Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Simple Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 200353 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:00 AM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #281 on: September 27, 2012, 12:32:00 PM

Yeah what are people actually salvaging? I can understand it at lvl cap (maybe this is indeed where this conversation is couched) but I burn through equip rapidly thus far. I salvaged some items and got basic mats, but only did it for the monthly achieve bar. I vendor pretty much everything.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:12 PM

My rule has been, salvage whites, vendor blues, save greens for gambling in the forge and AH yellows I can't use.  I sell the non-jewel and cooking mats on the AH and buy my armor and weapons on it when I'm ready for upgrade.  Probably not the ultimate key to in game financial success but it works for me.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 27, 2012, 01:44:27 PM

I salvage all white/blue cloth and leather armor since you can't harvest cloth/leather. Other than that I salvage level 80 white/blue metal weapons (chance to salvage into orichalcum) and sell everything else.. I do all this with the cheapest possible salvage kit. Level 74+ yellows I break up with black lion salvage kits, exotics are for the mystic forge gamblin'. I do this with my full magic-find set, not sure if it affects salvages or not - but better to be safe than sorry, eh?

I used to gamble greens in the mystic forge, but lately I've just started to vendor them instead. Salvaging them is not worthwhile (they don't really give more mats than a blue/white), and trying to sell them on the TP is pointless since it's flooded with people selling green items at vendor price + 1c (which is a loss compared to vendor when you take the cut into account).

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 28, 2012, 07:32:01 AM

I do this with my full magic-find set, not sure if it affects salvages or not - but better to be safe than sorry, eh?

Science sez no.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:19 PM

I don't really like crafting discovery - I never know what to put in there. I put some stuff and it accepts one thing and says there are OVER 9000!!

Not sure if you are serious, but it is REALLY REALLY REALLY not complicated.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #286 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:17 AM

Well for jewelry... I plop a gem in the discovery window. Ok I can make 50 odd things with it. Only I need to add more stuff in the window, which I have to make before I even start the discovery part...so I have to predict what I should make in terms of pieces of jewelry before I start out on the discovery thing. Instead of say plopping a gem in the window and having it present me with a menu of the items that can be created with that gem and the other items needed to make a wearable piece. Logically I could figure out that I'd need settings and the piece along with the gem, but me having a few lumps of copper on day one and a few gems - I may not be aware that the lumps have to be made into bars then into the components - or sometimes not even into bars. Then there is the issue of not being able to discover anything because my crafting level is too low for the gems I am looking at doing stuff with, but my crafting list is mostly greyed out now and I have a few yellow recipes left - only have no mats for those.

I say this as someone who has abhorred crafting in every game save EQ2 so I don't have any basic knowledge of how crafting has played out since then.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:01 AM

Crafting in this game is pretty far from the mental gymnastics you're complaining about.  Giving you the base recipes combined with your ability to analyze the list and look through the required ingredients, you should have had the rudimentary formula of how crafting in this game was going to progress.  After copper, you should have clued in when Silver Ingot popped in your list what was up.  No craft is 100% pure discovery; I just don't get the whining.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:09 AM

Well for jewellery... I plop a gem in the discovery window. Ok I can make 50 odd things with it. Only I need to add more stuff in the window, which I have to make before I even start the discovery part...so I have to predict what I should make in terms of pieces of jewelry before I start out on the discovery thing. Instead of say plopping a gem in the window and having it present me with a menu of the items that can be created with that gem and the other items needed to make a wearable piece. Logically I could figure out that I'd need settings and the piece along with the gem, but me having a few lumps of copper on day one and a few gems - I may not be aware that the lumps have to be made into bars then into the components - or sometimes not even into bars. Then there is the issue of not being able to discover anything because my crafting level is too low for the gems I am looking at doing stuff with, but my crafting list is mostly greyed out now and I have a few yellow recipes left - only have no mats for those.

I say this as someone who has abhorred crafting in every game save EQ2 so I don't have any basic knowledge of how crafting has played out since then.
First have a look your crafting mats in the bank. Mouse over a few gems and you will see that there is a logical order in how they are arranged by skill requirement.

Except for cooking, all crafts are tiered (by crafting material). And each tier has 3 stages. 75 levels per tier, with 3 stages of 25 levels each.

You can get past the first tier with refinement (ore->ingots) and a few components (settings/ bands/hooks). Bang! You got JC Level 25 and a shit load of XP. Gratz!

Second stage you start putting things together for discoveries. Usually there are 3 or 4 types of jewels you can use for 26-50 and 3 or 4 to use for levels 51-75.
First you get access to rings and earrings, then chains for amulets and then "filigrees".

I usually create one setting, switch to the discovery plane, put the setting in and now, all gems I can NOT make a discovery with are greyed out.
Lets say I can experiment with 4 gem types.
For rings I need: Band + setting + gem
For earrings I need: Hook + setting + gem
For chains I need: Chain + setting + gem
After 25 levels I get to stage 3 and I can use the rest of the gems of tier 1. I can now also create filigrees, which upgrade gems so I can experiment with them one more time for "masterwork" level items. This should be enough to get to tier 2, silver ore.

If you don't want to grind out useless components it is very important that you get as much levels  out of refinements as possible. I also suggest using the black lion salvage kits or the salvage kits from the forge to recover as much gems as possible.

Happy crafting. :)

Tier 1

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: September 29, 2012, 07:27:05 AM

I stopped slavaging anything but salvage specific loot.  Level 70+ whites sell for 30 copper, which is about double of the cost of mats from the trading post.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: September 29, 2012, 07:59:14 AM

Even for the monthly achievement it is much cheaper to buy low level items in bulk of the trader and salvage those, after selling the results back you get back like 80-90% of what they cost.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 29, 2012, 08:53:17 AM

I focus mostly on discovery, and then mostly on things i'll be able to directly use. I generally don't grind it out anymore because when I did, I probably spend 2g on the Trading Post for those few extra Fine drops  tongue Every five levels I bring Tailoring up to level appropriate gear. I've stalled on Artificing though, because either I've already gotten better from drops, or I've gotten way better from Karma purchases.

Which, separately, I kinda regret. Was looking at the Tier 2 Cultural gear last night. Shoulda been hoarding Karma...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: September 29, 2012, 12:29:57 PM

Doesn't cultural gear cost gold? like shit tons of it?

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #293 on: September 29, 2012, 03:04:24 PM

The only craft where there's any intuition needed at all for discovery is cooking. Everything else is literally combine item A + item B with stat-boosting item C, and you auto learn all the recipes you need for that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #294 on: September 29, 2012, 03:05:29 PM

Doesn't cultural gear cost gold? like shit tons of it?

Yeah. Cultural weapons are karma, but there is no reason to ever buy them unless you want to transmute the looks onto something else, because they're only rare quality.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:26 PM

I bought the Norn warrior Tier 1 set and have been using my map completion stones to transmute stuff into it as I find better drops.  I'm going to skip the tier 2 set but will save up for towards the tier 3 set since the I really like the look of the stag's horn helmet.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 29, 2012, 07:02:03 PM

I've got a bunch of those Transmute stones. They're just for transferring the aesthetic between the same armor or weapon type right? So the Karma-armor is really only worth it if you like the look because by the time you can afford it you've probably gotten better from drops?
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 29, 2012, 08:35:34 PM

Yeah, they swap weapon and armor skins so you can keep the look of something if you like it.  The map completion ones are good up to level 79 items.  To transmute higher than that you need the ones you get through the gem store.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #298 on: September 29, 2012, 08:37:19 PM

It takes 2 items of the same type.  You pick the look you want, the stats you want, and the rune you want.  There's one set of stones for 1-79 and another for 80.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:22 PM

Ah. Hmm, no way to sell them right? Never really much cared for how I look, though being able to change colors is a nice touch.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: October 01, 2012, 03:27:06 AM

The transmutation stones are also the only other (than the black lion salvage kit) 100% sure way to transfer sigils/runes from your old equipment piece to a new one (and the only way in case of some gear that can't be salvaged like the invader's equipment in wvw).
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:47 AM

Ah. Hmm, no way to sell them right? Never really much cared for how I look, though being able to change colors is a nice touch.

You can change color on your gear anytime for free, using the eyedropper icon on your equipment tab.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:19 PM

So is it a bug or intended, that you can't ever remove gems from gear purchased from Karma vendors (because they can't be deconstructed by any kits)?
Rasix

Reply #303 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:54 PM

As implemented now? Intended.

-Rasix
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:51 AM

Anyone know where to find Coriander Seeds? I've read they come from harvesting mature herbs, but I've never gotten a single one.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: October 07, 2012, 03:25:48 AM

So is it a bug or intended, that you can't ever remove gems from gear purchased from Karma vendors (because they can't be deconstructed by any kits)?

You can use transmutation stones to transfer sigils/runes/gems from equipment you can't deconstruct
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: October 07, 2012, 05:31:51 AM

Anyone know where to find Coriander Seeds? I've read they come from harvesting mature herbs, but I've never gotten a single one.

I believe I got most mine for cooking from the northern part of Bloodtide Coast area.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: October 07, 2012, 05:33:12 AM

You can use transmutation stones to transfer sigils/runes/gems from equipment you can't deconstruct
Wuuuh? How does that work? I've got a stockpile of the things.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: October 07, 2012, 06:18:03 AM

Wuuuh? How does that work? I've got a stockpile of the things.

double-click the transmutation stone and then choose 2 (same type) items which to transmute.
You can then choose any combination of appearance, stats and enchantment from those items into the new item produced (both old ones are destroyed)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: October 07, 2012, 07:17:09 AM

Yeah, did this yesterday, works great!  Only found two of those transmutes in 70 levels so...

It's very handy for those sigils that can be more than you'd like to pay for over and over.

Ok, my question:  Does story mode dungeons mean I 'unlock' these dungeons during my story quests?  Do I go in alone or do I have NPC's or do I have to invite other players?

I'm not too far in my story; it's pretty derptastic, although I LOVE my Whispers faction with special dialogue and stuff.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:09 AM

double-click the transmutation stone and then choose 2 (same type) items which to transmute.
You can then choose any combination of appearance, stats and enchantment from those items into the new item produced (both old ones are destroyed)

Wow. I thought transmutation was just for aesthetics. Maybe I should like read up on stuff. Thanks Satael!
Rasix

Reply #311 on: October 07, 2012, 08:04:50 AM

I told you about this around 10 posts up.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:40 AM

I totally blew right past the part where you said "the stats you want".  Ohhhhh, I see.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: October 07, 2012, 08:42:30 AM

Yeah, did this yesterday, works great!  Only found two of those transmutes in 70 levels so...

For the level 79 and under you get some every time from zone completions (at least all the sub 30 zones anyway) for the level 80 ones I have had some come from Black Lion chests. Both kinds are also purchasable with gems.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #314 on: October 07, 2012, 09:23:56 AM

Ok, my question:  Does story mode dungeons mean I 'unlock' these dungeons during my story quests?  Do I go in alone or do I have NPC's or do I have to invite other players?
I've got this same question, haven't hit a dungeon yet. From what I've put together it seems like you still want a full group the first time in but 1 or 2 NPCs will join you as a guide. Again, haven't actually gone through one yet myself so ymmv.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Simple Questions Thread  
Jump to: