Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all the wooters out there... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all the wooters out there...  (Read 81868 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #455 on: April 18, 2007, 07:54:45 AM

Speaking of C64, anyone remember the game Beachhead 2? It was sooooo money.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #456 on: April 18, 2007, 07:58:46 AM

Geez, I have a good memory. I remember it being an artillery game or something.... But me and my friend could get it to load right. So I never got around to playing it.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #457 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:30 AM

I have those covered too. Defender of the Crown is another one of my favorites from that time (i.e. not a console game).

Wings!

And Cinemaware in general...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #458 on: April 18, 2007, 08:28:56 AM

I think if I were to make a Top 5 list, it would have to be a series of lists, separated by era. The CGA era, the VGA Era, the Cartridge Era, the Console Era, and the MMOG Era.

Where the hell does Colecovision's TANK! fit in your list? Goddamned infants. Bitching about bump-mapping and anti-aliasing and crap. WE HAD BLOBS THAT WENT PING! AND WE WERE HAPPY!

DOH. I forgot the PONG Era.

EDIT: And forget Combat, all games of the Pong Era paled in comparison to the joy that was Star Raiders.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:36:07 AM by HaemishM »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #459 on: April 18, 2007, 08:58:33 AM

My grandparents had the actual Pong console... Two controllers with just a dial on them, no buttons.

Oh, and that biplane game on Intellevision was awesome. That console got shit on for having weird controlers, but it had outstanding games for the time. Utopia, for example.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #460 on: April 18, 2007, 09:00:45 AM

I learned addition by playing blackjack on my 2600 as 6 year old, which explains a lot about me today I think.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: April 18, 2007, 09:05:02 AM

I really loved those biplanes. Combat was an Atari favorite. I think I liked Defender and Centipede more though. Centipede is still great.
Defender was one of my favorites until the morning I had to get a penicillian shot and couldn't walk so I played it for four hours straight.  I flipped the score then let just let the game kill me.  I had so many extra lives it must have taken ten minutes to end.

For some reason I couldn't bring myself to play it again after that day...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #462 on: April 18, 2007, 09:16:25 AM

Oh, and that biplane game on Intellevision was awesome. That console got shit on for having weird controlers, but it had outstanding games for the time. Utopia, for example.

Utopia is one of my favourite game ever. Probably a prototype of the first multiplayer RTS ever. And Intellivision, for all I know, the only gaming system ever to sport a 16 directions pad. Which I loved. Those were the years...
But I could go on with tons of non-console games too. From Zork to M.U.L.E. through Ultima, Archon, Summer Games and Pit Stop well, it was tough to play without a Personal Computer back then. But the list could go on for ages and there would be no way to avoid forgetting stuff. Be it consoles or PCs, videogaming was so exciting.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #463 on: April 18, 2007, 09:20:38 AM

My grandparents had the actual Pong console... Two controllers with just a dial on them, no buttons.

I had the deluxe Pong version, which had about 6 different Pong-like games including the original. The two controllers were built into this shitty white plastic case. My siblings and I played the fuck out of that thing for years.

Now, if a game lasts 6 months, it's a classic.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:29 AM

I still fire up Wizardry I and goof around with it every once in a while.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: April 18, 2007, 09:41:35 AM

Utopia is one of my favourite game ever. Probably a prototype of the first multiplayer RTS ever. And Intellivision, for all I know, the only gaming system ever to sport a 16 directions pad. Which I loved. Those were the years...
But I could go on with tons of non-console games too. From Zork to M.U.L.E. through Ultima, Archon, Summer Games and Pit Stop well, it was tough to play without a Personal Computer back then. But the list could go on for ages and there would be no way to avoid forgetting stuff. Be it consoles or PCs, videogaming was so exciting.

Ah yes, Intellivision and early PC days....

Programmers had to rely on gameplay instead of crutches like lifelike graphics.

I miss all the great small software houses that have been ate up by the EAs over time.

Geez, I have a good memory. I remember it being an artillery game or something.... But me and my friend could get it to load right. So I never got around to playing it.

Yeah, one part of the game you had a 50 cal and you would mow down people coming at you. They would yell out shit like "I'm hit", "medic!!" ... there was also knife throwing I think, and some other stuff....

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: April 18, 2007, 09:42:44 AM

That Atari Pong console? Sadly my father gave it away and I got a Sinclair ZX Spectrum instead. At the time I loved that but now the console that made me a gamer would have a place of honor among all my things gaming.

My controllers were brown though, I'm sure about it.

Ah, here it was

Good times that!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #467 on: April 18, 2007, 10:04:02 AM

My pong was brown, too. A six-game version.

But my first gaming platform was a mainframe :)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #468 on: April 18, 2007, 11:08:28 AM

[EDIT] Oh wait, you're still talking about Air Sea. I'm talking about the biplanes in Combat (they had them too....except it was only biplane vs biplane fights. Funny stuff).

Combat had the one where three little planes in formation fought the one big plane.  I loved Combat and no one would play with me, either.  Having a pitiful, pitiful ripoff in Wii Play makes me a little happy and a lot sad.

If you ask me, and I know you didn't, I feel OoT outranks LttP by a small margin.  Twilight Princess did not try hard enough to be OoT, or maybe tried too hard to be Okami of Time and failed terribly.

I should try some Majora's Mask again.  I have not had a nightmare about that moon in a long time.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Jade's list has to be fake.  It smells like an attempt to get some "gamer cred".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:10:19 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #469 on: April 18, 2007, 11:09:27 AM

If you ask me, and I know you didn't, I feel OoT outranks LttP by a small margin.

Go and try playing them again having played next gen stuff. See which one holds up and turned out to be the b etter game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #470 on: April 18, 2007, 11:16:24 AM

If you ask me, and I know you didn't, I feel OoT outranks LttP by a small margin.

Go and try playing them again having played next gen stuff. See which one holds up and turned out to be the b etter game.

Oh yeah, you are right about that.  I am considering it, actually, just need to get LttP loaded onto something.  Your notion of  re-examination of titles is spot-on since there's a lot of nostalgia and state-of-the-artness to worry about.  This is actually why I despise Tetris now, because I have played much better shit in the intervening years.

Zelda....  Which one is best-ever versus which one was the groundbreaker?  To me, OoT was a huge innovation while LttP was just SUPER in execution and polish and even atmosphere (love that intro with the rain), but determining a true winner will require a replay in this millenium.  Hell, I could be saying this same thing about Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, but I am not able to test my hypothesis that Super Metroid would win in 2007.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:24 AM

The thread, how it evolved.  Truly geekworthy.

Welcome to F13, pinkhaired Simukaren.  Baptism by fire, indeed.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #472 on: April 18, 2007, 12:00:35 PM

I can get woman-parts anytime.  Getting Link to the Past running on my TV is significantly more difficult.

schild
Administrator

Reply #473 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:46 PM

2D stuff just holds up better. There's nothing uglier than the PS1/Jaguar/N64 era. NOTHING.

The Atari era looked better.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #474 on: April 18, 2007, 12:27:11 PM

Oh, looks, well I don't know about that.  I was talking more about other things since the graphical division is -- to me -- a given.  Ocarina is pretty homely any way you slice it.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: April 18, 2007, 02:10:36 PM

I'm replaying an Open Source port of the 3DO version of Star Control 2. Nirvana.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: April 18, 2007, 02:35:51 PM

I must give that port a try. Thanks for the pointer in that direction Daeven!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #477 on: April 18, 2007, 03:52:19 PM

I love the taste of port.  MMMM.  I don't drink much anymore but if I did the only stuff I would bother to drink would be ice cold martinis in the afternoon and port after supper.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #478 on: April 18, 2007, 03:58:51 PM

Martinis before dinner, sake with and after dinner.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: April 18, 2007, 04:12:06 PM

I'm replaying an Open Source port of the 3DO version of Star Control 2. Nirvana.

Dude, I've been wanting to play that again for a long time. Thanks for letting me know it is out there.

-H.L. Mencken
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #480 on: April 18, 2007, 10:37:55 PM

2D stuff just holds up better. There's nothing uglier than the PS1/Jaguar/N64 era. NOTHING.

The Atari era looked better.

Early Home Console 3-D is horrid, looking back at it now.

Compare Syndicate to Syndicate Wars
Desert/Jungle Strike to Soviet Strike

Or even look back at Twisted Metal 1, as awesome fun as it was at the time, looking at it kills me. Raiden from the same time-frame though, looks as fine as it ever did. Old, but fine.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #481 on: April 19, 2007, 02:19:02 AM

Console 3D, sure. Computers on the other hand were on a different level. Try launching Driller, Total Eclipse or Castle Master. Or Mercenary, or Damocles. Goosebumps. They were scary even without enemies to fight.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:25 AM

We have been rocking "Ur-Quan Masters" , playing the melee like mad. I'm still yet to be defeated....my brother and a couple of my friends have been practicing their asses off too. *flexes belts*

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #483 on: April 19, 2007, 08:36:02 AM

I love that game. It's one of my all-time favorites. I sort of wish that I didn't know all of it by heart, so I could enjoy it again.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 19, 2007, 11:17:41 AM

I'm man enough to admit that the bird guys always make me cry when they realize their honor is misplaced.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all the wooters out there...  
Jump to: