Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:00:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon  (Read 121643 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

on: April 15, 2013, 12:08:01 PM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:48 PM

Live cam at the finish line, though it looks like almost all the injured have been removed from the scene:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013-boston-marathon-finish-line/
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:09 PM

Jesus that doesn't look good.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:50 PM

It sounds pretty grim for those closest to the blasts.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:40:20 PM

People are already starting to speculate it was natural gas, but based on the deadspin pictures I'd say, no.  Though I'm not sure how close to the actual site those pictures with all the blood were taken.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:42:54 PM

Channel 5 has pictures of one of the two actual explosions, it's not huge. I mean, it's bad, but it's more like a backpack or something, not a car.

It seems just a little unlikely to be a gas explosion. The fireball on the picture I'm looking at seems to be outside the building, not inside.

Being local this is a huge event. Is it really that well followed elsewhere?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:43 PM

No one knows yet, except that there were reportedly two explosions, possibly in trash cans, police are surrounding other likely spots including a report of bomb-squad activty at Mandarin hotel. It's just completely unconfirmed reports and some really graphic pictures of people missing limbs pulled from the finish line live webcam.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:45:29 PM

Fox are saying three dead at the moment. This is really sad.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:53:05 PM

NY Post has the tally up to 12 dead now apparently.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:27 PM

Starting the pool for how quickly Drudge blames this on either Muslim terrorists or a reason to glass N. Korea...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:03 PM

Channel 5 has pictures of one of the two actual explosions, it's not huge. I mean, it's bad, but it's more like a backpack or something, not a car.

It seems just a little unlikely to be a gas explosion. The fireball on the picture I'm looking at seems to be outside the building, not inside.

Being local this is a huge event. Is it really that well followed elsewhere?

My thoughts exactly on the explosion size, location, etc.  Also, if it were a gas line a facade would be opened-up or there'd be a crater in the ground we'd have shots of. We don't.

As far as following, it's internationally-renowned.  It's always been well-covered here in Ohio. I remember coverage from High School right up through last year, including feeds on TV for a few hours the day of the race.

Starting the pool for how quickly Drudge blames this on either Muslim terrorists or a reason to glass N. Korea...
It's not Drudge, but several posters in the Reddit thread already made the N. Korea connection.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:46 PM

There's video being shown on the news. Obviously, the entire thing was televised. Here's one not especially graphic camera shot made into a gif.

http://i.imgur.com/UbUlIp5.gif
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 01:00:26 PM

Nobody has apparently claimed responsibility yet, I find that a little weird.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:14 PM

Some source seem to say that the explosion came from a dustbin.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 01:09:55 PM

I thought anything really designed to hurt people (loaded pipebombs, anything that relies on fragmentation) usually doesn't produce a fireball?

Whatever, no sense in it. We'll have to wait and be vaguely terrified and depressed until they determine what the cause was. Likely/hopefully just some lone nut dropping homemade bombs in trashcans/postal drops.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:10:58 PM

In Boston on Tax Day does sort of make me lean towards the (hopefully) lone whacko theory.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 01:14:55 PM

I don't like any sort of violence on American soil whether accidental or otherwise because Homeland Security and the TSA always have a field day with it, no matter what the source. So this makes me sad.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:33 PM

Newyork Post is confirming it was an explosive device, and reporting 12 dead, up to twice as many injured.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQfVsH1yI?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

Also, a 3rd device was discovered, which is believed to have been (as of this time) detonated by Police in a controlled explosion for removal purposes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:17:04 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:05 PM

Freaking Post they are the only ones saying that number, the police are saying 2 dead.

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

Smoke filled the previously crystal-clear sky and the sounds of sirens rang for blocks.

American Media is a pack of sensationalist idiots.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:54 PM

Freaking Post they are the only ones saying that number, the police are saying 2 dead.

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square
Yeah, I am figuring that the 12 figure is hopefully someone fatfingering a 2 and rushing it to the digital presses before it was thoroughly vetted by an editor.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 01:21:20 PM

Terrible news.   Heartbreak

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 01:22:19 PM

Incidentally everyone who works at the NYPost should have their fingers broken and never be allowed near a computer, typewriter, or TV camera ever again. They are a shitty newspaper staffed by terrible people.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 01:25:07 PM

AP is reporting two more devices found, the police are dismantling them at the moment apparently.

Also, it's Kim Il Sung's 101st birthday today

Tinfoil Hat

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:13 PM

It's also tax day.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:31 PM

Also don't read Drudge Report thanks.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 01:30:56 PM

I read Drudge Report so I know who is falsely reporting ;)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 01:33:21 PM

Twitter is both amazing and facepalmingly stupid when stuff like this happens. I first read it there, a decent amount of time before major news outlets picked it up - but now the overreaction and misinformation is ridiculously over the top.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:32 PM

AP and Reuters seem to be keeping it pretty factual on twitter, they're great feeds to follow. Zerohedge is also good.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 01:41:40 PM

Twitter has hurt media more than media has hurt media. But it's a pretty cyclical trash spin.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

At the same time: 42 killed and 257 wounded after 19 car and 17 roadside bombs in Iraq. People are speculating on North Korean involvement in the Boston incident, but this could be another line of investigation.

My thoughts are with victims of senseless bombings everywhere. On the weekend I was cheering a friend who ran his first marathon, so this Boston thing is shocking.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:46:12 PM by Tale »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 01:53:35 PM

Smart money is on normal homegrown white guy crazy. I have literally no idea how anyone could draw a connection between this and North Korea that takes a special kind of retard.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:19 PM

NYpost still saying 12 dead and now a Saudi national has been identified as being involved.

Fuck the NY Post.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 01:57:01 PM

Smart money is on normal homegrown white guy crazy. I have literally no idea how anyone could draw a connection between this and North Korea that takes a special kind of retard.

This. Tax day in Boston with a visible public event.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:42 PM

Those explosions look like something on the order of a pipe bomb, and not a very well-designed one (all concussion, not much shrapnel).  Could be a stick of dynamite or chunk of C-4, but somebody with access and skills for that could have made something considerably deadlier.

--Dave

EDIT: Taking that back, looking more carefully (and finding some better photos of the aftermath) I'd say exactly the opposite, those were very well-built, lots of shrapnel causing severe injuries across a wide area on at least one of the bombs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:07:41 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon  
Jump to: