Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309909 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2310 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:35 PM

The last one that Jordan wrote entirely on his own was actually quite good. Knowledge of impending death really tightened up his style.

edit:grammar
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:41:26 PM by Reg »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2311 on: November 03, 2009, 08:20:20 PM

When it's all done, I'll read them again. I quit somewhere around book 85, mostly because I realized the first half of book 85 was everyone reacting to the last chapter of book 84.

I got really fed up with what felt like 6000 pages of "And holy crap, did everyone notice that immense magical working? Let's talk about it for 30 pages, then we shall allow EVERY character still alive who can sense magic to spend 30 pages on their version of 'OMG, WTF?'".

I think there's been three or four books since then, so I figured "why not wait?".

I'm regretting the decision to read through the series again.  Book ten marked a serious dip in my will to live, it is by far the worst of the lot.  Even worse than ZOMG massive magic shit is the fact that Perrin spends the entire duration of another book trying to rescue his wife, who doesn't move from the same fucking captured town she starts in.

If you haven't read it already, book eleven takes a turn for the better.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:48 PM

When it's all done, I'll read them again. I quit somewhere around book 85, mostly because I realized the first half of book 85 was everyone reacting to the last chapter of book 84.

I got really fed up with what felt like 6000 pages of "And holy crap, did everyone notice that immense magical working? Let's talk about it for 30 pages, then we shall allow EVERY character still alive who can sense magic to spend 30 pages on their version of 'OMG, WTF?'".

I think there's been three or four books since then, so I figured "why not wait?".

I'm regretting the decision to read through the series again.  Book ten marked a serious dip in my will to live, it is by far the worst of the lot.  Even worse than ZOMG massive magic shit is the fact that Perrin spends the entire duration of another book trying to rescue his wife, who doesn't move from the same fucking captured town she starts in.

Oh, that's downright epic compared to what he does in the latest book. He is by far the shittiest of the three of them.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2313 on: November 03, 2009, 10:22:46 PM

Oh, that's downright epic compared to what he does in the latest book. He is by far the shittiest of the three of them.

Shitty in what way?  "Oh, that's a retarded plot development," or "What the fuck is the purpose of this chapter?"

I can forgive abrupt developments at this point, it took way too fucking long for him to snap and cleave off a fuckers hand to show everyone who's boss.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2314 on: November 04, 2009, 03:03:06 AM

Shitty in the fact that, we all know what Rand and Mat's purpose is in the last battle. Rand is going to be the messiash/ultimate weapon of the light, Mat is going to blow the Horn of Valere and be the ultimate general, plus he has his own retinue of ass kickers., who he is outfitting with firearms.

What the fuck is Perrin going to do? Summon some wolves? Use his raggidy ass band of yokals? Seriously, what does he bring to the whole 'the taveren' thing?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2315 on: November 04, 2009, 07:19:44 AM

The weed.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2316 on: November 04, 2009, 08:16:46 AM

Mat is going to blow the Horn of Valere and be the ultimate general, plus he has his own retinue of ass kickers., who he is outfitting with firearms

Lolwut?  rolleyes Head scratch

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:56 AM

He's got that fireworks making lady with him remember? She's already invented cannons, maybe she makes a musket in the new book. Although Matt's guys were already incredibly deadly because of those fast-loading crossbows they have.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:24 AM

Okay maybe firearms was slightly incorrect. He is making cannons and artillery as a support weapon though (as Reg said). Point being, he's on the cutting edge of technolgy and tactics, Perrin is, well, not.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2319 on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:09 AM

What the fuck is Perrin going to do? Summon some wolves? Use his raggidy ass band of yokals? Seriously, what does he bring to the whole 'the taveren' thing?
A beard?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:28 AM

He's the weed dealer. You ever see a group of people, and one just didn't fit in? That's their weed guy.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: November 04, 2009, 10:19:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Perrin turns out to be the one to revive old Manetheren.  He's already got several kings and queens swearing fealty to him that rule countries that were part of it. Although I'm at a loss as to why they did it. Must be a wacky ta'veren thing.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2322 on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:53 AM

Last I read, Perrin was wandering around with an axe and a hammer, angsty over which he was going to choose, and worrying a lot about turning all the way into a wolf.

And his wife was a jealous bitch, but he seemed to get off on that, so, there you go.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2323 on: November 04, 2009, 01:53:18 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Perrin turns out to be the one to revive old Manetheren.

Oh for sure, but even so, what the fuck good is that going to do?

Perrin: Hey guys, I've reorganized the shell of a dead old nation!
Rand: Well, I've conquered half the world, forced male and female Aes Sedai back together (my extrapolation), and recovered all sorts of knowledge.
Mat: I've restored combat to a level of order not seen in millennia.
Perrin: Oh yeah, well, uh, I'm really good at talking to...
Rand: What's that sound? Oh sorry guy, that's the last battle, we gotta go. It'll probably reshape the world around you, but good luck on the Mana-whatever thing!
(For Sky)Perrin: I got some primo Shire-I mean Two Rivers Weed though.
Rand: Aight, you can come.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2324 on: November 05, 2009, 05:03:15 AM

You know in captain planet, you had that african who they swore was integral to the group even though he seemed completely useless? That's Perrin. He's the "heart" of the group. And, he's got wolves. Motherfucking wolves man. They'll come out of the TREES!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2325 on: November 05, 2009, 06:49:04 AM

What would you guys say your top ten favorite fiction authors are? Not necessarily sf/fantasy.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2326 on: November 05, 2009, 07:04:10 AM

These are not in ranked order, only in the order they came to me.

Edit: Forgot G.R.R. Martin. Well I guess I get 11
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:36:20 AM by Ashamanchill »

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: November 05, 2009, 07:05:01 AM

What would you guys say your top ten favorite fiction authors are? Not necessarily sf/fantasy.

In no particular order:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:23:19 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2328 on: November 05, 2009, 09:43:18 AM

In no real order either.

There are likely others, but these are the ones that came to mind where I'll read anything by them I run across. 
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2329 on: November 06, 2009, 01:38:47 AM

Again, not in any order.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2330 on: November 06, 2009, 04:10:21 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #2331 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:28 AM

Steven Brust
GRR Martin
Neal Stephenson
William Gibson
Jim Butcher
Robert Jordan
Patrick O'Brian
Glen Cook
Larry McMurtry
Raymond E. Feist

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2332 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:27 AM

M.G. Vassanji
Vernor Vinge
Larry McMurtry
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Ursula LeGuin
Mark Twain
Iain Banks
James Joyce
David Brin
Salman Rushdie

Bonus round:
Roger Zelanzy (wrote a bit too much crap to crack the Top Ten)
E.L. Doctorow
Stephen King
George Orwell (I like his essays better than his fiction.)
Herman Melville (Only Moby Dick really wows me, though.)

There are people I'd almost list because their best stuff is so great, but they've also some really bad shit, like Dan Simmons or Philip Jose Farmer. Or people whom I appreciate but whose self-indulgences are a low-level irritation, like Neal Stephenson. The people on this list are just my "must read their books, generally always like what they do, even a misfire is easily forgiven or forgotten". There are also people like Ralph Ellison, Malcolm Lowry, Harper Lee or Joseph Heller who only wrote one thing (more or less) that was fantastic, but this seems to me a listing I reserve for folks who've done quite a few things.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2333 on: November 06, 2009, 12:33:31 PM

No particular order:

Bruce Sterling
William Gibson
Neal Stephenson
Jack Kerouac
William Burroughs
Albert Camus
Jean-Paul Sartre
Franz Kafka
J.R.R. Tolkien
Leo Tolstoy

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2334 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:53 PM

Camus. Hm. I'm almost revising my own list. Gibson would be on my almost-10, maybe Sterling too.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2335 on: November 06, 2009, 01:30:22 PM

Tolkien, Eddings, and Zelazny where on my first alternate's list. Some of their stuff is brilliant, some not so much.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2336 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:26 AM

Vernor Vinge

If he had shown any intent to publish regularly I would put him into top 15 pretty easily but, yeah, two great books doesn't quite get you there for me.  Also, if it was "Author for single favorite book?" then, yes, Joseph Heller would certainly be top 10 for me.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2337 on: November 07, 2009, 06:34:08 AM

Alexander Dumas

I just got done listening to The Count of Monte Cristo at work.  Damn, I'd forgotten how good that book is and how wickedly sublime the revenge feels as it begins to unfold.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2338 on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:02 AM

I've been reading Winds of War for the last couple of weeks and I find it really good. If you like historical fiction, or if you just like WWII stuff, you'd probably enjoy it. Very well written and pacing is good. Covers an interesting time.

- Viin
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2339 on: November 08, 2009, 02:25:39 PM

Vernor Vinge

If he had shown any intent to publish regularly I would put him into top 15 pretty easily but, yeah, two great books doesn't quite get you there for me.  Also, if it was "Author for single favorite book?" then, yes, Joseph Heller would certainly be top 10 for me.
Three. I rather enjoyed Rainbow's End.

Also, I had a bit of a thought on the whole Perrin thing -- doesn't his little tiny army include true longbowmen? I'd bet on trained longbow users against muskets any day of the week.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:04 PM

I guess Shakespeare doesn't count right?

Malcolm Lowry (wrote more than just the one book. Hear Us O Lord.. and Lunar Caustic are worth a look to be sure)
Agatha Christie
Ryū Murakami
Umberto Eco
Frank Herbert
Arthur Ransome
George R. R. Martin
Peter F. Hamilton
Ryūnosuke Akutagawa
Albert Camus
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:31:55 PM by lamaros »
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2341 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:17 AM

Steven Brust
GRR Martin
Neal Stephenson
William Gibson
Jim Butcher
Robert Jordan
Patrick O'Brian
Glen Cook
Larry McMurtry
Raymond E. Feist

My list would look VERY much like this. I'd just replace Jordan with Neil Gaiman.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2342 on: November 09, 2009, 09:48:55 AM

I don't really have a top ten.  A top four, based on enjoying the works the first time, my continuing impression of the author, and rereads is probably:

Glen Cook
Neil Gaiman
Lovecraft
Tolkien

- Brust would have been on there a few years ago.  I'll still buy any of Brust's new stuff and reissues, but it's not a fav anymore. 
- Gene Wolfe is borderline. 
- Stephen King wrote a few great horror novels, and a bunch of amazing short stories, but he has lots of mediocre work. 
- Dan Simmons is probably borderline.  Generally really loved what I've read of his stuff, but never really felt the need to read it again.
- Zelazny, when he was on, was a great writer.  As others have noted, he did tend to churn out a bunch of payday type work though.
- Never was a huge fan of Jordan, Feist or Martin.
- Chabon is probably a borderline.
- Historical fiction-wise, Forester is borderline for the Hornblower books.
- Stephenson had one book I loved, a few others I generally enjoyed.
- Richard K. Morgan and Erikson might have been favs a while ago, but their later work has served to kill most of my interest in even their early stuff.

As far as pulpy, entertainment comfort reading goes...   Butcher, Gemmel, and Abnett.  Turn the brain off and go.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2343 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:15 AM

"Founding Fathers" category

Ursula K LeGuin
Homer
Frank Herbert
James Joyce
CS Lewis
Madeleine L'Engle
Herman Melville

Pretty amazing category
Elizabeth Moon
Elizabeth George
GRR Martin

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2344 on: November 09, 2009, 10:08:01 AM

Yeah, instead, you get to spend the next 8 books learning the backstory instead.  Starting through Toll the Hounds now, and I still don't know half of what's going on, or where he's even going with some of these storylines.

I couldn't make it through that book.  Thats where I gave up.

Question though for everyone.  I know I asked somewhere, it was in a nerdrage derail, but what book would I want if I want to start reading The Culture?
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: