Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:10:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2123464 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11095 on: October 05, 2011, 05:47:40 PM

Yeah my Sith Warrior is already slated to be a dude. Alistair's voice actor is really good, dammit.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11096 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:45 PM

The ones I know for sure (and some credible rumors) and prior Bioware roles:

Sith Warrior
Male - Steve Valentine (Alistair)
Female - the rumor is Claudia Black (Morrigan), I don't think this is confirmed

Sith Inquisitor
Male -
Female -

Bounty Hunter
Male - Steve Blum (Oghren, etc)
Female -

Imperial Agent
Male - Not 100% sure but I believe this is Jamie Glover (couple random voices in DA:O, and The Architect in Awakenings)
Female - Jo Wyatt (She-Hawke)

Jedi Knight
Male - David Hayter (no prior Bioware roles AFAIK but he is Solid Snake in most (all?) of the MGS games)
Female - Kari Walgren (some random side-voices in DA:O but she's been in a billion other things)

Jedi Consular
Male - Nolan North (random voices in DA:O but he's Drake in Uncharted)
Female -

Smuggler
Male -
Female - Ali Hillis (Liara) - only like 90% on this one

Trooper
Male - Brian Bloom (Varric)
Female - Jennifer Hale (Bastila, FemShep, Mazzy from BG2, Dynaheir in BG1, etc etc etc)

There are a bunch of rumors for the ones I left blank too but it was hard to pin anything down. Man Hawke is floating around as a rumor for the Sith Inquisitor, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11097 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:58 PM

Now that you mention Blum did Oghren I can totally hear it in my head, but I never noticed it before.  Heh.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11098 on: October 05, 2011, 06:07:07 PM

I'm pretty sure the female Smuggler is Kath Soucie.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #11099 on: October 05, 2011, 06:36:27 PM

I was going to go Imperial Agent but if varric is a sith hmmmm.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11100 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

I was going to go Imperial Agent but if varric is a sith hmmmm.

Troopers are a Republic Class.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11101 on: October 05, 2011, 07:29:47 PM

Pretty sure that the female Bounty Hunter is Jack from ME2.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11102 on: October 05, 2011, 08:24:19 PM

Nerf trooper VO!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #11103 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:06 PM

Male Sith Warrior is Alistair actually.
It's kinda like having the elf rapist son of an arl from DAO voice male Hawke in DA2, just in reverse. Can't wrap mind around it at all  ACK!

(did make the DA2 playthrough more amusing, tho)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11104 on: October 05, 2011, 08:45:05 PM

Blum totally cemented my choice for Powertech at launch...not that I was wavering in that too much. Wooolverine!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11105 on: October 05, 2011, 09:41:30 PM

He was Spike in Cowboy Bebop right? Big stretch playing a bounty hunter.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11106 on: October 06, 2011, 04:51:45 AM

He was Spike in Cowboy Bebop right? Big stretch playing a bounty hunter.

Yes.. he's been lots of voices.
 Spike, Roger Smith, Mugen, Dark Scream, Fortress Maximus, Wolverine, Duke, Roadblock, Wild Bill, Ripcord, Zartan, TOM from Toonami.

And that's before you get to the video game stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Blum

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11107 on: October 06, 2011, 05:16:52 AM

Class/Role philosiphy:

http://www.swtor.com/fr/community/showthread.php?p=9655283#edit9655283
edit, he re-posted it in English:
Hey guys,

Because the Dev Tracker is a bit wonky again and doesn't show my post, and because translating my English post to German and then back to English isn't producing the most reliable results (Oh god, they did what???), here's the Class Design Philosophy post again, in original source:

"Just to chime in about our class design philosophy here. We've explained this a number of times already during development, but now that we've been running large scale testing for a while and have solidified a lot of the design, I think it's time to explain what we're doing and why.

In regards to class roles, we do things differently than some other games which people might be used to. That creates some anxiety and questions, so let me explain.

Of Class, Advanced Class, Roles.

Unlike other games where you pick a class and that defines your role, class in Star Wars: The Old Republic defines your overall story, your possible roles and your visual style / gameplay style (e.g. Force user vs. Tech user).

Due to the nature of the Advanced Class system, every character starts out in a DPS role at the start of the game, and they're about equally good at it.

By the time you reach level 10, you get to make your choice for Advanced Class, which narrows down which roles you could play, and yes, some Advanced Classes (Gunslinger / Sniper / Marauder / Sentinel) only have damage type roles available, while other Advanced Classes have access to two roles (e.g damage or healing).

What actually defines your role in our game, in terms of traditional MMO gaming, is how you distribute points in your skill trees. Specialize in the 'Combat Medic' tree and become a healer, specialize in the 'Vengeance tree' and become a DPS character.

By spending that first skill point at level 10, you start developing your character into whatever role you want them to play in the long term. Since it's your skill choices that define your role, it is a gradual process. You don't become a healer at level 10 or 11, you're growing into becoming a healer over many levels.

Our content is designed around that. The first Flashpoint assumes the group has only DPS roles. Even if you bring a healer, he'll have only a single heal available at that level as he has just begun his journey into his role, so there isn't too much of a spread in balance.

Over time, the game becomes more firm in the roles it requires for content like Flashpoints, but additional tools like companions still make it more flexible than many other MMOs in regards to what group mix can run group content.

That progression is quite different from how your characters work in other games, and we've certainly seen our share of people being surprised by it in testing ("I just took the Sage Advanced Class, but I don't feel like I'm a great healer").

Hybrids

Ultimately we don't do hybrid roles. You can do them (by mixing different skill trees), but by design, all our classes are meant to be fully capable in the roles they fill. The 'hybrid' tax would be the fact that you won't be able to get the top tier talents in one skill tree if you spread yourself too thin into others.

At high level, all roles have the same capabilities, in our game all healers are 'main healers' provided they are specced accordingly, etc.

Common Questions

So, what's the point of playing an AC that has only DPS options available?

That is a question you have to answer for yourself.

In a traditional fantasy MMO, if you play a thief or a wizard, you're locked to one role as well, so it's the added role flexibility that SWTOR brings to the table that is giving you second thoughts. I would look at it like this:

If you really like the flexibility of non DPS roles and feel comfortable with taking on other roles, you might want to play an AC that has that option available.
If you know you only enjoy DPS roles in a game (and based on our research, a sizable faction of players falls under that umbrella), a DPS only AC means you will get a three different styles of dps gameplay to select from.

So why do we do this? Why not go for a 'this Advanced Class only can DPS and therefore they are the best at it' approach?

Because we want people to pick the class they want to play and reduce the likelihood of them getting told 'sorry, can't participate in this group because we want only the best DPS in game - that is a Gunslinger'.
Likewise, we don't want the fact that a specific tank or healer AC is not available at a time from becoming a stopping point for getting on with your group content.

The truth is, not everyone is comfortable playing every role and shouldn't be expected to.

Players, as they get more familiar with the game, will no doubt find interesting ways of proving the superiority of a specific specialization in a specific situation, that's expected. With different gameplay styles and utility come different strength and weaknesses.

Should things outside our comfort zone be discovered in testing or after launch (e.g. Operations ending up requiring that one specific healer AC because they are deemed 'the absolute best and a must'), we will adjust the game accordingly. We want player skill to be deciding factor in your choices, not which class they picked hundreds of hours ago. That's pretty standard for MMOs.

TL;DR

Q: 'Why would I play a DPS only Advanced Class if I can play an Advanced Class that can respec to fill other roles?' A: If that is your main concern, you shouldn't play that Advanced Class, because you are going to be unhappy about the fact that you cannot switch roles.

Q: Since I can only fill a DPS role, I should do the absolute best damage in the game! A: Not in SWTOR. We give you get more variety in your DPS gameplay. We maintain balance between all ACs that can fill a role.

Q: What ever happened to being 5% better thing for pure DPS classes? A: Given class utility and other considerations of why you might want to have someone in your group, 5% is not considered 'significant' for the purpose of this conversation.

I hope this clears things up a bit. I'm sure there'll be plenty of different and, of course, dissenting opinions on this topic, but at least everyone will be on the same page as what our design goals are in this situation and how we approach balancing classes."

Georg "Observer" Zoeller Principal Lead Combat Designer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:20:23 AM by Kirth »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11108 on: October 06, 2011, 05:31:58 AM

So when it comes to DPS, every class is the same, they just have different skins and weapon models.

I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing...I think if that's the way they're gonna go, every class should be a hybrid then.  At least then you can tank or heal if the spot is needed.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11109 on: October 06, 2011, 05:44:44 AM

I agree, if the choice is really what story you want to play then the 3 diku roles should be at least accessible for each advanced class in some limited way or another. Given 4 person group sizes and the assumption that every high level group needs a tank/healer your looking a 50% split for dps and with a "a sizable faction of players" wanting to play dps I see alot of problems late game.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11110 on: October 06, 2011, 06:12:50 AM

So when it comes to DPS, every class is the same, they just have different skins and weapon models.

I don't think that's what he said.

There are four pure DPS AC's, two on each side.

Melee DPS (Marauder/Sentinel) and ranged DPS (Gunslinger/Sniper), how is that, "Every class is the same?"

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11111 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:30 AM

Is it just me, or does almost nothing in that wall of text make any sense without multi-specs.

In a traditional fantasy MMO, if you play a thief or a wizard, you're locked to one role as well, so it's the added role flexibility that SWTOR brings to the table that is giving you second thoughts. I would look at it like this:

If you really like the flexibility of non DPS roles and feel comfortable with taking on other roles, you might want to play an AC that has that option available.
If you know you only enjoy DPS roles in a game (and based on our research, a sizable faction of players falls under that umbrella), a DPS only AC means you will get a three different styles of dps gameplay to select from.

Because we want people to pick the class they want to play and reduce the likelihood of them getting told 'sorry, can't participate in this group because we want only the best DPS in game - that is a Gunslinger'.
Likewise, we don't want the fact that a specific tank or healer AC is not available at a time from becoming a stopping point for getting on with your group content.

Q: 'Why would I play a DPS only Advanced Class if I can play an Advanced Class that can respec to fill other roles?' A: If that is your main concern, you shouldn't play that Advanced Class, because you are going to be unhappy about the fact that you cannot switch roles.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but if your group is sat outside a dungeon cockblocked while looking-for-healer, how does it help to know you could have been a really good healer if you had specced for it two months ago.

Or did they put multispeccing in and I missed it?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11112 on: October 06, 2011, 06:22:10 AM

I think they said yes for specs within your advanced class, no for advanced class switching. But they have designed themselves into a corner there, and if they offer advanced class switching it will be very awkward, but hey Alts. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11113 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:07 AM

Yes for respecs, ie. permanent reconfiguration of points triggered by paying a cost or completing some bullshit.

AFAIK it is still no for multispecs, ie. having 2 or more specs you have defined and which you can switch freely between in an appropriate non-combat location.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11114 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:15 AM

Makes me think how awesome GW2 class design is.

"Me am play gods"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11115 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:01 AM

"So, what's the point of playing an AC that has only DPS options available?

That is a question you have to answer for yourself."

(the real answer is that Georg doesn't want to admit that the only reason at all to play a Gunslinger/Sniper/Sentinel/Marauder is the pure Rule of Cool choice of Dual Wield/Sniper Fetishism/Dual Wield/Dual Wield)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11116 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:32 AM

(the real answer is that Georg doesn't want to admit that the only reason at all to play a Gunslinger/Sniper/Sentinel/Marauder is the pure Rule of Cool choice of Dual Wield/Sniper Fetishism/Dual Wield/Dual Wield)

I commend them for sticking to their RP guns and saying that story and style > numbers and mechanics, but this stance of that every DPSer, be it a dedicated class or a hybrid speced for DPS, will be the same will backfire, IMO.  The only people that will play the dedicated roles will be those people wanting to play for the story and lore.  The hardcore raiders and guilds won't have them, and just tell everyone to roll hybrids so they can flesh out their raid nights better.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:12:49 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11117 on: October 06, 2011, 09:15:56 AM

In fact, a commenter in the original Reddit thread articulated my point better than I did:

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #11118 on: October 06, 2011, 09:35:46 AM

I commend them for sticking to their RP guns and saying that story and style > numbers and mechanics, but this stance of that every DPSer, be it a dedicated class or a hybrid speced for DPS, will be the same will backfire, IMO.  The only people that will play the
dedicated roles will be those people wanting to play for the story and lore.  The hardcore raiders and guilds won't have them, and just tell
 everyone to roll hybrids so they can flesh out their raid nights better.

Is that really all that important to truly hardcore guilds though? I would think they'd rather recruit a geared and experienced Tank than
have to gear up a perfectly good DPSer to now tank(who probably doesn't want to in the first place).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:46:11 AM by Montague »

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11119 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:47 AM

ITT, f13 posters unironically claim not enough people will choose to play DPS classes.

Given that content is anyway shared at a base level, does this even matter?

One spec or another was always going suck anyway.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11120 on: October 06, 2011, 09:48:52 AM

As always people making the anti-hybrid stance in those threads are assuming the class can do everything all at once.  It's still funny.

"Well the gunslinger can toss heals if needed"  

No.. because they'd be heal spec and tossing heals all the time rather than DPS spec.   Does your Ret Paladin jump in to heal when one of the priests dies? No.

It also assumes that the 'pure dps' ACs have no utility at all.  That was WoW's problem and they worked to fix it.  

Or, as Montague points out, that you're going to bother gearing one person for two roles.  Or that said person wants to play either role.  There's an assload of DKs, Paladins, Warriors and Druids in WoW yet still a shortage of tanks because nobody wants to play the damn role.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11121 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:18 AM

Also, the "all tanks/healers/control/dps" are equal meme is transparent bullshit, they are never equal unless they are the same. So I really wouldn't worry.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11122 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:59 AM

Regarding utility, looks like they've shared control across all 8 classes. Sniper emgineering, marauder rage etc. DPS dudes seem to have as much utility as anyone else.

Except they probably didn't spec for it because swtor us almost as retarded as SWG in rewarding monoline speccing.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11123 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:06 AM

Also, the "all tanks/healers/control/dps" are equal meme is transparent bullshit, they are never equal unless they are the same. So I really wouldn't worry.

I have to bet that someone already has a dps spreadsheet for the classes and can tell you the exact class/build/weapon that will produce the maximum dps.   Hardcore guilds will tell their players what class to play, what build to make, and what role to fill based on spreadsheets from beta or shortly after release.  The classes that aren't on the hardcore lists will fill the forums with whines. 

Same as it ever was. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11124 on: October 06, 2011, 10:07:16 AM

I'm not sure I give a crap. I'm playing because its Star wars, and the story stuff looks cool. Number crunching, like with most games for me, will just kill my fun. Its likely not even necessary, I don't believe this game is designed like games of old.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #11125 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:22 AM

Moving onto more important subject, is there wide enough selection of Twilek /dance emotes?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11126 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:02 AM

Moving onto more important subject, is there wide enough selection of Twilek /dance emotes?

Nope.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11127 on: October 06, 2011, 11:59:47 AM

People are forgetting that some of the pure dps specs have lightsabers.

Lightsabers.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11128 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:11 PM

Whatever, I shoot first, motherfuckers!

wtb game pst

God Save the Horn Players
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11129 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:17 PM

Too many of them though.

No truly badass jedi in the history of star wars has been a regular user of more than one single sided lightsabre.

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: