Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Hybrid Genre MMOG's 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hybrid Genre MMOG's  (Read 11382 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 08:10:00 AM

That is a much more coherent description. If I was so inclined to use Bartle-types, I'd say you want the FPS player to be the "killer" type, the RTS to be the "achiever/killer/socializer" and the RPG to be "socializer/explorer/achiever." I would also imagine you'd want the "killer" type to have a more Guildwars style of character creation. Pick a monster, be given a set of skills to choose from (but only be able to use say 4-8 skills at a time) that can only be changed on spawning, and go at it. You're essentially given a maxed out character in the form of a boss, choose your skills.

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 10:11:16 AM

That is a much more coherent description. If I was so inclined to use Bartle-types, I'd say you want the FPS player to be the "killer" type, the RTS to be the "achiever/killer/socializer" and the RPG to be "socializer/explorer/achiever." I would also imagine you'd want the "killer" type to have a more Guildwars style of character creation. Pick a monster, be given a set of skills to choose from (but only be able to use say 4-8 skills at a time) that can only be changed on spawning, and go at it. You're essentially given a maxed out character in the form of a boss, choose your skills.

That about sums it up! Thanks for the reference to Bartle's types, I hadn't considered using them directly in the descriptions. You've also given me a much better way to organize my article!

Rumors of War
Yak
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 02:03:02 PM

An excellent summary post.  Very close to what I thought you meant when first started posting this thread.  I like the ties to Bartle's archtypes (though I would question how the "Explorer" faction would be satisfied... If such a faction ever really existed).

I could imagine that WoW (or SWG or many such MMORPGS) would seriously benefit by the ability for a "Killer"-type role that would allow you to jump on for 30 minutes into a random mob (set by level) on a random shard (to minimize collusion with friends).   If you're killed by someone within an allowable level range, you lose some of your ranking points and spawn as another similar MOB.   If you kill them, you gain some ladder points (possibly weighted to the level difference).

You get a mini-menu of gear/skills/abilities to choose from (kind of like Battlefield 1942/Star Wars Battlefields) to fit your playstyle.   It's almost free AI and happy killer types, to boot!  Throw in random AI taunts (for when the computer does play), and the Adventures playing the normal game will always wonder if they're going up against a human or not.

Brilliant!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 02:17:10 PM

You should really just look into 10six.... let me take you back to 1999 and my first mmog.

In 10six the world was divided into "camps" each was a certain space w/ randomly generated terrain and 5 hotspots where you generated resources.  When you started you joined one of the 4 major corporations that were battling for control of the planetoid Visitor.  You had one camp, and some basic stuff. 

-Your avatar was fps, you had a hoverboard, you could jump the aiming was fps and you could equip armor guns gear (grenades, toxic bombs ect) on your avatar.  You also had to carry TU which was the only resource that powered everything.  All weapon fire required tu.

-Your army (rts) was made up of "rovers" this were rudamentary ai, they would fire at things that got into range and chase them once they started firing.  That was it.  You could have them patrol but that never worked perfectly.  When in a camp w/ your rovers you could select them tell them where to move, what to attack ect ect.  Each rover was a mass of seperate items combined:  Rover/Armor/Armor mod/Weapon/Weapon mod/Rover mod.  We'll get to items in a second, there was a allot of different combinations lets just say.

-In your camps you built defenses, using primarily turrets, but also mines and walls there were many types of turret that used different weapons (artillery/direct fire/anti avatar/anti rover/flying turrets ect).  One of the most important aspects was being able to setup defenses that would slow down your enemy as well as traps to kill them.

-Items were obtained by selling your TU (the game's resource) to your corporation, each camp could have 5 wells, placed on the hotspots they would mine the TU so you could make money.  Once you had sold the TU you could buy "jitter packs" from your corporation which would give you a random assortment of items to be built.  The items had various classificatoins (rare/limited/common)  You would recieve 1 rare 2 limited and 7 common per pack.  You could go to no-fire UN camps to trade or buy from other players.

-When you killed an avatar, destroyed a turret, or a rover all the jitters carried or that make up the thing you destroyed would be dropped. 

-Everything but your main camp (chosen by you) would be open to attack 24/7, your main could only be attacked when you were online.  Therefore all players were forced to join Multi Defense Networks (MDN) the clans of the game.  Each clan had a max of 20 players and it was paramount that each person be active in fact the more active the better.  Wars were all about discovering the other MDN's weakest hours and exploiting them.  Attacking multiple camps at once making it hard on defenders to respond or doing fake attacks and withdraw wasting the defenders time teleporting to camps only to find them empty while you hit another camp w/ your rover army.

-You could "newbie lock" a player, by destroying all his camps and his main, he would loose all of his stuff unless he realized he was going to get locked and started transporting his stuff to friendly camps (which was rare and hard to do).  Once he lost his last camp he would have to start from scratch, claiming a new camp and rebuilding his empire.

-This was the most hardcore game ever made, no game will ever be this hardcore because it literally required you to play a absolute minimum of four hours a day.  Most players found themselves playing 8+ hours per day during wartime.  The best MDN's were always comprised of skilled players who were very active. 

If you want to try it out it still exists in a ghetto player run form here:   www.projectvisitor.com

Best game I ever played    *sigh*

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Hybrid Genre MMOG's  
Jump to: