Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:58:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309917 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4760 on: September 14, 2012, 06:52:08 AM

The Gap Cycle Everything Donaldson writes is about Violation and Rape. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4761 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:29 AM

Not so much.  His detective stories were entirely rape and mysogeny free and many of his short stories manage to do away with them.

Mordants Need also has very little to do with Rape (just a little rape here and there) but Teresa Morgan is really, really a dumb bitch, so it's kinda a wash there.

The First Covenant trilogy and Gap is pretty much all about the Rape.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4762 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:27 AM

(just a little rape here and there)

My staff is looking at me as if I just went insane as I guffaw loudly for no reason readily apparent to them.   why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4763 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:35 AM

Yeah, old Monty Python joke.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4764 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:13 PM

The Gap Cycle seemed all about turnaround. Victim to savior to villian -- everyone seemed to cycle around.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4765 on: September 14, 2012, 08:42:44 PM

Dammit, all this talk is making me want to read it for the third time.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4766 on: September 15, 2012, 02:36:23 AM

The Gap Cycle seemed all about turnaround. Victim to savior to villian -- everyone seemed to cycle around.

The Dragon didn't.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4767 on: September 15, 2012, 04:55:53 PM

Also read Divergent and Insurgent with make up the Divergent series (so far).  I really enjoyed both books and it's obvious there is more coming since the story isn't done yet.  It also appeals to me for being set in (a slightly broken) Chicago.

I read Divergent some time ago and while it wasn't too badly written, I had some issues stomaching the thick "science=bad, religion=good" etc. propaganda. How is the sequel compared to Divergent?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4768 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:15 PM

Also read Divergent and Insurgent with make up the Divergent series (so far).  I really enjoyed both books and it's obvious there is more coming since the story isn't done yet.  It also appeals to me for being set in (a slightly broken) Chicago.

I read Divergent some time ago and while it wasn't too badly written, I had some issues stomaching the thick "science=bad, religion=good" etc. propaganda. How is the sequel compared to Divergent?

Really?  I didn't get that kind of vibe from either book at all.  In fact, very little is mentioned about religion directly, outside of some mentions in the second book, in more of an informative way rather than "This is Religion Stuff!"  The general concept of there only being 5 primary factions/lifestyles for people to choose more than a bit limiting, especially when you end up with a much larger population of people who are factionless, but the premise isn't bad. 

The second book is better about showing how one dimensional the entire faction system is though, and starts to break that aspect of society down.  I occasionally had issues with the apparent ages of the main characters, but then I just need to remind myself that not all societies/cultures keep their kids under wraps until they are past a certain age.  Or I just say "it's fiction" and roll with it.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4769 on: September 17, 2012, 07:33:39 AM

The Dragon didn't.
I read it a long time ago. :) Sue me.
D'oh. i'm a moron for not spoilering that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:49:31 PM by Morat20 »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4770 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:07 AM

For entirely self-interested reasons, I wanted to mention that "The Palace Job," the first novel by Patrick Weekes, is now available on Amazon.

Patrick wrote Tali, Garrus, and Mordin in Mass Effect 2. (He worked on ME3 extensively too, but I don't have a list of what precise parts on hand).

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4771 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:08 AM

The Dragon didn't.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4772 on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:55 AM

For entirely self-interested reasons, I wanted to mention that "The Palace Job," the first novel by Patrick Weekes, is now available on Amazon.

Patrick wrote Tali, Garrus, and Mordin in Mass Effect 2. (He worked on ME3 extensively too, but I don't have a list of what precise parts on hand).

Is his game-writing-to-novel-writing transition more Drew Karpyshyn (burn it with fire and gouge your eyeballs out) or Dave Gaider (hey that wasn't bad at all!)?

I guess that's not a question that I should expect an answer to publicly, thinking about it. And not a licensed property is a good sign.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4773 on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:07 PM

Went out today to buy Wool.

Christ, bookstores are dead, eh ?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4774 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:47 PM

Went out today to buy Wool.

Christ, bookstores are dead, eh ?

I think it depends from town to town.  Whenever I go to Barnes and Nobles here, there are usually a decent amount of people in the store.  Compare that to two towns over, where the mall and major stores are, and the B&N and Borders both closed last year.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4775 on: September 17, 2012, 02:01:13 PM

Bookstores are going the way of the dinosaurs.  It's just a matter of time until they largely cease to exist.  I'm actually surprised that B&N hasn't been more proactive in changing its business model to something more modern.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4776 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:30 PM

The main change in the Waterstones I went to was the new addition of a massive cafe area.

That's kinda telling.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4777 on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:25 PM

We've already killed almost all our bookstores here in the US already.  B&N is pretty much it in most cities, excepting for some used book stores. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4778 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:33 PM

Bookstores are going the way of the dinosaurs.  It's just a matter of time until they largely cease to exist.  I'm actually surprised that B&N hasn't been more proactive in changing its business model to something more modern.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4779 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:37 PM

At least there's a Barnes and Noble near my house for when I forget to preorder something I've been waiting on.  Otherwise?  We mostly go to B&N to shop for birthday parties my son gets invited to. Books at that age (3) have a sensory component to them beyond just words on the page.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4780 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208

Ohhhhh, I see.

I was referring to closing superfluous stores and expanding their online offerings, smartass.   why so serious?
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4781 on: September 18, 2012, 05:10:33 AM

Finished up Tad Williams' foray into "traditional" urban fantasy with The Dirty Streets of Heaven. It's Harry Dresden as a lawyer angel instead of a wizard PI. Most of it was really enjoyable. In the end, it's alot like his series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, really well crafted and engrossing when you are reading, but very derivative. There wasn't anything new or different other than the quality of the writing. Read the Amazon teaser, if you like that, rest assured that the whole book is like that. He maintains a really strong tone throughout the whole book. I really appreciated that. Lots of the stuff I've been reading lately has odd turns in tone.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4782 on: September 18, 2012, 05:34:09 AM

I've decided to start reading Game of Thrones.  Have been deliberately avoiding both the book and the TV series until I could figure out which to start with.  Whatever.  I am aware that people are less than happy with the latest versions in the series (I tend to chalk most of that up to short attention spans and lack of patience in a lot of cases), but the dude can write.  I was puttering through the first few chapters of the first book just fine, but then I got hooked when...
So now I'm hooked.  Not more than a couple hundred pages along.  Does he always write chapters from the perspective of one of the characters?  It is an interesting approach.

Before this, I finished the Hunger Games Trilogy.  I rather liked the first in a superficial sort of way, but it's rather samey after that. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4783 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43:48 AM

I've decided to start reading Game of Thrones.  Have been deliberately avoiding both the book and the TV series until I could figure out which to start with.  Whatever.  I am aware that people are less than happy with the latest versions in the series (I tend to chalk most of that up to short attention spans and lack of patience in a lot of cases), but the dude can write. 
 You have not read his later books yet. It has nothing to do with short attention spans, believe me.
  Does he always write chapters from the perspective of one of the characters?  It is an interesting approach.
Yes.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4784 on: September 18, 2012, 06:25:34 AM

I've decided to start reading Game of Thrones.  Have been deliberately avoiding both the book and the TV series until I could figure out which to start with.  Whatever.  I am aware that people are less than happy with the latest versions in the series (I tend to chalk most of that up to short attention spans and lack of patience in a lot of cases), but the dude can write.  I was puttering through the first few chapters of the first book just fine, but then I got hooked when...
So now I'm hooked.  Not more than a couple hundred pages along.  Does he always write chapters from the perspective of one of the characters?  It is an interesting approach.

Before this, I finished the Hunger Games Trilogy.  I rather liked the first in a superficial sort of way, but it's rather samey after that. 

I can't wait to see how pissed off you are when you get through book 5......... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4785 on: September 18, 2012, 07:05:13 AM

Damn you people!  awesome, for real

But anyway, I doubt it.  I takes a whole fucking lot to rile me up.  I mean, I have read all 12 of the Wheel of Times books, all the Sword of Truth books and even all the Drizzt books.  Maybe I just like crappy books, actually. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4786 on: September 18, 2012, 07:30:06 AM

If you've read all of the Wheel of Time there is nothing that George RR Martin can do to you that hasn't already been done.  I'm currently on book 4 of the WoT.  It's my third time to try and get through them.  I figured listening to them instead of reading might make a difference.  I'm starting to bog down again.  I feel another book 5 exit....... Heartbreak
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4787 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:51 AM

I sorta skimmed through books 6-9 of WoT and then read a bit more in depth in the last ones, all to get ready for January.

Damn you people!  awesome, for real

But anyway, I doubt it.  I takes a whole fucking lot to rile me up.  I mean, I have read all 12 of the Wheel of Times books, all the Sword of Truth books and even all the Drizzt books.  Maybe I just like crappy books, actually. 
I'm so very sorry for you.  Really, really sorry.  I couldn't even get through one of those.  The Drizz't books are just pure pulp though.  I loved them as a kid but the thought of reading them now just kind of makes me cringe for all the cliches in them. 

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4788 on: September 18, 2012, 08:48:47 AM

If you've read all of the Wheel of Time there is nothing that George RR Martin can do to you that hasn't already been done.  I'm currently on book 4 of the WoT.  It's my third time to try and get through them.  I figured listening to them instead of reading might make a difference.  I'm starting to bog down again.  I feel another book 5 exit....... Heartbreak

Dunno, Although he might make you wish he did Jordon doesn't make a habit out of killing off your favorite characters.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4789 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:50 AM

Jordon doesn't make a habit out of killing off your favorite all the characters.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4790 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:02 AM

I've decided to start reading Game of Thrones ....  the dude can write.

He can, I really enjoyed some of his other books too:
Fevre Dream
Dying of the Light
Armageddon Rag <--- One of my favorite shorter novels

A vampire on a Mississippi river boat? A resurrected rock star trying to bring Armageddon about? Yes please.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4791 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:55 AM

Just finished Book 3 of Game of Thrones actually. It's definitely the best of the series, and a HUGE improvement over 2. So many OH SHIT DID HE JUST... moments in that book. The next two seasons of the show are going to be out-fucking-standing. I am so tempted to go get Book 4 but am hesitant for 2 reasons: 1) I know there's only 2 more books in the series and I don't want to finish the whole thing then have that "WHEN WILL HE FINISH BOOK 6!!!!" feeling and 2) I've heard the series goes downhill after that and I really don't want to read that knowing #1.

And for those who have been waiting, I'm probably 2-3 more writing sessions away from finishing my next novel's first draft.

WayAbvPar

Reply #4792 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:43 PM

FWIW 4 wasn't quite the shitshow I remembered when I re-read it. I am guessing 5 will be the same (haven't re-read it yet). Not the same quality as the first 3, but readable.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4793 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:18 PM

I found 5 to be a significant dip from 4.  I, like you, didn't find 4 quite so bad as everyone else.  I'm hoping that he can pick it up again a little in 6 and we'll see some "method to his madness" in book 5. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4794 on: September 18, 2012, 01:39:20 PM

Well at least after book 5 my expectations for 6 are so low that I'll probably enjoy it.  At this point I've nearly lost all my interest in the living characters and just want the Fire vs. Ice History lesson.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: