Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 03:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  (Read 364322 times)
Phry
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: May 22, 2013, 07:37:51 PM

So i've reached a point where i gain 6-7 LP for a win and lose 20ish on a loss.  Kinda not feeling it anymore.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:03 PM

Finished my inaugural 10 matches.  Placed in Bronze III.  I guess that's decent, yeah?  Yeah?!   ACK!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1332 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:30 PM

Been playing a bit more of this lately. Hadn't realised it, but I had accumulated enough points for one of the 6300 champs. After a fair amount of deliberation, picked up Zyra to run as a support/utility pick. Been having great fun with her so far - just have to remember to use my plant railgun more often.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: May 30, 2013, 09:14:25 PM

Finished my inaugural 10 matches.  Placed in Bronze III.  I guess that's decent, yeah?  Yeah?!   ACK!
That's where it stuck me when I finally started playing ranked a week or two ago. It could be worse, I guess.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:52 AM

Been playing a bit more of this lately. Hadn't realised it, but I had accumulated enough points for one of the 6300 champs. After a fair amount of deliberation, picked up Zyra to run as a support/utility pick. Been having great fun with her so far - just have to remember to use my plant railgun more often.

She is also great mid (safe farming with plants and  lots of CC for teamfights). Even as support I tend to build zhonya/haunting guise on her
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1335 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:41 AM

That's where it stuck me when I finally started playing ranked a week or two ago. It could be worse, I guess.

Yes, you could be in Bronze 4 like me.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1336 on: May 31, 2013, 12:30:05 PM

Yah, I was going to say that.  Bronze 3 isn't good, but what I experienced at Bronze II (could never win promotion series) was less of a shithole than Haem's games I watched.  Bronze IV/V is a very special brand of hell.

edit: Unrelated, but it find it humorous that watching dota2 matches today, all the Twitch chat consists of is dota2 fans bitching about LoL.  You watch a LoL match and dota2 is never mentioned.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:22 PM

Generally things get better as you go up in rank. But not everything. In terms of "decentness" anything above Bronze 5 is top 50% of ranked i think. You have to get to silver/gold before you can start to claim you're "good". But even then its a qualified good. The level of play from Bronze to Silver is a sea change, from silver to gold is another sea change and similarly on up.

What really matters is whether or not you're having fun in your games and how hard they are. If you're stomping then you're not where you ought to be. If you're being stomped then you're too high. It will all work itself out though.
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: June 04, 2013, 01:43:07 AM

Fuck yeah, 15-game ranked winning streak, finally breaking free of Gold V and almost making it to Gold IV->III Promotions before my luck ran out. And the weirdest thing, I just offered to fill in all games, playing mostly support, but also all other roles. If I had to support I went Thresh->Leona->Taric, depending on bans. Thresh is just straight out overpowered. I also noticed that going for AD runes and not gp5, made the early laning phase much more fun, especially as Thresh.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1339 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:37 AM

I saw a fairly convincing argument recently that support is the best role for carrying games and gaining Elo (at least in Bronze where I am; maybe less applicable to Gold). Reasons being 1) most support players have a bad attitude because they were forced into the role, so it's not hard to be better than your opposition, 2) supports buy the most wards, which is commonly considered one of the easiest things low Elo players fuck up and by itself can save your team countless deaths, 3) supports have as much impact on feeding or denying the AD carries as the AD carries do themselves.

I've been playing support Lulu almost exclusively and am quite satisfied with how it's working out. Occasionally I end up with a better K:D than my carry. No regrets.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: June 04, 2013, 06:21:10 AM

I think if you are way ahead of the people around you support is probably the worst role for carrying, because no matter how good you are on a support you can't just kill the enemy team by yourself or push towers and take inhibs single-handedly. Whereas if you are a Platinum level jungle Zed playing in Bronze you can rack up 20 kills in 20 minutes and propel your team to almost certain victory.

However if you are marginally better than the people around you playing support can work very well for the reasons you mention. I've played support almost exclusively, currently in placement matches for Gold 3, still rising steadily with limited play time.

If you place wards and keep track of dragon timer that's probably enough to get to mid-level silver just by itself.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:43 AM

Not sure I agree - someone who mains support at a significantly higher level than he is playing at, should be able to completely demolish his lane. A toplaner can demolish the other toplaner and then roam. A support can keep down the adc and support on the team, and then go roaming. You can also secure every single dragon for your team and set-up your jungler for counterjungling. So it depends on your main role - someone who mains adc/apc won't carry well playing support, but someone who mains support can carry really damn hard. If a bottom lane is won and mid/top get ganked by a roaming support, most soloqueue team will break down into flaming and infighting, and stop fighting back. Granted, a midlaner/jungler/top can do the same, but people kind of expect them to gank. Very few people can mentally cope with being ahead in toplane and then suddenly being ganked by a surprise blitzcrank in the bush. Personally I think toplane is worst role for carrying if you are very far ahead. Even if you are winning the lane hard, it can be difficult to roam without giving away free farm and map control. Also the distance you have to travel to have meaningful impact as a toplaner is high. Also toplaners generally have high sustain and many ways to escape, so even if they are bad can be difficult to destroy the way you can do to a midlaner or bottom lane. Carrying as a toplaner works best if you can attract their jungle and mid and turn their ganks into more kills for you, and drakes for your team.
Rasix

Reply #1342 on: June 04, 2013, 11:47:03 AM

On my limited set of ranked games at my gimp elo (bronze II), I was 19-14 as support and 8-12 at everything else.   Rarely lost my lane as support, but player quality can really vary wildly at that level.  A lot of the time it can just be out of your hands, as inevitably, someone on the other team gets super fed and just walks all over your entire team. 

-Rasix
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:53 PM

Player quality varies wildly at most levels of play. MMR is really a very inaccurate and volatile estimate of skill, since it is tracked globally. Very often someone who is performing horribly is playing an unfamiliar champion or role.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: June 04, 2013, 01:11:34 PM

It depends both on where your advantages lie and on how relatively good you are.

If you're good enough that you can just straight up solo carry a game yourself on mechanical talent then you're probably better off in a role that gets farm. You can still buy wards in those positions and you can still buy more wards and since you're even more fed because you're good enough to hard carry you won't even suffer financially for it.

If you're not good enough to straight up solo carry a game yourself and your comparative advantage comes in knowing the game then you're probably better off in support. Your team mates will bicker at you less, since everyone else is bad at support you will get the largest relative skill gain by playing that position, and it puts you in a position to babysit the key lategame team fight damage dealer and ensure that they're strong without having to play ADC yourself and be forced to deal with some shitty support.
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: June 04, 2013, 01:28:30 PM

I don't think player skill is as one-dimensional as that. It isn't just about solo-carrying or not on the basis of mechanical skill. That can get you some of the way but the advantage of someone who is playing their main role against some considerably less skill is bigger than just mechanics. The game-sense, match-up knowledge, timing and ability to exert presence is a huge part of carrying.

I simply don't agree that for two players each playing their main role, say top and support - and at an equal level of skill at their particular role - because it really does make a difference to specialize in a role - support is less capable of carrying. Mid is the only role where I can agree that this might be the case. But if I got to pick a Diamond I player for my team in Gold, I would pick a support main over a top laner, as he would lock-down of their players and secure every single dragon. Support is pretty equal to ADC in carrying, IF it is your main role.
Rasix

Reply #1346 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:59 PM

Man, you get a lot of hate when you deny someone a penta.. on the other team.   I don't really see what the big deal is, I've gotten like 3 quadras in the past week (Jayce, Galio, Trist).  Still no penta. Big. Fucking. Deal.

My Nidalee still needs work, but I landed the shit out of some spears today.  THUNK THUNK THUNK.

ARAMs have really improved my team fighting.  My positioning is a lot better, especially with ADCs.   However, I'm still really, really derpy with a lot of the champs it sticks me with. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:09:13 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:19 AM

Well I failed my Gold 3 promotion, sigh.

First game our bot lane was doing awesome but the rest of our team was horrible. We had a guy choose Pantheon when the enemy solo lanes were Rumble and Renekton. He took teleport, I never saw him use it or his ult, he died constantly in lane, and our other solo lane did poorly as well.

Second game our bot lane did well, rest of team didn't do much, then our Graves started doing stupid shit like dashing into enemy team 1 v 5 after being overconfident from laning.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:41:20 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:01 AM

Lost my Gold 3 promotion as well. Won the first game, then a narrow loss, then one of those games where you wonder how these people made it this far. People player hyper-agressively, got behind, and player EVEN MORE aggresively. Don't know why people actively snowball the opponents like this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: June 05, 2013, 07:51:00 AM

I just started playing this game because my brother in law made me, and it's very fun. Previously I never played MOBAs because I sucked at them. This time around I'm having fun and I'm actually half way decent for a beginner.

Only level 8 though playing Thresh while my Bro in law ADCs with a few characters. I enjoy support quite a bit and will probably end up buying Leona when she's on sale plus someone else but I haven't decided yet.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: June 05, 2013, 08:20:22 AM

I enjoy support quite a bit and will probably end up buying Leona when she's on sale plus someone else but I haven't decided yet.

Check out Blitzcrank, many beginners have a hard time against Blitz and if you're in a coordinated bottom lane it's easy kills.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:14 PM

So after my promotional series I ROFLStomp back immediately to another one. This time a guy on our team with 20 wins in ranked first picks Garen top lane, enemy picks Quinn to counter and gets 5 kills and tower in first 8 minutes or so...

Edit: Won second game, now in third game team argues about who has what role, someone says they are jungling then they aren't, then they are again...sigh.

Edit2: And....jungle Akali goes 2/9 and rage quits. Yay.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:32:22 AM by Margalis »

Rasix

Reply #1352 on: June 06, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

I had pretty awful luck in all of my promotions.  The best was my client desyncing during champ select and not being able to do a third ban and getting a first pick randomed Sion... for support.  The guy going mid switches and feeds like nothing else.  I think I would have done better with a support Sion.

I think getting to 95 points ater a win (might have been 2) was the kicker.  Get one win for a measly 5 points and then roll the dice in trollsvile.  It feels like they draw from the "soon to be permabanned" pool when filling out your team for promotion match. 

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:46 AM

It's very frustrating to play a best of 3 where one game is decided by trolling. The third game we would have won easily, both our mid and bottom were crushing theirs.

People who troll because they didn't get the role they wanted in champ select are the worst. You really have to be a giant baby to do that.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:43 PM

Well I lost like 4 or 5 promotional series in a row that would have moved me to gold 3, then went on a losing streak and now I'm in gold 5 ugh.

Par for the course: I lock in Thresh and say I am support, next guy instalocks Leona and says "I thought you were top."

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1355 on: June 10, 2013, 07:41:12 AM

Got on a great winning streak and got promoted to Bronze 3! YAY.

Then lost 2 straight but haven't dropped tiers... yet.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1356 on: June 10, 2013, 08:32:53 AM

I've been inactive for like three months and dropped to Silver V... now I'm angsting about if I should jump back in for a game just to avoid dropping down to Bronze, or just say "screw it" and write the season off.  I'm really not liking the ranked system, honestly, it seems like it would be fun with a team or something but the constant bitching plus the fact that I never know what position I'll be stuck playing means I'm really stressed out whenever I play.  Ugh.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1357 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:21 PM

First impressions of Bronze 3 are it's worse than Bronze 4.  swamp poop

Four straight games of just HORRIBAD teams.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:57 PM

Getting used to Janna now a bit. Had my best game so far going 2/3/25 with some level 30 friends.
Rasix

Reply #1359 on: June 12, 2013, 10:55:07 PM

I came within an auto attack / q of a penta just now.  Playing Ziggs in an ARAM, listening to Space Jam.  Had them down to their Nexus, ulti gets two, mines get one, q + lich bane get the fourth, and then Fiora lunges under my Q and kills me before I get an auto off.  I think if I would have right clicked her before throwing the Q, I would have gotten it.  I honestly forgot she was even there.

Ohh well. Ziggs is borderline cheating on that map anyhow.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:59:49 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1360 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:31 AM

Yeah, Ziggs is absolutely unfair on ARAM. So are Xerath, Nidalee and Teemo.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1361 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:02 AM

Yeah, Ziggs is absolutely unfair on ARAM. So are Xerath, Nidalee and Teemo.

Jayce Jayce Jayce
Rasix

Reply #1362 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:25 AM

Bullshit tier: Heimerdinger, Nidalee, Xerath, Jayce, Teemo, Lux, AP Master Yi, AP Janna, Galio, Ziggs, Twisted Fate, Karthus

Ziggs, Xerath, and Janna  are awful to go against because they can hit you well behind your creep wave. You can randomly toss shit and kill someone you can't see.  At least Nidalee spears can hit a creep.  Last Janna game I had a Riven saying in all chat, "I'm really getting sick of that fucking knock up".

There's a lot that are pretty solid as well, but more manageable. Luckily the bullshit tier can't solo carry an ARAM.  Well, maybe Heimer can, as you just can't push against that jerk.  I had a bad AP Yi game recently, because my team did almost zero damage, and you need someone to get them low before you mop up.  Plus, he tapers off unless you're absolutely rolling them.

I think the only useless champ in an ARAM right now is Udyr.  Olaf is right up there as well.

-Rasix
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: June 13, 2013, 09:47:35 AM

Lolking has stats on ARAM: http://www.lolking.net/charts?region=all&type=champion-winrate&range=monthly&map=ha&queue=normal

Top 10 winrate champs over the last month according to that are Sona, Heimer, Kog'maw, Ziggs, Soraka, Lux, Janna, Zyra, Taric, Fiddlesticks.

Which bears out over my experience with the map. Sona is ridiculously good there.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Rasix

Reply #1364 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:38 AM

Yep.  I've gotten ridiculous scores there with Sona.  If you build her AP, the damage is ridiculous. Plus, nonstop spammable heals.  You drastically lower the risk of "we just won a fight but now we're so low we could easily get aced". 

And yah, Fiddle.  Ohh god, fuck Fiddle.  With the Dark Candy skin I can't even see his fucking ult.  Plus, crow bounces.  Crow bounces everywhere.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  
Jump to: