Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 11:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1303705 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1120 on: March 20, 2008, 06:58:44 PM

Finished Matter. Seriously meh.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:59 PM

You guys read The Tower of Fear yet?  It's scary how topical that book is.  A foreign power has occupied a Middle Easternish city with a combination of its own troops and foreign mercenaries, a pseudo-criminal native underground with ties to a violent religious offshoot/cult, and ethnic tensions.

Just started that this morning. Sooo happy to see he has a list of characters at the front of the book. That was one thing I struggled with in the 'Instrumentalities of the Night' book, who was who.

The first Instrumentalities book is tough because Cook throws sooooo much background at you.  I'm pretty well read on most of the actual history being borrowed,  and I had a tough time with it.

Finished The Dragon Never Sleeps.  Loved it.  Military scifi, with that definite Cook edge. 
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: March 21, 2008, 01:23:22 AM

I just finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.    Absolutely fantastic.   
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: March 21, 2008, 05:43:05 AM

I've been unable to get into it.  I'll pick it back up in a bit, I'm reading a book on linguistics at the moment.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: March 21, 2008, 01:13:48 PM

Pick up Axis which is the sequel that just came out. It is good as well.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: March 21, 2008, 02:14:22 PM

Just finished Battle Royale and Fate is the Hunter. Great books.

Started Anansi Boys, which I've had for awhile but haven't actually read yet.

- Viin
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: March 21, 2008, 04:09:22 PM

Eh, just started it myself. I did, however, pick up a copy of The Wasp Factory and noted that the reprints of Consider Phlebas and Player of Games were out at my local B&N. Which gives me hope that I can fill in my collection of his fiction -- hopefully reprints of Crow Road and Feersum Enjin are in the works.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: April 01, 2008, 05:16:20 PM

Just finished up Homicide: A year on the killing streets which is narrative nonfiction by David Simon (guy who created The Wire) and is the book the Homicide television show was based on. A really, really good read.

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:33 PM

Finally Finished Midnight's Children the other week, which I'd had for a while but had never got down to and finished. Thankfully it was included in a uni course so I pushed through. Slow going, only reading about 30 pages an hour. Took me over 12 hours for the lot I would guess.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: April 02, 2008, 06:20:54 AM

The first Instrumentalities book is tough because Cook throws sooooo much background at you.  I'm pretty well read on most of the actual history being borrowed,  and I had a tough time with it.

Finished The Dragon Never Sleeps.  Loved it.  Military scifi, with that definite Cook edge. 

Good to hear, since I was feeling like a dumbass while reading Instrumentalities. I have to remember to look for 'The Dragon Never Sleeps'. Currently reading book 7 in the Malazan series, 'Reaper's Gale' while at home, and 'Faerie Tale' by Feist while on the train to work. 'Reapers Gale' is taking a bit more to get me hooked than the other books did, I think that once the Malazan's enter the story, I'll be a bit more into it.

'Faerie Tale' is ok. For some reason I'm not digging it as much as I thought I would. 

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: April 02, 2008, 07:44:53 AM

Pick up Axis which is the sequel that just came out. It is good as well.

My local library has this on reserve for me, so I'll be picking it up tonight from them. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1131 on: April 02, 2008, 08:09:50 AM

Truckin' through the Recluce series again. On my favorite one, the Magic Engineer. Then I see a new Modesitt book on the new book shelf, blah. It is nice to have the next couple of month's worth of reading mapped out, though.

Three cheers for JWIV for using the library!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: April 02, 2008, 12:38:44 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: April 02, 2008, 05:58:56 PM

Wifetype is reading The God Delusion. She loves it.

Also, if you liked Krakauer (and I didn't look through that site in depth), check out Into Thin Air.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: April 02, 2008, 06:18:46 PM

Also, if you liked Krakauer (and I didn't look through that site in depth), check out Into Thin Air.

I nearly picked that up at the op-shop yesterday for $1. Worth it? I know nothing of Krakauer.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: April 02, 2008, 07:19:22 PM

Wifetype is reading The God Delusion. She loves it.

About 2/3 way through God Delusion. Not enjoying much as other Dawkins I read (i.e., Blind Watchmaker, Selfish Gene). Started out good, hopefully interest will pick up in later chapters as in the middle he repeats himself a lot, and there, his arguments are just as silly as the fundamentalist Christians. But that's a topic for another thread :)

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46:55 PM

I don't see how it's possible to write an entire book about how God doesn't exist. Mine would be about three sentences:

There is no actual evidence that God exists. That's why they call it "faith." The end.

What more do you need?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: April 03, 2008, 03:12:50 AM

Not sure if that was green or not, but if it wasn't,

I think it is more about the phenomenon (from what she has told me) and why it works/persists. I think you of all people know that most books are more complicated than, "This is what I think, and I'm not going to explain why."  Ohhhhh, I see.

It's not really that useful to construct declarative sentences and expect people to buy into them.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

WayAbvPar

Reply #1138 on: April 03, 2008, 08:11:06 AM

I nearly picked that up at the op-shop yesterday for $1. Worth it? I know nothing of Krakauer.

Into Thin Air is a FANTASTIC book. Read it immediately.

Then, if you want to really hate organized religion in general and Mormons in particular, read Under The Banner Of Heaven.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:41 AM

WAP, I read the book first, and then realized it was non-fiction.

Fucking NON-FICTION.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: April 03, 2008, 12:34:37 PM

I think it is more about the phenomenon (from what she has told me) and why it works/persists.

"People find it comforting to believe in things greater than themselves and/or like to explain things they don't understand via magic."

Is it a mystery why religion works/persists? Maybe I'd have to read it...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: April 03, 2008, 03:12:11 PM

Yep, lots of things are obvious after we see 'em, but that's what writing is for!

Common sense in beauty? Fuck, Kant's a hack!

Come off it, Marg.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: April 03, 2008, 03:13:15 PM

Don't freak out, this is about 2 months of reading.

Just read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Sandman Vol 1.  Both kind of surprised me.  LoEG since I saw the movie and thought it was shite.  The graphic novel on the other hand is pretty interesting.  I'm sure fans of the series were horrified to see their dreams destroyed Hollywood-style.  Sandman since I can easily take or leave Gaiman and find a lot of what he does to be over-hyped.  

Also read Midnight Tides.  Probably the last the Eriksen book I'll read.  Seems like I have to wade through 500 pages so slow-moving space filler to get the exciting stuff at the end.  I wouldn't mind since his endings are fantastically good but I've read too much fantasy fiction to want to endure anymore of that bullshit.  He's not Jordan-esque by any means but MT was a loooong way from the goodness of his first couple of books.

Now about half-way through Mieville's Iron Council.  Not as enjoyable as Perdido Street Station or The Scar but haven't worked into the finale yet.

Non-fiction finished up Freakonomics.  Really easy read and pretty interesting (for a closet economist, skeptic, and maths major like me).  Really interesting discusion about convential wisdom and how Galbraith's definition was more about it being a cop-out for convenience sake, rather than any kind of reasonable explanation.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: April 03, 2008, 03:33:34 PM

The latest "Dresden" book is out.  Good entertainment read.  Butcher writes series fiction well. 

I'm finishing up Krugman's Conscience of a Liberal,  and also reading The Discovery of France.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: April 03, 2008, 03:57:48 PM

I just picked up League 1 and 2 last night along with Top Ten, 3 Peguin collections of Lovecraft, American Gods by Gaiman and Barker's The Great and Secret Show.

Finished reading "The Death of the Fourth Estate", a collection of Counterpunch essays, and Barker's Damnation Game. Other than that haven't been reading much recently, been busy.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:11 AM

The latest "Dresden" book is out.  Good entertainment read.  Butcher writes series fiction well. 
Is it? I might have to stop on the way home. The wife is reading those (she's up to Dead Beat). I just finished Matter -- which apparently I like more than Abragadro -- and The Wasp Factory.

The latter is...well...fuck, Bank's fiction tends to be a little warped. Good. But, well, different. I don't know if it's a Scottish thing or a Banks thing.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: April 04, 2008, 03:42:33 PM

Is it? I might have to stop on the way home. The wife is reading those (she's up to Dead Beat). I just finished Matter -- which apparently I like more than Abragadro -- and The Wasp Factory.

Dead Beat is where the series starts to kick it up a notch.  Basically,  there's one story per book that gets finished up for better or worse each book. 

- The overall background storylines (the war, Summer vs Winter, intra-supernatural politics) advance a couple steps with some good foreshadowing thrown in. 

- Decent character growth and development between books.  Harry starts out as a bit of a bumbling dork,  moves to a borderline breakdown territory, and has been maturing quite a bit in the last few books.

- Good character relationships,  especially between books. 

- No DBZ style massively powering up the main character that really fucks with many series. 

- I especially like the way Butcher gives equal time and import to a bunch of different mythological backgrounds.  There's something fun about the way you can have celtic fearie types duking it out with wizards or Christian mythology demon-types or secret holy order types.

Really alot of similarities to Whedon.  Except without the one-note snarky Whedon hero-types.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: April 05, 2008, 05:00:14 PM

Dead Beat is where the series starts to kick it up a notch.  Basically,  there's one story per book that gets finished up for better or worse each book. 

- The overall background storylines (the war, Summer vs Winter, intra-supernatural politics) advance a couple steps with some good foreshadowing thrown in. 

- Decent character growth and development between books.  Harry starts out as a bit of a bumbling dork,  moves to a borderline breakdown territory, and has been maturing quite a bit in the last few books.

- Good character relationships,  especially between books. 

- No DBZ style massively powering up the main character that really fucks with many series. 

- I especially like the way Butcher gives equal time and import to a bunch of different mythological backgrounds.  There's something fun about the way you can have celtic fearie types duking it out with wizards or Christian mythology demon-types or secret holy order types.

Really alot of similarities to Whedon.  Except without the one-note snarky Whedon hero-types.

Hell, I loved it for Dresden's ride at the end. :)

My wife's a writing teacher, and she's found them interesting simply because you see him go from "first published novel" -- written off a submission for a creative writing class, I think -- and work his way through a pretty demanding publishing schedule. You can see him grow as a storyteller, make mistakes, correct them, make new mistakes, etc. It really helped him that urban fantasy is THE genre right now -- at least he doesn't have too many lesbian vampires. Fuck, his main character was celibate for years, which is HUGELY different than a lot of the best-selling urban stuff at the moment. :)

Oh, and yes -- I've read the Kim Harrison stuff. Not Hamilton's stuff, though. I'll read virtually anything, even if it has lesbian vampires. Sometimes just for lesbian vampires.

Another author you can see that developing author vibe with is Pratchett. His early stuff is really crude (discounting the outright parodies of The Color of Magic entirely) compared to his later stuff. And you can see when he sort of "steps up" as a writer and plateaus off at a new level.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: April 06, 2008, 07:18:54 AM

I did not have enough time in the last 18 months to read books for fun, but this semester break I caught up with some reading. I really liked Good Omens (Pratchet/Gaiman)and American Gods(Gaiman) which I think have already been mentioned here.

Next on my list is a textbook about second language acquisition, the time of reading for fun is over  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:28 AM

I have looked at the Dresden books a few times and just haven't taken the plunge yet. Are they books you should read from the beginning, or can you jump into the series a bit later?

I thought 'Good Omens' started out fantastic, but it kind of lost it's steam about 3/4 of the way through it for me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: April 07, 2008, 07:32:50 AM

You should start at the first Dresden.  They're all entertaining anyway.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1151 on: April 07, 2008, 08:51:31 AM

I just finished Gaiman's Angels and Visitations, which was a good set of short stories. I swear though, some of those stories ended up elsewhere in his writing, like maybe in the Sandman. They were all early stories from before he got the Sandman gig, I gather. Still a good collection of stories if you like his melancholy style of writing.

Just got like 10 books from the local library book sale for $1. I love library book sales. I started on The Great Gatsby because I've just never read it.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:55 AM

I just finished Gaiman's Angels and Visitations, which was a good set of short stories. I swear though, some of those stories ended up elsewhere in his writing, like maybe in the Sandman. They were all early stories from before he got the Sandman gig, I gather. Still a good collection of stories if you like his melancholy style of writing.

Just got like 10 books from the local library book sale for $1. I love library book sales. I started on The Great Gatsby because I've just never read it.

Gaiman's short story collections tend to reprint short stories over and over.  If you've read one collection,  make sure to scan the table of contents to figure out which ones you haven't seen before.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:28 PM

I hate that, that's why I always look for complete collections.

I'm a little bit through the first Lovecraft compendium. It holds up surprisingly well so far, written in 1920 but not anachronistic at all.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1154 on: April 08, 2008, 06:51:48 PM

I'm a little bit through the first Lovecraft compendium.

Oo, is there a new series of Lovecraft collections coming out?  What's the title/publisher?  I've got a few of the Del Rey collections but there's a lot of duplication between them and probably a lot of stuff I'm missing too.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: