Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617486 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:14 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: August 10, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Maybe he's playing Black Bolt and will have no lines this time.   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: August 10, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

Maybe he's playing Black Bolt and will have no lines this time.   awesome, for real

I'm not sure that will happen but it would be fucking hilarious.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: August 10, 2014, 04:15:44 PM

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: August 10, 2014, 06:08:04 PM

He could totally pull it off.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:32 AM

He would be awesome as Black Bolt.  Also, what the fuck is up with those leg things?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #951 on: August 11, 2014, 04:52:48 AM

Also, what the fuck is up with those leg things?

He did motion capture for Groot as well.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #952 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:54 AM

So Thanos is the big bad in the Marvel Multiverse?  I didn't really follow that part from Guardians.

(pretty much just a movie watcher)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: August 11, 2014, 10:25:54 AM

He seems like an established Big Bad out there where the Guardians do their thing, yeah. Also seems like he has an active interest in acquiring the Infinity Gems, though I'm not sure how that squares with Avengers. (e.g., he seems to have outfitted Loki with the staff and the Chitauri; the staff seems to have an Infinity Gem in it and is now in the possession of HYDRA; but what does Thanos get out of all that?) 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:25 AM

Thanos gets to know their exact locations.  Once they're all safely secured in places he knows he can gather them all at once.

Plus all the death that happens in each of their appearances.  It's foreplay before the main event.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:41 AM

Well in Guardians he's mentioned several times as some sort of space badass and referred to as "the mad titan" but even in avengers he was shown to be the one who resuced loki and gave him the staff.  Following the movies alone simply tells us he's a power player behind the scenes with sinister motives.  Knowing the comics does gives us a bit more knowledge of his endgame but we already know he's evil and behind the scenes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #956 on: August 11, 2014, 12:17:23 PM

In the comics, the Infinity Gems "called out to each other - they wanted to be put together" or some such. So as long as he knows where one or two are, he can use them to get more. GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL!

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: August 11, 2014, 12:28:57 PM

Which has never made any sense in the Marvel comics. What, there are gems as old as the universe that are basically its source code, that make you effectively God, and they WANT to be put together? But never have been until Thanos did it (and then have been put together constantly ever since, including by a two-bit street villain...)

I get that the force of creation or whatever might choose to create a root kit for the entire universe just in case of something really really extra-universal happening to it but I would think you would not make it something that the equivalent of a Czech hacker sitting in a basement could just download off an unprotected server.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #958 on: August 11, 2014, 12:35:40 PM

Best not to think to hard about the cosmic shit because it literally WILL NOT MAKE SENSE.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:59 PM

The best part of the Infinity Gauntlet saga was Thanos collecting the gems, which isn't going to be replicated in the movies. The story after he collected them was crap.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #960 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:31 PM

The best part of the Infinity Gauntlet saga was Thanos collecting the gems, which isn't going to be replicated in the movies. The story after he collected them was crap.

Eh, it was fun for what it was although Starlin's fascination with Thanos (a character he created) gets a little tiring at times.  I've never found Thanos to be nearly as interesting as Starlin seems to think he is, and Starlin went back to the well way too many times with the same characters and concepts. His Dreadstar stuff was much better. Shame he didn't stick around long enough to see that to conclusion.

As for the Infinity Gems themselves, they hit a lot point in a crossover with the Ultraverse that introduced a 7th gem that combined with the others to form the generically named cosmic entity Nemesis. Even Warren Ellis writing the last issue of that storyline couldn't save that shit.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: August 12, 2014, 06:06:37 AM

Thanos, weirdly enough, is most interesting when Starlin writes him in his "down" times, after he's failed again. I really liked Starlin's attempt to say, "This is a guy who actually hates himself, just on a cosmic scale, and when he's left alone with power, sabotages himself, until the one day where he doesn't and wins and then finds out that neither power nor Death does anything to relieve his self-loathing." The best stuff the company has ever done with him was the brief run in his own title where Starlin gave Giffen his blessing to write Thanos. Two great arcs: in the one, Thanos sets out to try and make up for some of his worst deeds, ends up humiliatiing Galactus after Galactus gets suckered into bringing an interdimensional parasite into the Marvel reality; in the other, Thanos seems to be done with his "making up to people" phase, now is in his contemplative "what should I do" phase, goes to visit the Kyln (it's where it was introduced) and meets up with the Beyonder (not the white-guy w/jheri curls version of the character). He was also good in Annihilation right up to when Drax killed him, partly because it was sort of mysterious what Thanos was up to. At some point, I kind of wished Marvel had told Starlin, "You're not writing this guy anymore ever, Giffen and Abnett & Lanning are, because they're just better". Starlin has a habit of being a big asshole when he writes Thanos because he usually goes out of his way to reverse everything that every other writer has done with him.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: August 12, 2014, 06:26:17 AM

Obligatory thanoscopter.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #963 on: August 12, 2014, 08:24:58 AM

WTF was that from?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #964 on: August 12, 2014, 08:57:06 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: August 12, 2014, 08:59:29 AM

That old Spiderman-for-kids comic. It's full of hilarious panels.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:08 AM

I find it hilarious that even in that comic, Thanos beat himself.  awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

So it looks like with Guardians being a hit they are working on Inhumans now.  They are shopping around a script right now looking for a director.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: August 13, 2014, 01:33:30 PM

And Inhumans has been announced.  So I think this is going to be one of the 2017 dates.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #969 on: August 13, 2014, 01:43:45 PM

The Inhumans - the Movie!

Lead Actor get's one line in the entire movie (which blows all the shit up)
Lead Actress has magic 70's hair
Supporting Actor - french looking skinny martial arts guy
Supporting CGI Actor - giant weird looking doggie sorta thingy with a big mustache

Who am I forgetting?

Funnily enough though, I thought the Inhumans were awesome as a teen. I loved the idea of a guy whose power was to break really big stuff by karate chopping it's weak point.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #970 on: August 13, 2014, 01:53:15 PM

I like what they've done with Karnak lately - he's not only able to see the physical deficiencies in something to karate chop it, he's also able to analyze the weakness in diplomacy and strategy. He could be a cool character.

Rather than playing Black Bolt, I could see Vin Diesel doing Gorgon with the goat hooves things, although he'd be cool as Black Bolt too. He's got the stare down.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #971 on: August 13, 2014, 01:55:44 PM

And Inhumans has been announced.  So I think this is going to be one of the 2017 dates.

I don't think it's actually been announced yet.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: August 13, 2014, 01:57:23 PM

I like what they've done with Karnak lately - he's not only able to see the physical deficiencies in something to karate chop it, he's also able to analyze the weakness in diplomacy and strategy. He could be a cool character.

Rather than playing Black Bolt, I could see Vin Diesel doing Gorgon with the goat hooves things, although he'd be cool as Black Bolt too. He's got the stare down.

I think it's funny that someone known for their voice would get a role like Black Bolt.  Vin landed Groot cuz Marvel wanted him for a movie, apparently Inhumans, but it was a while off yet.  So they offered him the Groot role as well.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: August 13, 2014, 02:00:37 PM

Crystal was the only Inhuman I really liked so hopefully she'll be in it with a major role.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: August 13, 2014, 02:02:57 PM

It's because of the news that the script is done and being shopped around to directors.  Not only that, but because of the Vin tease yesterday on Facebook.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #975 on: August 13, 2014, 02:07:09 PM

It's because of the news that the script is done and being shopped around to directors.  Not only that, but because of the Vin tease yesterday on Facebook.

I don't disagree it's coming, but Marvel themselves have not actually announced anything.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: August 13, 2014, 04:05:27 PM

Thinking about it, Diesel might have been wearing those stilts all the time for reasons other than playing groot if he's going to be woodgod.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: August 14, 2014, 04:31:25 AM

Behind the Scenes video quotes Vin as saying he wanted to know what it would be like to be a seven foot tall tree creature. He wore the stilts as he recorded his VO lines for international release. It works for promotional purposes too.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:42 AM

It's interesting that Marvel Studios retained the rights to the Inhumans given that the characters were so closely associated with the Fantastic Four early on. They may be interested in making the movie as a preliminary way of announcing that anything that wasn't specified in the contracts for FF, Spider-Man and X-Men is theirs, and that they're going to persistently be trying to yank anything that isn't nailed down back into their stable. There's also a rumor that they may use the concept of "Inhumans" as the Marvel Studios' version of mutation. Wouldn't be surprised in that sense if it turns out that what makes the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver is essentially the MCU version of terrigen.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: August 14, 2014, 08:51:16 AM

I've seen that idea all over the place, but I just don't get it. I don't think anyone really cares about "mutants." People care about the X-Men.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: