Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1303737 times)
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #3080 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:14 PM

Peter F. Hamilton's latest book, The Evolutionary Void has just been released.  Haven't had a chance to read it, but the previous 2 books in this series and his previous series in the same universe, The Commonwealth Series, are pretty good space opera, so I'm looking forward to this.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3081 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:42 PM

I bought hardcover old-ish editions of The Iliad and Odyssey. They look nice sitting on my shelf.

I should read more.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3082 on: September 21, 2010, 01:29:51 AM

So, you guys herd of The Black Company? I think it's p. sweet.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3083 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:40 AM

No need to be fatuous, twat.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3084 on: September 21, 2010, 04:43:28 PM

Peter F. Hamilton's latest book, The Evolutionary Void has just been released.  Haven't had a chance to read it, but the previous 2 books in this series and his previous series in the same universe, The Commonwealth Series, are pretty good space opera, so I'm looking forward to this.

I just finished this. It was okay but shows his continual inability to write a really compelling ending. It sort of meanders around a bit for the sole purpose of putting a bunch of people in one place which didn't really do it for me. Too few of his action sequences which I think are really where he takes his great world building into a cool place. He needs to ditch these characters at this point as he has used them up. I thought the callbacks tacked into the very end of EV were really kinda pointless as you have to have a VERY good memory of a completely different series (3000 pages ago) to really even give a damn.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3085 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:50 AM

I had planned on reading the Void trilogy when he finished it, but being in the middle of the Malazan series has completely spoiled me for other authors right now.

Fiancee got stuck in the amazingly lucky place of having four month's worth of book budget with two months to spend it. Well, kind of lucky. There's no way she can procedurally achieve that, since all the orders need processing, but never mind that. She could use some suggestions for essential fiction, the best stuff you guys can think of. Preferably something in hardcover with links to BN or Amazon.

I've already submitted the entire Malazan series in hardcover, the Cook Black Company series in paperback omnibus, and Moorcock's Elric series in omnibus. Don't want to be too sci-fi/fantasy heavy but covering the essentials if they're not in the system is what we're shooting for. (We already have Martin, Jordan, Feist, Modesitt, etc on standing order)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3086 on: September 22, 2010, 07:14:08 AM

I just finished this. It was okay but shows his continual inability to write a really compelling ending. It sort of meanders around a bit for the sole purpose of putting a bunch of people in one place which didn't really do it for me. Too few of his action sequences which I think are really where he takes his great world building into a cool place. He needs to ditch these characters at this point as he has used them up. I thought the callbacks tacked into the very end of EV were really kinda pointless as you have to have a VERY good memory of a completely different series (3000 pages ago) to really even give a damn.
Stephenson is like that too. Man cannot write a good ending to save his life.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3087 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:05 AM

Fiancee got stuck in the amazingly lucky place of having four month's worth of book budget with two months to spend it. Well, kind of lucky. There's no way she can procedurally achieve that, since all the orders need processing, but never mind that. She could use some suggestions for essential fiction, the best stuff you guys can think of. Preferably something in hardcover with links to BN or Amazon.

She could always order my books.  awesome, for real  /duck

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3088 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:54 AM

She could always order my books.  awesome, for real  /duck
Suggestion submitted. Indie cyberpunk to make us seem all cutting edge :P Probably have to get them through amazon, though. I'll push for them and try to put up a cyberpunk or indie display when they comes in to get it out in front of people.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3089 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:55 AM

I've just begun reading the temporal void book (well, I'm halfway in), and I'm beginning to wonder who the fuck this peter f. hamilton guy is, and where the old night dawn's trilogy PFH is, because at least the night dawn's trilogy was so compelling to read I couldn't put it down, right up until the last 200 pages of the 3rd book, at which point I got  the impression he went "oh fuck fuck fuck, I have to wrap this up", only to do a piss-poor job of it.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3090 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:30 AM

Lizard Music is one of the first (and best) novels I ever read, and a long-overdue hardcover reprinting is coming out in January, if she's allowed to preorder now and get the books later.

John Scalzi is good contemporary sci-fi.

If you've got her covered on sci-fi/fantasy, I suggest some Nero Wolfe to help round out the mystery section.  All the recent editions are paperback, sadly.

Got Lovecraft?  That's essential, and continually being reprinted.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3091 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:00 AM

Yeah, I stopped reading Hamilton after the end of the Night's Dawn books, same as I stopped reading Stephenson after Cryptonomicon.  They were both good rides completely ruined by the endings, for me.  It made me sad.

Still working on some of Glen Cooks older books.  Finished up the second Starfishers book, and that one was really well done, but significantly different from the first.  The reprint of the third book is due out at the beginning of next month, so I think I'll have to pick that up.  Working through Tower of Fear right now, which is an okay fantasy politics novel, but hardly one of his greatest works.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3092 on: September 22, 2010, 10:56:09 AM

I've just begun reading the temporal void book (well, I'm halfway in), and I'm beginning to wonder who the fuck this peter f. hamilton guy is, and where the old night dawn's trilogy PFH is, because at least the night dawn's trilogy was so compelling to read I couldn't put it down, right up until the last 200 pages of the 3rd book, at which point I got  the impression he went "oh fuck fuck fuck, I have to wrap this up", only to do a piss-poor job of it.
Glad I'm not the only one. I liked Night's Dawn a lot (and didn't even particularly hate the ending), but the first Void book bored me to tears and I dropped it without even finishing it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3093 on: September 22, 2010, 11:45:41 AM

Got Lovecraft?  That's essential, and continually being reprinted.
Previous fic librarian was a major Lovecraft fan. We don't have a lot, but what we do have is generally the authoritative versions.

I was fucking LIVID, like pissed off for the rest of the day, when I saw that our first edition Dunwich Horror was discarded and sold on Amazon through our discard storefront. Now I'm upset again, it's the first Lovecraft I read as a kid, that actual copy.

Hah. While grabbing a link for that paragraph, saw another Amazon marketplace store had a copy in good condition, library discard, for under $10 shipped. Fuck it, going to soothe the savage beast. Not 100%, as it's not the copy I read when I was a kid, but eh.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3094 on: September 22, 2010, 11:58:23 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for sci fi/fantasy books written in the past 5 years?  I'm in a rut-  falling back on previously read books and series. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3095 on: September 22, 2010, 12:27:50 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for sci fi/fantasy books written in the past 5 years?  I'm in a rut-  falling back on previously read books and series. 

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1)

- Viin
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3096 on: September 22, 2010, 12:48:02 PM

Mistborn series isn't that bad.  I don't exactly love it, but it's entertaining. 

Anansi Boys  by Gaiman was pretty good and within that time frame.  Reading the The Passage by Justin Cronin right now and it's excellent, although I'm sure most people are tired of vampires (these aren't sparkly or even clothed).

Most stuff I've been reading has it's roots older than 5 years.  Either a new book in a series or just something that's new to me, but old.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3097 on: September 22, 2010, 01:58:55 PM

John Scalzi, in particular Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3098 on: September 22, 2010, 05:18:36 PM

Sky, does the library have the entire Dresden Files?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3099 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:22 PM

Does it have to be fiction?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3100 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:10 AM

Anything written by Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, or Bill O'Reilly would be considered "contemporary fiction" in my book.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #3101 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:23 AM

Have you read any Michelle Sagara/West?  She has written two series relatively recently that i enjoy: the Sun Sword series is the older one (and written under Michelle West).  Her latest series is the Chronicles of Elantra which is up to book 6 - interesting mix of police procedural with some modern style in an original fantasy world.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3102 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:56 AM

Does it have to be fiction?
Yep. Not mystery, either. That's popular enough to be its own category with another librarian overseeing it (not JUST mystery, just that my fiancee's duties don't cover mystery). Oh, the debate over whether something is mystery or fiction. Good times. If you're a librarian, I guess.

We already have most of that stuff, Chimpy. People love it.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3103 on: September 23, 2010, 07:08:40 AM

Anything written by Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, or Bill O'Reilly would be considered "contemporary fiction" in my book.

I got my father-in-law the Sarah Palin book as a Christmas gag gift.  He has it shelved right next to Ted Kennedy's biography which he also got for Christmas.  I'm surprised there hasn't been an explosion or fire from the heat generated by the close proximity of the two tomes.  Oddly enough, he's yet to read either book.  
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3104 on: September 30, 2010, 04:34:00 PM

One of Beck's recent books, Common Sense, actually includes the Tom Paine version.

/boggles the mind that he views himself as a modern-day Paine, or if he even has read any of Paine's writings at all…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3105 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:51 PM

Pundits don't read. They just write.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #3106 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:35 AM

Just finished this. Really enjoyed it!
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3107 on: October 03, 2010, 05:19:09 PM

Mistborn series isn't that bad.  I don't exactly love it, but it's entertaining. 

I just finished the first book and am now working on the second.  I found the first book a little clunky in places, but it was fun.  The magic system and the "what if Frodo claimed the ring for his own" fantasy world setting were an enjoyable departure from some more "stock" fantasy settings.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3108 on: October 03, 2010, 07:55:24 PM

I'm actually on the third myself. I'm quite enjoying it. Each one of the books feels quite different, and I'm liking the evolution of the characters as events change them.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3109 on: October 03, 2010, 09:02:01 PM

So I read all 3 of Modessit's Imager Portfolio over the last few days. I actually liked them better than most of his non-Recluce series he has started as they didn't seem to start falling flat after the middle of the second book like all of his other "new" series. It actually seems to have growth and direction instead of just a rehash of exactly the same tricks with a different villain each time.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3110 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:07 AM

I found the first 2 books, those in the commonwealth saga, to be interesting enough reads, however I'm struggling to find enjoyment in reading the first in the void trilogy. I was hoping for more awesomeness like the first trilogy of his, the night dawn's trilogy. So far all I've seen is one guy gradually figuring out some of his powers while shagging everyone around him, and I'm at page 452. Some random dweeb told me on the subways last week (because I was reading it there, and apparently he was a book nerd as well) that he felt it grew better as time progressed. I'm still hoping this to be true.

As for the Mistborn series, I really did enjoy this. Not to the extent I did the night dawn's trilogy (up until the last 200 pages), but it was a pretty decent page-turner. Especially the whole "how the fuck are they going to fix this?" and "maybe he wasn't so bad after all" twists etc. And the magic system was pretty unusual. The characters weren't as 2D as I feared for a short period (I was having flashback to Terry Goodkind for a short while). All in all enjoyable.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3111 on: October 04, 2010, 03:24:54 PM

Finally finished Memories of Ice (3rd Malazan book). It was a lot better than the 2nd, and has gotten my sufficiently hooked on the series. I was surprised by how much the events at the end impacted me emotionallly- didn't realize I was that invested in it. The stories are too convoluted and complex, but I find myself eager to see what happens next anyway.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3112 on: October 04, 2010, 04:43:34 PM

Huh, that's interesting, I liked book 2 a lot more than most of the rest.  It's a soul crushing read though, all dark and destructive up to and including the end, but it's such a pivotal book for the rest of the series, since what happened with the end keeps coming up.  Book 3 seemed a lot less important to me, but maybe it's because I didn't like most of the main characters in that one.

Started reading The Way of Kings also, and my god does Saunderson like writing super hero stories in fantasy settings.  Every single one of his books has involved people with some sort of super powers saving humanity now, and in this case, Jedi too.  At least the writing is good so far though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3113 on: October 05, 2010, 06:39:01 AM

Finally finished Memories of Ice (3rd Malazan book). It was a lot better than the 2nd, and has gotten my sufficiently hooked on the series. I was surprised by how much the events at the end impacted me emotionallly- didn't realize I was that invested in it. The stories are too convoluted and complex, but I find myself eager to see what happens next anyway.
I'm on Midnight Tides right now and really enjoying it. I think you're up for House of Chains next? That one was by far my favorite so far.

As an aside, I hate when people list books for sale as Hardcover when it's Book Club. I really wanted the entire Malazan series in hardcover, instead I've got about 50/50. Dammit. I also got in that first edition Lovecraft I paid $5 for :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:40:56 AM by Sky »
WayAbvPar

Reply #3114 on: October 05, 2010, 08:37:37 AM

I introduced my brother to the series and he is way past me now (his kids are older and he doesn't have a 360, so he has more time to read  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ), and he tells me they REALLY get good now. I liked the end of the 2nd book, but the rest of it was pure drudgery to read. Hey look, Felisin is being a cunt again. Oh, wow, Mappo is worried about Icarium figuring out his past. Repeat for 70 chapters until something actually happens. Bleah. I am leery about the House of Chains only because it seems to bounce back and cover the Seven Cities continent again.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: