Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1303766 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3745 on: May 01, 2011, 03:38:30 PM

I like Abercrombie (the first 3)

Just finished those, I liked how the first one built slowly until near the end and then went nuts.

Of the eighty-three million Feist books, I liked the ones he did with Wurst -- the ones on Kelewan -- more than the others, simply because the world was novel and well done.

I reread those three every year or so.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3746 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:43 PM

"Influencer: The Power to Change Anything"

I'm only 20% of the way through it and it is riveting in how knowledgeable it is on human behavior and psychology. I've been reading these books as a way to help deal with my own issues and psychoanalyze the self. The last year has seen significant gains in personal happiness, confidence, and knowledge as a result.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #3747 on: May 03, 2011, 12:08:14 AM

Finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen a week or so ago - ten fat novels, all great in their own way.

I to was perusing that series in the book store the other day. Does it have an ending or is it another Wheel of Time thing? I couldnt tell from what I saw on the shelf.

What was your over all impression?
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3748 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:29 AM

I am UP TO DATE on Wheel of Time for the first time since probably 1996 or so.  The last two books were really pretty good.  Robert Jordan writes better from the grave, who knew?   Guess I should check out Brandon Sanderson's other books.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3749 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:50 AM

Brandon does write rather well, I have to admit. I'm waiting for the last book in the WoT series to be released before I slog through the entire series again, but from what I've read of Brandon earlier, I'm hopeful. I think the series was left in good hands.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3750 on: May 03, 2011, 01:46:19 AM

Anyone read Heroes yet ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3751 on: May 03, 2011, 06:03:44 AM

Finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen a week or so ago - ten fat novels, all great in their own way.

I to was perusing that series in the book store the other day. Does it have an ending or is it another Wheel of Time thing? I couldnt tell from what I saw on the shelf.

Malazan series is complete at 10 novels, last one just released a few months ago now.  I still need to get it, but I personally love the series.  Not sure if Erikson or Esslemont are going to write more books in the universe though.

Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3752 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:19 AM

It has a great ending with book 10.  A few people even lived.

The series as a whole has a few slow patches when it's the POV of someone you don't care for vs half the series being crap like WoT.

And he actually finished the series vs Martin who won't finish his at the rate he's going.

In terms of greatest fantasy series ever written I'd go LOTR, Malazan, and I'd have to think about 3rd place for a while.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3753 on: May 03, 2011, 06:14:04 AM

Malazan series is complete at 10 novels, last one just released a few months ago now.  I still need to get it, but I personally love the series.  Not sure if Erikson or Esslemont are going to write more books in the universe though.

Erikson said he was doing two more trilogies in that universe. One was an early life of Anomander Rake sounding thing, and I forget what the other was about.

Esslemount still doesn't write well enough for me to get worked up about his plans.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3754 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:12 AM

Not all loose ends are tied up, not everything is explained, but there is an actual ending to the main conflict. It's not a typical Big Bad vs. The World story so even that main conflict is not easily understood and doesn't start really coming together until the last few books. There are a lot of side and ancillary plotlines and characters, most of which are quite satisfying on their own. It's a complex story in a complex world, and the reader is kinda dropped in the middle of it and asked to just hang on for the ride. Erikson manages to combine a whole spectrum of characters from lowly footsoldiers to epic centuries-old magical badasses and somehow it all works without feeling cheesy or contrived. It has an overall grim, serious tone, but there are moments of levity.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #3755 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:55 AM

I don't mind the tone of the series, but the first two books so far have been a bit muddled.  There's a lot going on with the series, but I think it requires a lot more willingness to commit than I have.  When entire casts of characters are going to be sidelined for a book or two, it's a bit much to ask when the books are in the 500+ page count range.   

Another 4500+ pages of bouncing around between multiple casts of characters, complete with multiple continents, cities, and plotlines isn't exactly appealing to me right now.   

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3756 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:02 AM

I can definitely see that kind of response to the books. They are dense and there is a huge cast, you may like a character and he won't show up again for two or three thousand pages of reading. But somehow they just clicked with me, I'd start each book and suddenly I'd be done and eager for the next.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3757 on: May 03, 2011, 12:11:39 PM

Make sure you like potsherds and ruins. There's a lot of them. Also, I think he fell in love with the word "sussuration" around Book 5.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3758 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:09 PM

I think f13 is geekspeek for "Saharan Vagina".
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3759 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:30 PM

I did not like the first Malazan book at all.  I even read it twice since it got such high praise from various corners.  But it just did not float my boat, and I haven't gone on with the rest.   Something about the prose style is the best I can come up with.   Sussuration is an awesome word, though.  Maybe book one needs more sussuration.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3760 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:56 PM

Make sure you like potsherds and ruins. There's a lot of them. Also, I think he fell in love with the word "sussuration" around Book 5.

I might have to read these just to see if they out-sperge the blacksmithing stuff in the 2nd book in KJ Parker's Scavenger trilogy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3761 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:48 PM

I think f13 is geekspeek for "Saharan Vagina".

You're allowed to like books with glaring flaws. It's OK.  We all do.  

The sand is squarely in your mangina, friend.

I did not like the first Malazan book at all.  I even read it twice since it got such high praise from various corners.  But it just did not float my boat, and I haven't gone on with the rest.   Something about the prose style is the best I can come up with.   Sussuration is an awesome word, though.  Maybe book one needs more sussuration.

The first book is not as good as the rest.  He's still really finding his way as a writer.   I read book 2 first and went back to 1.  The difference was noticeable.  He also changes some characters around after book 1 going forward.  It seems like he noticed the weaknesses as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:31:03 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3762 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:21 PM

The sand is squarely in your mangina, friend.
I was hoping for a more rounded beach sand.

No fiction is doing anything for me right now, I've tried to get into four different books. I think reading textbooks for a month solid broke something.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3763 on: May 03, 2011, 01:10:46 PM

I did not like the first Malazan book at all.  I even read it twice since it got such high praise from various corners.  But it just did not float my boat, and I haven't gone on with the rest.   Something about the prose style is the best I can come up with.   Sussuration is an awesome word, though.  Maybe book one needs more sussuration.
Tiffany Aching is fond of 'susruss' herself.

As is, IIRC, Barbara Hambly.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3764 on: May 03, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

Just started  The Crippled God.

Dust of Dreams was good, but the last 6% of the book everything kinda goes  ACK!

I'm very curious what he's going to wrap up and how he's going to do it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #3765 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:53 PM

Okay so with like 4 thumbs up (and a huge recommendation putting it second to LOTR), one so-so and one did not like; I will clearly have to buy and read the Malazan series.

Right now sitting in the to be read box I have Martin's first in the Game of Thrones, and a boxed collection by Stephen Lawhead which looks to be a retelling of the Robinhood series.
I guess I will grab the Malazan and move them to the front of the line.

No fiction is doing anything for me right now, I've tried to get into four different books.
What do you normally like to read? What books have you really liked in the past?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3766 on: May 04, 2011, 07:07:17 AM

Malazan is in no way better than Game of Thrones. It's just longer and deeper.

Giggity.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3767 on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:39 AM

Okay so with like 4 thumbs up (and a huge recommendation putting it second to LOTR), one so-so and one did not like; I will clearly have to buy and read the Malazan series.

I'll just leave the comment I usually leave with someone considering the Malazan series.  If arch-mage, sword armed (swords instead of arms), plate-mailed, undead Tyrannosaurs are something your brain can process without kicking you in the stem and causing instant blindness and paralysis then, enjoy.

Me?  I couldn't make the leap.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3768 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:42 AM

Malazan is in no way better than Game of Thrones. It's just longer and deeper. completed.

Giggity.
FIFY.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3769 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:04 AM

What do you normally like to read? What books have you really liked in the past?
I work at a library and I'm engaged to marry the fiction librarian. Thanks anyway!
arch-mage, sword armed (swords instead of arms), plate-mailed, undead Tyrannosaurs
They were more like velociraptors.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3770 on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:46 AM

arch-mage, sword armed (swords instead of arms), plate-mailed, undead Tyrannosaurs

The first ones were.  Later on as they got near the mother thingie they were described as being nearly 20' tall.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3771 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:38 AM

This is all just begging for some really bad photoshopping.

-Rasix
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3772 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:17 AM

Malazan is in no way better than Game of Thrones. It's just longer and deeper. completed.

Giggity.
FIFY.

That's the point. The Malazan series is finished. If GRRM keels over tomorrow would you still think ASOIAF is better? Or what if GRRM says screw it and rushes out an ending to get all the fans off his back?

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3773 on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:15 AM

The first ones were.  Later on as they got near the mother thingie they were described as being nearly 20' tall.
This sounds suspiciously like what happens in a D&D game if you're plowing through the GM's pet creations too easily.

Did rocks fall and everyone die at the end?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3774 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:32 PM

That's the point. The Malazan series is finished. If GRRM keels over tomorrow would you still think ASOIAF is better? Or what if GRRM says screw it and rushes out an ending to get all the fans off his back?

Yes, because his characters are distinct.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3775 on: May 04, 2011, 12:16:04 PM

Halfway through Kameron Hurley's God's War. Kind of tough to get into at first but it gets rolling pretty well. Reminds me of Mieville in some ways, without the huge world-building. Interesting, intensely flawed protagonist.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3776 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:46 PM

This sounds suspiciously like what happens in a D&D game if you're plowing through the GM's pet creations too easily.

Did rocks fall and everyone die at the end?

No, the insane-brood-mother thought that the character was one of her kids, so she ended up breaking most of his bones by hugging him.  Unfortunately for the Bad Guy, stealing that character pissed off the vain demi-god sorceress (with masked ninja/samurai butlers) and the undead neanderthal sword-master, who start taking apart one section of said bad guy's empire to get to the capital.

What?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3777 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:19 PM

Still better than invisible ninjas.

Invisible fucking ninjas. In a tournament campaign. Set in Greyhawk.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #3778 on: May 04, 2011, 11:13:09 PM

If arch-mage, sword armed (swords instead of arms), plate-mailed, undead Tyrannosaurs are something your brain can process without kicking you in the stem and causing instant blindness and paralysis then, enjoy.

Fuuuuuuuuck. You're kidding right?  ACK!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3779 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:43 AM

I'll be fair and say that I think that was book 5 or 6, and that up to then I thought the series was really very good.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: