Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Battlestar Galactica (spoilers/speculation) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica (spoilers/speculation)  (Read 137557 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 10:23:00 AM

Given the references to a singular God, the nomadic nature of the fleet and the persecution from people trying to keep them out of their homeland, BSG always aligned closest to Judaism to me.  12 tribes with a lost 13th, and all.

-ed:  Now I'm forgetting how many tribes Israelis had and if the 13th was a fictional reference or what. Wikipedia is telling me only 10 tribes, so wtf man, I forget where I'd heard 13 before.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:25:50 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 10:38:43 AM

How many people do you see at the table? And where is the chalice?

MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 10:51:18 AM

Given the references to a singular God, the nomadic nature of the fleet and the persecution from people trying to keep them out of their homeland, BSG always aligned closest to Judaism to me.  12 tribes with a lost 13th, and all.

-ed:  Now I'm forgetting how many tribes Israelis had and if the 13th was a fictional reference or what. Wikipedia is telling me only 10 tribes, so wtf man, I forget where I'd heard 13 before.

disciples of Christ would be my guess

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 10:55:27 AM

My understanding is it actually has more in common with the mormons. http://www.michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 10:56:28 AM

Ya, I was posting that Glen Larsen stole it all from the Mormons but I got the "RED WARNING OF LIKELY POST IRRELEVANCE"

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 12:03:56 PM

There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. They may have been the architects of the great pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria or Atlantis. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:10:31 AM by Furiously »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 08:44:25 AM

What is interesting about the missing models is that the existing Cylons seem to know next to nothing about them.  They also made reference to "the one who programmed us", who I'd assume they equate to the Cylon God, although they didn't make that clear.  It makes me wonder though, what sort of relationship they have with their creator?  Enough of one to know there are 12 models (to coincide with the 12 colonies somehow, I'm sure), but not enough to have met them.  More confusing is the age involved here.  The 'human' Cylons are only a few years old. 

I think the fact that there are 12 colonies and the 13th is the mysterious missing one and 12 Cylon models has everything to do with each other. There's a lot of significant numbers thrown about in the show, and I think they all mean something.

I'm going to guess that the original 12 Cylon models were all caretakers on deep freeze colony ships from the original 13th. Or that the lost 5 were Cylon android caretakers, while the other 7 were humans who have been reincarnated (like Kara).

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 02:34:57 PM

I'll echo the sentiment that the final five won't be people we know.  Or at least I hope they won't.  We've seen that twist enough times.

All I know is that the outcome, the big secret, of this series will either be really cool and deep, or ridiculous.  With all this buildup, it pretty much has to be.

On another note, there were rumors going around a few weeks ago that the network was not sure whether they were going to renew the series after this season. Has anyone heard anything else about that?  Looking around the net, it looks like it was really just some exec being unclear, but I hadn't heard for sure that they renewed it.

Witty banter not included.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 09:00:08 PM

I think Cally is one.  :-D

I have suspicions about one more but am less sure.  The other three I think are unknown or more minor characters.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 09:15:36 PM

We know at least one of the 5.  Xena/#3 recognized and apologized to her.

Thanks Lum for that extra insight, that reinforces my theory on the whole thing.

You have two 'whisperers' Head Baltar and Head Six both steering humanity and cylons to Earth.  Who convinced the cylons not to wipe out the humans on New Caprica?  Caprica Six.  She and Boomer changed the Cylons from genocide to 'getting to Earth first'.  Why the change?  Because Head Baltar convinced her!

Of course we have Head Six telling Baltar to get to Earth also.  So god is indeed guiding the cylons to being more humane and  Count Iblis(?) is guiding those pagan humans to go spoil paradise with their fighting and confusion and conflict. 

So when both get to Earth, about the same time, THAT will be the convergence and both races will merge and live in peace.

Eventually they will form 12 tribes and go back into the universe.

'This has all happened before.'

Or maybe I'm just drunk...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 01:40:07 AM

You're drunk.

And Cally is not a cylon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 09:45:12 AM

Wanna cookie bet?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007, 12:18:26 PM

Is it a Kitten Love Cookie?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 01:10:46 AM

Wanna cookie bet?

Sure.  Because, you know, she had a kid.  And that totally, totally, totally fucks the uniqueness and importance of Hera.

Cally is not a cylon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 12:22:22 PM

Or it reinforces the integration of species and the need for love to have a child.  Tyrol is one of the few people who could look at toaster and love them anyways.  By not focusing on that aspect right now Hera remains a plot point of importance.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 12:26:24 PM

She did shot Sharon however. Which set her free again....

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 12:46:40 PM

She was mad Tyrol was fraternizing with a different model.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 03:09:07 PM

You know who would be great to be a cylon...Starbuck's husband. The irony would be DELICIOUS.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:44:23 PM by Furiously »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:15 PM

Sam "the Percolator" Anders.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 04:40:17 AM

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 05:56:54 AM

Only for 13 shows?  That's not good.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 06:20:57 AM

Only for 13 shows?  That's not good.

That depends. If season four is going to be split into two parts like season 2 was they may be speaking only of 4.0.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 12:29:58 PM

You know who would be great to be a cylon...Starbuck's husband. The irony would be DELICIOUS.

Carl Agathon would be even more ironic.  HERA ISN'T SPECIAL AFTER ALL!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 01:31:09 PM

I bet Boxey is a Cylon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 02:05:00 PM

He's the Cylon God.

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 13, 2007, 09:16:00 PM

Good news on the renewal.  Reminds me of praying for another season of B5.  :-D
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:27 AM

This latest episode was pretty crappy.  Only decent part was the Six/Invsi-Baltar freakout session.

Now, this wasn't as bad as last year's noir EP.  But I'm just hoping we haven't hit the "gimmicky sci-fi shit" section of the season.  This one was "racism is bad!"; perhaps the next one will be "proper dental hygiene or humanity is doomed!". 

Gyah. As they say in the Monty Python's Holy Grail dvd: GET ON WITH IT.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: February 14, 2007, 01:04:19 PM

We have spotted a pattern where "good" or "main plot" episodes are broken up by "soap opera" episodes and the occasional sci-fi social commentary.  Objectively speaking, these are usually not bad episodes when considering All TV Ever Aired, but they get in the way of me seeing some very fine and main-plot-related episodes, and their status as filler is noted.

Every time some sort of relationship episode comes around, particularly Lee-Dee-Kara-Sam shit, I sit there and wonder "What's this got to do with the Cylon threat?" but of course I keep watching because you never know when one of those fuckers will show up with an explosive or a basestar will jump in.  OK, most of the time I know it will be in a "real" episode but I watch anyway, hoping.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 02:13:25 PM

Reminds me of praying for another season of B5.  :-D

http://www.babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-Photos.html

Given the quality of the previous movies, however, I have little hope.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #64 on: February 15, 2007, 11:27:05 AM

We have spotted a pattern where "good" or "main plot" episodes are broken up by "soap opera" episodes and the occasional sci-fi social commentary.  Objectively speaking, these are usually not bad episodes when considering All TV Ever Aired, but they get in the way of me seeing some very fine and main-plot-related episodes, and their status as filler is noted.

I guess this is a matter of opinion, because I in fact like the soap-opera episodes.  It grates on me when the heroes save the world (metaphorically) every episode, because it leaves no time for character development.

I liked the last episode, but I didn't see "racism is TEH BAD" as the main point of the show.  I thought it was more about Helo and how his convictions are the most important thing to him, even when it seems, simply from luck of the draw, to always land him on the "wrong" or less popular side.  And him questioning whether it is just luck of the draw or whether he intentionally sets himself up for it.

I do wish they'd do something more interesting with Kara/Lee/et al.  That storyline seems to have found itself with nowhere interesting left to go.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #65 on: February 15, 2007, 02:03:54 PM

I do wish they'd do something more interesting with Kara/Lee/et al.  That storyline seems to have found itself with nowhere interesting left to go.
Throwing them out the air-lock is the only interesting thing they can do with them.

"Me am play gods"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 15, 2007, 08:19:27 PM

I guess this is a matter of opinion, because I in fact like the soap-opera episodes.  It grates on me when the heroes save the world (metaphorically) every episode, because it leaves no time for character development.

I liked the last episode, but I didn't see "racism is TEH BAD" as the main point of the show.  I thought it was more about Helo and how his convictions are the most important thing to him, even when it seems, simply from luck of the draw, to always land him on the "wrong" or less popular side.  And him questioning whether it is just luck of the draw or whether he intentionally sets himself up for it.

I liked the episode as well.  Really served to flesh out Helo's character and motivation.  He's in big danger of slipping off into token Sharon's husband/Hera's father territory.

Dresden before it really isn't too bad, either.  The first episode was meh,  but the last two have been stronger.  It interferes with Rome,  but Rome is repeated at least a dozen times during the week since it is HBO.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #67 on: February 15, 2007, 08:44:41 PM

Throwing them out the air-lock is the only interesting thing they can do with them.

I agree, that shit needs to be broken up.  Just don't put Jaime Bamber in a fat suit again.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 09:24:21 AM

I liked the Helo ep. just ok.  I did like how they were fleshing out the character, and the position he was in.  It was also nice to see some more dynamics between the colonial groups, since the present government is still young and there is a lot of background strife between the colonies they haven't jumped much into. 

However, the pacing felt too slow.  Shooting up some Cylons may be cheap and unintelligent, but it does help to move the show along.  Or show more stuff with Caprica Six and Head-Baltar.  We've only seen that pair face off a couple times now, and I'd like to see how that's going.  I'd really like to see real Baltar and Caprica Six talk about their head pals to each other.  Just anything really - that show could have used at least one other plot line running through it, because the evil racist doctor bit was good but not enough to carry a whole show.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #69 on: February 16, 2007, 09:34:23 AM

Evil Doctor bit was too spontaneous. If they had built up the key element in earlier episode it would felt better. As it is, it felt like the entire situation pulled out of the air.  Why are there refuges anyway? The entire damn fleet is refugees.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Battlestar Galactica (spoilers/speculation)  
Jump to: