Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Dieting again. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dieting again.  (Read 78598 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 24, 2008, 10:53:52 PM

7 weeks.

March 25th - May 12th, exactly 7 weeks.
Mo xx 25 26 27 28 29 30 Sun
Mo 31 01 02 03 04 05 06 Sun
Mo 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 Sun
Mo 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Sun
Mo 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Sun
Mo 28 29 30 01 02 03 04 Sun
Mo 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 Sun
Mo 12 Refeed ----------> Sun
End.

According to past experience, I should hit between 180 and 190. And be the same size I was in ohhhh, 8th, 9th 10th grade, somewhere about there. Between a 30 and 32 pant size. And have to rebuy all my clothes FOR A SECOND TIME.

But I'm OK with that. Wish me luck.

Also, this post is to really warn you that I'm going to be a fucking big asshole for about 2 weeks.

And by big, I mean bigger than normal.

Carry on.

Edit: For those of you that don't know, between November of last year and February of this year, I dropped about 80 lbs doing a very, very exact diet. To the gram. I've slightly modified it for maximum weight loss, and will be aiming to cut another 35-45 lbs over the next 7 weeks. Which is to say, in the course of 8 months, I will have lost roughly 120lbs. I AM AMERICA, AND YOU CAN TOO.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:55:44 PM by schild »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:55:08 PM

I'ev never been 180 in my life. What's it like? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:56:39 PM

I haven't been since puberty, so, frankly... I have no fucking clue. We'll see what happens. I kinda "grew up" in 7th grade and hit about 170-180 in 8th grade. By the end of 10th grade (granted, it was mostly muscle from intense soccer workouts) I was about 210lbs. Which is about 20-25 lbs (depending on day, hour etc) less than I am now.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:10:14 PM

I'm 175 now, down from 200. So, I salute you.

One piece of advice though. Turn off the fucking TV after 11. Fast food places do nothing but pump ads in at those hours and make you hate life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:13:50 PM

I'm 175 now, down from 200. So, I salute you.

One piece of advice though. Turn off the fucking TV after 11. Fast food places do nothing but pump ads in at those hours and make you hate life.

I haven't eaten fast food (short of a chipotle burrito as a last hurrah tonight) since last October.

Fast food doesn't phase me. I'm the dieting equivalent of a Spartan Warrior.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:18 PM

Fast food is a disgusting blight on the culinary landscape. Doesn't matter if you're trying to lose weight or not, you're way better off not eating that shit. I haven't touched it since '99 or so.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:25:06 PM

You know what, I'll put my cards on the table. Here's some pictures from before:

Right now I flutter between 228 and 240. Seriously, radical differences every day. Water retention or something. Whatever, I'll work it out after this go round in the diet. At this very moment I weigh 236.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:05:51 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:32:15 PM

Oh, if you want details on the diet, PM me. A few other people are doing it to varying degrees of success on the board, though they haven't said anything publically. I happen to do a hardcore version of it without any optional foods like fruit, crackers, and other things. Like really hardcore. To give you an idea, my diet will consist of:

Vitamins
Tofu
Egg
Mushroom
Lettuce
Green Peppers
Cucumber
and Fat Free Disgusting Cheese

I have it down to more than a science for maximum weight loss as I improvised a bit towards the end.

I make supermodels look like amateurs and don't vomit along the way.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:03 PM

I vary between 115 and 120. Malnutrition? Just a little.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:20 PM

I vary between 115 and 120. Malnutrition? Just a little.

Aren't you like 5 foot nothing and pure bone though?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:29 AM

Losing 80 pounds over 3 months is impressive. You should write a diet book.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:54:11 AM

I would, if this were my diet.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:12 AM

Who cares? Talk about the diet and fill it with a lot of fluff about maintaining your resolve. Throw in your line about being a Spartan Warrior of Dieting. It's not like diet contents are copyrighted.

Most people who try diets don't have your success. Most diets are pretty much the same (or fall into a few broad categories), the main thing is sticking to them, something you've been able to do.

I'm dead serious.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:16:29 AM

You know, I'll say this:

Dieting is probably the single hardest thing I've ever done. To be perfectly fair, I can't say my life has been filled with hardships despite being through some pretty wack shit, but this, this sort of self-inflicted craziness - the kind of thing you can stop any time and revert back to comfort - is a slow burn. It wears you down. It makes you angry, tired, and just a generally short fuse that you simply to not want to fuck with. The next 2 weeks, I am going to be a psychotic motherfucker that would make the people around here who quit smoking look like pussycats. That'll peak in about 72 hours. I'm going to try not to post later this week, for reals. Unless it's right after lunch. I may chronicle the weight loss though as motivation - right here in this thread.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:38:32 AM

80 pounds in three months is amazing and has to be damn satisfying.

/annoying nitpick  Get off my lawn!
Two things:
1. I'd be surprised if you maintain that rate of weight loss.  Another 50 lbs in 2 months might be a little unrealistic.  It always slows down as you go along.

2. I hope you're doing some kind of exercise along with the diet (but given your results I'd expect that you are) - otherwise that weight is just going to creep back up when you're done, as your metabolism won't really have changed. 
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 04:00:17 AM

Do you match your diet with an exercise regime? To me one without the other seems a tad pointless.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:59 AM

Ya, I've been 'dieting' for the last 2 months and dropped about 20lbs.  But I've been working out too.  I just eat light 5-6 times a day during the week and eat what I want on the weekends.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 04:33:54 AM

You're doing great Schild. You should be proud.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:25 AM

I like what you've done with your face, too.  It's fancy.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 06:24:37 AM

That's pretty fucking impressive man. I've never really tried dieting, but even just trying to eat better and cut back portions is hard enough.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 06:44:20 AM

To the gram. I've slightly modified it for maximum weight loss, and will be aiming to cut another 35-45 lbs over the next 7 weeks.

5+ lbs a week seems a tad excessive!  You be careful, young man.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 07:30:26 AM

I like what you've done with your face, too.  It's fancy.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I've been trying to lose like 3 pounds forever. I'm in a really bad cycle now of sleeping all day, staying up all night, eating big meals and being really lethargic in general. I don't think I've ever lost more than a pound or two in my life and my weight hasn't changed by more than a few pounds either way in 10 years. Losing that much weight is crazy to me.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 07:34:40 AM

THREE pounds?Huh  Geez.  So trim your nose hair or sommat.  That should do it, fatty.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:58 AM

Fatty? I'm merely big-boned!

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 09:06:08 AM

I also don't know what it's like to be 180lbs, but from the other end of the scale.

Try as I might, I've never gone higher than 160.  However, I was about 140 a couple years ago, started going to the gym and got a real diet and put on 20 pounds of actual muscle (which I'd never had before), I got lazy and lost about 10 of that, but I'm doing the same thing again starting in the next couple weeks.  My goal is 175.  So here's hoping for both of us.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:43 AM

I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of exercise people are doing while losing weight.  I've been watching calories, cut back on beer, and have tried to walk or jog with the dog a few times during the week.  Not seeing much if any loss (currently 190 would like to lose 30 or so, stupid beer gut).

I'm curious about how much exercise I'd need to do while keeping calorie intake at around 1500 per day to lose me some.  Maybe I should start doing daily DDR.

And nice work schild, that is impressive.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:37 AM

DDR is great for weight loss.  I had pretty steady weight gain through college due to poor eating habits until I started playing DDR each day between classes.  I ended up dropping about five pounds over the course of a semester without changing anything else.

Unfortunately I'm now nowhere near a good arcade and I've got bad knees to boot.   Cry

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27:33 AM

I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of exercise people are doing while losing weight.  I've been watching calories, cut back on beer, and have tried to walk or jog with the dog a few times during the week.  Not seeing much if any loss (currently 190 would like to lose 30 or so, stupid beer gut).

I'm curious about how much exercise I'd need to do while keeping calorie intake at around 1500 per day to lose me some.  Maybe I should start doing daily DDR.

Our trainer says to get your heart rate to 160, and leave it there for an hour. Every day. (This is all cardio).

Getting to 160 is the hard part, pretty easy to keep it there.

*And* watch your calorie intake. Once you are at your weight, you can stop killing yourself every day, and just watch calorie intake with some mediocre exercise. Adding strength training would speed this up, but also make you gain muscle weight.

- Viin
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 10:31:41 AM

Aren't you like 5 foot nothing and pure bone though?
5'6" and not pure bone. Just enough to give you paper cuts.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 12:22:15 PM

Sort of related:

Some time last year I remember reading some blog from some guy (VAGUE) and he got super cut from being super fat in like a year, and detailed in crazy detail everything he did.

Anyone know what I"m talking about?  I'm just curious.

Really, atm, I'm just trying to drop like 15-20 more pounds through old fashioned running/pushups/situps/low carb-high protein tasty foods.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:22 PM

In the last couple of years, I had a couple things have pretty profoundly affects on my "lifestyle":
1)  Quit smoking - self explanatory.  Nicoteen is a natural diuretic, as well as an appetite depressant.
2)  Started my own business, and as such was entertaining prospective clients and doing a good bit of travelling.  Basically, eating crap food and drinking a good bit of alcohol.
3)  Wife got pregnant - she would get hungry, I would eat as well.  I called it 'sympathy weight'  ACK!
4)  Entered my early/mid 30's - metabolism slowed even more  swamp poop
5)  Enter newborn baby boy - between work and family, I had zero time for 'me' time.

I followed Schild's diet thing for a couple weeks, and also hit the weights and started back running and playing tennis.  During that first couple of weeks, the weight poured off.  I went from 220 to 190 rather quickly.  I got off the diet, kept working out, and assumed a different diet.  Dropped the last 15 or so pounds I wanted to lose to get down to my 'feel good fighting weight' of 175.  Diet now consists of no fried foods, no bread/breaded food, nothing/little as possible enriched/processed.  No rice/pasta.  No sugar whatsoever.  Everything I eat now is grilled, raw, steamed.  I call it my 'natural' diet.  Basically, if I can't kill it and eat it, or pull it straight from a garden and eat it, I don't.  We do all our shopping at the organic places, which is a little more expensive, but it's worth it.  My wife weighed about 125 lbs before she got pregnant, got up to about 190 lbs right before Graham was born, and is now back down to about 135 lbs.  She eats the same diet as I do, but has started teaching gymnastics and acrobatic dance again, as well as (finally) making use of the jogging stroller.

Feels really, really good.  I've got my flexibility back, got my golf swing back.  Knees and back no longer hurt.  I dont have to use my CPAP machine anymore (I developed a nasty case of sleep apnea with my weight gain over the last 5 years, which caused me to gain MORE weight).  Play some pickup basketball with some of the teenagers in my neighborhood without feeling like I'm dying afterwards.  
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 12:37:05 PM

I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of exercise people are doing while losing weight.

I *personally* favor working out with dumbbells, and rapidly alternating opposing muscle groups, with no rest between.  I really have fallen in love with the medicine ball for core/midsection movements.  I have to be very careful with weigh training as I tend to bulk up really fast.  I have to really work on my flexibility, as my body type is more power than speed, though I'm not what you would term as slow.  To counteract the bulk, I work with comparatively light weight in my upper body, while working my legs normally.  I love working lower body, always have.  My biggest weakness is flexibility. 

So, depending on your body type, it's hard to go wrong with targeting the major muscle groups the hardest (pecs, shoulders, back, ass, legs).  All of which you can work with dumbbells and a bench.  Learn to work with a medicine ball as well.  You can get a great workout with just push ups, sit ups (if done correctly), lunges, and a chair and a wall (isometrics)

I'd also highly recommend joining a boxing gym.  That will shape you up, and shape you up FAST.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 12:46:51 PM

I also don't know what it's like to be 180lbs, but from the other end of the scale.

Try as I might, I've never gone higher than 160.  However, I was about 140 a couple years ago, started going to the gym and got a real diet and put on 20 pounds of actual muscle (which I'd never had before), I got lazy and lost about 10 of that, but I'm doing the same thing again starting in the next couple weeks.  My goal is 175.  So here's hoping for both of us.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'8 or so and weighed 130lbs in Highschool. I could drink 4 litres of coke a day without gaining a pound (or going diabetic, oddly). Once I hit thirty - boom. I'm still skinny, but now I have 30 lbs worth of beer gut and bitch tits.

So it's not so much a dieting issue with me, as it is an issue to get off my ass and use the gym equipment. I consider myself a master procrastinator.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:55 PM

Working out is all about creating a routine.  If you make your workout a habit that you do at a time that you schedule, it becomes much easier to maintain.  Eventually, you find yourself doing it as a matter of course. 

I always advocate weight training for weight loss.  Replacing fat with muscle mass is the best way to increase your base metabolic rate.  There's nothing better than burning more calories while doing nothing.  Focusing on the large muscle groups is the easiest way to maximize results (chest, back, thighs, butt).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:55:58 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 12:54:48 PM

My wife went to a nutritionist about 2 months ago.  She wanted to see what she had to say about her losing weight, her migraines, and her occasional anxiety attacks.

After talking to her for a while the nutritionist wanted her to try this -
No grains
No sugar
No fruit
MAXIMUM of 2 days a week of exercise
Use unscented deodorant, no perfumes, etc...

In the 2 months my wife has had NO migraines, NO anxiety attacks and has lost about 30 pounds.  I think on her next appointment they are going to slowly start working foods back into her diet to try and determine what causes the migraines.  I just always find this story funny because her migraines were bad enough she went to see doctors a few times.  Every time she was basicly told "It's just a standard migraine, go home and take some Asprin, here's your $$$$$$ bill."  She goes and sees a local nutritionist once for like $50 and she hasn't hardly had a headache since.

Anyways, myself I'm around 230 give or take 10 pounds whenever I weigh myself.  I just really suck at sticking with a diet, I can eat heathier and smaller proportion meals without a problem.  It's just the snacks and stuff like that at work and when I go out I have a hard time saying no to.  I'm trying to stick myself with a more regular workout routine as well....but I'm just so lazy.  ACK!

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Dieting again.  
Jump to: