Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724586 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #560 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:13 PM

The model should be a $25 box, $15 sub for 3 months with micro-trans for vanity stuff.  If you have a sub active, you get any released expansion at the time. If you come back after expansions, you pay $10 to catch up on top of your 3 month sub.

Businesses have to set a price based on what they are offering, not based on their costs.  I don't know if SOE has that mentality.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: April 12, 2011, 12:39:22 PM

Head scratch

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #562 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:25 PM

Cthulu
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: April 12, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Yeah, Planetside was always too expensive at full MMO price for a shooter.  Back when I was still playing EQ I could get it as part of the station pass and everything was chill, but it wasn't worth the full monthly fee on its own.  $5 monthly and I'd bite, though.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:19 PM

I think that if they came up with a reasonable way to charge for time logged in, it would feel better than plopping down 15 bucks a month. More work for the billing department though.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #565 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:42 PM

No-one is a huge fan of pay-per-minute though. APB fell over before there was much evidence that modern FPSers would pay for blocks of time instead of a sub fee.

If SOE wants large player numbers, F2P is the best option. However, they'll need some kind of revenue system, probably coming from tiered abilities, cosmetic items and maybe some power-ups.

Multiplayer FPSes need population to survive, along with the cash revenue. A sub fee explicitly locks out a lot of that population. Even box cost and microtrans is a better option than a sub fee in this area.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: April 13, 2011, 05:13:52 AM

I think that if they came up with a reasonable way to charge for time logged in, it would feel better than plopping down 15 bucks a month. More work for the billing department though.

This is at odds with - "we've created a game that is only fun if there are people to play with".

It think FPS either need to go the GW route, or be F2P and have a vanity shop. 

Or go niche, but go full on persistent with factions and battles mean something and the possibility of losing the war.  Make it so that each full war lasts no more than a month, charge users per war (i.e. per month).  End of the month, the world resets.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:46 AM

I feel almost exactly the opposite to be honest.  I like paying a flat fee and then not worrying about it all month.  The fact that I would know I was being charged for every moment I was playing would stress me out, even if the price ended up being cheaper.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:25 AM

I would enjoy seeing a model like LOTRO.

F2p with restrictions OR A monthly fee granting full features. A kin to the fodder system. This way those who want to pay jack squat can, and those who don't like to count coins while we plan can.

It think FPS either need to go the GW route, or be F2P and have a vanity shop. 

Or go niche, but go full on persistent with factions and battles mean something and the possibility of losing the war.  Make it so that each full war lasts no more than a month, charge users per war (i.e. per month).  End of the month, the world resets.

You just described the (New) Global agenda model (Sans monthly payment). Only thing you lack is the boosters ( + to "XP"/loot gain for X time ).

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:33 AM

PlanetSide Next Producer letter!

Looking back through the archives, it’s been a while since we’ve done a proper Planetside Producer letter, so let’s get rolling!

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Andrew Sites and about a month ago I joined the Planetside Next development team as the Executive Producer. While I may be new to Planetside, I’ve been around the block a few times here at Sony Online. I’ve worked in production on several SOE projects, including EverQuest, EverQuest II, Free Realms and most recently was the EP on Clone Wars Adventures. But enough about me, let’s talk about Planetside.

While combing through the Planetside forums, I can see that you’re not just amped about the promise of a sequel being developed, but even more so, you want some details. With Planetside now approaching its 8 year anniversary, it’s still easy to look back and see just how it set the bar for Massively Multiplayer FPS games. It was fun, fast-paced and most importantly, it offered truly MASSIVE FPS combat that hasn’t been recreated since. When we started designing Planetside Next, our goal was to build upon the original foundational elements that made it unique, while focusing heavily on the large-scale combat that set it apart from the competition. We’ve got some big shoes to fill, but as we begin unveiling the details, I think you’re going to be VERY excited to see what we have planned.

As you know, Planetside Next was announced by Smed via Twitter about a year and a half ago. Since then, the development team has been pining away on a new graphics engine, building art assets and designing new content. To support our ongoing development efforts, the team has increased in size significantly over the past several weeks. We’ve also brought back several team members from the original Planetside art, design and code team, as well as a ton of other talented, experienced MMO and FPS developers – many of whom I will begin introducing to you in my next update.

To say that the team and I are excited would be an understatement. Over the coming weeks and months, you can expect to receive a lot more detail about what we have in-store for PSNext. Much of this information will be presented to the PS community exclusively, because frankly, if your passion for the original didn’t exist, I wouldn’t be typing this.

Planetside set the bar for the Massively Multiplayer FPS market 8 year ago and we look forward to setting it again.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #570 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:15 AM

Why would you feel the need to copy and paste that? I just read that fucking thing and there is zero actual interesting content in there.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: April 14, 2011, 08:53:51 AM

Its what I have always done. If I find news, lame or not, I post it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #572 on: April 14, 2011, 09:40:45 AM

Facepalm

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: April 14, 2011, 10:58:31 AM

Do you ever question if that's a good idea? Curious. I understand you're fulfilling some sort of need in yourself to share this stuff, but I don't know if you're considering the audience when you do so.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:19 AM

I'm sorry, a producers letter was posted, I brought it here.

I do not see the problem.  If you don't care, don't read it? Thats what I do.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:29 AM

I don't see an issue with what BW did.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #576 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:13 AM

My issue is more that the producer's letter said fuckall about anything interesting whatsoever. Nothing about the game's design features. It was a "I work here now!" post. Why copy and paste that? It was barely useful on the site it was posted on where only Planetside fans go. When I look at this thread being updated, I hope that it's at least updated with something interesting - or it's another MMOFPS is/isn't viable discussion.

You don't have to post useless producer's letters that say nothing about the game development. Post that there is a producer's letter that says so and so is now Exec. Producer, then post a link. You should only be posting the whole story when there's actually some sort of story to post.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:50 AM

It put a number of conjecture points to rest, and included some info about the team itself and its development time. It was relevant to me.

I now return to you to the ongoing MMOFPS is/isn't viable discussion.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:17 AM

It did contain something interesting to me. What they didn't say about planetside.  Actuallly they should put in some sort of guildwars hall of monuments thing and watch their subs rise while they milk the franchise before they crash and burn with the sequel.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 14, 2011, 05:24:10 PM

I don't doubt others took some value from it. That's reason enough to post something. But I think your perspective on what is actual relevant information and what is just marketing fodder for a fanbase crazed for updates of any value is a little skewed. I won't presume what the majority is here.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #580 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:29 PM

While I agree that letter is worthless, it does give us a heretic to burn when PS2 goes vapor. Now we know precisely who to throw stones at... or at least one more person.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:09 PM

Or hey! We could make fun of where he couldn't even get an informationless self-introductory puff piece right.   awesome, for real

My favorite is this line: "Since then, the development team has been pining away on a new graphics engine, building art assets and designing new content."

Nevermind that they hopefully weren't working on a new graphics engine for any significant part of that year and a half since the game was announced, or is this their third try now?  The real gem is his use of "pining away".  How the hell do you "pine away" on anything?  I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.  why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: April 14, 2011, 08:02:48 PM

Amped?  Really?  I have yet to meet a person who used that in conversation.
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 15, 2011, 12:23:37 AM

With any luck, his poor use of language means he's got actual code monkey experience!  He's bound to get good results from his fellow code writing humans!

awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #584 on: April 15, 2011, 12:31:16 AM

While I agree that letter is worthless, it does give us a heretic to burn when PS2 goes vapor. Now we know precisely who to throw stones at... or at least one more person.

Smed is still your primary target.

Never forget.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sutro
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: April 15, 2011, 02:24:49 AM

It's interesting insofar as the producer was the EP of Clone Wars Adventures. I, for one, am thankful I'm able to lower my expectations some more.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: April 15, 2011, 05:17:36 AM

It's interesting insofar as the producer was the EP of Clone Wars Adventures. I, for one, am thankful I'm able to lower my expectations some more.

Yeah, but having some of the original developers from PS1 Counters that for me.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #587 on: April 15, 2011, 07:37:58 AM

Its what I have always done. If I find news, lame or not, I post it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 15, 2011, 07:53:59 AM

You been snooping on my hard drive Yeg?

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 21, 2011, 10:45:19 AM

He should said "Over the coming years ,weeks and months, you can expect to receive a lot more detail about what we have in-store for PSNext."

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:22 PM

Masturbating over every little development isn't going to make it come out any faster. Seriously detached from the hype machine. When it happens, it happens. THEN I'll care about it. Meantime I have more important things to do with my time.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #591 on: April 21, 2011, 03:41:57 PM

Masturbating over every little development isn't going to make it come out any faster. Seriously detached from the hype machine. When it happens, it happens. THEN I'll care about it. Meantime I have more important things to do with my time.

Like this post!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 21, 2011, 04:20:23 PM

awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #593 on: April 21, 2011, 09:00:36 PM

Lorekeep, living up to the avatar.
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:38 PM

I got a Planetside 2 new map for you, bitches :D !

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: