Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 546894 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:25 PM

My point was that the idea that was floated of having an mmo where the sole progression is akin to what people think of as attunement (using Zelda as an example) is a terrible idea that has many examples for why it will fall.

Leveling as a form of attunement can be debated, but it is irellevant to this discussion because it's not what people think of as attunement, and perception is everything.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #211 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:42 AM

I'm ready for an MMO that just trolls the user base.  No levels, just periodic stat increases that are accompanied by a level up sound.  The numbers are hidden, no one knows how much a stat increases certain skills, and even if you parse that shit, each point in a stat yields different gains.  Even better, make the gain RNG.  You can even subdivide and micromanage skills.  Put a point into fireball?  Ok, you did that 10 times already?  Now you have to put points into fireball range, fireball diameter, fireball damage.  Ow, I think I just got cancer.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #212 on: January 12, 2015, 11:04:07 AM

I would posit that the entirety of MMO development has been one long collective troll, but really it's just a litany of incompetence.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #213 on: January 12, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

Now you have to put points into fireball range, fireball diameter, fireball damage.  Ow, I think I just got cancer.

If you're implying that reaching level 100 out of 100 and a bunch of people wouldn't have put all points into fireball attributes to have one, awesome spell you're crazy. Of course it would have to be designed in such a way that the blast diameter is larger than the range unless people dump tons of points into range.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #214 on: January 12, 2015, 12:21:47 PM

The ultimate troll would be that a completely maxxed out fireball spell that takes 2,000 hours to achieve actually has a blast radius so big it kills you on cast.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 12, 2015, 01:29:07 PM

Yeah, but that other guy put all his points into fire resistance!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #216 on: January 13, 2015, 04:47:36 AM

The ultimate troll would be that a completely maxxed out fireball spell that takes 2,000 hours to achieve actually has a blast radius so big it kills you on cast.

A faction in the game is grinding out a single player to be their Big Bertha from Total Annihilation.

The enemy factions essentially have to destroy this character before he comes online and can begin shelling them from across the world map, or they will lose.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #217 on: January 13, 2015, 08:45:11 AM

I would play this hypothetical game you guys are designing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #218 on: January 13, 2015, 08:53:09 AM

Meanwhile, you start with only one zone. You have to unlock other zones through a bunch of collection quests against other servers, and a raid event that will crash the server every time you start it.

The server that comes in last gets erased.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: January 13, 2015, 09:14:06 AM

I need 5 more points in poison resistance before I can go into the new zone without taking constant damage every tick from the atmosphere!

schild
Administrator

Reply #220 on: January 13, 2015, 02:45:09 PM

Crowfall, because that's what they've been eating for a decade. Never has there been a more fitting name.

I would like all old people to immediately stop. What you ask? Everything.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: January 13, 2015, 04:04:42 PM

No cancer meds for you!   Get off my lawn!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #222 on: January 13, 2015, 04:42:04 PM

No cancer meds for you!   Get off my lawn!

Meds are the problem. Give us the cure, you bastards!

The recent story about being able to track mDNA being transmitted cell to cell was pretty interesting...I wonder if that will be the key.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:10 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:05 AM

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: January 14, 2015, 10:34:51 AM

I'm stag-man, all the way.

All these years and nobody thought to anthropomorphize deer in a RPG! It's a brave new world opening in front of us, gentlemen.

(Asian furgames do not count, please do not post counterexamples.)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: January 14, 2015, 10:35:36 AM

I see they have a hunger resistance stat, which implies that you'll have to spend time keeping yourself fed.  I can't see that being fun, but then I don't think I'm their target audience.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:24 AM

It's a hint, they got the IP and are pivoting to make a Hunger Games MMORPG. Combat is deemphasized in favor of brooding, depression, high fashion, heavy-handed references to the French revolution, and romantic love triangles.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: January 14, 2015, 11:13:31 AM

I want to be whatever the fat animal the sword is covering is.

I am the .00000001428%
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:25 AM

I see they have a hunger resistance stat, which implies that you'll have to spend time keeping yourself fed.  I can't see that being fun, but then I don't think I'm their target audience.
It depends. If you can buy food from a vendor, it's little more than a gold sink. If you have to farm and craft your food (or pay someone to do it) then it becomes a chore.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #230 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:23 AM

I want to be whatever the fat animal the sword is covering is.

My guess is goat.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: January 14, 2015, 11:31:36 AM

Minotaur.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #232 on: January 14, 2015, 11:32:46 AM

I would prefer it be a turkey. A race of turkeys hasn't been done yet in a game has it?

WayAbvPar

Reply #233 on: January 14, 2015, 11:37:23 AM

Civ V has the Ottoman Empire.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #234 on: January 14, 2015, 11:51:53 AM

Civ V has the Ottoman Empire.

OH HO HO

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #235 on: January 14, 2015, 12:04:41 PM

All these years and nobody thought to anthropomorphize deer in a RPG! It's a brave new world opening in front of us, gentlemen.

DAOC did it first again.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: January 14, 2015, 12:09:42 PM

I'm ready for an MMO that just trolls the user base.  No levels, just periodic stat increases that are accompanied by a level up sound.  The numbers are hidden, no one knows how much a stat increases certain skills, and even if you parse that shit, each point in a stat yields different gains.  Even better, make the gain RNG.  You can even subdivide and micromanage skills.  Put a point into fireball?  Ok, you did that 10 times already?  Now you have to put points into fireball range, fireball diameter, fireball damage.  Ow, I think I just got cancer.

So Eve Online?  why so serious?

Over and out.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 14, 2015, 01:02:17 PM

Not quite.  I'm still convinced Eve Online is just a ploy by HR Block to farm out tax return filing.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 14, 2015, 01:57:37 PM

The best part of EVE online is reading the awesome stories about the intrigue, betrayal, and in-game drama it generates.

The worst part of EVE online is playing EVE online.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #239 on: January 14, 2015, 02:25:52 PM

Fuck that style. They probably found the only way to drive me off a hardcore PvP MMO.

WayAbvPar

Reply #240 on: January 14, 2015, 02:44:21 PM

Fuck that style. They probably found the only way to drive me off a hardcore PvP MMO.

Agreed. That looks like Skylanders: The MMOG. My 6 year old would love it.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 14, 2015, 02:48:40 PM

I'm actually quite the opposite.  That route tells me they aren't so wedded to "realism" that can't be achieved with a low budget anyway that they could actually have some sense as a development team.

Or maybe the game will just suck either way.  Yeah, it's probably this one.  I can't see a game called Crowfall doing well.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:24 PM

DAOC did it first again.  why so serious?

I like the art style just fine from the actual game.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:17 PM

I don't see anything wrong with their art style, it tells me they are planning for having tons of characters on screen while still having a pleasant style.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #244 on: January 14, 2015, 03:16:26 PM

It's not wrong or right, it's a matter of personal taste. I *personally* DETEST & DESPISE what in the western hemisphere seems to be known as "cartoon style".

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: