Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:48:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 957640 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1470 on: August 18, 2014, 04:53:57 PM

You want star citizen fans to follow him here?

We need something to entertain us.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1471 on: August 18, 2014, 04:55:25 PM

You want star citizen fans to follow him here?

You shd interview this guy who made this quote instead

guess who?
if you want to go to his website, www.<typehisfullname>.org

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #1472 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:37 PM

Have him join f13. It's almost time for the yearly donation drive and he strikes me as a big fucking idiot that I want to take potshots at for funsies.

Hell, I'd donate $20 if you can get an interview with Chris Roberts and write something up about all this shit. Of course you'd probably have to hide this thread in a private forum for a bit just in case he decides to research the site.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1473 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:43 PM

Anything taken to an extreme is bad.

Extreme breast fondling sounds pretty okay.

Depends on whether you go up to random strangers on the street to do it. 

*snip*

That'd just make it way more interesting.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1474 on: August 19, 2014, 05:56:37 AM

He is  already not talking to us.  He thinks we are taking his wife's side, even though we have been friends for a decade.  Telling him that he needs help triggered a whole "you guys have been talking to my wife" speech. I'm not going to get involved anymore with it,  I have enough of my own problems.  This whole thing makes me examine my own forms of escapism more closely though.

Have you considered a sign-off "this is my last attempt to get through to you on this" text?
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:39 AM

$18,500 is enough to buy a real boat that you can go sailing on in the ocean.  I think the most I've ever spent on a game is $400 or so during the time I played WoW.  The total cost of playing WoW since launch is probably around $1,800 or so now, so for $18,500 you could play an MMO for 100 years.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:20:09 PM by Job601 »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: August 19, 2014, 12:43:32 PM

This reminds me I haven't played HEX in over a month or two.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1477 on: August 19, 2014, 01:44:16 PM

He would have been better off spending the money on literal hookers and blow; at least then he would have had some fun before the inevitable divorce.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1478 on: August 19, 2014, 03:49:09 PM

B-but paying for sex is wrong, man.
You westerners have no moral values!
*places $1000 bets on world cup matches*

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1479 on: August 19, 2014, 07:31:47 PM

He would have been better off spending the money on literal hookers and blow; at least then he would have had some fun before the inevitable divorce.

Coca-Cola stock would have paid him over $500 in dividends on that money in the last year. That's enough to support my entire yearly gaming budget.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1480 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:25 PM

Paying that much for something like Star Citizen is not the problem, it is symptom of a much bigger problem.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #1481 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:11 PM

Paying that much for something like Star Citizen is not the problem, it is symptom of a much bigger problem.

Obviously.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1482 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:48 AM

Yeah the guy is fruit loops. Seems to go without saying.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1483 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:23 AM

Coca-Cola stock would have paid him over $500 in dividends on that money in the last year. That's enough to support my entire yearly gaming budget.

Totally off topic, but since you mentioned it and I'll forget otherwise; thanks for mentioning Coke stock somewhere else about a year agoas it was one of the companies I didn't have in my playfolio.  It's been doing well. up 23% since purchase! Only Tesla's beat it in that timeframe.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1484 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:12 AM

Good! Yeah I bought some of it back when as well. It's been one of my more consistent performers when you take into account the income it throws off as well.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1485 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:29 AM

Tesla is like the stock market version of this game.  All hype and people just tripping over themselves to throw money at it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1486 on: August 20, 2014, 04:42:46 PM

Tesla is like the stock market version of this game.  All hype and people just tripping over themselves to throw money at it.

No, it's different. The fun thing about Tesla's is so long as you aren't a fanatic you can ride that hype train to more money instead of less.

Good! Yeah I bought some of it back when as well. It's been one of my more consistent performers when you take into account the income it throws off as well.

Yeah, my playfolio started about dividend stocks and when you mentioned Coke I went, "well, DUH how'd I miss that one?"

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1487 on: August 20, 2014, 07:05:39 PM

I like Sysco as well. It's up 11% from when I picked it up last year.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1488 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:27 PM

No, it's different. The fun thing about Tesla's is  it's real.

There.

As mentioned a bunch, $18.5k on nothing is just a symptom.

That aside, any bet on this game is pure pipe dream anyway. "Insanity" or "strategic investment" is entirely retroective to whether this launches ever and doesn't suck even if it does launch. Anyone who's thrown even $20 at this has more disposable income to throw in the fireplace than I do smiley
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1489 on: August 21, 2014, 03:27:23 AM

The 53M stretch goal is a paid (?) job at Cloud Imperium Games.

“Have you been wronged by your superiors? Has the member of your organization entrusted with watching the funds, been watching them go into their own pocket? Think you don’t have any recourse? You’re wrong. Fully licensed and bonded to work within the UEE and beyond, the Independent Arbitrator’s Guild allows citizens (and civilians, we don’t discriminate!) to file complaints against (or within) private organizations. Petition cases with our IAG representatives to have your voice heard and restitutions made. Is your business less than legitimate? IAG is only here to judge the matters you want us to. Confidentiality is guaranteed.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1490 on: August 21, 2014, 05:23:50 AM

No, it's different. The fun thing about Tesla's is  it's real.

There.

No, no, no. The cars are real, yes, but the company is as of yet unproven long-term and the stock price feels really inflated due to hype. They still have plenty of chances to fall on their face, especially if the 3 doesn't deliver what's already been promised.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1491 on: August 21, 2014, 05:47:06 AM

It's pretty unfair to Tesla to compare them  to something as mindboggling as Star Citzen.

Tesla is currently selling 2500 Model S per Week. They have a proven business plan and are already at break even point. They have lots of assets, an interesting and valuable stack of patents, technology and know how. They already license their technology to Toyota and Daimler Benz, have several Joint Ventures with other car companies and invest in the long term development of the company. They already steal arket share from BMW, Daimler and Audi in the Luxury sedan Segment (E Class, 5 Series, A7). Sales of those luxury sedans droppen by 10% since the Model S went on sale.

Even if growth slows down or Musk tires of the company it won't go under. Worst case is that it will be bought by a competitor for it's assets and know how. Even if they never ever sell  cars they will be around because of their battery technology expertise and know how in battery production and design for automotive.

Tesla already has a clearer business case and a better business model than Google and Facebook or indeed most of those Silicon Valley Internet Companies and they also burned a lot less venture capital than for example Twitter. While researching, developing and building cars which in theory requires a lot more capital than running a website. Tesla indeed has a better chance of surviving the next few years than 1/3 of the established car companies out there competing in an overcrowded and shrinking market.

The stock might be overvalued and a company that only existed for a few years cannot prove that it can sustain that success long term, obviously but as a Blue Chip company it's far off from something as nuts as Star Citizen.

Let's put it another way. Until now everything Tesla has claimed it would do did in fact happen. So if they deliver on the promise of the Model X and Model 3 and can deliver it with the specs and at the price point they claim, then a lot of established car companies will be in lots and lots of trouble.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1492 on: August 21, 2014, 06:47:41 AM

Haha seriously? Tesla  at $30 billion market cap while selling less than 100,000 cars per year is a huge joke and just as dumb as this game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1493 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:51 AM

See?  Speedy agrees with m... oh shit.

On a serious note I'm not saying the company is worthless, I like the company and the tech but it does not deserve a market cap that puts it at half the value of GM or Ford.  That's crazy.  Their market share is negligible and every major car company is coming up with their own tech and take on electric cars.  That said if you bought a year ago and have been enjoying the ride good stuff, I'm envious.  I hope you get out at the right time, whenever that may be, I have no idea.

They also just had to double the length of their warranty to calm peoples nerves after reports of malfunctions.  If those battery packs all start failing in a couple years they will have to replace every single one and they are quite expensive.  Putting an eight year warrenty on one of your most expensive experimental components is a risky gamble.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:51:21 AM by Miasma »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1494 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:54 AM

Haha seriously? Tesla  at $30 billion market cap while selling less than 100,000 cars per year is a huge joke and just as dumb as this game.

Ha, please keep the false equivalencies to politics  Ohhhhh, I see.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1495 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:06 PM

Towels.

I... guess they're in The Guide?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1496 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:23 PM

He's just taking the piss now, isn't he?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1497 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:40 PM

30 bucks for a shitty towel? I guess it is useful for the tears and spooge in equal measure being shed by this game's fanbase.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1498 on: August 23, 2014, 06:44:58 AM

Going to post this here instead of the Elite thread, cause that thread actually has useful information in it   Ohhhhh, I see.

As someone that was never big into space sims, that smuggling video in Elite is awesome.  But more to the point, it's clearly shows that Elite is very much focused on gameplay design and using realism to drive gameplay as a whole (temperature + scanning) while Star Citizen seems to be using realism in ship design but hasn't really shown how any of that is influencing the gameplay at all yet.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1499 on: August 23, 2014, 03:48:06 PM

But when your ship explodes, it explodes into real pieces, man! Realistically even!  why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1500 on: August 23, 2014, 07:01:02 PM

So, do they place realistic explosives in every ship then, or do they just get holes and any fire gets extinguished by the vacuum?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1501 on: August 24, 2014, 07:16:32 AM

A 20 years old David Braben (and Ian Bell).

A 23 years old Chris Roberts.

I think their taste in clothing back then represents their game design style better than words.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1502 on: August 24, 2014, 11:24:08 AM

Holy God. Did he steal New Kids on the Block's wardrobe?

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #1503 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:31 PM

Laugh all you want, but that shirt will be available in the SC store for a mere $59,95 any day now!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1504 on: August 25, 2014, 12:11:34 AM

Towels.

I... guess they're in The Guide?

Hey, at least people who buy the towels will actually end up with something to show for the money they spent.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: