Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2024, 07:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 572680 times)
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #840 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12:33 AM

Because we are a bunch of heartless bastards and missed it.

Happy 37th birthday :)

Many thanks! =)

"Beautiful, sunny, Syracuse"?

Did I fail on the sarcasm? Should've gone with green text...

It's the day after your birthday.
Be a bit more festive.

Go with pink!

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: May 20, 2008, 11:04:07 AM

It's the day after your birthday.
Be a bit more festive.

Go with pink!

At 37? Shouldn't I go with something like black as I'm just that much closer to old age and death? Anyone hear a large bell being slowly and repeatedly rung or is it just me?

Like that?   awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:21 AM

You 37 year old kids need to quit complaining about being old, damnit!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: May 20, 2008, 11:47:36 AM

Yeah some people here are MUCH older than 37.

Your bell toll isn't nearly what a lot of other people's are. So pink stands. Be pastel. Embrace it.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: May 20, 2008, 12:56:29 PM

To be honest, I really don't think I'm old. I just thought it would be funny to post something depressing in pink. And it was to me. Which is all that matters since I'm the only person in the universe and the rest of you are all part of my vast imagination. Solipsism ftw!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: May 20, 2008, 01:13:52 PM

Aww you got a wit like mine. We are only funny to us. Yay! Cheers.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #846 on: May 22, 2008, 01:34:11 PM

I like Syracuse.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #847 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49:24 PM

Syracuse, all the crime of a metropolis with only a fraction of the culture! I remember when artists actually stopped there on tour.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:53 PM

Fuck.

Just had my annual review at work,  and somehow my chargeable hours were up 130 hours over last year. Fuckity fuck fuck.  I'm so going to get destroyed during next years reviews when my chargeable hours drop/stagnate because I can't keep that pace.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #849 on: May 27, 2008, 03:07:20 PM

Have some sort of mental breakdown then when your billable hours drop they'll still talk about how well you are coping. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:25 AM

Have some sort of mental breakdown then when your billable hours drop they'll still talk about how well you are coping. 

All work and no play make Johny Cee a dull boy.
All work and no play make Johny Cee a dull boy.
All work.....
sanctuary
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17:43 AM

Gentlemen. I suppose it's never too late to introduce myself. I'm 36, live in Perth, Western Australia.

A Lab Technician for BHP Billiton, I fly to the mine (Ravensthorpe Nickel) work for a week, 12 hour days (or nights) and then fly home for a weeks break. Called FIFO in industry jargon (Fly In, Fly Out). Good job and good money, I enjoy it.

Found this forum after googling EVE online last year during the CCP corruption scandal. This was after a 2 year hiatus of the game. Reading Endie's updates on the War thread, piqued my interest and resubbed.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: May 31, 2008, 04:49:20 AM

A Lab Technician for BHP Billiton, I fly to the mine (Ravensthorpe Nickel) work for a week, 12 hour days (or nights) and then fly home for a weeks break. Called FIFO in industry jargon (Fly In, Fly Out). Good job and good money, I enjoy it.

Coincidentally, not only is BHP a client of ours, but I was looking at the western Aussie basin on Thursday.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
sanctuary
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: May 31, 2008, 04:10:00 PM

Ravensthorpe is a tiny little town (or was rather), now that BHP has a large mine and the corresponding infrastructure for the mine, the town has changed. I would say the town has a love/hate relationship to BHP. We have changed the region forever but at the same time provided much needed money and upgraded facilities.

We are on the southern coast of WA, it's windy and cold. Cold is obviously relative, around 5 - 15 degrees C. Not sure whats that in F. So not really that cold at all  smiley

What work do you do for BHP Endie?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: June 01, 2008, 04:29:34 AM

I'm working on the theory that it involves checking that mining stations to be sure they have enough consumables for the near future...  And organizing the occasional raiding party.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:06 AM

We're Wood Mackenzie: basically energy sector consultancy, so we're not that interested in Ravensthorpe, but your uranium, coal etc holdings are different matters.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #856 on: June 08, 2008, 11:53:28 AM

a "business plan" (in quotes, because I only know what I'd serve and charge and a general idea of where, but beyond that... not real sure on how to do a real business plan).

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/plan/writeabusinessplan/index.html

By the way, when looking for that I first tried sba.org - DO NOT go to that site. It doesn't say that it's not the US Small Business Administration, but it does have lots of sponsored links for people who will write you a (probably useless) business plan for $300+.  Fucking wankers.

Edited to update my contribution to this thread, which is vintage 2005 - I signed on the with the company I was consulting for and am now an IT team lead at an aviation company, still in Columbus OH USA Northern Hemisphere, Earth.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:59:18 AM by Jayce »

Witty banter not included.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: June 09, 2008, 07:36:17 AM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:54 PM

I have an idea for a coffee stand or truck. I know, it's silly, but I have what I think to be a fairly catchy name and slogan along with the beginnings of a "business plan" (in quotes, because I only know what I'd serve and charge and a general idea of where, but beyond that... not real sure on how to do a real business plan). Would probably be epic fail but I keep thinking about it. Small time stuff, not a competitor with Starbuck's or whatever. I don't think it would make me a millionaire but I think I'd really enjoy it.

Step 1: Set up near Syracuse University.
Step 2: Profit!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:05 AM

28 (almost 29 soon)

Scientist studying cancer medicine.  Living in Memphis, TN at the moment.  Hoping to move to St Louis in the next couple years.  Blah Blah.  not sure what else to say.  I likes me some video games, both console (PS3) and computer (pretty much every mmorpg since EQ).  I like long walks on the beach and moonlight in the fall. 
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:41 AM

What about pina coladas and getting lost in the rain?
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: June 12, 2008, 05:44:10 AM

Getting lost in the rain is nice, especially if your wearing a $$$ tux and have dancing shoes on.  However, that nasty pineapply drink can go to hell.
Adam Tiler
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: June 22, 2008, 05:16:07 PM

From this page:
Adam Tiler graduated from the University of Missouri at Rolla in 1998 with a degree in Mining Engineering (concentration Explosives), and has worked since that time at demolition and blasting sites across the United States. As of 2007, he is an (the) O&M Launch Ordnance Supervisor at Raytheon Company. He is also a trained voice actor for audio book recordings, and was briefly employed in that area in 1999.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #863 on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:56 PM

What a wonderful choice of career.  I can think of almost nothing more fun than blowing stuff up. 

Oh, and about Pina Coladas - you don't have to put in the pineapple or coconut, just the rum and crushed ice sounds nice.  Personally, if I were to ever take up alcohol again, I would just live on vodka.  And reefer.  Maybe fried chicken on Sundays.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: July 03, 2008, 05:20:05 AM

aaahhhh Ralla...where the men are men and the sheep are scared.

And as to Vodka.  I prefer me some Jameson and ganja.   Just have to get better about having them without the cancer sticks.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: July 04, 2008, 12:47:37 PM

28 (almost 29 soon)

Scientist studying cancer medicine.  Living in Memphis, TN at the moment.  Hoping to move to St Louis in the next couple years.  Blah Blah.  not sure what else to say.  I likes me some video games, both console (PS3) and computer (pretty much every mmorpg since EQ).  I like long walks on the beach and moonlight in the fall. 

You're me 15 years ago!

It's an interesting and challenging career.  I wish you all the best.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Adam Tiler
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: July 04, 2008, 02:06:19 PM

aaahhhh Ralla...where the men are men and the sheep are scared.

Gee, I haven't heard that one before.  Ohhhhh, I see.

And yes, blowing shit up is a great career.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: July 07, 2008, 08:27:36 AM

You're me 15 years ago!

Well i sure hope your making a decent amount of money...Would be rather depressing to thing i'll still be making similar amount in 15 years...

regardless, hopefully i'm better looking in 15 years!    wink

I still struggle with the old debate of industry vs academia

Industry    += $$$$$$$, not dependent on grants    -= must sell soul, lack of publishing hurts carrer change possibilites
Academia  += publishing, teaching, keep my sould     -= grants, grants, grants, politics...
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #868 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:44 AM

imo, quit.

Open a pc bang that serves beer.

Profit.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:07 AM

Well i sure hope your making a decent amount of money...Would be rather depressing to thing i'll still be making similar amount in 15 years...

If you have any inclination toward academia, prepare to be depressed.  I'm an associate professor and no, I'm not kidding.  To make money as a scientist you have two choices: the private sector or a research one (large phd granting) university.  I've done both and they will suck your soul in different ways.

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #870 on: July 07, 2008, 11:51:31 AM

imo, quit.

Profit.

I don't think that would work in the US, though, because, you know, men, beer, MMOs, naked, doritos, right?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: July 08, 2008, 10:54:06 AM

If you have any inclination toward academia, prepare to be depressed.  I'm an associate professor and no, I'm not kidding.  To make money as a scientist you have two choices: the private sector or a research one (large phd granting) university.  I've done both and they will suck your soul in different ways.
And/or appointments in as many different departments as possible.  My boss makes a ton between all his appointments, however he has little time for anything fun, and has to do a lot of hand-holding to keep the various cogs happy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #872 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:42 AM

imo, quit.

Profit.

I don't think that would work in the US, though, because, you know, men, beer, MMOs, naked, doritos, right?
I have no idea what you just said.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: July 08, 2008, 01:11:15 PM

Well i'm finding that i  Heart the experiment design, data analysis, interpretation part of science, but the actual running experiments part feels like manual labor.  I need an army of peons and i think the fastest way to get to that phase is industry (biotech, not big pharma).  Plus with the economics and politics being what they are (from about 10 years ago to the foreseeable future) i think being dependent on grants for my job is suicide (i.e. research university).  I've worked with way too many big name scientist who can't get funding lately...

I just want to design cool experiments so that people can get  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #874 on: July 12, 2008, 08:00:57 PM

From this page:
Adam Tiler graduated from the University of Missouri at Rolla in 1998 with a degree in Mining Engineering (concentration Explosives), and has worked since that time at demolition and blasting sites across the United States. As of 2007, he is an (the) O&M Launch Ordnance Supervisor at Raytheon Company. He is also a trained voice actor for audio book recordings, and was briefly employed in that area in 1999.

That combination should make you the announcer for "10, 9, 8, 7, 6 ..."
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: