Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 2007-08 EPL Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007-08 EPL Thread  (Read 152846 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #490 on: June 05, 2008, 06:34:01 AM

Yes. He has no real reason to stay, especially not in New York. But still.

Anyway, Mark Hughes to Man. City? Fuck. Not only do I hate Man. City because they play boring football and their owner is a tit who fucked over Sven for no good goddamn reason, but now I really, really hate them because I liked how well Mark Hughes did with Rovers. I'm very afraid Rovers will now fall into shit because he's gone. I was hoping that team would push into UEFA contention next year, but I don't see that happening, especially if they lose Santa Cruz, Bentley and some of their other talent. But if Bentley goes to Liverpool, that will be good.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: June 05, 2008, 07:21:03 AM

Villa is going after Friedel

Gio Dos Santos confirmed he will be joining the youth brigade at Tottenham.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #492 on: June 05, 2008, 07:23:25 AM

Man, I hate that Liverpool has jacked up the price on Scott Carson. He's done damn fine work at Villa and Liverpool is really being dicks about his transfer value. $10 million? Sunderland overpaid for Gordon last season at $9 million. I think Carson is really good, but I'd put James at $10 million before him. If Rovers lose Friedel, Bently AND Santa Cruz, I just don't see how they'll stay top 10.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:14 AM

Dunne's heading to Pompey.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #494 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:33 AM

Damn. IF they managed to keep Sol Campbell and James, that team is going to be HELL to score against. Not like they weren't already tough. If they also get Crouch... that team could easily poke into the top 5.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:07 AM

On the Berbatov front, no bids as yet for him. However, if CR heads to Real Madrid, expect SAF to snatch him up in a heartbeat.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:41 PM

On the Berbatov front, no bids as yet for him. However, if CR heads to Real Madrid, expect SAF to snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Why? Not exactly the type of player Utd needs. We need a forwad like Torres, not Berbatov. And if Ronaldo goes (better get SHITLOADS if he does) then we'll need a winger. Berbatov would be nice, but he's the kind of guy who takes Tevez's place, not fills a gap.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: June 09, 2008, 06:31:21 AM

Might as well put it in the EPL thread but is anyone keeping track of Euro 2008 now that it has begun?  Everything is going to form so far but the group of death starts today.  I gather Italy and France would be favored to come out of it but Holland and Romania could make it dicey.  I'm backing France for the whole tournament and rooting for the Czechs, Croats and Greeks to advance respectively.

Also took in the US-Argentine friendly last night... fine effort from our side; a bit flat in the first half and Howard kept them in it with a number of good saves.  But we came out like gangbusters in the second half and in my mind outplayed Argentina.  Ended in a 0-0 draw so there you go.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
WayAbvPar

Reply #498 on: June 09, 2008, 06:48:11 AM

Watched a bit of Aus/Croa and Ger/Po, and all of USA/ARG. I gotta say, I am sick and fucking tired of watching matches where the surface and/or the incompetent ref are a major story. The Mastroeni red card was bad enough to preclude that joker from ever working a FIFA game again.

Glad I  get to tele-commute Mondays and Tuesdays- some great games in Euro 2008 both days.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: June 09, 2008, 06:55:11 AM

The Yanks had the better chances in the second and the run of play. Tim Howard just slammed the door on Guzan getting a sniff for the next cup and then some. I want to see Altidore with a little more development along with Adu up top with Donovan playing behind them with Beasley, Dempsey and maybe Robbie Rogers. The card was horseshit, but I think it's Mastroeni's reputation doing him no favors.

Dolo, maybe Bornstein and our center backs and I think we could do quite well.

Euro 2k8. I was thinking about making a separate thread, but I missed the first day. Austria should feel like they gave a solid effort, but Croatia have to do better or they won't be around long. I do loves me some Luka Modric though, and he's  Spurs now :) So far so good for Spurs' offseason, wouldn't you say?

Eagerly looking forward to todays action.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #500 on: June 09, 2008, 09:14:47 AM

I wont get to see today's games, because no TiVO and I forgot to record a steam.....   ACK!    I wonder if ESPN is doing a rebroadcast tonight?

Euro 2008:

Group A
Portugal v Turkey:
Simao needs to not suck from the word go, I wanted to see much more of Queresma but I dunno if he's been in bad form or what lately.  There were huge holes in their defense and they did not defend corners well.

Czech Republic wont be able to play that poorly and get an easy win from Turkey, but they could also upset Portugal without me being shocked, this is a weak group.

Group B
Germany v Poland:
Germany is the only team that has played so far that looks like a contender, even they had some obvious weakness.  Their back line and midfield isn't very fast, Klose needs to remember that he's the goal scoring wizard & Jens is going to fuck them at least once.  Poland needs to regroup and recover and they should make it out of the group if Croatia doesn't get better.  There were a great deal of positives and one big lesson (your trap sux, dont do that) to take from that game.

USA v ARG:

I feel really good about this game, lots of guys I didn't know who played well.  Messi was too much for our shitty defenders though.  The coach still makes terrible lineup calls.  Fucking why on earth would his son start, quadruple why the fuck doesn't Edu start???  Dempsey played like a fucking c*nt and for once I appreciated the effort of Beasley and Donovon.  I think Freddie needs to start, he's obviously got the raw talent but it took him awhile to get into the game coming off the bench.  I really liked that kid with the long hair that they sub'd in way late, which MLS team does he play for?

If only Altadore had been playing..  Or if Eddie Johnson could have had a better game, he was getting caught offside on every fucking run.  Also our service sucks ass as usual though Landon's corners were better then they often are.  Fucking Tim Howard is the man though.  Once Argentina scores they often become even stronger in attack.  That game could have been 3-0 if he hadn't stood on his head and cut down angles so brilliantly.

Can't believe Argentina is ranked #1 by FIFA, they really need to figure out a better system...   

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: June 09, 2008, 09:45:34 AM

I think you're referring to Sacha Kljestan. He's at Chivas USA. That's another decent attacking squad. They also have the Cuban defector Mykel Galindo and the 19 year old who won Sueno MLS (the win a job as a player on the team reality show), Jorge Flores, who  came out of nowhere and is playing some great ball right now.

Only in american soccer could you get some guy show up for a TV tryout and not only win, but actually stick, start, produce and be looked at for a transfer to Europe and possible national team time in the span of a year.

Right now, we're England without the talent, but some of the new blood has a decidedly non english playing style. Things like having Robbie Rogers working with Barros Schelotto  and Altidore working with Angel and now Villareal and Adu at Benfica will advance that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:49:28 AM by sigil »
WayAbvPar

Reply #502 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:26 AM

I think you will see a better lineup when WC qualifying starts. 6 subs for friendlies allows BB to tinker and test to find out how different combos work. I would be surprised not to see Adu and Edu start come Barbados. Adu is still a little headstrong, but he is so creative that they almost HAVE to play him. I am not sold on Eddie Johnson up front- he doesn't seem to have the speed on the ball to really break out, and isn't big enough to be a target on crosses in the air (Sasha is a better choice there, imo). Haven't seen Jozy play yet, so I am clueless as to how/where he fits in.

Euro spoiler in small print-

Romania fought France to a draw. Not a ton of chances either way. Italy/Holland up next. Go Orange!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #503 on: June 09, 2008, 10:25:16 AM

Sacha Kljestan is just a good playmaker, and it helps that his club plays a fluid passing style of offense. The US has some good talent, it's just putting it together on the same field. I think part of it is we may be holding on to some legacy guys like Pablo Mastroeni who just aren't up to their historical form. I find it hard to watch friendlies, so I could be totally off-base.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: June 09, 2008, 11:06:32 AM

I want to see who we play against Barbados. Yeah, I know it's fucking Barbados and we should win 6-0, but I think that's when we'll see Altidore and Adu up top.

Altidore has size 6'2 and growing, speed, agility, footwork and one hell of a shot. Pretty good with his head as well. You combine that with the fact that he's extremely well grounded and just turned 18 and it's easy to see why so many people are forecasting great things for him.

I soooo want to read that small print but I have both games set to be Tivoed. My TIVO schedule is slam packed with games to record.

Oh, I forgot who asked but ESPN 360 has the US ARG game  on demand.
WayAbvPar

Reply #505 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:26 PM

I soooo want to read that small print but I have both games set to be Tivoed.

Glad I made it small!

More Euro spoilers-

Less than 10 minutes to play, and The Netherlands is just kicking the everliving shit out of Italy 3-0. I am overjoyed! Their first goal was a hideous non-call on a blatant offside, but the 2nd goal was an absolute joy to watch. The 3rd was just insult to injury, which suits me just fine. I HATE the Azzurri.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: June 09, 2008, 01:18:56 PM

GAH, you taunt me with your tiny tiny words.

JUst watched it, that was supreme joy to watch. The happiness and warmth as the Dutch just kept  charging and charging and charging.  But he was completely  and totally offside EXCEPT if you think the guy off the field was staying off the field on purpose  Since I say Fuck italy, I  fully support the official decision
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:51:04 PM by sigil »
WayAbvPar

Reply #507 on: June 09, 2008, 02:53:26 PM

Amen.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:01 PM

Uhh what's with the dislike. I hope there are reasons.  Heartbreak

I heard Portugal looked very impressive but didn't see the match myself.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:18 AM

Not liking some of the players personally, well as much as you can do that sort of thing to milllionaires that you'll never meet in person.

Not liking the style of play.

the reputation being  based on some very real incidents.

and then finally, who they are, a little nationalism never hurt in these things  smiley
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #510 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:37 AM

I heard Portugal looked very impressive but didn't see the match myself.

Hardly, unless you rate Turkey highly.  Their defense looked shakey at times, leaving lots of space for attackers to run onto them and not handling that very well.  Beyond that they also defended set pieces like U-14's.

On offense w/ Turkey rolling their midfield to CR's side (he had 3 people on him quickly almost every time) Simao proved that he just doesn't quite have it.  He often beat the first defender and then wouldn't find a pass, or his service sucked or he lost it to the 2nd one.  Nuno Gomes should have had a goal if he had the finishing of a top tier national side's striker.  He'll need to be better, both at getting open/staying involved and finishing if they want to beat top teams.  All in all they deserved their win and the goals were both very nice but they didn't immpress me enough to want to put money on them making the final four..

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #511 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:38 AM

David Villa 3 Russia 1. Lot of action. Fun game to watch.

Edit- Spain adds one in injury time. Great game for a neutral fan of offense!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:52:55 AM by WayAbvPar »

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:11 AM

Now that was an entertaining game.  Much better than France's game yesterday. 

Looking forward to Czech-Portugal tomorrow night.
WayAbvPar

Reply #513 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:54 PM

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #514 on: June 10, 2008, 04:16:56 PM

I was impressed that for once they (the Italians) didn't bitch and moan non-stop about some stupid conspiracy against them, and how it was totally unfair. Donadoni knew his team played like crap, and wasn't about to blame one decision for his whole team folding. It's surprising progress from a team I've traditionally had nothing but contempt for.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: June 10, 2008, 04:45:03 PM

I was impressed that for once they (the Italians) didn't bitch and moan non-stop about some stupid conspiracy against them, and how it was totally unfair. Donadoni knew his team played like crap, and wasn't about to blame one decision for his whole team folding. It's surprising progress from a team I've traditionally had nothing but contempt for.

Yeah but that's just because he know's he'll lose his job if they don't get through, so the honesty won't cost him anything extra.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #516 on: June 10, 2008, 04:48:55 PM

Torres is good

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #517 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:01 AM

Yes, yes he is.

My prediction is that Germany wins. Spain's offense is teh awesome, but their back line is suspect. Portugal is full of diving bitches that will fold when their vaginas get tweaked. Italy giving up 3 goals is not a good sign, but they could bounce back. I don't think anyone else is in those team's league, other than maybe France. But I can't pick the French team. I just can't.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:20 AM

I'm going to tie my horses to the Freaky Deaky Dutch. It will be glorious, win or lose :)
WayAbvPar

Reply #519 on: June 11, 2008, 10:55:21 AM

They are always fun to watch, at least until they crap the bed. They are my default Euro team if England/Scotland/Ireland isn't in.

WayAbvPar

Reply #520 on: June 11, 2008, 12:42:43 PM

God, just a heartbreaker for the Swiss. That was a hell of a game.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: June 11, 2008, 03:02:12 PM

A Great day of games. And I felt so bad for the Swiss.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #522 on: June 12, 2008, 08:32:59 AM

Some points:
-I called it right away, Portugal can't defend a fucking corner to save their goddamn lives, this will be their undoing.
-Do feel bad for the Swiss, you wanted to see one of the hosts make it out of group.
-Fuck that ugly blue Turkey has been wearing.
-I still haven't seen the Sweeden v Greece game or highlights, someone want to give thoughts on those teams?
-I don't think the Czech Republic has the overall quality to make a World Cup run, sure lots can change in 2 yrs but I just haven't been immpressed at all.

Here's another bone I have to pick, Villa makes the same facial expressions as CR, he pouts and gesticulates and looks like he's going to cry.  He seems to ask "why me" when the play was only him versus the keeper or the empty net.  Its an Iberian peninsula thing that doesn't bother me in the slightest, they play marvelous football which is all I care about.  The world is full of people who can't do the things they do (hello England national team) or do them with less flash and style.  Yet nobody around here goes on and on about what a fucking terrible twat diving bitch CR is while Villa is just a great striker.  I dont get it.  I think you all are just fucking haters who listen the English media too much and wish he was on your EPL team.

Spain's defense actually looked much worse then Portugal's unless the Russians are as good as some football mags/sites/pundits want me to think.  Also if you ignore the fact that Portugal can't defend a corner to save their lives.  Right now Germany is still a good pick (what I was thinking at the start) but if France finds an attacking edge in their game I think they'll become my pick.

It was an interesting thing I'd never heard before that Spain's national team woes had something to do with beef between Real and Barca players in the past.

-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:43 AM

There was some real underlying tension in the  US effort to play that friendly last year with Catalonia in Barcelona. That it made it as far as it did before it got smacked down is one of the underlying forces that I see continuing to affect not just Spain's national soccer team, but its national identity as well.

That shit's not over down there. A Catalonian Havel leader type could  make for some interesting politics. Alas, wrong forum for that. But  it does fit together so well.

Also, Sweeden and Greece was dreadful and dire until Ibrahimovich  caught a Greek midfielder ball watching and made him pay.

The second goal was just picking weakened locks as the Greeks started to press.

Spain and Portugal have lapses on defense, Portugal's will probably get them kicked out first.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #524 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:28 AM

I think more people bitch about CR is because more people actually SEE him play. The only reason I see Villa play is because Valencia is my Spainish team of choice and I catch them on GolTV whenever I can. AFAIK, Gol is the only outlet to see La Liga in this country and you have to actively seek it out on satellite, whereas Fox Soceer Channel can be gotten on some cable systems. I've always thought Villa looked like the biggest douchebag in the world for his facial expressions, he just isn't in the spotlight. If he was at Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man. U., you'd hear more about him. However, when he scored that second goal against Russia, he ran over to the bench and hugged Torres (who had been subbed out after an hour) in a show of comradeship. That puts him above CR to me.

Also, CR is on Portugal's team, and the only team with more divers is the Italian team and an Olympic diving team.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 2007-08 EPL Thread  
Jump to: