Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 418281 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:48 PM

I went to target.  Bought a "pre-release" box.  One dollar.  Has a 5 dollar off coupon in it.

I look at it like this.  For a buck, I get 2 week demo.  If I like it, I get 4 bucks off the box.  If it sucks, I'm out a buck.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:29 PM

People seem a lot more touchy over this than they have been in the past with other things- everyone's going all HRosey on Mythic.  I guess we're finally past the stage where we welcome each new designer drug with open arms, and are finally worried about the lying dead in a gutter part. 

It's the effect of seeing history repeat itself, or something. Like lots of folks just came off the latest disappointment (AoC) so the hate is fresh and freely given.

My personal hate is older and well nourished with time and bitter though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: August 08, 2008, 02:15:19 PM

I personally think the 'official' excuse will be something like that the art wasn't right on the Zealot, so they had to hold off on the NDA or else you'd be seeing terrible art and you'd hate the game.  I don't think the official excuse will even come close to addressing whatever real problem exists that they are hiding.

The NDA has been pretty much ineffective for the last couple of months on any and all sites without very active mods.

So if you want to know if they are 'hiding' anything then google is your friend.

Personally my bet would be on over-protective PR lunatics from EA who don't really know wtf they are doing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #633 on: August 08, 2008, 03:30:41 PM

damnn some serious Mob action over something that to me just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Release is over a month away, there is still a NDA.  I have no records or lists of previous games release date vs. NDA lift date, but is the NDA still in effect that unusual?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: August 08, 2008, 03:32:25 PM

No not really.

But it is also not unusual for MMOGs to suck.

Is there a connection? You decide.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: August 08, 2008, 04:12:11 PM

Something posted on Corpnews (by daslog) that's interesting:

Quote from: daslog
So here is something interesting I saw elsewhere.

http://vnboards.ign.com/Message.aspx?topic=107012047&brd=22997&start=107020114

"However, what I do agree with is that gamers don't like being kept in the dark by an NDA and that if the NDA is kept in place until just before a game is launched that bad things can happen. As I've said before, my system for judging a company's confidence in its product is based on how early the NDA is lifted. I give the game one point for every week before launch that the NDA is lifted. A score of 1 or less means big trouble, 2-4 is okay but not great, 4-8 is good to great and anything higher than that is nirvana. I also agree that few MMORPGs have turned out to be anything like advertised pre-launch which is why the timing of the NDA lift is so important. Again, keep in mind that this only applies to games that uses non-employee or contracted beta testers. Many games don't do this but for MMOs I think it is a very good and necessary thing to ensure that the developer sees a wide range of players, play styles, etc. during the development process.

Mark"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeap, said it, meant it, stand by it, etc.

Mark "

So, 6 points and falling?

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: August 08, 2008, 04:46:30 PM

I think I saw that here (lol) or maybe FOH

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #637 on: August 08, 2008, 04:50:33 PM

I guess Gamestop "ran out" of codes for people who spent the extra money to buy the Collector's Edition...  They are blaming it on Mythic for not sending any more.  I'm pretty sure I bought it the day the box art and sku came out so Gamestop wasn't sending them out in order of those who purchased.  I'm now displeased with both Mythic and Gamestop.

So if you bought it online and haven't gotten your codes yet you are screwed.  You aren't getting into "open" beta and you aren't getting the headstart either.

I'm rather unhappy and am taking this as a sign from God that I shouldn't buy or play the game at all so I cancelled everything.

Edit: I was wrong, it was my mistake, they sent me the codes ages ago but it's been so long I forgot about them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 08:04:06 AM by Miasma »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: August 08, 2008, 05:03:09 PM

I guess Gamestop "ran out" of codes for people who spent the extra money to buy the Collector's Edition...  They are blaming it on Mythic for not sending any more.  I'm pretty sure I bought it the day the box art and sku came out so Gamestop wasn't sending them out in order of those who purchased.  I'm now displeased with both Mythic and Gamestop.

So if you bought it online and haven't gotten your codes yet you are screwed.  You aren't getting into "open" beta and you aren't getting the headstart either.

I'm rather unhappy and am taking this as a sign from God that I shouldn't buy or play the game at all so I cancelled everything.

went to target, bought two copies of the preorder for me and a buddy, they had about ten boxes on the shelf. I wish all pre-order stuff was like this, i hate eb/gamestop. easy peasy

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: August 08, 2008, 05:05:38 PM

Isn't this exactly what happened with AoC?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #640 on: August 08, 2008, 05:23:02 PM

Yes, also with Gamestop, so it sounds like a problem with them. I got my code immediately with Amazon back when things first went up for preorder.  It sounds like Gamestop feels they can play the numbers game, figuring they can take more than their allotment of preorders at the beginning and then send-out codes as people cancel.    They apparently didn't get enough cancellations.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #641 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:37 PM

Gamestop...  why we give these fucktards money is beyond me.  It's either deal with these assholes who only provide the minimum service they have to, or go to a department store and hope they have what I want. 

When I went in for my preorder box for WAR, the guy said that he couldn't find them because one of the other guys takes the free stuff home and gives it to his friends.  Luckily he brought some of them back the next day so I got one, but over half the people at the store I go to are *not* getting preorder boxes.  This guy has been pretty straight with me in the past... he's not a manager but knows quite a bit of how their system works, enough now that he's jaded about this crap. 

As far as the collector's editions, they had those preorder cards months ago when that edition was announced.  Those have been gone for awhile now because they were giving them to everyone who preordered either edition.  It's bullshit.. but what are your options?
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05:19 PM

buy online?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: August 08, 2008, 08:06:00 PM

Gamestop...  why we give these fucktards money is beyond me.  It's either deal with these assholes who only provide the minimum service they have to, or go to a department store and hope they have what I want. 

When I went in for my preorder box for WAR, the guy said that he couldn't find them because one of the other guys takes the free stuff home and gives it to his friends.  Luckily he brought some of them back the next day so I got one, but over half the people at the store I go to are *not* getting preorder boxes.  This guy has been pretty straight with me in the past... he's not a manager but knows quite a bit of how their system works, enough now that he's jaded about this crap. 

As far as the collector's editions, they had those preorder cards months ago when that edition was announced.  Those have been gone for awhile now because they were giving them to everyone who preordered either edition.  It's bullshit.. but what are your options?

or go to target right now and get it for $1?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:34 AM

So when I plunk down $1 at Target what am I getting and what day can I start playing?  I need to schedule some vacation.  Yes I am that sad.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: August 09, 2008, 09:27:32 AM

So when I plunk down $1 at Target what am I getting and what day can I start playing?  I need to schedule some vacation.  Yes I am that sad.

you get

a $5 coupon off WAR if you buy a box at target
a slot in the open beta when open beta starts, when ever that is.
a "head start" when the game goes live.  probably get in early on the servers
some in game stuff

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: August 09, 2008, 10:43:45 AM

you get

some in game stuff

also two of the in-game items, some tent and a fire dmg ring for pve

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: August 09, 2008, 10:48:40 AM

Why would anyone order anything from Gamestop?  I trust EAstore, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. must more than I trust them. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:20 AM

or go to target right now and get it for $1?

Target by me notoriously doesn't get games at launch.  Sometimes its a few days after, sometimes a few weeks.  Buying online also doesn't guarantee launch day delivery unless you pay $15 for overnight.  I'm a cheapskate. 

EDIT: Not to mention that Gamestop is the only place that takes trades... I seem to always have credit with them so that's why I end up buying from them too.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: August 09, 2008, 05:40:07 PM

First wave of CE Closed beta invites went out.  I didn't get anything yet.  Supposedly, over the next few days, anyone who meets undisclosed closed beta minimum specs with a CE preorder will automatically get in. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: August 10, 2008, 04:12:25 AM

I wonder if they will wipe the servers before release. 

About Target.  When WoW BC came out I stood in line at BB and didn't get a CE.  I felt a little panicky and drove over to Target where there were three on the shelf.  And no line.

So yeah, I think I'll do that Target thing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #651 on: August 10, 2008, 09:37:46 AM

Wal*Mart, particularly the Super Wal*Marts are also good for first-day releases.  Super Wal*Mart is good because you can go at midnight or 5-6am and get one of the trogs to unpack it for you (if they aren't already doing so.) since they're open 24 hours.   My wife did this for WoW and CoH because she was working 2nd shift at the time, so it was easy to stop on the way home.  Downside is you have to go to Wal*Mart.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: August 10, 2008, 03:26:19 PM

Don't shop at Walmart.  Do it for the children.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: August 10, 2008, 07:20:49 PM

Finally got my closed beta invite  Heart Heart Heart

Its funny, immediately after receiving the email, I suddenly became very resentful of all the newbs who whine about the NDA, and thought "why can't they just wait?"

...strange, that. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #654 on: August 10, 2008, 09:57:31 PM

Don't shop at Walmart.  Do it for the children.

I used to care.  Nowadays, as things get more expensive and I don't get pay raises while the salespeople and exces come in with new cars every year? Not so much.

waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: August 11, 2008, 06:23:59 AM

Its time for the NDA to go. After seeing the abomination that was AOC with its failed end game, lagging out super computers, etc people need to hear from other real players whether or not Warhammer is functional.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:35 AM

you get

some in game stuff

Just did this myself. =) I was hoping for a disc with some goodies, like music and art...but eh...$0.99.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: August 11, 2008, 06:57:42 AM

Its time for the NDA to go. After seeing the abomination that was AOC with its failed end game, lagging out super computers, etc people need to hear from other real players whether or not Warhammer is functional.

We were chock full of AoC beta players here on f13.

Same goes for Hellgate.

Yet the the 'NDA down' thread and the launch threads for both games told us all how full of win they are. People are overrating the value of beta player's opinions.

For that matter, when the NDA came down on WoW, the general opinion was 'meh'.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #658 on: August 11, 2008, 07:45:59 AM

For that matter, when the NDA came down on WoW, the general opinion was 'meh'.
Oh yes, that was really the general opinion.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:08 AM

He probably forgot the green.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: August 11, 2008, 08:50:45 AM

probably forgot the green.

I never played WoW beta, I was just basing my comment on beta/release threads around here.

Quote from: SirBruce
Highly Unpolished.

Seriously, have they even played other MMOGs to understand some of the advances that have been made since 1998?

Quote from: HaemishM
It was more polished than Horizons.

Quote from: HRose
Sheeps are critters. No experience from them. You will meet mobs like boars from level 1 till the end. Just switching names and perhaps texture and dimensions....The interface is wonderful in WoW  ....What I mean is that the game IS unpolished. But exactly where you didn't comment.

Quote from: Margalis
most of the complaints are "it isn't like other MMORPGs."

Quote from: Shockeye
A cow collecting herbs is just asking for trouble. You bring it on yourself, sir.

So 200k accounts, an estimated but unofficial 250k boxes sold, and over 100k concurrent (and screaming in the queue) users on opening day. Of course, this is all a bit premature, considering the server, database and latency problems they've been having. Hopefully they'll release some numbers in the middle of December that will either show they retained a lot of users or lost a lot.

I've had more bugs come up in WoW than I did in EQ2's beta, or in CoH's release. I have PERSONALLY had those bugs; I'm not claiming any game has been less or more bug-free.

Quote from: schild
The treadmill is so short that I'll have 5 characters maxed within a year. With Epic Gear.

Quote from: WindupAtheist
I always have something to do, and it's non-shitty.

Quote from: schild
There's no such thing as too much cake.

I like WoW because it is "good enough" all around. I'll pay for consistency.

Quote from: Morphiend
Tonight, the lag is horrible.

Quote from: Stray
Yeah, it's decent. It's been running extremely well, looks cool, but it's not sparking enough interest for me to buy it --- I've played it before, I don't feel like playing it again.

However, winnar!

You cannot review a MMOG after 1 week. I don't care how much beta you play. Every whoresite does this right after release, sometimes the day of release. I am getting very sick of it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #661 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:09 AM

That's a really bad sample. 

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:19 AM

I dunno, there really is no such thing as too much cake.

Beyond that it was really hard to find any posts where anyone had any particularly strong feelings about WoW either way.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:00 AM

Look at who you're quoting, you could interchange every single game ever released and you could find a quote from those people on that game that is nearly identical.

Plus this is F13, what do you expect?  I thought you meant the general gaming public.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: August 11, 2008, 09:00:03 AM

Plus this is F13, what do you expect?

Mostly, I was hoping to find quotes on F13 that would tell us something about what was likely to happen on F13 when the NDA goes away and and people start posting on F13.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: