Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:33:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  (Read 16204 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 12:14:17 PM

Having a bunch of letters after your name doesn't mean that you're smart btw.  It means that you have a high tolerance for bullshit. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 04:16:10 PM

It's typed. My hand couldn't possibly take that must writing.

Ah. That's a whole lot more stuff then. I was thinking, "yeah, I wrote 15 pages in 2 hours for my exam, 51 pages over two days isn't tooo bad", but 51 typed pages is much more.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 07:19:11 PM

Having a bunch of letters after your name doesn't mean that you're smart btw.  It means that you have a high tolerance for bullshit. 

Ding.

Ah. That's a whole lot more stuff then. I was thinking, "yeah, I wrote 15 pages in 2 hours for my exam, 51 pages over two days isn't tooo bad", but 51 typed pages is much more.

Heh, I wrote a 27 page paper in 16 straight hours once.

It was not fun. I cannot imagine doing that for 2 days straight.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 07:35:35 PM

I did 25 pages in 4 hours my senior year of college. And it wasn't due the next day!

I can type and think fast.

It was about Ring and Ringu, how Americans scare differently than those little people out east. Lots of psych reference and stuff. It wasn't a good paper and was basically a list of references and differences in the movies that pointed out certain things that affect the psyche.

I probably could have made a book out of it. In fact, my professor told me to. I didn't.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 11:21:04 AM

I had to do the research on the fly as well. I didn't like the paper at all, but it got me an A- for my senior seminar class.

I'll take it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 12:27:17 PM

Awesome!  Congrads on putting up with the b.s. to get 'er done!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 04:19:13 PM

For the large part, I think prelims are a worthless exercise that takes valuable research time away from the students and provides little to prepare graduate students for the real world.
Never have truer words been spoken.  I was never challenged so much to come up with BS than when I did my masters work compared to the real world.  The real world doesn't care about why the electrons are not lining up in synch 100% of the time, they care whether the idea is markettable and can make them money.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #42 on: November 18, 2007, 02:05:54 AM

Amusing anecdote time:

Last month I had to do a 1-page handwritten paper on "something related to the course material."  Hooray, quality edumacation!  I don't even want to talk about how stupid most people's papers were.  The course, btw, was about electronics as pertaining to audio gear.  We had soldering lab, and I'll carry the scars with me for the rest of my life.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #43 on: November 18, 2007, 03:11:02 AM

Shit, when my students finally hit college a 1 page paper on "somthing related to the course material" will go over like you just asked them to remove a testicle with a rusty nail.

I had them do a 5 minute warmup writing - on ANY subject they chose, half a page, they could even write the word "think" for half a page and get a 100, 60% of them didn't pull it off.  Altho, one of the students did put up an amusing piece on how if godzilla had been good, instead of bad, we could send him to Iraq and bring the troops home, I wish I had a  awesome, for real sticker to put on that paper.

Another student was instructed by his teacher to write a one page essay on how much he would be worth if he was a slave, $250 - before he escaped, because he was 'strong like a field lion', but after the dogs caught him he got 'wiped' for being bad, only $150.  I thought it was fucking hilarious when I said for $150 I've got some work around the house that needs done, others not so much.

Ahh, the joys of trying to shape the impressionable minds of urban youths.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #44 on: November 18, 2007, 05:14:50 PM

WTG.  A very hard road to follow.  Le grats.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 01:12:50 PM

Well, found out today that I passed both tests. Time to get drunk...again.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 01:13:29 PM

Dude, awesome. Grats ding.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:08 PM

Kick ass man, mad props.

Also, my job is writing 7 papers a biweek.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 02:42:00 PM

GRATS2USIR

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 25, 2007, 09:55:58 AM

Yay!  Seriously, congrats!

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 03:21:35 PM

Just passed my oral defense of the comprehensive exam this afternoon. Nothing like getting grilled by five PhDs with decades of experience to make you feel like a babbling chimp.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:18 PM

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY grats

what's left?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:57 PM

Just passed my oral defense of the comprehensive exam this afternoon. Nothing like getting grilled by five PhDs with decades of experience to make you feel like a babbling chimp.

Congratulations!  

As someone that gets to do the grilling, I can certainly appreciate how great you must feel to be done with another hoop.  

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 03:36:09 PM

Congratz!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 03:40:32 PM

babbling chimp.

They made you President? I didn't even know you were in the Order of Succession.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 03:45:44 PM

babbling chimp.

They made you President? I didn't even know you were in the Order of Succession.

Just follow the "evolution of man" chart:  Caveman comes after monkey.

Congrats man!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 03:57:22 PM

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY grats

what's left?

Dissertation proposal. Dissertation proposal defense. Dissertation. Dissertation defense.

In other words, about 2 more years if I'm lucky.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:08 PM

bleh

good job anyway!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 13, 2007, 06:00:43 PM

Crazy PhD system. Here in the UK you start it off with the dissertation proposal, see if anyone will take you and then spend 3 years (full time) researching and hand the thing in to be examined.

I've got some crappy paper to write over christmas about language evolution, not nearly on the same level of intensity though. Grats on passing what sounds like academic hazing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 06:34:43 PM

I bet I could have had a PhD if I had bothered to finish high school!

Anyway, congrats brainy guy!  You pwnt me with your edumacation!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 06:49:50 PM

Crazy PhD system. Here in the UK you start it off with the dissertation proposal, see if anyone will take you and then spend 3 years (full time) researching and hand the thing in to be examined.

I've got some crappy paper to write over christmas about language evolution, not nearly on the same level of intensity though. Grats on passing what sounds like academic hazing.

Ya. I've talked to grad students from Europe and they don't even have to go to classes. They just find a prof that will support them and then hand in the thing after disappearing for several years.  Plus its free.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  
Jump to: