Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 957648 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2415 on: July 14, 2015, 07:40:14 AM

There is a certain excitement and exhilaration in being, and acting yourself, rather than putting on airs for the public. It’s called freedom. It’s amazing.

Serek Dmart, just like the founding fathers. Stop putting on airs for your oppressors and toss that Virtual Tea off your spaceship!

Most who don’t understand how the industry works, the technical challenges etc, were quick to discount this as just another Serek Dmart rant, or hyperbole. Regardless, even those who doubted the statements, were forced to stop and think.

Serek Dmart, points so salient that they hold the minds of doubters at gunpoint.

Most of the noise about this impending train wreck, has mostly come from smaller media, who, even though we all know each other, have more at stake in terms of being honest, and forthcoming, than those who just want to exist in the status quo and hope it blows over. However, once my article hit, and set practically every single gaming community ablaze about the state and fate of Star Citizen, it opened dialog in all corners of the industry.

Serek Dmart, setting all corners of the incestuous cesspool that is gaming journalism ablaze with his dialog.

All hail the Smart. All hail dear leader of Star Citizen deniers.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2416 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:18 AM

I think it would be "whom" instead of "who" in that last quote.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2417 on: July 14, 2015, 08:24:16 AM

I found the story. Its actually very sad, but this is a reminder that this is not a victimless crime.

This entire thing is such a cynical commentary on humanity.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I hope he gets sued to hell and back by some dumb asshole's wife after said asshole spent their kids college money on fake spaceships.  

I mentioned a guy earlier in this thread, whom I have worked with extensively over the last decade. I still talk to him and his wife, since they were both friends. She has divorced him, and has full custody of his kids. Their youngest kid and mine play together frequently.

I bought him a beer the other day during our usual get together with a group of other guys. He confessed to now being well over the 20 thousand dollar mark on money spent on star citizen. He is convinced that it is going to be so amazing that he thinks he literally will not have to play any other games for the rest of his life.

I know this story is unbelievable, you don't have to trust me. However, I swear by its truth. The guy literally evangelizes the game to everybody he talks to. He reminds me of those people who get completely sucked into a religious group, his entire life revolves around star citizen right now.

Quote from: Falconeer on February 26, 2015, 07:32:10 PM
I do believe you, but how did he spend 20k? Isn't the "Completist" box only 18600$? Did he buy the whole thing and then some stuff doube, "just in case"?
He has multiple accounts. He has multiples of all of the super limited stuff. He believes there is going to be a market for those ships he has collected in the future.

About the whole divorce being related to star citizen purchases, I can say for sure that was the reason his wife left him, since I am friends with her too.  He basically used school loan money on star citizen and dumped what little remaining retirement savings they had into star citizen. She tried to have an intervention for him using myself and a few of his other friends and family. He went off the deep end and accused us of not understanding how important his investment was. By this time she had already moved into her own place, and a few days after the failed intervention, she served him papers. My wife and I still have her over frequently because our kids play together. I only see him on rare occasions when my small group of friends gets together for beers. However, over time he shows up less and less.

Edit: Since my wife is in the loop on star citizen she just about freaked out when I told her I spent like 45 bucks on it while it was still in kickstarter. I had to show her that was all I have spent before she would calm down.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2418 on: July 14, 2015, 09:38:55 AM

That's not a crime though, it's a gambling problem.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2419 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:47 AM

On SA, they've moved all Star Citizen discussion to a new forum.

Which Smart is now the moderator of.

Ahahahahah

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2420 on: July 14, 2015, 10:30:37 AM

Oh lord, oh lord. I can't even imagine where this could go.

Guys... we have to start a Kickstarter for The Doctor. Say it's to set up an organization to fund him digging into Roberts' dark closets and whatnot. Or to make an even better version of Star Citizen. He can use the money to hire John Romero to do design work. And Stevie Case to be Senior President of Marketing. No VP title for her, nope.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:33:21 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2421 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:59 AM

Is it possible RSI or whatever the fuck they're called hired Dmart to market for them?
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2422 on: July 14, 2015, 11:00:45 AM

Ok having read through all that bullshit could a non-self important blowhard with some industry cred write something similar without the eyebleeding SirBrucing and Walken commas?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2423 on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:50 AM

On SA, they've moved all Star Citizen discussion to a new forum.

Which Smart is now the moderator of.

Ahahahahah

Oh God... the humanity!  why so serious?

This thread has now delivered.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2424 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:17 AM

Post made by Community Manager Ben Lesnick in relation to the "unsolicited" refund that Mr. Smart received:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5304637/#Comment_5304637

Hey guys!

I believe I can clarify this. We refunded Mr. Smart’s package because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game. Our ToS (or in this case, the Kickstarter ToS) allows us to refund troubled users who we would rather not have interacting with the community. The process lets us entirely disable their accounts, preventing them from playing the finished game. Think of it as the video game equivalent of a ‘we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone’ sign in a restaurant. We’ve used this ability a limited number of times in the past, always with the aim of improving the community (until today, the most famous example being our old friend jcrg99/Manzes/PonyMillar/he of many other alts.)

I do now want to stress that that is not to say you can get your money back by simply being as obnoxious as possible; we’re also able to ban accounts from the forums without requiring a refund. But sometimes we take a look at a user and decide that they’re so toxic or their intentions are so sinister that we simply don’t want them associated with Star Citizen.

As for refund requests working the other way: per the ToS, we’re not required to offer them. We do try and work with backers who are facing hardships, but the hard truth is that the money is by necessity being spent to develop a game rather than sitting unused somewhere (that being the significant difference with Steam; those refunds are taken out of their games’ profits rather than their development budgets.)

Now, beside all the other stuff Pennilenko's (was him?) friend got into (divorce, etc.) I think he could attempt asking for a refund, even if that means telling all about his troubles to customer service (but, granted, that's quite a high sum to refund). Even before this whole ridiculous mess started, I frequently read on the forums about ppl getting a refund on a personal basis.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2425 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:36 PM

Now you know what's funny? Have you checked Line of Defense on Steam? It's so bad I can't believe it's serious (I know it is). 21% positive reviews could be the lowest score I've ever seen. As soon as people start googling it after Lesnick very cleverly dropped the name in that Star Citizen public statement everyone will understand that Smart is a joke, even those who didn't know him. Interesting to see how the best way to undermine Smart and deflate his arguments is to do free advertising for his game!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266620/

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:13:28 PM by Falconeer »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2426 on: July 14, 2015, 12:15:26 PM

Facepalm Facepalm

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2427 on: July 14, 2015, 12:17:33 PM

Did they just say they don't want black people playing their game?

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2428 on: July 14, 2015, 12:23:29 PM

This is turning out even better than I could have imagined
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2429 on: July 14, 2015, 12:25:18 PM

Did they just say they don't want black people playing their game?

hahahhaha , brilliant  awesome, for real

Here's another interesting reply from the topic posted above, made by Eric Peterson (nickname "WingMan"), long time business partner of Chris Roberts since the Origin days, who recently left CIG to run his own studio (Descendent Studios; they ran a successful KS campaign to fund a "spiritual successor" to the "Descent" series):

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5304823/#Comment_5304823

Look, I am no longer at CIG, but I recall when Chris and I were working at Origin, Serek Dmart sent several negative emails accusing us of stealing his ideas etc, the guy is just not worth the time to read.

He is just trying to get attention - something none of us should ever give him.

IMHO, I think CIG did the right thing here, that guy is just not worth the trouble.

WM

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2430 on: July 14, 2015, 12:25:45 PM

Finally, a company is truly at steak.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2431 on: July 14, 2015, 12:26:07 PM

Ugh. Derek is not the person we want or need to attack Chris Roberts and his gang of shitheads.

This is just going to end miserably and with not even a whimper.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2432 on: July 14, 2015, 12:27:39 PM

Hahahahaha.

It's a brilliant strategy the good doctor has come up with though.  If you can't get a massive kickstarter going, sue someone who did!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2433 on: July 14, 2015, 12:39:23 PM

Prediction: Roberts initiates a program to let people donate to his legal fund.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2434 on: July 14, 2015, 12:40:09 PM

And donators get in-game items.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2435 on: July 14, 2015, 12:44:31 PM

And donators get in-game items.

Legal Beagles as pets.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2436 on: July 14, 2015, 12:45:29 PM

Ugh. Derek is not the person we want or need to attack Chris Roberts and his gang of shitheads.

This is just going to end miserably and with not even a whimper.

yep. After reading the golden letters from his nostrils I have to say this will may in fact add 6 months to the time before Star citizen collapses.

Hic sunt dracones.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2437 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:09 PM

Been following Derek for a while now on Twitter. What I expected isnt what I got. A hint of Derek yes, but reasonable, fairly chilled, likeable and up for some banter, but in the last few days he's started a crusade against RSI and its been classic Derek all the way, right down to classic Derek classic lawsuit. Top stuff.

How in the fuck RSI dude hadn't heard of Derek and said not nice things on a public forum I dont know.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2438 on: July 14, 2015, 02:53:19 PM

They really shouldn't have given him a refund. That admits a lot of fault, regardless of what they say on the PR front. That said, Derek is gonna completely fuck this shit up because that's his entire life up to this point. Fucking shit up (and not in the incredible hulk way).
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2439 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:34 PM

Lawsuits against vaporware, heh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2440 on: July 14, 2015, 03:31:18 PM

Can both sides lose a lawsuit? I'm having trouble deciding who is the lesser of two evils in this case.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2441 on: July 14, 2015, 04:37:55 PM

Can both sides lose a lawsuit? I'm having trouble deciding who is the lesser of two evils in this case.

It's fairly simple in this case. Chris Roberts is ruining people's lives. DSmart is never going to stop being stupid regardless of outcome.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2442 on: July 14, 2015, 04:41:27 PM

Yeah but if he wins I'm not sure the universe would be able to contain the size of his ego.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2443 on: July 14, 2015, 04:46:27 PM

Can both sides lose a lawsuit?

We can only hope!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2444 on: July 14, 2015, 05:05:28 PM

Yeah but if he wins I'm not sure the universe would be able to contain the size of his ego.

Doesn't matter, everyone will still hate him.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #2445 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:32 PM

I've been struggling the past week or so to answer this:

You know the phrase, "the lesser of two evils", right? Which one is it in this case?!

Right now I believe I'm firmly in the DSmart camp.  Which, frankly, scares the shit out of me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2446 on: July 14, 2015, 08:44:36 PM

I can't respond to that without Godwinning the thread, so we'll just go with even the worst people can find something to do/say which everyone can agree with.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2447 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:18 PM

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:35:32 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #2448 on: July 15, 2015, 12:54:25 AM

I want the predator to win. Lesser of two evils. Doesn't breed. Kills for literal sport.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2449 on: July 15, 2015, 12:54:46 AM

I guess that makes Smart the Predator, cuz he ain't breeding.

Huh.

This just got a level deeper than I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: