Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 531738 times)
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:51 PM

*edit* delete
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:31:49 PM by jth »
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: April 24, 2011, 03:27:59 AM

Wasn't this society test thingy supposed to be some sort of beta signup? I finally did that shit, and the activation link in the email just points again to that. No on-screen confirmation telling me that my email address has been confirmed.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #877 on: April 24, 2011, 06:11:06 AM

Wasn't this society test thingy supposed to be some sort of beta signup? I finally did that shit, and the activation link in the email just points again to that. No on-screen confirmation telling me that my email address has been confirmed.
There's probably vague hints in the email that'll help you to reach the real signup page if you jump through enough hoops. Ohhhhh, I see.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: April 24, 2011, 06:42:52 AM

God, I love people being intentionally obscure.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:45:46 AM by TripleDES »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #879 on: April 24, 2011, 09:49:49 AM

The society test was just the society test. Public beta hasn't yet started afaik.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:12 AM

It's just an e-mail harvester for those with an interest in the game.  I'll get updates from it every few months when they have something to announce.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #881 on: April 24, 2011, 01:06:20 PM

God, I love people being intentionally obscure.
Sorry, i did consider a diclaimer i was totally making the shit up but in the end thought the idea was absurd enough that it wouldn't need one... swamp poop
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: April 25, 2011, 06:03:11 AM

I thought it was funny, and a good jab at Dark Days marketing strat
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: April 25, 2011, 12:02:15 PM

Sorry, i did consider a diclaimer i was totally making the shit up but in the end thought the idea was absurd enough that it wouldn't need one... swamp poop
With all the ARG bullshit that's so goddamn prevalent, who knows...

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:17 PM

The latest developer diary makes the game look very cool. Every NPC is fully voiced and motion-captured. Different types of quests, including some which involve players going out of the game and finding things out on the net. It looks like players are able to choose what type of quest they want from mission-givers.

You can tell it's using basically the same graphics engine as Conan and the characters look a bit plasticky to me, just like Conan. It's that difficult half-way house between realistic and stylised - not realistic enough to look real, not stylised enough to get away with looking fake. Maybe that's just a personal taste. One good thing about the Conan engine is that it allowed people to see all the different bits of clothing on their characters. If you put on a necklace made of human ears, people will see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJuEQStDHEI
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:04:37 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: May 30, 2011, 02:31:40 PM

I like the idea of searching for information outside the game, but I also think its all going to end up compiled in a guide after the first week of beta and all the "Secrets" of the "secret" world will be meaningless.  Its really cool in theory, but I can't see how it would work in reality.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: May 30, 2011, 03:07:02 PM

The latest developer diary makes the game look very cool. Every NPC is fully voiced and motion-captured.

Yeah for the first 20 levels, I'm sure they will be.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:59 PM

The latest developer diary makes the game look very cool. Every NPC is fully voiced and motion-captured.

Yeah for the first 20 levels, I'm sure they will be.

You may be right but to clarify what I said above, Funcom claim in the film that every single character will be fully voiced.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: May 31, 2011, 01:14:50 PM

So much goddamn talk(/hype), when's the beta?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #889 on: May 31, 2011, 01:41:52 PM

It's a Secret (World).  awesome, for real

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #890 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:50 PM

So much goddamn talk(/hype), when's the beta?

Sometime this year, probably.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:53 PM

It's Funcom so; depends when it launches, the beta will coincidentally start the same day  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: May 31, 2011, 06:38:49 PM

It's Funcom so; depends when it launches, the beta will coincidentally start the same day  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Bah, beat me to the punchline  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #893 on: June 01, 2011, 08:46:55 AM

So, anyone want to take bets on how close to launch the "miracle patch" will hit?  With their third shot at this, they might even get it in before launch and test it!

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: June 01, 2011, 08:50:56 AM

So, anyone want to take bets on how close to launch the "miracle patch" will hit?  With their third shot at this, they might even get it in before launch and test it!

I honestly don't know why they keep trying....their offline single-player adventures are AWESOME.  The Longest Journey should be a keepsake in anyone's collection, and it's follow-up left us all with a cliffhanger, yet they continue to bash their heads on the MMO wall and expect money-hats.

If they could get a hold of a non-fringe, non-cult classic mainstream IP that they could MMO-ify, and then ACTUALLY apply all the things we hope they learned from AO and AoC, they could see great success.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: June 01, 2011, 09:15:18 AM

Thrid time is the charm.  Im guessing they will launch Oct 21...the day the world ends...again 
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #896 on: June 01, 2011, 10:30:56 AM

If they could get a hold of a non-fringe, non-cult classic mainstream IP that they could MMO-ify, and then ACTUALLY apply all the things we hope they learned from AO and AoC, they could see great success.

I disagree. Generally a mainstream IP has only been a hinderance to almost every MMO that has used one. The only successful one I can think of is LOTRO and for me, that could have been a better game if it wasnt constrained by the license.

*Edit*

Also, Conan could be argued wether it is a big IP or not. I would say that it is more widely known to Joe Public than the Warcraft lore was before WoW.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:33:03 AM by Morfiend »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: June 02, 2011, 07:27:47 AM

So, Twitch combat or what?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:13 AM

Newp.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: June 02, 2011, 07:35:41 AM

Meh. Not even faux?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:22 AM

As far as I know?

Newp. 

From what I understand they wanted to have some component for aiming, but eventually moved away from it.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:11 AM

I know things but what little I know is NDAed. What I can say is that the process for beta and development is going to be very different than AoC. If you're wondering whether Funcom learned some lessons from AoC, the answer is very much yes. It remains to be seen if that means a better game, mind you, but they're acutely aware of what's riding on this and the big mistakes on AoC.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22:57 AM

I know things but what little I know is NDAed. What I can say is that the process for beta and development is going to be very different than AoC. If you're wondering whether Funcom learned some lessons from AoC, the answer is very much yes. It remains to be seen if that means a better game, mind you, but they're acutely aware of what's riding on this and the big mistakes on AoC.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

So now the game will be good from level 1 to 30 instead of 1 to 20?   why so serious?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:54 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:53 AM

I thought there was psuedo-aiming in this game.  I'm probably just confused.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: June 05, 2011, 01:31:05 PM

I honestly don't know why they keep trying....their offline single-player adventures are AWESOME.  The Longest Journey should be a keepsake in anyone's collection, and it's follow-up left us all with a cliffhanger, yet they continue to bash their heads on the MMO wall and expect money-hats.

Honestly, I think they have enough in-house IP to run with. AO actually had a pretty great storyline for an MMO.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:22 AM

I adore the setting (enough high fantasy already) though the "mystery"  obviously loses a lot in the conversion to MMO. Still looks like fun.

This Developer diary: Story and Missions was in the latest news-letter. Though this presentation video (part1, part2) which has a lot of info and shows something that looks like a game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:50 AM

The big hurdle (besides Funcom being Funcom) was the WoD MMO. Three years ago I would've said that TSW is dead in the water in the face of a CCP/WoD juggernaut. I've had the last tiny vestige of that thinking purged with this EVE patch. If this game works, they'll have the modern/supernatural niche, and it IS a niche, all to themselves.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #908 on: June 27, 2011, 09:39:40 AM

I really think it hurts them to show such great rendered CGI cinematics alongside their gameplay engine. The animations looks really stiff and MMO-y by comparison.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: June 27, 2011, 11:17:06 AM

Standing in one spot combat with guns bug me to no end. Also, look another fully voiced over MMO game, Nah, thats just crazy talk!  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: