Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:06:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  (Read 16199 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: November 09, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

I am now finished with my written comprehensive exams. Total of 17 hours and 51 pages between the two sessions. I have a good feeling that I at least squeaked by with a pass and don't even have to set up my oral defense for another month.  This was more brutal than the god damned bar exam.

So I can now play the 360 that I bought a month ago (because I got a screaming deal) that has been sitting on my shelf taunting me the entire time.

Yippee!  Rock Out  Woot! Yahoo! Thumbs up!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:14:51 PM

Dude, grats.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:28:02 PM

Thanks. I got Bioshock and the Orange Box with my deal. I also want to try to track down GHIII somewhere tomorrow. So as a gubmint employee now I have a nice 3 day weekend and an embarrassment of gaming goodness.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:33:14 PM

Congratulations! After the hell that was bar studying, I can't imagine how much worse this next level was.  Spend the weekend in the true American way- complete sloth.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:54 PM

That's the plan. Mucho alcoholo, 360 and a Utes home game.

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:41:53 PM

Wow!  Congrats!  Have boobies! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:59:31 PM

Outstanding sir.  Congratulations and welcome to the "Secret Handshake" club.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:16:49 PM

Congrats Abogadro!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:10:52 PM

Outstanding sir.  Congratulations and welcome to the "Secret Handshake" club.

Thanks.

Not quite there yet though. I'm pert near ABD but still have a ways to go to get the full Piled High and Deeper.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:14:27 PM

Not quite there yet though. I'm pert near ABD but still have a ways to go to get the full Piled High and Deeper.

The correct term is "Post hole Digger". 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:45 PM

Heh. Awesome.

-H.L. Mencken
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:50:48 AM

Congratulations.

A winner is you!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 05:44:30 AM

So what can you do now?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 07:10:58 AM

So what can you do now?

Two things: Work a job for half the pay of a master's degree and wear really expensive sandals with socks on. 

-  Mark Twain
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 07:28:21 AM

Well done sir!

In celebration,  I would personally like to see an "Unfrozed Caveman PHD" grief title.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:16 AM

Congratz man :)

Rumors of War
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 08:42:52 AM

There are so many smart people around here.  It's very annoying.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 06:50:26 AM

It's better to be lucky than good.

awesome, for real

Also congratulations on the gubmint job.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 08:35:41 AM

Grats.

Get Orange Box for PC and play TF2 with us.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:59 AM

Congorats. Go play the fuck out of something. awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 09:44:29 AM

Congorats.

Your racism or spelling is frightening.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:30 AM

You must never have played EQ.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 09:50:22 AM

I did and I'm afraid to consider where you are going with that.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 07:44:01 PM

Awesomesauce.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 07:59:43 PM

Care to explain for those of us who don't know, what your exam was actually for? So I can render appropriate congratulations, of course.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 08:04:27 PM

I did and I'm afraid to consider where you are going with that.

Congorats was a pretty common way that people screwed around with the usual ding gratz pat on the back crap.

That your mind jumped to racism was pretty interesting though.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 08:10:54 PM

Care to explain for those of us who don't know, what your exam was actually for? So I can render appropriate congratulations, of course.

It's an intermediary but rather painful step towards getting a Ph.D. After all your coursework you have to take comprehensive written exams that test your knowledge of the field. It varies by program, but I had to take one in my major area and one in my minor. They are all-day written exams. I answered a total of 6 questions over the course of two days and 51 pages.  It is a pain to both read all of the stuff, get familiar with it and keep it in your memory and also a rather grueling exercise in just taking the tests. Assuming I passed I will have an oral defense of my answers before my advisory committee and then move onto the dissertation phase.  Once you pass comps you are known as ABD (all but dissertation) and can often teach your own courses while you work on the dissertation (although I likely won't be doing that because of my current full time gig).

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 08:38:22 PM

It's an intermediary but rather painful step towards getting a Ph.D. After all your coursework you have to take comprehensive written exams that test your knowledge of the field. It varies by program, but I had to take one in my major area and one in my minor. They are all-day written exams. I answered a total of 6 questions over the course of two days and 51 pages.  It is a pain to both read all of the stuff, get familiar with it and keep it in your memory and also a rather grueling exercise in just taking the tests. Assuming I passed I will have an oral defense of my answers before my advisory committee and then move onto the dissertation phase.  Once you pass comps you are known as ABD (all but dissertation) and can often teach your own courses while you work on the dissertation (although I likely won't be doing that because of my current full time gig).

Congratulations, sounds like quite the task. I wonder if they make allowances for people who've spent their whole lives writing on computers and not by hand.

What is your field if you don't mind sharing?
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 08:44:33 PM

Writing 51 pages by hand insures that no one will read it.

Seriously. Who the fuck would make someone do that.

It's sick.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 09:02:04 PM

That's not TOO bad if those 51 pages are old-school Blue Books. That probably translates to 20 real pages, max.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 10:33:11 PM

It's typed. My hand couldn't possibly take that must writing.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 10:34:27 PM

So, 51 pages typed. More liek 2 handwritten college-rule single-spaced pages, amirite?

Still, congrats, it sounds like literary water boarding.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 07:32:46 AM

Congratulations, Abagadro, and good luck on the defense.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 09:19:45 AM

I've been on a number of PhD committees and have written questions for a number of prelims.  My take on the whole thing is that it's largely used a) to weed out students that don't really want to be there and b) to remind students that while they have learned a lot, that they will still study for the rest of their lives only to end up still feeling stupid.  Most of these prelims are just an exercise in hazing (I had it done to me, now I'm going to do it to you) without much thought going into the reasoning nor assessing the outcome.  For the large part, I think prelims are a worthless exercise that takes valuable research time away from the students and provides little to prepare graduate students for the real world. 

I'm glad you made it through Ab and I hope that you're on the homestretch. 

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 12:12:32 PM

Okay, enough of all this edumakation talk-such.  You know, I have a PhD, too!  So does Schild! 

Wait.  What?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  
Jump to: