Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Riddick 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riddick  (Read 23496 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:48 AM

Yeaaaaaaah

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 11:32:21 AM

I'm down. And yes, fuck the haters. That just looks cool.

schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 11:34:19 AM

Darniaq, none of the Riddick stuff has really been in any MEANINGFUL order. Mostly due to both the video games being considered canon. As such "time" or rather, "chronology" of the movies and what's happening almost doesn't matter.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:23 AM

This is still somewhere after Chronicles of Riddick, since Karl Urban is back playing the necromonger dude again.  I'm not sure how any of that fits in, but I'm sure it'll either be explained, or no one will bother to give any fucks either way, since that's not the point.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 03:08:13 PM

Darniaq, none of the Riddick stuff has really been in any MEANINGFUL order. Mostly due to both the video games being considered canon. As such "time" or rather, "chronology" of the movies and what's happening almost doesn't matter.

Ah ok. So more standalone affairs than some strict arc. That's fine with me since they're exactly the kind of movie I like.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #75 on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

That flying motorcycle stuff had a stinky whiff of Judge Dredd in it. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 20, 2013, 10:41:28 PM

That flying motorcycle stuff had a stinky whiff of Judge Dredd in it. 

Well he also does the Superman seat grab in XXX.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: July 21, 2013, 08:05:32 AM

Ah ok. So more standalone affairs than some strict arc. That's fine with me since they're exactly the kind of movie I like.
It's kind of like Chapters of the Riddick story from a period of his life. Vin apparently has a handful of things written for the character and he basically fleshes out whatever he likes the most. While they're not exactly high art, every Riddick movie has made it's money back and then gone on to make gangbusters on DVD/Blu-Ray - so he kind of has carte blanche to pump out these movies should he want to. (yes, even chronicles made its money back in worldwide release)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 09:53:10 AM

In the movie business if you turn out winner after winner, monetarily speaking, you get to do pretty much what ever you want.

Is it wrong to have a man crush on Vin?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 12:14:10 PM

If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 12:40:28 PM

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll still respect you in the morning.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:20 PM

In the movie business if you turn out winner after winner, monetarily speaking, you get to do pretty much what ever you want.

Vin Diesel had to take a huge pay cut to make Riddick.  I saw an interview where he was talking about how he used Fast and Furious 6 to make up for the lack of paycheck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 12:55:17 PM

Well, Diesel's huge pay cut still results in millions of dollars. Also, from the beginning he said the Riddick stuff was a labor of love. He's basically just larping in them. (the only acceptable larping ever)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 02:24:38 PM

I like Riddick because he's such an over the top bad ass, but Diesel somehow makes it work.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #84 on: July 21, 2013, 03:27:31 PM

Well, Diesel's huge pay cut still results in millions of dollars. Also, from the beginning he said the Riddick stuff was a labor of love. He's basically just larping in them. (the only acceptable larping ever)

Sigged.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 22, 2013, 06:19:52 AM

Riddick for what it is, is great.  It's an 80's sci-fi/action movie and chronicles is still watchable when it comes on tv. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #86 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:44 PM

Shhh, don't try to explain it.  Just feel it.  Let it flow through you. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 11:00:44 AM

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:33 PM

Plans for more Riddick are already in the works, as Diesel confirmed to THR that Twohy is currently writing the next installment.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 31, 2013, 06:10:58 PM

Shit I hope he didn't leverage my house too.

- Viin
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 01, 2013, 10:56:29 PM

I grabbed the Blu Ray 3-pack they just put out for $5 after my $10 gift card I had. It had the unrated versions of both Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick and I watched both. I didn't notice a difference in Pitch Black really but Chronicles? That's a totally different movie. I remember being 'meh' about it when I saw it in the Theaters and later on cable but the 'director's cut' changed my entire view of that film. You really see the mythology they were going for and realize that the cut we got in the theaters truly was butchered.

I am now going to see this next movie on Friday if I can pull it off!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 01, 2013, 11:29:04 PM

Yeah the director's cut adds some Furyan back story to Chronicles.  It really makes it better.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:38 AM

Signed.

PB was awesome and the director's cut of Chronicles was good value.

I still think his best film was Iron Giant though

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:55 AM

I always liked Chronicles even with its issues. It reminded me of some reason of the game Emperor of the Fading Suns, which I always loved even though it was broken in so many ways.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #94 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:58 PM

The version of Chronicles currently on cable is not the theatrical cut, apparently it's not the Director's Cut from the blu-ray either but something in between, mostly a few seconds added here and there that helps tie the plot together a little better (the Purifier's actions when he meets Riddick aren't quite so random, for example).

Going to watch the blu-ray version sometime soon, see how it compares.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 06, 2013, 09:17:55 AM

Yup he is still getting a big payday and doing something he wants to do for fun so its win win.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:19 AM

I like the way Diesel seems to really care about the stuff he makes, even though it is pop, and not be content with just shoveling out nonsensical crap as long as it makes money (unlike say JJ Abrams).. He has pride in his work. Even Fast & Furious where he has taken over producing, he is trying to close plotholes and create some continuity that makes sense.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #97 on: September 06, 2013, 11:15:30 AM

I always believe it's because he's such a gigantic nerd.  I'd like to think he'd fit in with this crowd in terms of bitching about details.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 06, 2013, 02:09:45 PM

Um, is this good ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #99 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

Um, is this good ?

Not really. It's a much slower paced Pitch Black with some cringe inducing dialog in parts. Plus Riddick is apparently now so awesome he can turn lesbians straight which I'm sure isn't offensive to the gay community at all.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 06, 2013, 08:35:12 PM

Um, is this good ?

Not really. It's a much slower paced Pitch Black with some cringe inducing dialog in parts. Plus Riddick is apparently now so awesome he can turn lesbians straight which I'm sure isn't offensive to the gay community at all.
I havent seen the whole thing yet (going in for a staff screening in about an hour), but I did catch parts of it yesterday night at our early public showing.  Was it ever outright stated she was a lesbian?  She came off more to me as just a tough chick who just wasnt into "guys" given that the average guy in riddick land seemed to be a mongoloid douche.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #101 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:16 PM

If I'm not mistaken, her exact words were "I don't fuck guys".
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 06, 2013, 08:48:13 PM

Saw it.  This was basically sci-fi Rambo+pitch black; or came close to it.    I liked the movie, but didn't love it, nor was it better then the 1st two.  Sackhoff was also too much of a distraction, in a good way though I guess.
Definitely felt like Diesel is setting up for an ongoing thing here; unlike Chronicles which in production was only slated as a one-shot thing.

I can give it a pass with the assumption that there will be more as on its own the movie doesn't stand up.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: September 07, 2013, 04:15:27 AM

Um, is this good ?

Kramer did it first.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:31 AM

If I'm not mistaken, her exact words were "I don't fuck guys".

Saw it quoted in a review: "I don't fuck guys, I fuck them up."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Riddick  
Jump to: