Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 11:56:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1303717 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: April 13, 2007, 01:46:36 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I know that is a difficult request. He's burned through Harry Potter and I know he likes the LOTR movies, but I don't know if he has read them. Hobbit would probably be a good start.
How about the Belgariad by David Eddings? Garion was about the right age when the series started and there's not a lot of killing outside of the big battles at the end.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: April 13, 2007, 07:46:35 AM

I think I graduated to grown-up stories with the Hobbit.  I'm pretty sure I was around 12 or 13 at the time.  I seem to recall reading some of the earlier Heinlein stuff around then, "Have Space Suit Will Travel" is an awesome story for a tweener.  It's all imagination and wonder and exemplifies things like being active and being good at science and math.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #492 on: April 13, 2007, 08:46:31 AM

I used to read all kinds of garbage when I was a kid. I read the Donaldson Covenant series (hexology?) when I was an early teen, 14 maybe. I was messed up as a kid, but a good reader.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #493 on: April 13, 2007, 08:53:39 AM

I read The Grapes of Wrath when I was 8, at my mother's behest.

I read lots of other books, all of which I liked more than that one, but that one example serves best to illustrate why I should not pick out books for sensitive children.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #494 on: April 13, 2007, 12:07:26 PM

I was reading Fellowship and Two Towers at age 12, and Shakespeare as well. I'm hardly a good judge of what to tell him, and if he's done Harry Potter, Hobbit probably is the best place to start.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: April 13, 2007, 01:35:56 PM

I can remember being about 9 or 10 and reading "The World According to Garp" and going and asking my mother if there really were Ellen Jamison's.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #496 on: April 13, 2007, 02:16:22 PM

I need some recommendations for some juvenile fiction. My nephew is 12 and a pretty advanced reader. Most of the stuff for his age group is too "kid" for him, but he is also somewhat sensitive so a lot of adult material isn't suitable.  He doesn't like lots of people dying, etc. So I open it up to the wizened among you for some titles.
That was around the age I was piling through fantasy and sci-fi books as fast as I could read them so there *a lot* of choices if he likes those genres, though a lot of the stuff I was reading, like Lord Foul's Bane discussed earlier, might be a little too adult for his tastes.

Dragonsong and Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey are great books at that age if he doesn't mind reading books where a girl is the main character. Dragondrums is the third book in that trilogy and has a boy as the main character but I didn't like it as much as the first two. Her other Dragonriders of Pern books are more "adult" but nothing too gruesome or explicit.

I loved Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg though not a lot actually happens (it's all about world-building) so if he likes things with a lot of action he might be bored with it.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist might be good for him as well. It's a little bit dark since the backdrop for the stories about the main characters is a war but in that sense it's like the LotR.

For some lighter and humorous reading there's the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster and of course The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy".

Dune is another great book if he's not totally bored by politics.

Neuromancer by William Gibson is great.

The Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov is a classic.

Other classics include the Riverworld Saga by Philip Jose Farmer, Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Ringworld by Larry Niven.

Edit: oops, how could I leave out Lankhmar Book 1: Swords And Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser) by Fritz Leiber.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 02:34:55 PM by Trippy »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: April 13, 2007, 02:41:25 PM

Thinking on it -- I second bubblegum fantasy like Edding's The Belgariad. Sure it's simplistic, repetitive, and light-hearted. But it's perfect for someone who wants a more adult book with fewer dark themes.

Feist's Magician wouldn't be bad, either. THere's a war on, but the death isn't described particularly vividly.

Barbara Hambly's Darwath Trilogy wouldn't be bad,

Best of all -- just give him Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books -- Wee Free Men, followed by A Hat Full of Sky and then Wintersmith. Excellent writing, designed for early to mid teens, and a good introduction to more adult books. And hell, they're damn good books to boot.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:01:25 AM by Morat20 »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: April 13, 2007, 02:56:35 PM

I liked Night Watch.

I think there's a sequal out now?

Day Watch is out, and Dusk Watch is coming out.

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #499 on: April 13, 2007, 03:08:00 PM

Thinking on it -- I second bubblegum fantasy like Edding's The Belgariad. Sure it's simplistic, repetitive, and light-hearted. But it's perfect for someone who wants a more adult book with fewer dark themes.
Yes the Edding's books are definitely light fluffy fantasy reading. I read both series though I thought The Belgariad was better. And now that I think about it some more its theme is a lot like the Harry Potter books -- a seemingly ordinary boy whose parents are killed by one in service of the ultimate bad guy who trains to be a magician under the tutelage of some elder magicians and who goes on a series of adventures while trying to save the world.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: April 22, 2007, 05:57:26 PM

For those reading the Malazan books,  a pretty much non-spoiler review of the forthcoming release.  There is a plot summary, to give you an idea what's happening,  so if you want no idea avoid it.

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2007/03/reapers-gale-non-spoiler-review.html

This confirms that the setting is the Lether continent.  Karsa, Icarium, all the Lether characters, and Tavore's 14th Army (with the remaining Bridgeburners) are involved.  The reviewer warns that there will be serious, serious casualties and puts the book at slightly below Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice in quality.

Amazon US is listing a May 2007 release date for Reaper's Gale,  which may mean we're finally caught up to England with the series.  I haven't poker around to confirm this,  though I did see the Tradepaperback of Midnight Tides (book five) in the local Borders.

Other than looking forward to this....  been doing some light historical reading on Rome combined with playing Rome: Total War.  There's a serious of books going over the history of some of the more famous legions I've been working through.  Fun light reading if you like the time period.

Read a biography of Milton Friedman,  still plugging along on the Augustus bio.  Working through a history of the Peloponesian War (too lazy to check spelling right now).

Read The Name of the Wind.  New release, giant hardcover.  Very good.  A legendary thief/hero/regicide/sorceror type recounting his life to a biographer while pretending to own an inn in a backwater.  Very good world-building,  good characters, interesting story the way the protagonist uses guile/cunning to solve problems and play up events to build his own legend and work his way out of poverty.

Misplaced the name now,  but there's a new tradepaperback that looks like it takes up the fallen mantle of the Shadowrun world:  cyberpunk + magic + alternate realities.  Was thinking of picking it up,  but the cover was atrocious.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

I'm reading China Melville's Perdido Street Station currently. Very interesting setting, and it almost reminds me of a alternate-future analogue of The Baroque Cycle books in terms of content. The main character is a rogue scientist who strongly resembles the Natural Philosopher in manner of thought, although the book's theme seems to be the oppression of rigid thought versus freedom of expression. It's going to take me a while to finish though, I think.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: April 26, 2007, 03:01:16 AM

Reread Eon by Greg Bear - pretty decent sci-fi mystery, although the whole US/Russia conflict is a bit dated now.

Reading "Punk: The Whole Story" which is a combination of archival articles from mags at the time (including Sounds, Punk, and Sniffin' Glue) and various photos of the era.  Started with the Pistols, Ramones, and now up to the Clash.  Loads of other bands to go.

Also just started rereading Hyperion since I couldn't really remember anything about it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: April 26, 2007, 06:52:58 AM

I'm reading The Early Guitar, A History and Handbook by James Tyler. Some great info on the development of the stringed instrument that eventually became the guitar. Illustrated with photocopies of old manuscripts and instruments as well as tunings and transcriptions. Great read.

Also working through Bleak Wind by Cook. I seem to have a tough time starting his early books, took me several starts to get into the first book and I've started twice on the second without getting far. Just isn't pulling me in like his later stuff for some reason, though it's a decent read.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: April 26, 2007, 06:57:33 PM

I'm reading China Melville's Perdido Street Station currently. Very interesting setting, and it almost reminds me of a alternate-future analogue of The Baroque Cycle books in terms of content. The main character is a rogue scientist who strongly resembles the Natural Philosopher in manner of thought, although the book's theme seems to be the oppression of rigid thought versus freedom of expression. It's going to take me a while to finish though, I think.

Heh.  Never finished Perdido.  Was just really not into it at all.  I loved The Scar (same world,  Perdido events referenced),  and even enjoyed Iron Council (which is generally considered the worst of the books set in that world...)  I really need to have either a good story or good character interaction to stay with something.

There's some hefty Marxist undertones to the world, which are interesting.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: May 03, 2007, 10:12:30 PM

So.....

Anyone else here preorder the latest Erikson book from Amazon UK?  I'm hoping to have my copy in my grubby hands by Monday or Tuesday.

Edit:

As to what else I've been reading, still on my Roman Empire kick.  Finished the Augustus bio,  reading a book on the Vesuvius eruption,  and a few generalist Roman history books.  Flip through Gibbon every now and then. 

Lots of fun to read Roman history,  then play Rome: Total War.  "Varus, give me back my legions!" indeed.

Also read Death's Head by David Gunn.  Military scifi supposedly,  but reads more like a Richard K Morgan "Takeshi Kovacs" novel,  with a mix of Warhammer 40,000 to make things even less rosey.  Very entertaining.  Pretty dark,  but some funny bits....  the protagonist's intelligent talking gun is usually good for at least a smile.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:20:52 PM by Johny Cee »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: May 04, 2007, 12:24:40 AM

I don't have much time to read these days but I am trying to do that more. (Less website perusing would help...)

I have a couple of Clive Barker books on the way - Hellbound Heart and Books of Blood.

Ab, I say you just give your nephew all kinds of shit and fuck him up. When I was young I read whatever my dad got out of the library and whatever he owned. He recently died and I am taking all his books, once I get them all set up I should post some pictures - all the original Howard Conan books, basically every Science Fiction and Fantasy from 1960-1980, every Analog and Ellery Queen from that same period, every older Elmore Leonard book, tons and tons of stuff. It's basically a treasure trove of science fiction, fantasy and crime from 1950-1980.

I don't think you are ever really too young to read adult stuff. Well, that isn't quite true but 12 is old enough.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #507 on: May 04, 2007, 01:08:39 AM

Thanks for the reminder on Ericksons latest.  Just ordered through Amazon UK.

So far, he's the only reason why I have an account with Amazon UK. lol

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: May 04, 2007, 07:29:56 AM

I'm just wrapping up the first Erickson book, great recommendation. Unlike the new Cook series (Instumentalities of the Night) I never got lost with the cast of characters. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

12 is what, grade 6-7?

Around that age I think I was reading Tolkien, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Shannara and the Prydain books.  Prydain for sure.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: May 04, 2007, 11:07:49 AM

Thanks for the reminder on Ericksons latest.  Just ordered through Amazon UK.

So far, he's the only reason why I have an account with Amazon UK. lol

You can get free shipping from the UK at...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:05 AM

I need some recommendations for some juvenile fiction. My nephew is 12 and a pretty advanced reader. Most of the stuff for his age group is too "kid" for him, but he is also somewhat sensitive so a lot of adult material isn't suitable.  He doesn't like lots of people dying, etc. So I open it up to the wizened among you for some titles.

Master of the Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy

----

Just finished Tolkien's Children of Hurin. I didn't know he wrote comedy! Reminded me of Tom Jones.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: May 09, 2007, 09:30:57 AM

I'm just wrapping up the first Erickson book, great recommendation. Unlike the new Cook series (Instumentalities of the Night) I never got lost with the cast of characters. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

You're in for a treat.  The second and third books by Erikson (Steven EriCkson is a different author altogether, which is confusing...  the only thing I've read by Erickson is an introduction he wrote for the Sandman graphic novels) are the strongest in the series.  They're all good,  but those two are amazing. 

My copy of Book 7 has been shipped,  but hasn't left the UK yet.  Stupid order tracking is making me obsessive.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: May 09, 2007, 11:14:35 AM

I love order tracking.

"We haven't received your RMA yet."
"Sure you have, go ask Dave on the dock."
"..."
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: May 09, 2007, 05:49:08 PM

On a semi-related rail, why is modern horror complete and utter shit?  Only two other types of horror exist:

1)  Hack writers who describe eyes being splattered out or dark rituals taking place ever second page;
2) Erotic horror/humor vampire books where a vampire has to live in the modern day world as a Valley Girl/accountant/toll booth operator/whatever! Also, they have sex with each other in leather pants.

It just hits home for me why King is THE NAME in the genre.  He knows how to weave suspense for a whole book, with maybe 1 or 2 or 3 very violent episodes.  Writers in category #1 just keep throwing buckets of blood at you.  And his one vampire book did not involve leather pants!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: May 09, 2007, 06:42:48 PM

On a semi-related rail, why is modern horror complete and utter shit?  Only two other types of horror exist:

1)  Hack writers who describe eyes being splattered out or dark rituals taking place ever second page;
2) Erotic horror/humor vampire books where a vampire has to live in the modern day world as a Valley Girl/accountant/toll booth operator/whatever! Also, they have sex with each other in leather pants.

It just hits home for me why King is THE NAME in the genre.  He knows how to weave suspense for a whole book, with maybe 1 or 2 or 3 very violent episodes.  Writers in category #1 just keep throwing buckets of blood at you.  And his one vampire book did not involve leather pants!

Vampire accountant?

A big problem with the horror genre is the rise of the supernatural romance/erotic story subgenre.  Ugh.  Anne Rice and Laurell Hamilton should be shot. 

Part of it is probably cyclical.  I don't keep up on horror that much,  but alot of the smaller genres are incredibly cyclical.  For instance,  fantasy has been on the upswing since the mid 90s and almost totally supplanted scifi in bookstores.  The "hard" scifi genre is almost dead.  The holdout is military scifi,  where a few authors churn out book after book (Drake, Webber).

Horror will likely remain fairly dead until there's a hot new author,  that'll kick start publishers interest in like fiction.

The other hot subgenre is speculative fiction,  which tends to verge more towards fantasy than anything. 

The only thing I'd say as a recommendation...  There's an annual compiliation called "The Best Fantasy and Horror" or something like that.  In the front,  there's a small section on what's happened in each genre in the period covered.  Might be a good place to do a quick scan for something interesting.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: May 09, 2007, 09:24:04 PM

I find it hard to call Stephen King "modern horror" when all his best stuff is decades old. Also his short stories are much better than his novels, which tend to suffer from "oh shit, I'm at the end and I have no resolution in mind" syndrome followed by some lame Deus ex Machina. (Sometimes a *literal* Deus ex Machina)

Honestly I find it hard to even name modern horror authors. Clive Barker? (Again not all that modern these days)

Although to be fair horror has always been a small genre.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: May 10, 2007, 01:22:11 AM

There's enough hard scifi to keep me going for quite a while, though the relative inactivity in the genre does make me sad. I finished Perdido Street Station pretty quickly after school ended, and although the plot was quite amazing and the setting is really deep, I don't think the end of the book was all that well done; it seemed rather anticlimactic. After that I read The Drawing of the Three which was interesting in the manner that Gunslinger books are (no clear idea of an end, and the beginning only slowly revealed). I'm probably going to read The Scar by Mieville next, or maybe Iain Banks' The Algebraist.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:20 AM

King fucking sucks since he stopped doing teh drugz.

I read Cell and wanted to gouge my eyes out with a fucking Spork.  What an awful piece of shit that was.  It was almost as bad as the fucking Christian Revelations SHITE that Koontz is spewing these days.

Oh, it's horror, oh it's aliens, oh it's the FUCKING RAPTURE.

Wank.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #518 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:48 PM

King lost his horror chops after IT. The only good thing he's written since has been the Dark Tower stuff, and it's nothing like horror. Koontz had some decent books, but I haven't read him in years. His main characters started feeling too similar after about 4 books.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #519 on: May 10, 2007, 02:22:14 PM

Only Horror I'll read is Robert R. McCammon. Love his shit. Oh, and Dan Simmons has had a couple of good ventures in the horror genre as well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: May 10, 2007, 02:36:58 PM

So,  Erikson's Reaper's Gale just arrived from merry old England.  Cracked it open,  it's dedicated to Glen Cook.  I'm very scared that every one of the characters I like is dead by the end,  now.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #521 on: May 10, 2007, 04:58:05 PM

Brian Lumley.  His best stuff dates back to the seventies and eighties, but what the hell.  Not nearly enough people have heard of him.  He's primarily known as a horror author, but he freely mixes in elements of sci-fi, Cold War espionage, and whatever else he likes.  He's also written some quality Lovecraft stuff, and some outright fantasy in the pulpy 1930's "low fantasy" mold.  He's very aware of guys like Lovecraft and Howard, and it shows in his work.  By and large he succeeds very well.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #522 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:46 AM

No, he doesn't. I couldn't finish 40 pages of Necronomican or however the fuck you say it. It was just bad, Piers Anthony pulp-style writing. AWFUL. SHITE.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #523 on: May 11, 2007, 11:00:32 AM

You hate everything good, don't you?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #524 on: May 11, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

No, you just happen to like all things bad.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: