Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 421437 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:23 AM

And on similar sites your more than likely to find videos, screenshots and people talking about the game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #596 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:26 AM

If you don't like the way Mythic is handling pre-release don't purchase the game. 

Yep, that's the way it's going to work. I'm quite fine with not buying it on release for the sole reason of the NDA not being dropped. My point is that if the NDA were dropped and the feedback was positive, I might consider. If the NDA isn't dropped and soon, it doesn't matter to me what people say, I won't buy it on release. And these days, I won't buy it without trying it for free anyway.

Barriers to entry do not a sale make.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #597 on: August 07, 2008, 12:21:53 PM

I am glad that AoC finally taught you guys a lesson you should have learned a long time ago.  If a game has real legs you shouldn't need to pre-order it.  Only crappy MMOs are relying on the pre-orders.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:11 PM

I didn't preorder, but some of us do Collect collector editions.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: August 07, 2008, 01:19:33 PM

To be fair, Mark Jacobs said he will explain the length of the NDA after it drops. I'm looking forward to that explanation honestly.

I am looking forward to the explanation too, I hope it has something to do with steak and fine wine vs. McDonalds.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:17 PM

I didn't preorder, but some of us do Collect collector editions.

Yep I do this.  If I know I'm gonna try the game anyway i'll get the collector's edition.

As for the NDA I guess it drops next week.  Preorders are going to be let into closed beta then open beta probably the week before launch.  This is just what I have seen on a couple sites, not sure about its validity.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #601 on: August 07, 2008, 07:29:40 PM

I am glad that AoC finally taught you guys a lesson you should have learned a long time ago.  If a game has real legs you shouldn't need to pre-order it.  Only crappy MMOs are relying on the pre-orders.

Remember: WAR is about the PvP. With PvP, you have to get in on launch or else you'll be behind forever.

Or so I'm told. Personally I'd rather someone else find all the dead spots / bugs / exploits in a MMO and that they get fixed before I get there.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #602 on: August 07, 2008, 07:36:51 PM

PvP meanies

So are we doing Bat Country WAR or not?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Sign me up.  There's some funny shit one can do at launch.   Knowing that it will all be vain in a few weeks/months.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: August 07, 2008, 08:36:25 PM

Remember: WAR is about the PvP. With PvP, you have to get in on launch or else you'll be behind forever.

Doesn't that limit any later growth of the game? I know in DAOC getting into the game a couple years later made it difficult to catch up.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #604 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:53 PM

Doesn't that limit any later growth of the game? I know in DAOC getting into the game a couple years later made it difficult to catch up.

I think the way around that is to change the PvP ruleset in some way so that new players have some way to 'catch up' while older players get a new challenge.

But it's also e-peens getting mixed up in MMOs, PvP and video games in general. Being "FIRST!" in a new game is srs busnss. After month 1, bugs get hammered, exploits that let you PL to the top get removed and bleeding edge players are already looking for the Next Big Thing.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: August 08, 2008, 03:12:35 AM

There are benefits to being in the first wave that I rarely see anyone mention:

0) The world is new to everyone (except the beta testers), so asking a question in chat doesn't immediately spawn 500 Lrn2Ply comments.  Also known as - the tools who derive their self-worth from demonstrating video game knowledge haven't had a chance to reach maximum gland
1) All strategies are new strategies.  You don't have to put up with game canon in regards to how you approach any particular encounter, because no one knows what they are doing.
2) Personal rivalries haven't gotten to the caustic stage - more true in the early days, now more and more hate is being carried from game to game.  Hopefully WoW expanding of the MMO playerbase will have watered this down a bit
3) Less, "Class X sucks, we don't need that in our group".  Again, this talks to pre-conceved notions and the people that live and die by them.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: August 08, 2008, 03:54:58 AM

I'm trying to remember the other issues it had. Was something amazing like no itemization for the last 10 levels or some shit.

Yea like no drops at all and the xp curve was asymptotic past 40 or something.   

The cut content and NDA reek of bad news to me.  I thought WAR was supposed to be getting big fat sacks of cash to ensure non-suckage?  Maybe it doesn't suck but I'm not seeing the big fat sacks of cash at all.

Also I find it a bit interesting that they chose to cut all the classes set to fill the wildly popular "caster/heavy melee" style.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: August 08, 2008, 05:16:05 AM

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108139367/p1/?256

"7) Regarding the NDA lift, we hope to lift the NDA next week, one month before launch. I wish I could lift it right now but as I’ve said elsewhere, we need to take care of a three issues before the NDA is lifted. One has already been taken care of and I hope that by the end of next week, the other two will be taken care of as well. Once we lift the NDA I’ll go into more detail as to what the issues were and why I wanted to hold things up. The remaining two issues are not earth-shattering by any means but when I explain things, I hope you’ll understand why I wanted to wait another week."

So hopefuly by next Friday the NDA will be up and the floodgate of info can begin.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: August 08, 2008, 06:16:43 AM

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108139367/p1/?256

"7) Regarding the NDA lift, we hope to lift the NDA next week, one month before launch. I wish I could lift it right now but as I’ve said elsewhere, we need to take care of a three issues before the NDA is lifted. One has already been taken care of and I hope that by the end of next week, the other two will be taken care of as well. Once we lift the NDA I’ll go into more detail as to what the issues were and why I wanted to hold things up. The remaining two issues are not earth-shattering by any means but when I explain things, I hope you’ll understand why I wanted to wait another week."

So hopefuly by next Friday the NDA will be up and the floodgate of info can begin.

If the issues are not earth shattering, then you don't need an NDA. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36:45 AM

I bet it's not earth shattering but more an issue that would not inspire confidence. Not "half the content is in" but more of a tiny bug that occasionally wipes your character or loses you levels or something. A minor little glitch that rarely happens but if it does would cause nerdrage untold. I can really see a thing like that being a reason to keep an NDA up because that's a bug that needs to be fixed before people play the game, content or lack thereof can always be patched in later.
If the issues are not earth shattering, then you don't need an NDA. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:38:52 AM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #610 on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:50 AM

I bet it's not earth shattering but more an issue that would not inspire confidence. Not "half the content is in" but more of a tiny bug that occasionally wipes your character or loses you levels or something.

That's a pretty fucking earth shattering example.

I personally think the 'official' excuse will be something like that the art wasn't right on the Zealot, so they had to hold off on the NDA or else you'd be seeing terrible art and you'd hate the game.  I don't think the official excuse will even come close to addressing whatever real problem exists that they are hiding.  I also see that Jacobs is experiencing some heavy pressure from the fanbase about why they are still under NDA, so I think whatever it is they are hiding must be pretty fucking bad, because whatever buzz it would generate must be worse than the buzz of the game moving steadily through "okay but not great" territory using Jacob's very own grading scale.

EDIT:  In fact, I put the odds on the excuse being that the EA legal department was hard to maneuver through and the NDA lift was all about corporate B.S. and nothing at all about the game.  That's an overall win for Mythic:  It makes EA the bad guy, something the fanbois will love to hear.  It makes the game 'perfect' and the NDA could have been lifted long ago had it been for the hero Mark Jacobs.  It shows that our poor downtrodden hero was having to fight through corporate lawyer bullshit, a role that every internet tough guy loves to imagine himself in while he plays games in his mother's basement and bitches about lawyers on internet message boards even though he's never encountered one in real life.  It would make for the best excuse of all time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:12:25 AM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:54 AM

I personally think the 'official' excuse will be something like that the art wasn't right on the Zealot, so they had to hold off on the NDA or else you'd be seeing terrible art and you'd hate the game.  I don't think the official excuse will even come close to addressing whatever real problem exists that they are hiding.  I also see that Jacobs is experiencing some heavy pressure from the fanbase about why they are still under NDA, so I think whatever it is they are hiding must be pretty fucking bad, because whatever buzz it would generate must be worse than the buzz of the game moving steadily through "okay but not great" territory using Jacob's very own grading scale.

EDIT:  In fact, I put the odds on the excuse being that the EA legal department was hard to maneuver through and the NDA lift was all about corporate B.S. and nothing at all about the game.  That's an overall win for Mythic:  It makes EA the bad guy, something the fanbois will love to hear.  It makes the game 'perfect' and the NDA could have been lifted long ago had it been for the hero Mark Jacobs.  It shows that our poor downtrodden hero was having to fight through corporate lawyer bullshit, a role that every internet tough guy loves to imagine himself in while he plays games in his mother's basement and bitches about lawyers on internet message boards even though he's never encountered one in real life.  It would make for the best excuse of all time.

Tinfoil Hat
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #612 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:38 AM

Tinfoil Hat

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

EDIT:  Not buying into everything the marketing department tells you about the product they want you to buy, one step away from manifestos in my isolated Montana cabin.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:19:19 AM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:51 AM

NDAs aer unfair to some  wehn EA out ruined uo buy giving in to all those trammel newbs we wuz all like WTF?!?! this carebear shit sucks and itz all the same shitz nwo with WAR they are NDA still cuz they put trammel into WAR and they r fraid to tells us real playerz that they made WAR a carebear/pk mirror.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: August 08, 2008, 08:24:25 AM

A minor little glitch that rarely happens but if it does would cause nerdrage untold.

Case and point:

We get it, time to let it go. It seems most of the people here who are coming out saying things like "I won't buy WAR, its going to suck, etc..." were never going to pay for it in the first place and are just looking for a reason or validation of that choice. 
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #615 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:11 AM

A minor little glitch that rarely happens but if it does would cause nerdrage untold.

Case and point:

But you keep reiterating my point, whatever they are hiding must be something that would cause MORE nerdrage than what is already occuring because of their decision to hide whatever it is that I can't even speculate on because they are hiding it and the hiding of it is strictly enforced around these parts.  Which all goes back to:  I had the game on pre-order, I wanted to buy the game, but this hiding shit makes it seem like a poor investment of $204.14.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #616 on: August 08, 2008, 08:52:36 AM

Games aren't investments. They are roll-the-dice gambles of which, at best, you break even in the metaphorical sense.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #617 on: August 08, 2008, 09:04:06 AM

Games aren't investments. They are roll-the-dice gambles of which, at best, you break even in the metaphorical sense.

Ohhhhh, I see.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: August 08, 2008, 09:19:29 AM

We get it, time to let it go. It seems most of the people here who are coming out saying things like "I won't buy WAR, its going to suck, etc..." were never going to pay for it in the first place and are just looking for a reason or validation of that choice. 

To defend Cevik (I can't believe I am doing this):  Expecting a totally unmitigated disaster greatly enhances the chances of being pleasantly surprised...
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #619 on: August 08, 2008, 09:28:49 AM

Or so I'm told. Personally I'd rather someone else find all the dead spots / bugs / exploits in a MMO and that they get fixed before I get there.
It would also depend on if the game was about empire building.  If you come late and all the empires are established, you are seriously behind.  WAR is RvR not empire building.  And EvE seems like a strong counter example.  In DAoC,  Mudflation of abilities seriously crippled late comers.  But I seriously doubt waiting a month or two after release for the game to "calm down" is going to run into that.  It's what I did for AoC.  When things calmed down, AoC problems were clear and I choose to not to buy it. o/\o For WAR I choose to go CE because Mythic released far more substantial info and the track record with DAoC.

"Me am play gods"
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #620 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:05 AM

But you keep reiterating my point, whatever they are hiding must be something that would cause MORE nerdrage than what is already occuring because of their decision to hide whatever it is that I can't even speculate on because they are hiding it and the hiding of it is strictly enforced around these parts.
At this point i'm inclined to chalk it up just to them (or the publisher) catching acute case of stupid; kind of like they kept releasing these hideous screenshots and videos as if not realizing how they'd shape opinions people had about the game. I.e. it's nothing actually earth-shattering but for whatever reason they don't quite grasp the impact of it, or don't consider it a big deal. Come to think of it to the average gamer who barely registers there's this WAR thing coming, it probably indeed isn't.

But then cancelling the preorder is not a big deal and i guess given all that quite sensible -- better safe than sorry and all that.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: August 08, 2008, 09:54:04 AM

People seem a lot more touchy over this than they have been in the past with other things- everyone's going all HRosey on Mythic.  I guess we're finally past the stage where we welcome each new designer drug with open arms, and are finally worried about the lying dead in a gutter part. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #622 on: August 08, 2008, 10:12:54 AM

But then cancelling the preorder is not a big deal and i guess given all that quite sensible -- better safe than sorry and all that.

No no, from what I've learned in this thread, canceling your pre-order is crazy at a level that falls somewhere in between thinking 9/11 is an inside job and holocaust denial.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:38 AM

No no, from what I've learned in this thread, canceling your pre-order is crazy at a level that falls somewhere in between thinking 9/11 is an inside job and holocaust denial.

swamp poop

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: August 08, 2008, 10:39:52 AM

Jesus dude, is this another of your "Everyone hates me" mood swings?

No one cares about you and your pre-order, if you canceled, good for you. If you didn't, i hope you have fun with the game.

If you don't like it, or think they are hading something, then i have respect that you would cancel, i would too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:41:26 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: August 08, 2008, 10:42:09 AM

What's the point of imminent pre-launch MMO threads if we don't consider every opinion that deviates slightly from our own to be a personal attack on everything we've ever believed? 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:50:56 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: August 08, 2008, 10:53:03 AM

It's ok to feel that at times though. I'm happy as paranoid when I see all the naive shitfucks around me.

On-topic : It was never said that pre-ordering is the only way to get in beta, as far as I remember, I am confident there will be other alternative pay-to-play methods to get into the beta. Fileplanet weekend, Warhammer Herald competitions, first come first serve registration at random sites etcetra. I kinda like that its a bit more controlled remembering some of the last open betas.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: August 08, 2008, 10:58:03 AM

What's the point of imminent pre-launch MMO threads if we don't consider every opinion that deviates slightly from our own to be a personal attack on everything we've ever believed? 

lol, on that note i concede.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #628 on: August 08, 2008, 11:31:24 AM

You have me confused with someone else, I suffer from delusions of grandeur, I think you all love me and worship me as your god.

True story.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:55 PM

lol, ok then.

I feel ya though, don't get me wrong. Been burned by pre-drders myself. Now i just don't get all hyped up, and still try to buy the collectors edition, just cuse i collectors such things.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:20:30 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: