Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 05:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 533086 times)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: April 07, 2012, 06:20:41 AM

So I finally tried this again. I wasn't able to make a Dragon character because my slots are filled, but I went back into my Illuminati character which is in the first instance. The game has improved GREATLY. The models all look better, though the animations, especially combat animations, are still crappy. The voice acting is still really bad. I've gone from definitely not pre-ordering to not pre-ordering at this time, but maybe I should look at it more. The most innovative thing it does do is having a defensive target. Whenever you enter combat, you pick an offensive target and a defensive one. If you aren't in a party, you are always the defensive target. Certain abilities will heal or give other positive effects to your defensive target.

Just a little helpful hint. If you want to delete a character to free up a slot, select the character and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard as they do not provide a delete button on the character select screen.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1121 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:04 AM

I was looking for that shit yesterday. Fucking muppets in their UI department need a swift kicking in the balls.

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:21 AM

There's a 40 minute gameplay video on Betacake leaked by some Russian guy.  I won't put the link, cause I don't know how you guys feel about that site...

Anyway, the guy is pretty terrible at playing, and you can see some bugs, but I still thought it looked more interesting than SWTOR - bad animations and all.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:39 AM

There's a 40 minute gameplay video on Betacake leaked by some Russian guy.  I won't put the link, cause I don't know how you guys feel about that site...

Anyway, the guy is pretty terrible at playing, and you can see some bugs, but I still thought it looked more interesting than SWTOR - bad animations and all.

That looked rather dam cool, IMO.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:45 PM

FunCom got that pulled from Youtube rather sharpish. Anyone would think they have something to hide  why so serious?
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: April 07, 2012, 12:26:29 PM

FunCom got that pulled from Youtube rather sharpish. Anyone would think they have something to hide  why so serious?

Yeah - there were clearly some bugs - like a lady standing on the sidewalk talking to another guy and she had bare breasts (in the middle of New York.. maybe this was by design! :)  Some network latency was evident, and the animations weren't too awesome.  Otherwise it seemed pretty good, to me.  Maybe it was an old beta build?  I dunno.  The character custimization seemed decent.  Not as much as some games, but more than others.  I've heard them say they are adding a lot more before release, but we've all heard that before.

I can see why they wouldn't want this out there representing their product, though.  I hope they have a lot of polish and animations lined up in the next few patches ... June 19th is approaching :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:36:22 PM by blackwulf »
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:56 PM

PAX East gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw9rQI17j7k

Phone camera, and not much action, but it does show a city that actually looks alive, and pretty nice graphics.  Also, the animation of the guy running looks very fluid.  I wish it had some combat.  I'm sure more vids will be popping up over the weekend.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:52 PM

I just filmed a quick 5min play session here at paxx.   UI is pretty, game play is standard.  Combat animations are realty uninspiring.  I also don't pimp my wares everywhere!
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: April 07, 2012, 05:14:45 PM

I just filmed a quick 5min play session here at paxx.   UI is pretty, game play is standard.  Combat animations are realty uninspiring.  I also don't pimp my wares everywhere!

Where you gonna post your vid, Draegan?  Is there a generic Junkies page or you have a blog or something?
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: April 07, 2012, 05:36:11 PM

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: April 07, 2012, 05:40:43 PM

Yeah, the video above from PAX shows a game that looks a hell of a lot better.  Either that Russian dude is post old beta builds, or his computer is really bad.  I can kinda see why Funcom is taking them down when they find em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: April 07, 2012, 08:18:13 PM

Played two different classes for about 45 minutes at Pax. Meh. Some interesting combat abilities. But the demo was purely combat based. No quests, no cutscenes, no establishing premise, nadda. Or maybe it was just my two sessions. The only thing this game has going for it is their conspiracy theory setting. But the demo was just your generic hero-vs-monster mash, albeit with a wider assortment of weapons than the typical fantasy setting.

Graphics were ok. AoC looked hella better all around. There's a lot of detail to the environments. But when the real world itself is boring, so will the simulation of it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:26 PM

I'll have it included  in a video cast hopefully real soon.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: April 09, 2012, 04:57:23 PM

Nice compilation of vids from PAX East.  http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=26305

The Wahoozerman ones show a lot of gameplay.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:26 PM

Too bad that's not actually indicative of the starting gameplay.  There's no telling how many skill points he's got in his character.  My starting experience with a shotgun or assault rife was shoot x 100 to kill a couple mobs then rest.  Terrible, terrible gameplay.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1135 on: April 10, 2012, 11:55:31 AM

Lol whut? This video is EXACTLY the starting gameplay segment (once you get past the tutorial).

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:50 PM

What I mean is, when I went through the same newbie areas with a shotgun or assault rifle and it was like playing an MMO from about 2000 or so:  Barely making it out alive with lots (relative to todays MMOs) of rest time in between.  That dude in the video was blowing groups of zombies up in a couple seconds.  If I went with a magic user, it went pretty fast, but shotguns and rifles are weaksauce at the beginning.  Or I was doing something wrong (entirely possible).  That said, even as a magic user it was tab, 1, 3, 2, tab, 1, 3, 2, tab, 1, 3, 2 done.

:yawn:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:13:02 PM by SnakeCharmer »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1137 on: April 10, 2012, 02:00:44 PM

I don't remember there being a lot of rest time in between (less than 30 seconds) but yes, the combat is mostly circa 2001 era MMO. And why hit tab? Just hit another attack button and it auto-targets one of the group.

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:38 PM

What I mean is, when I went through the same newbie areas with a shotgun or assault rifle and it was like playing an MMO from about 2000 or so:  Barely making it out alive with lots (relative to todays MMOs) of rest time in between.  That dude in the video was blowing groups of zombies up in a couple seconds.  If I went with a magic user, it went pretty fast, but shotguns and rifles are weaksauce at the beginning.  Or I was doing something wrong (entirely possible).  That said, even as a magic user it was tab, 1, 3, 2, tab, 1, 3, 2, tab, 1, 3, 2 done.

:yawn:

So, what you are saying is that newbies don't have a lot of skills to use.  Seems pretty standard to me.  I mean, even TERA with it's purported 'awesome combat' is just point at monster and spam left mouse button when you are a newbie.  Granted, I have not played TSW, and maybe it never gets better, but I'm just guessing with 500+ skills and custom builds, you can get to the point where combat isn't a *yawn* fest.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:12 PM

I'm not seeing enough negativity people.  Cmon, you can do better.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: April 11, 2012, 01:24:51 AM

I want to love this.

Skill based instead of class based.

Awesome setting.

Ragnar, whom I have to be a bit of a fanboy towards.

But not going to lie, the gameplay videos look...meh. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1141 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:19 AM

Honestly, the first few levels can be really boring, but the combat system can get pretty complicated and while they could have found ways to make it more appealing in the first levels, the point is to slowly introduce MMORPG players to what is not-your-conventional-auto-attack thingie. I think they have been too cautious, resulting in a dull start, but it picks up some pace (way) later.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1142 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:36 AM

Yeah, it starts off REALLY REALLY boring combat wise. I played a shotgun/assault rifle guy. The stuff they showed in that video with the gas cans and the fire and jumping on cars to set off the alarms was interesting environmental stuff, but once you get past that first area into the town proper is where it gets boring. I haven't put enough time into it to really get to the interesting parts of combat yet, after probably 2-3 hours worth? And there are some ANNOYING trap puzzles in one area of the first town that made me quit beta earlier.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:22 AM

No, see, that's the problem. It doesn't get interesting after a few hours. It gets interesting after many DAYS of /played.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:29 PM

No, see, that's the problem. It doesn't get interesting after a few hours. It gets interesting after many DAYS of /played.

You have to earn enjoyment, it shouldnt just be handed to you
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:04 PM

You have to earn enjoyment, it shouldnt just be handed to you

My money and I would disagree with you to a point. 

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1146 on: April 11, 2012, 01:56:29 PM

ACK!

Deal breaker. 

-Rasix
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:26 AM

Lol whut? This video is EXACTLY the starting gameplay segment (once you get past the tutorial).

Christ. Once again, long arse winded dialogue scenes. From 7:15, an NPC talking for over a minute without interuption. That's terrible writing.  swamp poop

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:39 AM

I disagree with that. Some like it a lot. There's never enough "story" in MMORPGs, and as long as you can skip it, what's the problem?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1149 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:49 AM

You can skip it but that kind of reduces the game to what it is... a somewhat boilerplate MMO with great atmosphere and sub-single-player-level gameplay. Of course, the voice acting in the cutscenes is fuckawful.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1150 on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:56 PM

I have split off the posts with NDA breaking information while I deal with Funcom. They contacted me and wanted me to remove any infringing post. I have a gripe with this, and I want it dealt with - and I want some fucking answers - so I've moved the thread out of the way and will merge things back if need be and unlock this.

Game drops on June 19th. We'll see what happens here, and elsewhere, between now and the NDA dropping.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1151 on: April 13, 2012, 09:52:39 AM

As you can see. I have unlocked this topic. I have re-merged all previous information.

I made a mild (MILD) deal with Funcom on this one (SO READ THESE NUMBERED THINGS):

1. You can keep writing about the game (because Jews control the media).
2. You can not post screenshots/movies. Why? Well, I kinda agree that even Age of Conan had some good changes go in at the last second, and arguably it's the only game ever with something CLOSE to a miracle patch. So let's hold off on showing possibly unfinished actual goods.
3. If you post a screenshot or video. I will happily turn your email address over to them for removal from the beta. In addition, I will delete the post.
4. You may SAY in TEXT whatever you want about the game. In my opinion, customers have a fucking right to talk about something they can spend money on - I don't think anyone will fight me on that.

Enjoy.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1152 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:16 AM

(because Jews control the media).

I KNEW it!

That said, i'm still not in this beta, so bleh.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:13 PM

I don't blame them for having a problem with us breaking the NDA.  Principle of legal terms, obligations, etc.

The fact that they actually wanted to pursue the censure of what little information we discussed speaks volumes, and reaffirms my choice for keeping this on my "Try it when there's a trial or goes F2P" list.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39:20 PM

I do. I don't see why it is considered a transitive contract. If I promise to not break the NDA then any breaches are between myself and the other side of the contract. And perceptions or discussion of the game are not copyright infringement that extends beyond that. But whatever makes Schild's life easier comes first.

That said my enthusiasm for the game has mostly evaporated. I adore the setting, and the look, but the mechanics are more traditional and don't seem to lead anywhere interesting. And with funcom there's no reason to assume the game is fully fleshed out. The feeling that they have something to hide compares negatively with the GW2 team starting to dump information and gameplay insight.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:38:07 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: