Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 07:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Appgasm 2008 - (Apple WWDC) - Update for Darniaq - IPhone 3G thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appgasm 2008 - (Apple WWDC) - Update for Darniaq - IPhone 3G thread  (Read 72488 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #280 on: June 16, 2009, 10:13:02 PM

As long as it doesn't get as bad as, say, Rogers in Canada, Apple doesn't care as long as AT&T keeps showering them with money.

I do think Apple cares, just not enough to pass up the aformentioned money shower.
They will get a money shower no matter who they go with. AT&T just sucks a fat one.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: June 16, 2009, 11:49:14 PM

Lets hope you get out of this chokehold. A little competition works wonders.

Two days ago I preordered the new iphone with our second iphone provider (the one I run with currently is quite stubborn about existing customers, they treat them like shit so that they can step over them to fellate new ones). In the future I will pay 19.50 Euros insted of 49.90 for the same perks (1000 free minutes, 1000 SMS and 3GB data per month). Fuck exclusives.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #282 on: June 16, 2009, 11:59:01 PM

Ohhhhh, I see. awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #283 on: June 17, 2009, 08:04:44 AM

Oh and anyone balking at the 400 buck upgrade for existing 3gers, 3G phones are selling like hotcakes.  You can unload one for 300 bucks on craigslist easy, as long as you don't update to the new OS.

I thought it was like $599 or something.

It's 400 bucks if you're upgrading from an existing 3G phone.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:23 AM

Oh and anyone balking at the 400 buck upgrade for existing 3gers, 3G phones are selling like hotcakes.  You can unload one for 300 bucks on craigslist easy, as long as you don't update to the new OS.

I thought it was like $599 or something.

It's 400 bucks if you're upgrading from an existing 3G phone.

$199/$299 if you're already 18+ months into an existing AT&T contract, which means, that you need to wait a few months for a price cut…  …I have the first-gen phone which still, incidentally, works great, and am surprised how it still has > battery power than 3G phones…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #285 on: June 17, 2009, 01:14:36 PM

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=13745

We’re now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #286 on: June 17, 2009, 01:52:07 PM

December 12!  Guess I'm still paying that 400.

I think I priced my phone too low on Craigslist, if anyone else does it price your phone for 300.  Just don't upgrade to 3.0 first.  awesome, for real

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #287 on: June 17, 2009, 02:22:13 PM

December 12!  Guess I'm still paying that 400.

I think I priced my phone too low on Craigslist, if anyone else does it price your phone for 300.  Just don't upgrade to 3.0 first.  awesome, for real

Unlock for 3.0 is out already isnt' it?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #288 on: June 17, 2009, 05:38:40 PM

Check this out if you are having trouble upgrading to 3.0:

http://gizmodo.com/5294248/iphone-30-upgrade-process-deactivating-some-phones-from-att
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #289 on: June 18, 2009, 05:43:11 PM

Here is the post I put on the apple support page regarding my girlfriends phone.

Hey guys, I know these boards have been swamped with people having problems after 3.0, and I have read through a lot of the threads and tried a lot of the solutions to fix the issues, but the ones I am having seem just slightly different that what everyone else is having. Any suggestions would be a great help.

These problems are all happening on my girlfriends iPhone connected to a G5 running Leopard. Mine upgraded fine to 3.0. On my MacBook Pro also running Leopard.
I also want to point out that when I say the connection freezes, I am talking about waiting around 30 minutes or so each time to make sure it really is frozen.

Here goes.

I started by plugging her phone in to itunes and it tells me itunes needs to be updated, so I update itunes. I do a synch to make a backup and right at the end it tells me, the synch could not complete because it lost connection with the phone, I click ok, and it continues synching correctly. This was my first mistake. I should have done another synch, but not really expecting any problems, I dont.

I do the phone upgrade and it hangs on installing the upgrade for around 3 hours. Then itunes freezes, spinning wheel of death, so I had to force quit it, and unplug the phone because the phone was also frozen. When plugging the phone back in, it says its in recovery mode and needs to do a restore. Its now showing the "connect to iTunes" screen so many people are stuck at lately.
I do the restore and it freezes again and again each time at a different point, I tried to restore it like 6 times.
At this point I go online and check the forums here, I find a few possible solutions and end up putting on the phone on my PC and doing a restore there and it works.

I then put the phone back on her computer and restore from a backup file. The only available one is March 3rd (the last time she did a synch before the previous one). it freezes during the backup restore and says the phone isnt plugged in, itunes then crashes "this program has stopped responding and needs to close" crash. I restart the computer, restart the phone, plug the phone in, and itunes wont even see it.

After several restarts on both phone and her mac it sees the phone, btw her phone is now running 3.0 but has no info in it, like a new phone. I try to do a backup restore again, and this time the only backup file it can find is June 17th, it again freezes during the restore. I end up unplugging the phone and it says Backup Complete but no info it on the phone. I try to do this like 5 times and it always freezes at some point, but alwas at a different point we say "screw it" lets just synch it, it wont synch now ether. it keeps freezing at some point. I did manage to get her address book over and some of her apps,  but always the synch will freeze at some point. It could be 5 seconds, or it could be 5 minutes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #290 on: June 18, 2009, 11:13:49 PM

Her restore data is most likely corrupted.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #291 on: June 19, 2009, 10:31:45 AM

I figured out the problem.

The USB posts on her computer are going bad, and have a tendency to cut out for a second. I noticed it with the mouse and keyboard also. The cutting in and out during synching and restoring corrupted the Apple Mobile Device drivers. I replaced those and the phone will now connect with itunes fine, but I cant synch her music, cause I cant get a solid USB connection for more than like a minute.

I dont know what to do now.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #292 on: June 19, 2009, 10:51:06 AM

PCMCIA usb card?  Hopefully it's a laptop and not some sort of iMac thingie.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #293 on: July 03, 2009, 11:22:14 AM

So small necro.

I just picked up my 3GS, an upgrade from my trusty 2G first gen phone. Now that I have a faster phone with faster connection, are there any new apps folks have enjoyed using lately?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: July 03, 2009, 02:39:59 PM

I just picked up my 3GS, an upgrade from my trusty 2G first gen phone. Now that I have a faster phone with faster connection, are there any new apps folks have enjoyed using lately?

My favorites, and a few of these no doubt, have been alluded to previously…

Amazon — search for stuff, track package shipments
Brushes — drawing app (artist that does the cover of New Yorker used this to create magazine cover)
Facebook — works better than the web browser pages
Now Playing — movies, theater times, DVD releases
Pandora - with 3G, simply awesome, but runs down my battery
Radioshift — tap into any internet radio stream around the globe
Speed Test — measure your latency, download/upload speed (typically 300ms latency, ~1.5M down, 200K up on 3G)
Stanza — free eBook reader
TED — audio/video presentations from the aforementioned conferences
USA Today — free newspaper on the iPhone
WhatTheFont — for designer nerds, take photo of text, and it recognizes the font

Was going to wait and see how long I could go with 1st gen iPhone but ever since 3Gs release, noticed how bad Edge network has gotten, dropping a lot of calls and service just cuts out (even now, for some odd reason, AT&T service, while decent, flakes out in strength sometimes) — and compared to Mrs. Naum 3G phone, phone connectivity really seemed to be deficient…

As the 3.0 OS update really solved most of my woes — cut & paste, landscape mode for ALL the built-in apps (except for some reason Google Maps + Weather), improved HTML/JS rendering, etc.…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #295 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:52 PM

Ill throw in "iStat". Basically shows your memory usage. The best feature is a "Free Memory" button that forces the phone to clear its RAM except for running stuff. It cost like $1.99 but very worth it for when your phone starts running sluggishly.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #296 on: July 03, 2009, 06:31:06 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definately be checking out Radioshift and iStat!

Anyone else's GPS/Locator off by anywhere from 4 to 12 blocks? I took mine back to the store, and they reset it to factory, and it was 'fixed', as in, just as off as everyone else's in the store. I come home, and instead of restoring from backup (which they said was probably why mine was wonky) I just treated it as a new phone and resynched the content. After that, it was as 'borked' as it was before, locating my position 8 city blocks away.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: July 04, 2009, 06:42:12 PM

It won't use gps inside, so it'll be less accurate until you go outside.

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Appgasm 2008 - (Apple WWDC) - Update for Darniaq - IPhone 3G thread  
Jump to: