but I just don't get it. I don't think anyone really cares about "mutants." People care about the X-Men.

I thought the problem is they literally aren't allowed to use the term mutant because of the different movie contracts?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:40 AM

That's pretty much it. I think it's basically nothing more than they want a way to say, "This guy has metahuman powers!" and not have to think of an elaborate explanation for it.

It's a pretty common thing in superhero universes--the old Wild Cards books had an alien virus, the New Universe had its White Event, etc.: something that lets you just get on with characterization. Only a few characters have origins that are so rewarding that it's worth retelling every part of it in detail. Since the MCU can't say "mutant!" I think they want something else that functions the same way for their metas. I would expect terrigen to be that something else.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: August 14, 2014, 11:38:01 AM

That's pretty much it. I think it's basically nothing more than they want a way to say, "This guy has metahuman powers!" and not have to think of an elaborate explanation for it.

It's a pretty common thing in superhero universes--the old Wild Cards books had an alien virus, the New Universe had its White Event, etc.: something that lets you just get on with characterization. Only a few characters have origins that are so rewarding that it's worth retelling every part of it in detail. Since the MCU can't say "mutant!" I think they want something else that functions the same way for their metas. I would expect terrigen to be that something else.

One could even say the crystal in loki's staff if one of the crystals terrigen mist comes from.  I'm really curious how aggressive disney will get in reclaiming property now in regards to not movies but merchandising.  Technically unless it's Hugh Jackman's likeness, you can't sell a sticker of wolverine without disney coming down your throats.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #984 on: August 14, 2014, 02:05:19 PM

They can already do that now (and have in a couple episodes of Agents of Shield). I don't think the audience would freak out if  superpowered characters show up without the origin of their powers being explained.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: August 14, 2014, 02:39:43 PM

Inhumans are heavily tied to the Kree, so it is a way to also bridge all the SPAAAACE stuff back to Earth.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:21 PM

I thought the problem is they literally aren't allowed to use the term mutant because of the different movie contracts?

By all accounts, the contract says no such thing, but Disney see no reason to piss off the other rights holders on issues like this when it doesn't matter a damn to them.

Nobody cares if quicksilver is a mutant or not.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

As far as I know, we've only had vague references to what is allowed under the contracts and we certainly have not seen them.   However, there have been articles claiming they do not have the right to use the term "mutants" in the Marvel Comics sense of the word: http://screenrant.com/inhumans-mutants-marvel-cinematic-universe  However, they can clearly play with that a bit based upon one joke from MAoS this year.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:27 PM

So the Russo's are throwing stuff out there about the title for Cap 3.  They stated that it was taken from a Cap comic arc and then they pretty much confirmed Crossbones will be in Cap 3 as well.  Could they be doing Death of Captain America?  I wonder if they have the balls to do it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:05 PM

Oh and here's a leaked photo of Doctor Doom from the FF reboot.  I don't even know what to say personally.  I think it blows and the only thing I can hope for is it's some transitional costume from some accident or something.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #990 on: August 28, 2014, 02:10:37 PM

I think that leak just got DDOSed from all the geeks on the Internet. You don't happen to have another link?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: August 28, 2014, 02:24:18 PM

I think that leak just got DDOSed from all the geeks on the Internet. You don't happen to have another link?
Hah the whole site seems to be gone.  Let me look around.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:26 PM

Found it here.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: August 28, 2014, 02:28:07 PM

Well, since you can see the green screen, that's probably just the 'base' that will get CGIed up to his real look.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:20 PM

Well, since you can see the green screen, that's probably just the 'base' that will get CGIed up to his real look.

There is no green on his outfit. 
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:55 PM

Motion capture suits aren't green, though that doesn't look like your typical motion capture suit.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:09 PM

Motion capture suits aren't green, though that doesn't look like your typical motion capture suit.

I mean if you zoom in it's a textured painted suit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:27 PM

I don't see the problem. Looks like an evil guy encased in metal.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:50 PM

It'll be highly CGI'd.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:51 PM

There is a story going round that - after filming scenes for Ms. Marvel - she will be cut from Age of Ultron.  Reportedly, she was suddenly revealed in the movie with no explanation for where her powers originated.  I think it is a misdirect and that they're going to introduce her on MAoS towards the end of the season.... and then she WILL be in the movie.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:22 PM

what's with you and MAOS?  They aren introducing luke cage on the show, no way in hell they will waste ms marvel on it.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: August 28, 2014, 11:06:23 PM

They're going to shift her to which ever movie has the Kree invade. She might make a name drop cameo before that, something only us dorks would know.

Look for a blonde fighter pilot with the call-sign Cheeseburger.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1002 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:46 AM

Rumors flying around today that Joaquin Phoenix is in final negotiations to be Dr. Strange.

That's one way to get me to not watch it at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:24:28 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:07 AM

I feel as if I should just trust these guys at this point but...it doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's because Strange is pretty much my favorite Marvel character.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1004 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:12 AM

It doesn't feel right because Strange is mysterious.

Joaquin isn't mysterious, he's creepy. He's always been creepy and will always be creepy. Even when he played Johnny Cash, he was creepy.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: August 29, 2014, 09:27:41 AM

It doesn't feel right because Strange is mysterious.

Joaquin isn't mysterious, he's creepy. He's always been creepy and will always be creepy. Even when he played Johnny Cash, he was creepy.

At least it's not johnny depp.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:44 AM

Even if they don't do the movie as an origin story (which I'm actually fine about) I assume they're going to establish the baseline story of Strange's career and character. So the grace notes that they have just got to hit right are:

Strange as arrogant, driven, narcissistic but also supremely skilled surgeon, Type A alpha male to the max, who is too busy drinking, fucking and collecting money to care about anything or anyone
Strange as broken man after he loses his ability to be Top Dog. I don't actually care how that happens--they can go with the classic drunk driving accident/neurological injury, or have him have a nervous breakdown, or even keep it mysterious. But something happens to bring the guy down--and rather downsize and get humble, he goes chasing anything that might get him back on top again
Strange as guy who finally learns wisdom and caring when he has no choice but to spend time with an aged wise man who is engaged in a battle against the forces of darkness
Strange as superpowerful dude but he's like Batman: all of his power is the result of his own discipline, his own learning, his own ability to maintain focus, and some shit on his "utility belt". If Strange decides to coast for a while and just stop reading all those tomes and watching for evil in his crystal ball, he's essentially 100% fucked. Plus he has to keep from falling back into arrogance.

Is that anything I've ever seen from Phoenix? I guess aspects of his portrayal of Johnny Cash have some overlaps. But I'm not seeing it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:59 PM

Jaoquin Phoenix will be fine.

He's an actual actor as opposed to famous for playing himself, among current Avengers this is not something you can say about anyone else who has had their own film.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: August 29, 2014, 05:19:52 PM

He's an actual actor as opposed to famous for playing himself, among current Avengers this is not something you can say about anyone else who has had their own film.
Cap?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:22 PM

How is Tom Cruise not being cast for this.....

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: August 29, 2014, 08:37:21 PM

How is Tom Cruise not being cast for this.....

I'm pretty sure his Scientology views would keep him out of any project involving magic.  Besides.. fuck Tom Cruise.  Sad thing is that RDJ would have made a killer Doctor Strange too imo.  I don't mind Joaquin Phoenix.  I think Keanu could have pulled it off, he wasn't too bad in Constantine.. but still Keanu. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: August 30, 2014, 03:54:03 AM

I was pretty happy at the rumor that Jack Huston had been cast--that seemed much closer to the mark than Joaquim Phoenix.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:15 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:04 PM

I'm willing to bet the success of guardians got it green lit fast.  It was a an iffy property but then talking racoon makes half a billion and suddenly marvel says "fuck it, money hats for all!"

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:52 PM

Did anyone other then Stan Lee say it?

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: