Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The "New" New Avengers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "New" New Avengers  (Read 32830 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: January 13, 2007, 06:46:23 PM

So every weekday Newsarama is revealing a member of the new lineup of New Avengers, and they've already revealed three:  Dr. Strange, Echo, and Ronin.  Apparently Ronin is not Echo this time, and most people are speculating that it's Daredevil, Cap, or Hawkeye in the suit.  My money is on Hawkeye since they gave the girl from Young Avengers the name Hawkeye, and since it would be harder to explain Cap or Dardevil running around in the Ronin suit in NA, and then have them in their normal costumes in their own books (not that continuity seems to be much of an interest to Marvel.)  Of course this is Bendis so it could also be pet characters like Luke Cage, Spider-woman, Jessica Jones, Maria Hill, or that woman with the earthquake powers.

Regardless of who is in the suit this seems like a pretty shit lineup so far.  Dr. Strange's powers are so ill-defined given that they're magic and thus don't really have understandable limits beyond whatever the writer feels like at the time.  In that respect, he's pretty much the Sentry of this group.  Iron Man, Sentry, and Ms. Marvel are all on the Mighty Avengers so that counts them off the team.  Unless of course Bendis wants to put Iron Man on both teams since he seems incapable of resolving any threat he throws at the "Avengers" without having Iron Man take care of it.

So who else will be on the team?  I don't know, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis throws Brother fucking Voodoo on the roster.  I'll be anxious to see what the next roster after this one is though, 25 issues down the line before this team has even faced one threat as an actual group.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:46 AM

After the fallout from Civil War, Cap may feel compelled to go Ronin.  He's done it before with Nomad.  No real reason for Daredevil to do it, though.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:43:37 PM

After the fallout from Civil War, Cap may feel compelled to go Ronin.  He's done it before with Nomad.  No real reason for Daredevil to do it, though.

Something tells me that wouldn't mesh well with Brubaker's Captain America book.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:24:26 AM

I... what? I mean Echo being in the Avengers anyway was fucking retarded, but at least they put her over in Japan where it might make some sort of Bendisense. But Ronin, who was nothing more than a cover for Echo in the first fucking place? WHAT THE FUCK? Does anyone even read this shit? Do the editors just start masturbating like monkeys the moment Bendis opens his mouth? And Dr. Strange? After he made such a big stink about not getting involved at all, now he's getting involved?

This is the Mighty Avengers book right, which will definitely have Wonder Man? Or is that the other one? Is this the non-Fascist Avengers? God what a shitpile has Bendis made of the Avengers.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:10:09 AM

I... what? I mean Echo being in the Avengers anyway was fucking retarded, but at least they put her over in Japan where it might make some sort of Bendisense. But Ronin, who was nothing more than a cover for Echo in the first fucking place? WHAT THE FUCK? Does anyone even read this shit? Do the editors just start masturbating like monkeys the moment Bendis opens his mouth? And Dr. Strange? After he made such a big stink about not getting involved at all, now he's getting involved?

This is the Mighty Avengers book right, which will definitely have Wonder Man? Or is that the other one? Is this the non-Fascist Avengers? God what a shitpile has Bendis made of the Avengers.

This is the new line-up in New Avengers.  Might Avengers is Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Ares, Black Widow, Wasp, Wonder Man, and The Sentry.  How they justify putting Ares on the team (a guy who went on a rampage shooting at cops in one issue of his mini) I have no idea.  And yes, Dr. Strange made a big stink about not getting involved apparently just so they could have him regret not getting involved and now he's trying to make up for it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:12:56 AM

Ares? WHAT... THE... FUCK? Is Thor just totally out of the Marvel Universe now? Because you know, I'd pay to see him come back and see Thorbots running around with their brains all hanging out and shit. Talk about a goddamn rampage.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:24:50 AM

Ares? WHAT... THE... FUCK? Is Thor just totally out of the Marvel Universe now? Because you know, I'd pay to see him come back and see Thorbots running around with their brains all hanging out and shit. Talk about a goddamn rampage.

There's a Thor ongoing series coming out around Summer that's being written by JMS.  Whether or not it will be the "real" Thor, I have no idea, but I think Marvel has said that it won't be the clone.

I loved the Ares mini.  I'm pretty pissed now that Bendis will get his hands on the character after Oeming just got around to making him interesting, but since the two work on Powers together maybe Oeming can somehow keep him from fucking up the character too bad.  Although I suppose if Oeming could do that, he would have told Bendis not to put Ares on a fucking Avengers team.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:41:53 AM

I don't think anyone at Marvel or anywhere else has the power to tell Bendis not to fuck characters up.

You know, the whole "WHO IS RONIN!!!!1!!!" thing just seems like another fucking gimmick. It's like they have to put this huge mystery in a book or no one will be interested. Guess what? A mystery is only good if it's INTERESTING, and after awhile it just gets old.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:32 AM

You know this thread is 9111... That's 9/11 plus a 1....

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:21:25 PM

You know, the whole "WHO IS RONIN!!!!1!!!" thing just seems like another fucking gimmick. It's like they have to put this huge mystery in a book or no one will be interested. Guess what? A mystery is only good if it's INTERESTING, and after awhile it just gets old.

Not only is it another fucking gimmick, it's the exact same fucking gimmick they used earlier, from the exact same fucking writer, in the exact same fucking book.  Not only that, but Bendis is so enamored of his character Ronin, that I see he's also in the solicits for an upcoming issue of Ultimate Spider-man.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:17:59 PM

Today's reveal is that Wolverine will be staying on the team.  Apparently Marvel is confusing the Avengers with the Secret Defenders (that Defenders team from back in the 90's where Dr. Strange picked a completely random team for each new arc based on who his Tarot cards told him to choose).
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:32:31 PM

Ugh...

This sounds like the setup when I stopped reading the Avengers freshmen year.  Dr. Druid was the leader, with a bunch of guys that either didn't fit or came out of nowhere...  Gilgamesh? 

The Avengers has always worked best as the place to stick big name heros that you aren't sure what do with or have generic "do good" reputations,  padded out with some muscle, token lowbies, and some heavy hitters when the arcs get going.  Ms. Marvel works for that, as do Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wonder Man...

I'm sure they can fit the Punisher into this new lineup.....
Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 08:29:24 PM

I still have Secret Defenders #1.  Wolverine, Darkhawk, Spider-Woman, and Nomad.  Fuck yeah.

Got another one later starring someone I don't remember, Luke Cage and Deadpool. That was weird.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 12:54:56 PM

Today's reveal is that Wolverine will be staying on the team.  Apparently Marvel is confusing the Avengers with the Secret Defenders (that Defenders team from back in the 90's where Dr. Strange picked a completely random team for each new arc based on who his Tarot cards told him to choose).

Somebody please fucking kill Wolverine. This is sounded shittier and shittier.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 08:45:20 PM

And now Spider-woman has been confirmed as being on the team.  They also said that tomorrow another "NEW" member will be revealed, which if it means completely new to the Avengers, would be 6 characters so far on the team that didn't have any sort of involvement with the Avengers before Bendis took over.  Maybe they can throw Terror Inc., Winter Soldier, and Puck on there.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03:26 PM

Betcha it's Black Panther and Storm.  Storm being the new one.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27:16 PM

Betcha it's Black Panther and Storm.  Storm being the new one.

I wouldn't be surprised.  They were also rumored for a while to be part of the new lineup to the Fantasic Four (along with Reed and Thing I think).  The other rumored FF lineup (based on an upcoming cover) is Torch, Thing, Silver Surfer, and Galactus' herald from that Beta Ray Bill mini (I think his name is Stardust).
Llava
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 08:08:08 AM

Maybe there'll be two fantastic fours!

Though having Storm and Black Panther, anti-reg heroes, team up with Reed seems odd.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:54 AM

The way Marvel seems to do everything any more, if it seems odd, stupid, completely out of character, or better yet, all three, that's what they'll actually do.  Watching this Civil War crap from the sidelines (as I'll never actually pay money for it) has been kinda depressing.  I grew up reading Marvel, and now it's just all gone to shit.  Or it always was, and I'm just now noticing it since I've taken an interest in them again.  They've managed to take my favorite character (Wolverine.  Yeah, I know.)  and ruin him for me with all the cheese. 

I've been reading TPBs of recent DC stuff, and liked it alot, so I may just read them for the next few years.  Well, that, along with Invincible. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 06:29:42 PM

Today they actually revealed two characters for the new lineup.  It seems that both Iron Fist and Luke Cage will be on the team, which now has the effect of making this book feel like a cross between the Secret Defenders and Heroes for Hire.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:28 PM

Really enjoying that new Iron Fist book, though.  I've liked the character since the 90's but never read a story that made him interesting.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 08:52:11 AM

I've always loved Iron Fist, but the new book just hasn't caught my fancy yet. Danny Rand is characterized as way too spoiled and reckless for my tastes. Having both he and Luke Cage be Avengers in this lineup is just wrong. The whole lineup is just an ill fit, and much too much like the Defenders. Just fucking call them Defenders and be done with it.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 06:16:36 PM

But that would be so much less confusing.  Better to just have two teams named The Avengers, or else you'd lose plausible deniability whenever someone makes mention of "the Avengers" being somewhere or doing something there's no way they could've done because it conflicts with another story.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 06:34:59 PM

Spider-man is the final addition to the roster, which gives us at least four known anti-reg characters, two neutral, 1 character who hasn't been in the U.S. during Civil War, and one unknown.  The other team seems to be mostly pro-reg characters.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 07:01:16 AM

So we're likely to see a crossover issue/mini-series where they have to work together, things are tense, perhaps a small fight breaks out, but in the end, they learn to set aside their differences and save the day.  Joy. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 08:37:28 AM

Yay, Spider-Man stays on the team. Or moves to this team. Or something.

Though I know it won't be him, because it's too obvious, but who wants to bet Captain America is Ronin? He's the only one who makes any real sense as Ronin, unless of course, Spider-Man becomes Ronin but he's here in the black costume. I bet it's MJ in the Ronin costume.

And joy of joys, Paul Jenkins is bringing back Captain Mar-vel in Civil War: The Return. Do any of these fuckers know how to create their own characters? I mean, characters that don't SUCK that is, like the Sentry.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 09:25:14 AM

Though I know it won't be him, because it's too obvious, but who wants to bet Captain America is Ronin? He's the only one who makes any real sense as Ronin, unless of course, Spider-Man becomes Ronin but he's here in the black costume. I bet it's MJ in the Ronin costume.

I think it's pretty stupid to have just about any established character as Ronin given that I can't think of too many heroes trained in the use of nunchacku or swords.  Elektra maybe, but that's about all I can think of unless Ronin just ends up fighting hand to hand all the time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:11:57 PM by Velorath »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 11:41:40 AM

Taskmaster!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 01:51:53 PM

Wolverine has experience in Japanese weaponry and has been cast in a Ronin role back when I actually read comics.

X-Men Legends 2 greatness #782: renewed interest in comics.

Imo, the Defenders was the catchall misfit group for Marvel. They had some great lineups. The Avengers was always supposed to be the A-Team (not the A-Team with BA, Murdoc, Face!), using Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc. The badasses of Marvel, and a tendency to more mainstream characters.

I was real tired of goddamned Giant-Man/Ant-Man/Wasp/Pym. But the Vision was always one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:54:41 PM by Sky »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 02:35:41 PM

The Wasp is going to be in the other book, and the Vision is in Young Avengers, after a fashion.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 12:56:51 AM

I think it's pretty stupid to have just about any established character as Ronin given that I can't think of too many heroes trained in the use of nunchacku or swords.  Elektra maybe, but that's about all I can think of unless Ronin just ends up fighting hand to hand all the time.

Deadpool?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Llava
Contributor

Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 12:35:48 AM

Deadpool in the Avengers.  That I doubt.  He signed up with the pro-reg side and then managed to completely embarass himself to them in Cable & Deadpool, so he lost any friends on the anti-reg side and the pro-regs don't want to have anything to do with him.

If that's what's drawing the line between the two, he's an outsider.

Plus, it would be insanely out of character for him to join the Avengers.  It... fuck, the more I'm typing the more likely it seems.  Goddammit, they better not put Deadpool in the Avengers.

Here's the #1 reason I don't think it'll happen, though.  I doubt they'd change his name to Ronin, since Deadpool is so recognizable on his own.

Fuck, Bendis, keep away from Deadpool.  You can have Spider-Man, I don't care about him.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 07:33:34 AM

NDA

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 09:31:12 AM

Deadpool?

According to Bendis, Cap put this team together even though he isn't on it.  I'm not sure Cap would put someone like Deadpool on the team (of course I wouldn't have thought he'd select Wolverine or Echo for an Avengers team either).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 11:26:02 AM

NDA

I don't know what the fuck that's from, but I want to skullfuck the bitchass punk who dreamed it up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: The "New" New Avengers  
Jump to: