Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DarkSpace version 1.483412098450320 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DarkSpace version 1.483412098450320  (Read 1108 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: April 22, 2005, 04:28:42 PM

Apparently there's a new version of DarkSpace out that is suppose to save drowning kittens and call the Devil a ninny.. has anyone played recently?

I swear I played it at one point but looking at the screenshots didn't ring any bells. Looks a lot like EVE to me.

They have a beta client out that anyone can download and test if you are interested in giving it a shot... if you aren't into sissy golf games, of course.

- Viin
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 06:25:27 PM

I played it. Not recently. The instanced solar systems are fun but the MMO world is all locked up long ago by giant hegemonies with battleships and space stations. Good luck even breaking into that driving around in a podunk little freighter.

Again the instanced solar systems are fun (game basically lasts a set time period or until one team wins). You shoot around in your star ship colonizing planets, fighting the other team, and destroying their bases. You gain rank which opens up more types of ships. The ships look like Star Trek. Fighting in a nebula cloud actually hampers your visibiliy and weapons and such. When you get blown up you respawn at the ship depot or whatever.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 10:29:24 PM

Is that the game where it takes like 20 minutes Real Time to build a scout?

If it is, I thought it blew ass.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:09:51 PM

I don't know if anyone cares, but I took a look at this game just to jog my memory..

It's actually not a bad game, it can be fun if you have someone to shoot who's smaller than you or if you have a bunch of good guys to help you out. It leans heavily towards Freelancer (that recentish incarnation of the Privateer series). You have to gain rank by completing objectives in order to unlock the bigger and badder ships. But even with the starter scouts I had fun blowing up an enemy scout and got real close to taking out a battlecrusier (with a the help of some planetary based missile attacks).

Anywho, it's kinda fun but I could certainly see issues with it in "MMO" mode - big ships are l33t! Interestingly, you can actually run your own server and play with just your friends. So you could easily make everyone start on the same footing for a play session that lasts a couple hours (more like VGA planets meets Allegiance meets Freelancer). I think that's where the real fun is. Screw continuity.

I'll be playing on the test server tonight if anyone wants to stop in and say hi! Since it's free to play the beta, and I don't seem to be getting better at Shots Online, I'll waste some time there.  :mrgreen:

-Edit-
Oh yah, I couldn't get the tutorial to work because I didn't have the badge needed to get access to the one ship the tutorial makes available. damn it. I don't know if that's because it's the beta client or what.

-Edit-
Strazos: I think you are thinking of EVE. Everything in EVE is time based, with battleships taking a week or more to make, but the idea is not to make the stuff you want to fly but rather to make a ton of ships to sell to noobs who don't have a production pipeline already going.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 02:13:32 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 07:26:50 PM

No, definately not EVE...it was something I dld'ed a beta for within the last 8 months, and it looks like this.

Though I thought the name was Dominion or something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DarkSpace version 1.483412098450320  
Jump to: