Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 04:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Open Beta Started 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Open Beta Started  (Read 33524 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #105 on: November 12, 2004, 03:13:53 AM

Are you saying you think GW is WoW w/o the suck? Whoa. Radical posish there pal

HRose?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #106 on: November 12, 2004, 05:04:40 AM

Quote from: Kageru
It must be somewhat of a blow to blizzards "coder ego" that they can't manage to match the free bit-torrent clients.

Actually I doubt it given the crappy quality of their B.Net client interfaces. They simply don't have the network programming talent. In fact, their WoW sign-in architecture is so mind-boggling stupid you would think their network architect was missing from class when multiplying fractions was taught. I tried to login a couple of days ago during prime time (yeah I'm an idiot) and I literally had failures at 5 different points during the sign on procedure. The messages you get are:

Connecting
Authenticating
Handshaking
Success
Connected

and at each of those steps you can fail and get disconnected including the last one oddly enough. Checking things out with a packet sniffer it looks like you get passed through 3 different machines just to do the initial connection. Totally bizarre.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: November 12, 2004, 05:17:32 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
Quote from: Signe
Righ downloaded the game using my Fileplanet account.   The darn thing is corrupt.  I checked out some boards and quite a few people are beginning to complain about the same thing... all from Fileplanet downloads.

Quick note on this. If you are running Windows XP, you can simply use the Extraction Wizard. Right-click on the file and choose Extract All... That will work. No need to install WinZip, but if you already did, use it. By the way, if you install WinZip, it takes away the WinXP extraction option on the right-click menu and replaces it with its own. It is the spawn of satan and totally unneccessary. I prefer WinRAR.

Or switch to the last free version of Powerarc. A friend turned me on to this and it blows the doors off winzip. Search the web for powarc60.exe, it's still up for download a ton of places. It went payware but version 6.0 is still free and works on every zip file I've ever had to deal with.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #108 on: November 12, 2004, 08:03:00 AM

Quote from: chinslim
Tip: If you start ranting and pulling your hair out over a *beta*, step away from the keyboard and give your butthole some breathing room.

This is open beta, two weeks from release. These are issues that could very well affect the release. The BitTorrent client, which they continue to say is not going to be the only patching option is one problem. And it's a huge problem, because they are expecting people who may never have played an MMOG to be patient for this kind of shit, all the while paying for the privilege of getting kicked in the junk every patch. Their web servers WILL be where you register your account. How many times has it been lamented that this industry continues to make THE SAME FUCKUPS every single goddamn time? This is a precursor to those same fuckups. If you can't get it right in open beta, either because you are too cheap to buy the bandwidth or to arrogant to think your shit don't stink, I will bitch about it.

It's what I do. Saying "it's beta" at this point, when certain things like the BitTorrent client have been brought up for months and months doesn't cut it anymore.

This bitch is gold. No more excuses.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: November 12, 2004, 09:47:55 AM

Well I guess I was comparatively lucky. Got about 45k each way and had the whole thing after starting it overnight.  Initially I was only getting about 10k but on the advice of the client, I opened the specified ports on my router and got 45k.

The client does, however, suck massive donkey balls nonetheless.  People are not going to be so understanding if this is what they have to use when it goes live.  They better do something in time for release or they'll have a real shitstorm on their hands.

The game? I'm really enjoying it so far.  Runs very nicely on my mid to low-grade system.  Not really much lag while fighting though I've run into some strange lag when looting or finishing quests.  Stability has been mixed.  Most of the time its rock solid but when I go to a couple areas (like the Orc/Troll newbie dungeon), crashes galore.  I don't need to spend a lot of time there, but I sure hope I don't see this in an area more significant.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #110 on: November 12, 2004, 09:52:49 AM

Quote from: stray
Are you saying you think GW is WoW w/o the suck? Whoa. Radical posish there pal

HRose?

It can't be HRose.  That English isn't broken enough.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #111 on: November 12, 2004, 11:45:08 AM

Tip: If you start ranting and pulling your hair out over a *beta*, step away from the keyboard and give your butthole some breathing room.

Do you know where you're posting? The point isn't to enjoy these games, but garner enough information to rant about them while avoiding tasks at work.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #112 on: November 12, 2004, 11:49:30 AM

Well, he DID use the word 'butthole' in his post.  Give him a little credit.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #113 on: November 12, 2004, 11:50:38 AM

Quote from: Soukyan

Quick note on this. If you are running Windows XP, you can simply use the Extraction Wizard. Right-click on the file and choose Extract All... That will work. No need to install WinZip, but if you already did, use it. By the way, if you install WinZip, it takes away the WinXP extraction option on the right-click menu and replaces it with its own. It is the spawn of satan and totally unneccessary. I prefer WinRAR.

If you are using XP, you can use the built in compression library... unless you've installed something else that's fubar'd it. In my case, that would be StarDock's Object Desktop. Windows software is regularly a pile of festering shite, and uninstalling the shite never cleans up the system. As with WinZip, so with Object Desktop. Mea maxima culpa, must remember to only install games on the game computer.

As for the "open beta" - I have no illusions about the status. The game is launched, we don't have to pay yet, and they will wipe once at the point they cut the indigent people off. You can either view this as a trial sample to decide if you want to buy it, or you can look at it as "5% extra free!" if you are going to buy it. There is no "test" at this stage, and they can expect it to be judged as a finished product. Their BT client is so craptastic, they may as well stream Xmodem over TCP/IP.

It's more fun than I expected, and it has shiny appeal. Cows are fun, but you need to make a dwarf and go see the comedy routine at the mortar team halfway between starter town and newb town #2.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #114 on: November 12, 2004, 04:16:00 PM

Quote from: Righ
you need to make a dwarf and go see the comedy routine at the mortar team halfway between starter town and newb town #2.

The Riflemen there are pretty funny too.  Actually, a lot of their lines are straight from the figures in WC3, when you click them alot.  The Dwarven Mortar Team shouts "Mooortaaar Combaaat!!", "Hey, catch this!" etc.  

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: November 13, 2004, 05:01:10 PM

It's silly, but I like hearing "Zug Zug."

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #116 on: November 15, 2004, 10:33:45 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
It's silly, but I like hearing "Zug Zug."

I'm still hunting for 'I can see my house from here'.  No joy on the zeppelins.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #117 on: November 15, 2004, 11:25:53 AM

My take so far

I am a sucker, payed 15 bucks for fileplanet for a key and a download.. a download I tried 3 goddamn times, that was corrupt each and every time, yeah i tinkered with my firewall, used different extraction methods etc.  Finally drove to a friends house and burned the extracted files to 5 cds then put them on my magic box and hit install... thinks went fine after that.   Fileplanet your are fucking tools.  One thing I appreciated about the L2 beta.. well the only thing really, was that they gave you the option to download the client as one huge file or as 4 or 5 smaller files. It is real kick to the nuts when after 2.5 gigs of downloading, one file is corrupt and you have to download the whole thing all over instead of just downloading the one file that has "issues".

How is the game.. as I lay in bed this morning nursing the flu and dreading my court date this thursday something came into my mind.  Jell-O... yep Jell-O.  This is all the same stuff, just a different flavor of Jell-O.   I like the flavor of this Jell-O though, after a long time of eating the same flavor of Daoc Jell-O, the new WoW Jell-O is pretty tasty... but in the end it is still Jell-O.  

Last sunday and early last week the lag on the server i am on was fine... there would be some, but i would think "oh it is beta after all" however as the week progressed it became the soul crushing sort of lag.  The lag where you know you are dead, but there you are on screen still looting number 3 of 10 widgets while 8 critters beat on you.  Apparently I made a huge mistake on server selection as PST pvp 9 seems to have several metric fucktons of players.

I am playing an undead rogue, got it up to 21, the instances are ok... some are nifty actually.. but nifty turns to annoying pretty rapidly in the mmog world for me.  I dig the class, like the skills.. though there seems to be a serious shortage of daggers in the WoW world.  Had some minor pvp experiences, along with many duels.   The pvp seems fast, no /stick and no /face is a great thing, and many Daoc players are tripping on that curb, while the EQ zek players are feeling right at home.  

I think it is safe to say that, given that this is the first melee stealth class i have ever played (SB shadow mage doesn't count in my book) I suck.  Not painfully, but I suck.  I am a southpaw and have gotten by using the mouse in my left hand and using the number pad for movement in all my past pve and pvp mmogs.  For this game I have had to switch to using the mouse in the right hand so i can mouse look strafe etc. while hitting my 'styles' and 'finishing moves' or whatever they are called.  So not only am i pretending to be ambidextrous, I am also playing a wholly unfamiliar style of gameplay to me. .. practice makes perfect... I will be eating this flavor of Jell-O for sometime I think.

-me

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 17, 2004, 08:35:01 AM

Did anyone here get a beta account and decided to stop playing?  I did not get to sign up because unforseen circumstances.  I would like to try WOW because if I don't, I won't buy it.  If anyone could PM an account name and password they decided not use that would be great.  Thanks guys.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: November 17, 2004, 09:41:04 AM

Jell-O is made out of boiled animal bones/skin/etc.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 17, 2004, 10:23:59 AM

Quote from: Trippy
 The messages you get are:

Connecting
Authenticating
Handshaking
Success
Connected

and at each of those steps you can fail and get disconnected including the last one oddly enough. Checking things out with a packet sniffer it looks like you get passed through 3 different machines just to do the initial connection. Totally bizarre.

I guess I was under the impression that these are the steps involved in any such connection, and that Blizzard was simply being more explicit.  And I would consider login problems to be par for the course in a stress test.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Open Beta Started  
Jump to: