Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1303956 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4725 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:30 AM

The ending of Use of Weapons is really awesome, but it won't have the same impact on a re-read. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4726 on: August 31, 2012, 12:14:52 PM

Culture novels are very strange.  I have reread them all maybe 3 times and I am always disappointed by the endings.  And I still recommend them.   Weird?

I like the journey enough that the ending isn't anything I fret over very much.  As far as old fashioned, 'What if?" sci-fi goes it's pretty much Culture or nothing.  What if there was no death?  What if anything you wanted to do you could virtually in moments or for real with a little effort?  How much should society forgive people who can achieve that societies goals? And even in the latest, What does it mean to die when a completely accurate representation of yourself can live on forever?  How far should a society go to project it's, arguably more humane, morals on other less enlightened societies?

Not that it's at the same level as Phillip K. Dick and not that he provides any answers but no one else really uses sci-fi to ask those sorts of questions these days.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4727 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:09 PM

Just got through the Wool Omni-bus and Anathem. I really liked Wool, the first one worked fantastically as a short story and the rest gave me enough Fallout vibes to really, really like.

I adored Anathem, far far more than Reamde.  The ending definitely felt very "Ok, so now what the fuck happens? I guess stuff, ambiguous wink at major plot line, fade to black," but really the world building that got to that point was just so much fun to read. I think I might be helped with it in terms of being very comfortably working out what words mean from context/ignoring the fact that I don't understand a word/reference so I didn't really feel I needed the first half of the book to get comfortable with the terminology and I enjoyed the bullshit maths/philosophy possibly in part because a lot of it was stuff I was familiar with and he really just touches on a lot of it. I think Stephenson manages to avoid going into enough detail regarding any of it to run into the problem of obviously talking bullshit or getting stuff totally wrong, the nods towards Platonism and Phenomenology were probably more enjoyable when the reader is able to fill in a lot of the blanks with what they know rather than getting irritated at the author for 'getting it wrong'. If you like  a good dose of pseudo-intellectualism and some exploration of ideas and themes that aren't necessarily sciencey in your sci-fi it's a fantastic book (you might also enjoy Scott Bakker, although he seems to be veering more and more towards the 'too much detail' side of stuff). If you prefer hard sci-fi or insist on a satisfying ending then avoid.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4728 on: August 31, 2012, 01:56:31 PM

I thought the Anathem ending was satisfying, especially compared to say Diamond Age.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4729 on: August 31, 2012, 02:23:40 PM

I'm getting ready to start reading Haemish's tome.   awesome, for real
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4730 on: August 31, 2012, 06:26:20 PM

I'm getting ready to start reading Haemish's tome.   awesome, for real

Speaking of lame endings ...

Just kidding, they were fine.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4731 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:24 PM

The publisher didn't pay me to write an ending.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4732 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:39 PM

The publisher didn't pay me to write an ending.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In otherwords, they -paid- you to -not- write an ending. I can see you are trying to do a serial series, no problem with that!

- Viin
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4733 on: September 01, 2012, 04:36:02 PM

If there's no ending I'm driving to Mississippi with a shovel.   Ohhhhh, I see.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4734 on: September 01, 2012, 04:53:03 PM

/looks at calendar
/notes Fall is getting closer
/stares in Haemish's general direction
/taps foot

awesome, for real

Anyways, I am a bad, bad person.   Cry

So at the end of July, I suddenly got some emails saying "the book you bought is ready for download to your Nook" except I hadn't bought anything.  Cue frantic checking, discovery of inability to log into B&N online account, get that cleared up, get books removed from account, and then the real fun starts.  Seems there is another woman out there with my same name but who spells her first name with "ee" instead of "i" in it and her account somehow got tied to mine.  As in her mailing address and CC info was in the account info, it had her name, but my library of books was mixed up with hers.  Her Nook was showing in the info section instead of mine, but they could see mine was registered.  I finally got that cleared up today, password is changed (and I'm considering changing it again now that everything's set up just because) and they've deregistered her Nook from my account/email (and mine is now showing as registered as of the date I originally got it). 

Everything's good, except all the books are still in the library, mine and hers.  So now I'm the proud owner of a few series that I wanted (aka Hunger Games trilogy) and a whole lot more that I have no interest in reading, ever.  I do feel kind of bad about it, so I'm wondering - do I download the books, since they are "mine" or don't I?

But hey, now everything is cleared up and I can finally get the Wool Omnibus, which is what started off this whole journey of needing to get this fixed.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4735 on: September 05, 2012, 07:26:06 AM

Not that I think anyone on this forum is stupid or desperate enough to read the crap that is Fifty Shades of Grey, but I found this review to be fantastic.

BTW, the Hunger Games books aren't that bad.  They move a bit quickly, but I'm not turned off by the writing or anything like that.  Next up - the Wool Omnibus book, which I finally got downloaded after getting my B&N account straightened out.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4736 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:02 AM

I picked up another random SciFi book, called the Complete Atopia Chronicals which seems to be 6 short(er) stories. Interesting so far, but nothing too crazy. Basically, a new "software" system has been developed to be installed in your brain - this software runs a virtual you, so while you are off in virtual land playing with furries, your body is being controlled by your virtual you .. probably doing pushups and running 6 minute miles. One of the stories is about "virtual" kids that age very quickly, which you can spawn to see if you are ready for real kids. But, apparently, after becoming attached to those kids its pretty hard to see them die at age 89, 8 weeks later.

Also finished The Lathe of Heaven, which is actually very good. Guy dreams and his dreams become reality - all of history changes in order to make his dreamed reality come true. Sleep doctor figures out how to harness this guy's dream to advance himself and enact what he considers improvements to the world. Of course, dreams aren't predictable, so some of his suggestions don't turn out like he expected.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4737 on: September 05, 2012, 01:00:09 PM

Also finished The Lathe of Heaven, which is actually very good. Guy dreams and his dreams become reality - all of history changes in order to make his dreamed reality come true. Sleep doctor figures out how to harness this guy's dream to advance himself and enact what he considers improvements to the world. Of course, dreams aren't predictable, so some of his suggestions don't turn out like he expected.

It really is a fantastic novel.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #4738 on: September 05, 2012, 01:38:46 PM

Not a book, and not new: Bruce Sterling's Bicycle Repairman (1997) is a terrific sendup of cyberpunk tropes (post-government living, super secret techno ninjas, rogue AI) while being a fun bit of cyberpunk worldmaking on its own. That link is the whole thing, by the way.

If you've never read it and you've got 45 minutes or so, give it a try.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4739 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:42 PM

Just finished Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I really dug the book, to the point that I ended up having to force myself to stop reading at 430 AM Tuesday as I had started the book around 10pm on Monday and gotten about 80% through but had to get up for work at 630.

Overall, it felt very Stephensonesque, which to me is not a bad thing. It did do a better job at ending simply because the number of threads which needed to be tied up were nowhere near as monumental as in a Stephenson book.

Going to start on the second (and third) book soon. The joys of working at a library is you can pick books up without making an extra trip :D

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4740 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:43 AM

The joys of working at a library is you can pick books up without making an extra trip :D
Even better when your fiancee is the fic librarian. Wrapping up Toll the Hounds right now and pondering whether to finish the series or break it up for a while. Just got in the Wool omnibus and I'm tempted to detour over that way.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4741 on: September 10, 2012, 08:21:38 AM

Working on Kim Stanley Robinson's latest. So far I like it a good deal.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4742 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:08 PM

Decided to give the Mistborn series another shot previous putting down book 2 after the first major section a while back.  I must stay, the last half of the book has been really entertaining and has changed my view of the series for the better.  Just the small last section to go, then it's on to the third book.

Got Wool and Consider Phlebas based on the discussion here.  They'll come next.

-Rasix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4743 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:18 AM

Read Wool while at the in-laws - marvelous, marvelous recommendation! 

Also read Divergent and Insurgent with make up the Divergent series (so far).  I really enjoyed both books and it's obvious there is more coming since the story isn't done yet.  It also appeals to me for being set in (a slightly broken) Chicago.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4744 on: September 11, 2012, 09:50:35 AM

Knew I should've put a hold on Wool when it came in, it's out and there are holds on it. This thread is pretty awesome for our patrons!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4745 on: September 11, 2012, 10:07:39 AM

I find Kim Stanley Robinson a bit too technical for my tastes and a bit dry.  But I haven't made it all the way through the Mars trilogy yet. 

Currently I'm reading the Gap sequence.  I could have sworn that I had read it before, but it's all foreign to me so apparently I didn't.  It's decent, although a bit contrived.  I'm glad he laid off of the raping a little. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4746 on: September 11, 2012, 02:02:05 PM

laid off the rape? Are you only three pages in?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4747 on: September 11, 2012, 02:44:06 PM

No, in the second and third and fourth books it's not so prominent.  The first book is all rape.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4748 on: September 11, 2012, 04:08:56 PM

I got myself a kindle, finally, and picked up Midnight Empire and Alif the Unseen. About 15% of the way through the first and enjoying it so far.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #4749 on: September 12, 2012, 12:25:22 AM

No, in the second and third and fourth books it's not so prominent.  The first book is all rape.

Though you can get all turtle-necky and say that everything that happens to Angus Thermopyle for books three through five is rape.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4750 on: September 12, 2012, 06:29:15 AM

He certainly gets his due, that's for sure. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4751 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:09 AM

After reading the first one, I swore off Donaldson for good. Life's too short for that garbage.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4752 on: September 12, 2012, 07:27:44 AM

I'm going to finish these.  I'm on book 4 and I have to see the end.  I'm telling myself there will be an ending that I can relate to (please don't ruin it for me if there isn't   awesome, for real).

The other books aren't full rapey goodness, Sky. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:31:50 AM by ghost »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4753 on: September 12, 2012, 08:25:59 AM

Since Wool is checked out with multiple holds, I'm dipping into 1632. Devoured almost half of it last night, pretty quick read. I like this kind of book, ever since reading the old Joel Rosenberg "Modern D&D players get put into their game world" stuff. My favorite aspect was always how they build up the tech and smite backwards rulers and whatnot, fun pulpy stuff.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4754 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:11 AM

I can't vouch for the quality of this, but my 15 year old self loved Leo Frankowski's The Cross-Time Engineer. That was a long time ago and it was old even then, so I'm not sure if your library would still have it. David Weber has gone to that well two and a half times now in increasingly David Weber fashion. First with the last in the Dahak series, Heirs of Empire, half way in the March series he did with John Ringo, and again with the current Safehold series.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4755 on: September 12, 2012, 07:14:01 PM

I'm going to finish these.  I'm on book 4 and I have to see the end.  I'm telling myself there will be an ending that I can relate to (please don't ruin it for me if there isn't   awesome, for real).

The other books aren't full rapey goodness, Sky.  

I really like that series actually (read it all the way through a couple of times). The ending is pretty well put together.

And you are correct, just having some fun.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:19:29 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4756 on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:24 PM

Since Wool is checked out with multiple holds, I'm dipping into 1632. Devoured almost half of it last night, pretty quick read. I like this kind of book, ever since reading the old Joel Rosenberg "Modern D&D players get put into their game world" stuff. My favorite aspect was always how they build up the tech and smite backwards rulers and whatnot, fun pulpy stuff.
I'm slowly working my way through that -- got a few books in. The author actually collects a ton of, basically, fan short-stories done in "newspaper article" style. Baen has the whole thing in ebook form.

I'm always a sucker for Uzis versus Axes. :)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4757 on: September 13, 2012, 05:35:42 AM

So I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Overall they were pretty good reads. They went off in some generally odd directions at times but I recommend them.

Now I need to find something else new to read. hrmm

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4758 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:03 PM

Read Hit & Run about the two producers of Batman that managed to finagle their way into running a studio when Sony bought Columbia. It's a bit dated at it mostly concerns itself with the era of 1988-1995 but if you are into the movie business (or just how staggeringly stupid corporations can be with their money) its a pretty fun read.

Currently reading Lewis' The Big Short.

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4759 on: September 14, 2012, 01:23:43 AM

The Gap Cycle is about Violation and Rape.  Every Single Character has it happen to them.

If that's not your thing, don't read.  Other hand, it's an excellent series.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: