Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server  (Read 8236 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: June 22, 2005, 10:10:41 AM

209.59.137.153:16567

Only one map in rotation at the moment.

Going to EB to pick up my preorder now.

schild is probably crying somewhere right now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:15:19 AM

Warn me if the installation fucks your machine in the ass via Safedisc or some other nefarious malware.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 12:23:18 PM

I'll be sure to join when I return from CompUSA with the proper version(read:DVD-Rom).  I don't anticipate schild crying much until Willy Wonka makes it to theatres and he realizes they tried way too fucking hard.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 06:17:52 PM

Retail Linux server crashes as often as the demo.

Amused I am not.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 07:11:30 PM

I got the map rotation set up for 16 player maps like Nix suggested.

I'm lonely.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 07:39:25 PM

Was on the f13 server and finally someone else joined. At that moment my client quickly and gracefully dropped back to the desktop.

I think they need a patch. Soon.

I've seen way too much of my desktop when playing this game.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 07:44:32 PM

Was on the f13 server and finally someone else joined. At that moment my client quickly and gracefully dropped back to the desktop.

I think they need a patch. Soon.

I've seen way too much of my desktop when playing this game.

I was crashing to desktop the same time you were.

Not good.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 08:08:27 PM

Ok, I foolishly updated the PunkBuster server software and have reverted back to what the retail server came packaged with. Perhaps that'll clear up the crashes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 08:17:40 PM

You're working too hard on this game.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 08:18:25 PM

You're working too hard on this game.

I want to play it. I paid for it. I'm trying to justify my purchase.

I...

am ashamed.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 08:23:50 PM

I warned you when I saw the packaging when we opened this morning.

It didn't even have a box. Fuck that, it didn't even have a slipcover like the original UT2k4 release (not the shitty budget release). It looked like it was plastiwrapped by a member of the shortbus symposium and the cover art was photochopped by a team of barely trained apes.

You don't get what you pay for. You get what EA wants to give you.

Which is dick. In the eye.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 08:36:34 PM

After going through the account registration process, I'm pretty sure that having to endure the end of days would be worth it if it meant ign and gamespy would also suffer the armageddon.  After a billion tries to create an account that does not exist according to their stupid servers, I managed to machete my way through the horrifucking awful interface and make it to your server.

And I am all alone.

Duplicity needs some enemies, please join kthxbye.

Is VoIP currently disabled on the server?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 08:45:30 PM by ahoythematey »
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 06:47:09 AM

Ok, I foolishly updated the PunkBuster server software and have reverted back to what the retail server came packaged with. Perhaps that'll clear up the crashes.

Yea. I noticed some PunkBuster warning about a version mis-match. That might have been the problem. PB was kicking me. But why would it kick me to the damm desktop?

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 06:48:41 AM

Well, it seems PunkBuster is not updating itself either on the client or the server like it's supposed to. PunkBuster released an update yesterday and since the auto-update wasn't working, I did a manual. Silly me.

As for crashing to desktop... shitty programming.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 09:49:45 AM

I warned you when I saw the packaging when we opened this morning.

It didn't even have a box. Fuck that, it didn't even have a slipcover like the original UT2k4 release (not the shitty budget release). It looked like it was plastiwrapped by a member of the shortbus symposium and the cover art was photochopped by a team of barely trained apes.

You don't get what you pay for. You get what EA wants to give you.

Which is dick. In the eye.
Wow, sand in your pussy much? I think we get the point, this is where you stop reading the battlefield forum, lest you drive away the last couple people interested in the game. Unless that was your point. I mean, I know it's your site and all, but holy shit man.

It's a game. Not having a box is a /good thing/. Boxes are extraneous pieces of garbage. To get that worked up over a box...dude, find a new hobby. Seriously. A dick in the eye?  rolleyes

I guess this is where you could go the Pop route and ban me for offending the delicate sensibilities of the administration, but I'd hope you'd take it as friendly advice to take a break or something. Because that's how it's meant, along with a side of griping about your overtly negative posts on the subject...I mean, I don't post in EQ2 forum anymore...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 09:50:39 AM

For the record, the demo hasn't crashed on me once in hours of play...
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 09:59:09 AM

For the record, the demo hasn't crashed on me once in hours of play...

I had no problems with the demo. The retail game, however...
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 10:28:56 AM

It seems there's a major issues with the Linux retail server.

I guess I'm not the only one with this problem and it does not affect the demo Linux server.

Fuck you DICE.

I run multiple linux server (Gentoo/Redhat), and whenever a map ends, or the round ends, everyone connected crashs to desktop. Furthermore, if the game starts, and people leave, leaving 1 person left in the server, the map ends, and their game crashs.

This is a HUGE issue, and no matter what I tweak, it does not go away. I spend 3 hours testing on multiple servers last night with the same final result. I've moved my server back to the demo server, as this does not happen here (not sure why it would happen in retail, but not the demo)..

This happends regardless of map size, and this happends regardless of the map you play. I'm sure some servers do not do this, or more people would complain. Perhaps it's an issue with Linux servers only... Have any of you seen this problem? If not, what is your configuration, what flavor are you running, and where did you get your binaries?

If someone had this and figured out a workaround/fix, please let us know.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 10:29:58 AM

Ok, according to DICE they are sending an updated Linux server without the bug to EA now.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 10:32:43 AM

Ok, here's a bit of STUPID FUCKING JERKWADING DOUCHEBAGGERY...

The number of the released Linux retail server is 1.0.2442, the number of the released demo server is 1.0.2446.

That's right boys and girls, they released an older binary than what was current.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 10:51:26 AM

I can't empathize with your anger because whenever I look at your super cat avatar (and there are four of them staring at me) all the hate just flows away.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 10:53:12 AM

I have shut down the Linux server for BF2 until the fix is available. There's no reason to even bother until people can actually PLAY.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 11:08:35 AM

It seems there's a server control GUI application in development. Hopefully it will be released soon.

However, according to this interview it should've been released at launch.

IGSOA
Will there be a remote server tool at launch

DICE
Yes, BDSoft (the makers of BFVCC and BFCC) will be releasing a server manager (called BF2CC) when BF2 launches and will provide post-launch support and updates as BF2 is updated. EA and DICE are working very closely with BDSoft to make sure these tools will be the be-all and end-all of server management software.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 01:53:07 PM

I don't want to poke the admins here any more (sorry schild), but I do have to ask ya Shockeye: Do you play mmogs on the release day? ;) Though I gripe about my podunk town not getting software until a week after release, it really doesn't bug me, because it gives some time to straighten out exactly these kinds of issues.

But I hear you, sounds like they are releasing pretty sloppy, which also happened with BF1942, especially with server admin tools (and iirc the linux server was slow to release and/or buggy).

I'm just a fanboi of great games, and even with some lumps, it's a great game. And supercat is our saviour.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 02:03:54 PM

Some MMOGs I have played on release. AO (the horror), WWIIOL (first week, gah!), DAoC, SB (sb.exe), CoH, WoW, etc.

MMOGs DO NOT COMPARE to this. They released a retail build that was OLDER than their demo build. 64-bit people are having serious issues with punkbuster, 32-bit linux people can't even run their servers, etc.

I can forgive a server admin tool not being out on release only because they have never had one ready for release for any of the earlier games. But not having a stable dedicated server binary is not acceptable.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 02:05:08 PM

It is a great game, but there is absolutely no fucking excuse for this, other than "We are EA, this is what we do to all our games."  Or maybe DICE as well, for that matter.  The interface is inexcusable, the login system is almost as awful, the bugs are nearing Wolfpack proportions, it seems, and to top it all off the graphical upgrade is negligible(in case anybody wants to retort with I need a more powerful system, I'm running an athlon 64 3400+ with a gf6800 gt, which runs doom3 and half life 2 almost perfectly at high quality everything).  The only reason I actually ignored my "never buy EA" mantra is because I think the game is really fun when things work out well and I suspect the mod community is going to do some wonderful things with this should EA let them, which will probably lead me to firebomb their shiny new offices in California.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 02:11:12 PM

My computer is up to snuff for it as well:

AMD64 3000+/3200+ 2gb RAM, X800 XL.

As I said to Joe last night, it's like EA hired Wolfpack to QA DICE's work.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 02:24:47 PM

Well, they were probably as cheap as the guy's who didn't QA the BF2 stuff.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 02:31:43 PM

Well, they were probably as cheap as the guy's who didn't QA the BF2 stuff.

I'm impressed. I mentioned sb.exe a few messages back and you didn't pop a blood vessel. You're making progress.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 02:40:24 PM

RAGE SKULLFUCKING TITWILLOW

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: June 23, 2005, 02:43:47 PM

One step forward, two steps back.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 03:18:35 PM

Looking at the server browser (which sucks!) I've noticed a rather un-surprising trend. None of the Linux servers seem to be full. Hell, most of them are kicking people faster than they can be joined!

"BF2 Linux server edition. We've always got a spot open for you" -- EA Games

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: June 23, 2005, 03:33:05 PM

DICE has released the updated Linux server to EA and now it is going through QA (ha!). I spose we'll see the update sometime next week.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 05:40:34 PM

Sky, we gave Bloodlines game of the year for '04.

I don't think I need to say anything else on the subjects you touched on.

But you must understand: I don't like being FUCKED WITH. MMOGs being shitty on release day is accepted even though it shouldn't be. Apathy isn't helping the industry. A major player like EA shouldn't be allowed to pull the shit they pulled. Period.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #34 on: June 23, 2005, 06:06:24 PM

More kindling for the inferno of EA hate.

A quote from the All Seeing Eye forums (ASE is an alternative server browser which rocks):

Anach: Let me restate it for you. All game companies that are supported by ASE allow you to join a server by issuing the game a command line argument similar to:

bf.exe +joinserver 192.168.1.1

or something similar. For some reason, DICE took out that ability. There is nothing ASE can do to support this game unless they change that to work again.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server  
Jump to: