Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 06:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 572879 times)
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: July 14, 2008, 03:32:35 PM

So...

Old job: Butcher

New job: Technical Writer/Training Developer

HELL YES BITCHES!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(My first real job!)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: July 14, 2008, 03:52:39 PM

I'm working my way through a PhD in bioinformatics at Imperial College London, doing work on the genomes and evolution of pathogenic bacteria, particularly those that cause pandemic disease.

I love it, and regulalry mock all my ex housemates who are now suffering the day-to-day of being bankers.

If you have any inclination toward academia, prepare to be depressed.  I'm an associate professor and no, I'm not kidding.  To make money as a scientist you have two choices: the private sector or a research one (large phd granting) university.  I've done both and they will suck your soul in different ways.

Isn't writing (sucessful) books and/or hosting a (successful) TV series option 3?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:54:31 PM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: July 14, 2008, 07:04:06 PM

I love it, and regulalry mock all my ex housemates who are now suffering the day-to-day of being bankers.
Don't worry, they will laugh and mock at you when they make their millions and you are still slaving away as an assistant research professor trying to get tenure.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: July 15, 2008, 01:26:49 AM

Don't worry, they will laugh and mock at you when they make their millions and you are still slaving away as an assistant research professor trying to get tenure.

Meh, I'll be amazed if more than 1/4 are still there in 5 years. The rate of burn out is crazy.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: July 15, 2008, 04:52:58 AM

Isn't writing (sucessful) books and/or hosting a (successful) TV series option 3?

Well... it's a chicken and egg thing.  You need a strong research reputation to write or serve as an authority if you want to be successful.  Sure, you could just write a gen chem text with a modest background, but there's almost no money there. 

Being a scientist is about two things: passion for science and intellectual freedom.  If you want to make money, get a PhD in business.  Half the work and half the time for double the paycheck. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:16 AM

I have to say, at the moment the intellectual freedom is trumping money; although that might change when I have dependants. I love what I study too, although I would love to write a book someday.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:22 AM

I have to say, at the moment the intellectual freedom is trumping money; although that might change when I have dependants. I love what I study too, although I would love to write a book someday.

that's what happened to me.  I was all about intellectual freedom and screw industry/$$ until my wife and i had a kid. then the thought was "mmm i like money, who needs a soul these days"  I'm still on fence.  If i do go for money i am going to miss publishing papers.  I've got a descent number under my belt (even a book chapter, yay).  BAH! silly career choices...
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:15 PM

If i do go for money i am going to miss publishing papers.  I've got a descent number under my belt (even a book chapter, yay).  BAH! silly career choices...

You'll get over that, believe me.  Writing papers that noone will give a shit about in 20 years is a tough reality to swallow.  Thousands of papers fill journals every week.  The number having any lasting impact are tiny.  On the other hand, money is pretty empty after a while as well.  My advice is to do what makes you happy to get out of bed in the morning.  When you're 85 you won't look back and think about money or publications.  You'll think about the joy that you missed by pursuing them. 

I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom here.  I'm just saying that you should follow the path that brings you the most happiness and satisfaction.  Ultimately, that's going to be better for your family as they will see you more often and you'll be a lot happier when they do.  Balance is key to a happy life. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: July 15, 2008, 07:51:29 PM

Writing papers that noone will give a shit about in 20 years is a tough reality to swallow.
No it's not.  I wrote papers and got them published, thought I was top shit, then realized that there wasn't a position in the department for me because I was not in the professor club (liked by a tenured professor enough for them to reserve a spot on the PhD program for you - only the dumbest fucks who couldn't even begin to put together a test setup got those).  So I decided to listen to my professor and the department head when they told me "Screw staying in school, go to California and make money.  You can always retire somewhere else with the money and then decide to do what you really want."  I'm still very proud of my thesis work and the multiple papers that I worked on, but no one gives a shit and I'm all right with that.  It sure as hell didn't pay as good as sitting at a desk pushing paper around and attending meetings where suppliers come up with every excuse to not do their job.  Sometimes I even get to do real research under the table and satisfy that urge.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:58 AM

When you're 85 you won't look back and think about money or publications.  You'll think about the joy that you missed by pursuing them. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 though. I'm just trying to do whatever gives me satisfaction now, and makes me happy. Working 12-14hr days behind a desk won't do that for me.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: July 16, 2008, 02:26:38 PM

I'm still very proud of my thesis work and the multiple papers that I worked on, but no one gives a shit and I'm all right with that. 

Yep. Took me a little bit to realize that this is the case. At least it helped my resume though.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: July 16, 2008, 05:58:01 PM

Quitting grad school was probably the second best thing I have ever done for my sanity.  I'm still happy with the decision a decade later.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01:43 AM

I'm just saying that you should follow the path that brings you the most happiness and satisfaction.

I had an epiphany last night and am now actually considering going back to school...  I've got me a PhD in Pharmacology which i've used to study neuro (specifically development, addiction, and pharm) and cancer.  I always said/say i wanted to help people. then i realized that research in its current form usually doesn't help anyone.  In that, a majority of research that is published rarely impacts humanity or leads to changes in current practice.  So i'm not helping anyone with the work i do.  However, if i could treat people (which i can't do with a PhD) i could do research that would directly help people b/c it was done in people.  For this i would need to go back to school for an MD, most likely focusing on psychiatry, which will allow me to do human research to try and help people with addiction and/or obesity.  Combining therapy and medication for best results.

Quitting grad school was probably the second best thing I have ever done for my sanity

Grad school was hell.  Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  by the time i knew i could opt out with a masters (to teach with) it was so far along that i thought "well, shit.  might as well get the big boy degree"

Eh, at least i have a good wife that would most likely support whatever i choose to do...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #888 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:39 AM

It sounds like a great plan.  And once you're finished, could you please pump me full of drugs so I'm skinny and high as a kite? 

Thank you in advance!   awesome, for real

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #889 on: July 17, 2008, 07:20:35 AM

Just start making meth in your tub, Sig. What could go wrong?
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: July 17, 2008, 07:34:03 AM

hehe.  if you want to avoid the um... excitement of making meth (you know poison, boom, stink, etc)  you could try the following for high/skinny:

ephedrin
pseudoephedrin
pretty much any OTC diet pill
cocaine >> crack
water (lots and lots, just don't OD...)
and the easiest to get:

whole, ground nutmeg (2-4 whole nuts ground and crushed will make you all kinds of high for like 8-14 hours and you won't want to eat anything, its a stimulant)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: July 17, 2008, 10:34:14 AM

[However, if i could treat people (which i can't do with a PhD) i could do research that would directly help people b/c it was done in people.  For this i would need to go back to school for an MD, most likely focusing on psychiatry, which will allow me to do human research to try and help people with addiction and/or obesity.  Combining therapy and medication for best results.

That's exactly what I did.  Got my PhD, did a couple of postdocs, and went to med school.  My advice: work in medicine for a year before you go to med school.  When you get to see first hand just how much of a barrier the medical system in america is to the actual treatment of quality healthcare, you may want to reconsider.  If you don't reconsider, then you'll know that it's what you really want to do.  Either way is a win.  I cannot overemphasize this point though.  Get some direct medical experience before you consider a career in medicine.  Do a postdoc in a psych ward if possible.  The clinical experience is invaluable.

I personally couldn't take all the stupidity I found in medicine.  Placating administrators and finding creative ways to bypass insurance protocols took up far more of my time than actually giving care.  Ok, that and paperwork.  So what did I do after all that?  Went back to academia to take a job where I only utilize my phd.  The money sucks, but the personal freedom is worth it. 

-  Mark Twain
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:14 AM

yeah.  i'm more interested in the psychiatry part of the MD then anything else.  I currently work in a very well known children's hospital so i do have some contact with the medical side of things.  I'm basically doing a blend of benchtop research and clinical (other people deal with patients and get the blood samples).  I think i need to look into doing some shadowing of the MDs here.  I also found a couple postdoc positions in psychiatry departments in St Louis that are doing addiction research, which seems like a nice way for me to get some actual experience around patients before i attempt to get into med school.  Its funny but the MCAT scares me more then the med school classes (i've taken a few) or the boards (i had to take a mini version for those classes. 

I wish i could just go to the med school and say "i got a PhD bitches, you know i'm good for it.  lemme in...oh yeah, pay for it too!" awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: July 17, 2008, 12:53:59 PM

Its funny but the MCAT scares me more then the med school classes (i've taken a few) or the boards (i had to take a mini version for those classes. 

I wish i could just go to the med school and say "i got a PhD bitches, you know i'm good for it.  lemme in...oh yeah, pay for it too!" awesome, for real

Two comments:

1) The MCAT is very doable if you manage your time well.  Honestly, the MCAT is mostly an exercise in reading comprehension.  I browsed a Princeton Review book for a couple of days and scored 11 - 15 on every area.  I think you'll do fine.  Granted, my background was in chemistry so I didn't have to spend much time on o-chem. 

2) PhD skills and MD skills are VERY different.  Getting a PhD is very much about thought, creativity, and innovation.  MD is none of that.  Getting an MD was all about knowing in the first two years and the understanding came in the last two years after step I of the USMLE.  If you have strong memorization skills, the first two years will be fine.  The last two are when you get to do the application... ok... some application since most attendings will treat you as an idiot or a gopher. 

I think rotating through a psych ward would do you well.  Child psyche can be terribly depressing, but also very rewarding/interesting at the same time.  In any event, the practical side of medicine will quickly be a turn-on or turn-off to you.  If it's a turn-on, I say go for it.

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: July 18, 2008, 07:56:55 AM

1) The MCAT is very doable if you manage your time well.  Honestly, the MCAT is mostly an exercise in reading comprehension.  I browsed a Princeton Review book for a couple of days and scored 11 - 15 on every area.  I think you'll do fine.  Granted, my background was in chemistry so I didn't have to spend much time on o-chem. 
He said his PhD was in Pharmacology.  I think he'll be okay with organic. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:57 AM

He said his PhD was in Pharmacology.  I think he'll be okay with organic. Grin

Depending on the topic of his thesis, that may be the case.  You'd be very surprised how little chemistry most pharmacologists remember. 

In any event, I'm sure he'll be able to pick it up quickly with a good MCAT study guide.  I enjoyed taking the MCAT.  I thought it was fun. 

-  Mark Twain
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: July 18, 2008, 10:16:24 AM

i'm more worried about the physics part.  i've never had a physics class.  in undergrad i took 1 ochem and 1 bio class (philosphy and psychology majors for the win!), but i did have to do a crazy-hard-intense-hellish biochem class in grad school.  I usually do very well on standardized tests (ACT, GRE, etc) and i rocked the classes in grad school, so i'm sure i'd do ok.   either way i'll never know until i take the test.  I might schedule a test date in a couple months just to see how i do. 

Honestly, the part about getting the MD that is giving me the most pause is figuring out how to pay for it.  I'll have to shop around for some good money trees (scholarships, grants, etc).  With wife and kid(s) and $0 income from me the idea of paying 40-60K in tuition fees is not pleasant.

Hopefully my wife will continue being my sugar momma if we ever move. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:37 AM

Honestly, the part about getting the MD that is giving me the most pause is figuring out how to pay for it.  I'll have to shop around for some good money trees (scholarships, grants, etc).  With wife and kid(s) and $0 income from me the idea of paying 40-60K in tuition fees is not pleasant.

Don't.  Seriously, what is a better investment than yourself.  If you're really worried, there are many venues to cover costs during and after school.

1) Many med schools offer summer research fellowships.  With your background, you'll have no problem landing one.

2) After your MD there are many NIH programs for reimbursement if you decide to work or do research in certain areas.

3) You'll be making enough money after you residency to make the 150-200k debt trivial. 

Last bit of advice: Where you get your MD matters.  Get into the absolute best program that you can.  If you have your heart set on a state school, move there a year in advance and postdoc while getting state residency.  The acceptance rate for in-state residents can be MUCH higher at many schools (i.e. U Iowa where I went accepted 150 in state and 25 out of state.  Applicant pools were about 400-500 in state vs 3000 out state. So a 1 in 3 chance versus a 1-2% chance)

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #898 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:23 AM

I wish I had all the money the last three people who posted spent on their edumacation.  I'd buy a summer home in Monaco.  And a yacht.  And three tiny white dogs and a mini trampoline.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:22 PM

I wish I had all the money the last three people who posted spent on their edumacation.  I'd buy a summer home in Monaco.  And a yacht.  And three tiny white dogs and a mini trampoline.

I'm still paying off 100k in student loans.  Want that too?

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #900 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:53 PM

No, just the doggies and the trampoline will do.   ACK!  Spoil sport.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:27 AM

I wish I had all the money the last three people who posted spent on their edumacation.  I'd buy a summer home in Monaco.  And a yacht.  And three tiny white dogs and a mini trampoline

well so far i've spent $0 on education.  Gotta love the fact that most graduate schools (science only  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) cover the cost of school AND pay you a stipend. 
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:53 PM

Figured I'd drop my $.02.

Technically, I'm a Data Analyst, but I spend more time building bullshit web apps for internal deployment than anything else.  Kinda crash-landed into the position and all of the other stuff is shit I picked up and started doing to make my job easier ('Why do work when you can make the server do it for you?' kinda thing).  It's not great, but it pays for my gaming addiction and sundry addictions, and I can always say 'at least I'm not in Atlanta'.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: August 23, 2008, 08:24:14 AM

25, Sweden, working as senior programmer at a small company mainly developing internal administrative systems.

My job is to figure out how to solve the trickier bits and the overall technical design, explain them to one of the others and then scrutinise every procedure they write until its looking sharp. It's long hours (being a small company) and ungrateful clients, but most of the time I love it. smiley

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #904 on: August 23, 2008, 12:23:00 PM

I just got a new gig as a golf cart salesman, the company is great, my training consisted of "there they are, get to it".

It beats the hell out of trying to teach shit to kids though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #905 on: August 23, 2008, 12:26:04 PM

I am sure you are better suited to golf carts than children. 

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #906 on: August 23, 2008, 05:12:52 PM

I'm 8 months away from being able to start working a "real" job and of course I'm now having doubts about if it's what I want to do. I'm beginning to wonder if the extra 2 years to transfer to a university for my B-Comm is worth it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #907 on: August 23, 2008, 05:53:11 PM

It's not too late to start beefing up for cabana boy work.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #908 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:11 PM

If I didn't hurt my back at work, I would. Working out is rad... or something. I'm too drunk for this right now.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: August 25, 2008, 07:27:18 PM

So I'm starting a PhD programme in Manchester in about a month. Specifically in Philosophy so I feel I am now entitled to bitch about the amount of funding available for science degrees. I am presently looking at getting free accomodation by taking a resident tutor position, got a small funding award (slight reduction in tuition fees) and help from the parents. I figure with a part time job thrown in I won't be in too much debt (not counting what I've already got, thank God I'm not in the US). Also hopefully getting more funding next year (fingers crossed).

I also look forward to continuing to be asked what job I intend to get with the degree.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: