Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:48:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1103664 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3290 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:51 AM

So...if anyone is interested, I'd like to know what I did right, but more importantly what I might have done wrong in this game:

http://mwreplays.com/replay/TP0KNDVTRMHV/

Edit: What do I need to watch these videos?  I can download them but lack the program required to play them for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:28:58 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3291 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:48 AM

So...if anyone is interested, I'd like to know what I did right, but more importantly what I might have done wrong in this game:

You advanced appropriately without exposing yourself and always progressed to a good position. Mind you this was against some very weak opposition.
On the wrong side at the very start of the game you stopped out in the open to shoot a scout, even backed up a little. This could get you killed at higher tiers, take the shot and move to cover asap. I know we're looking at low tiers here with one arty, so you were essentially low risk, but don't accrue bad habits from playing against noobs.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3292 on: February 17, 2013, 11:56:04 AM

So, at long last, I've installed this game.  Been meaning to for years, but for some stupid reason, never did.  Can somebody please write out a very quick guide that briefly explains things, or link me to a good starter?  I've been googling, but its mostly been shit.  I'm doing random games, and figuring out things by trial and error, but I'm sure one of you vets here could give me a one or two paragraph summary of what I should do, and how to advance.  Particularly, if you could explain how the whole research, crew member, tank buying shit works (or more specifically, what I should advance in), that would be a big help.  I'm afraid to spend anything until I know exactly whats going on!

Did you play the tutorial? Everything from Tier 1 through 3 is meant for you to get into the game. Get a feel for the game. Tier 4 shows you what will be coming your way if you stay in the current line of tanks (at least approximately).
Check out the wiki to see how some basic mechanics work, what people have to say about certain tanks and just go from there!

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3293 on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:35 PM

Edit: What do I need to watch these videos?  I can download them but lack the program required to play them for some reason.

Exit WoT and try to launch the file - should open up WoT again and play the file.

Allegedly, a future patch is supposed to enable the ability to play replays without exiting WoT to play them.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3294 on: February 17, 2013, 02:39:55 PM

Thanks. 

Watched the video and the only comments I'd make are more style differences.

1) I never ever stop in the open to take a shot at someone.  Just a habit from playing in tier 8 where arty will 1-shot me.

2) I am more patient with shots, particularly on a TD.  I'll let the recticle shrink before shooting unless I'm at point-blank range.

Other than that, nice match!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #3295 on: February 17, 2013, 04:34:16 PM

I'll admit, some of those were definitely snap shots I didn't expect to land, but you never know when the RNG will help you out.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3296 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:34 AM

Anybody else have a problem with the game declining all your credit cards?  Decided to buy some gold for a month premium membership, but it declines all my cards.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3297 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:43 AM

Are you sure it's the game declining and not your bank?  Since they switched to PayPal and PayPal is a known scamhole a lot of banks won't work will auto-decline.  I had the same problem with Neverwinter and had to call my bank directly to authorize it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3298 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:10 AM

And speaking of recording - is there any demonstrated performance hit for having it enabled?
Writing out 1 MB of data to disk over a 5 minute period is a trivial task for a modern system so my feeling is the answer is no performance hit.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3299 on: February 18, 2013, 05:06:30 PM

Are you sure it's the game declining and not your bank?  Since they switched to PayPal and PayPal is a known scamhole a lot of banks won't work will auto-decline.  I had the same problem with Neverwinter and had to call my bank directly to authorize it.

The payment defaults to PayPal but you can still select a direct CC authorization from the tabs at the beginning of the payment process.  Upper left corner of first payment window.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3300 on: February 19, 2013, 04:21:23 AM

Yeah, I've been doing that rather than paypal.  Used cards from different banks and different payment processors (VISA and Mastercard), and got the same result.  Hrm, guess I'll call my bank when I have some time.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3301 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:39 AM

Blarg.  Called up CC and Bank.  Both of them say they don't even see any attempt to charge the card.  The Decline in on WoT's end.  Trying to get through their UltimatePay site for help, but trying to contact them directly doesn't seem to work, and their answer page on CC declines basically says its my fault and to go fuck myself.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Figured I'd maybe try paypal out.  Signed up for an account, but then it would only let me charge a card through it if I 'verified' my account.  Which required me to not only give them my bank account number and routing number, to also give them the username and password to log into my BoA account.  Fuck.  That.  Shit.

-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3302 on: February 19, 2013, 10:27:10 AM

So it's not accepting any of your CCs from ANy banks?  Got an AmEx or Visa gift card lying around to give a shot?  Seems odd they wouldn't accept any CCs.

Send me the # I'll give it a shot.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3303 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:29 AM

Eh, I'm probably setting off their fraud alert somehow given my current location and cards addresses.  Still, no other site on the internet has given me any problems so far, and it still does this even when using a VPN to give me an IP in California.  Maybe it will work later, who knows.

-Stephen Colbert
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3304 on: February 19, 2013, 12:56:20 PM

I've heard of some of my clan mates having this issue. In one instance, it was a mismatch between the billing address for your card and the billing address you enter into WoT's payment system. Make sure your billing address is accurate.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #3305 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:52 AM

The players in this game are definitely getting worse. Every single match now has multiple 44-38% winners in it. Either every 2nd grader in America is suddenly playing, or a new cheap or free bot is getting distributed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3306 on: February 21, 2013, 08:53:18 AM

There's certainly enough hits on a google search but I'm not touching them with a 10' pole from work.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3307 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:18 AM

The players in this game are definitely getting worse. Every single match now has multiple 44-38% winners in it. Either every 2nd grader in America is suddenly playing, or a new cheap or free bot is getting distributed.

... and I get called an angry, old, and elitest gamer because I prefer a subscription model. 

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3308 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:50 AM

I like F2P (and pay to play more efficiently) just fine. They just need better bot-spotting tools, and/or more severe punishments for AFK shitlords.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3309 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:08 AM

... and I get called an angry, old, and elitest gamer because I prefer a subscription model. 

Pretty sure that subscription models haven't stopped botting, ever.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3310 on: February 21, 2013, 11:22:53 AM

I like F2P (and pay to play more efficiently) just fine. They just need better bot-spotting tools, and/or more severe punishments for AFK shitlords.
Here here.

I put more money down on tanks than I usually do for a single video game, but I've gotten incredibly high amounts of vidya entertainment out of it over the past 2 years - stomping tanks, playing in tournaments, pushing tankbros up hills, experimenting with mods, laughing at nazis, laughing at Wargaming, doing clan wars and getting paid. The free to play model has helped me pick when I want to dedicate my playing time and ignore the cosmetic fluff.

There is of course always the temptation of going full Tank Romney on all the 47%ers.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3311 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:47 PM

Pretty sure that subscription models haven't stopped botting, ever.

Not the point.  I don't want to start this debate on yet another thread, but mindsets change when you are paying for a service versus coming and going for free.  It's pretty basic psychology. 

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #3312 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:31 PM

Ok, going to show my newb card, but...how does one see players' win percentages from within a match?

Fear the Backstab!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3313 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:25 PM

Ok, going to show my newb card, but...how does one see players' win percentages from within a match?

There is a mod called XVM that will tell you. 

Use it at your own risk.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3314 on: February 21, 2013, 01:37:15 PM

Available here

Make sure to read ALL the install instructions carefully. It is overly complex. Once you get it up and running it is cool though.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3315 on: February 22, 2013, 08:38:56 AM

Once you get it up and running it is cool though.

Cool? I'd call it soul crushing, personally. :P
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3316 on: February 22, 2013, 03:35:34 PM

Once you get it up and running it is cool though.

Cool? I'd call it soul crushing, personally. :P

Blight on the game IMHO.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3317 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:47 PM

Blight on the game IMHO.

I agree.  It gives rerolls ammunition to berate others. 

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3318 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:15 PM

5x weekend. Drink heavily to deal with the sheer volume of stupid incoming.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3319 on: February 22, 2013, 05:09:10 PM

God help us. ACK!
WayAbvPar

Reply #3320 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:20 PM

God help us. ACK!

On the other hand, things like this can happen-

Victory!
Battle: Serene Coast Friday, February 22, 2013 7:37:33 PM
Vehicle: PzKpfw VIB Tiger II
Experience received: 11,670 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 71,589
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

In love

e- added replay

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:58:13 PM by WayAbvPar »

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3321 on: February 22, 2013, 09:07:11 PM

Ha!  I got Garbad...but I still lost. Heartbreak

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:08:54 PM by Ginaz »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3322 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:00 PM

Even the amazing wins suck. Every match I played tonight involved one team or the other just sucking terribly. If it was their team, we rolled them. If it was ours, we died. If it was both, we got a terrible mess where everyone should be ashamed to have been involved.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3323 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:48 PM

Even the amazing wins suck. Every match I played tonight involved one team or the other just sucking terribly. If it was their team, we rolled them. If it was ours, we died. If it was both, we got a terrible mess where everyone should be ashamed to have been involved.

Same here.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3324 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:07 PM

Just ran into Garbad AND camador tooned up with a FORGE guy. I got my team's only 2 kills Facepalm

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: