Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 531738 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #770 on: August 27, 2010, 10:09:03 PM

I'm watching this for the setting, but it has been under development for a long time and, well, Funcom. Hopefully the combat plays more dynamically than it looks.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:27 PM

Love the setting & concept and that video didn't turn me off in the slightest.

Character graphics aren't wow'ing me, but heck GW2 isn't blowing me away as far as the avatars are concerned either.

As far as Funcom producing it; at least when they fail, they fail gloriously  why so serious?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: August 28, 2010, 07:17:35 AM

If it were being made by anybody else, I'd say the character models and anims would improve by the time they launch and right now they're just placeholders.  But yeah, Funcom. 

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:31 AM

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #774 on: January 10, 2011, 10:08:38 AM

Heartbreak  just needs PB to now help with the marketing.  I'll still hope for the best.  I like the premise of this game.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:51 PM

I was actually reading their forums looking for signs of life just yesterday. None found though, bereft of both information, activity and any expectation this game is going to be out any time soon.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: January 10, 2011, 02:59:43 PM

I was actually reading their forums looking for signs of life just yesterday. None found though, bereft of both information, activity and any expectation this game is going to be out any time soon.

NDA
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #777 on: January 10, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

But will there be open world PvP? 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: January 10, 2011, 04:26:39 PM

What a tease. I'll take it as "there is a secret world secret beta" because I'm optimistic and love the setting. And hope it's not a case of this game being the one that breaks funcom.

I believe the game intends to have PvP zones (inner-earth), though like everything else details are sketchy.

- Simond
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:23 PM

After the AoC forums I can't blame them for not letting their staff get too involved with the community. These pre-launch forums go on for years and a lot of the long-term posters develop the same sense of entitlement that long-term players of MMOs often acquire, and it doesn't result in good dialogue with the Devs, who frankly just need to get on with making the game.

In short, it may not be a bad thing if the forums are quiet. I'm sure when they are ready they'll drop some more of the clever viral stuff on us.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: January 10, 2011, 04:45:57 PM

No argument at all. But I do wonder why they even bothered to release promo-video's and web teasers then go silent for a substantial amount of time. The original interest has been lost and regaining it becomes harder.

- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #781 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:04 PM

No argument at all. But I do wonder why they even bothered to release promo-video's and web teasers then go silent for a substantial amount of time. The original interest has been lost and regaining it becomes harder.

I appreciated the teasers as well, but I think that I've long lost the original code that looked like a beta key. It all started way too early.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:19 PM

AoC coming out barely cooked and the move to Montreal killed development of TSW for close to two years.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #783 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:59 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:36 PM

I liked one of the comments, summarised it perfectly.

"We haven't said much recently, and we're not saying much now. One day we will! But not today. Hopefully soon! Not now though. And when we do say something, this might be where you read it! not now, obviously, because we've not said anything. but this is us, saying that we're not saying anything. You know, yet."

- Simond
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:57 AM

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/videos/play/1911/The-Secret-World-GDC-Trailer.html

Videos from GDC!  Doesn't look as terrible as I remember it from older videos.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #786 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48:08 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:09 AM

http://www.tswo.pl/aktualnoci/122-funcom-reveala-new-information-about-the-secret-world-at-gdc2011

Polish fan is allowed to have hands on time at GDC. More in-depth than anything by the main gaming press.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: March 10, 2011, 08:00:23 AM

Looking really good.  Heart
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: March 10, 2011, 08:07:32 AM

This could be a contender, as long as the technical issues funcom always has does not hamstring them.

YAY! No levels, no classes! ( But what DO they have? Ohhhhh, I see. )

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:48 AM

Design-wise it's everything I want.  Being a modern setting makes me happy, too.  It's sounding really good.

Now if someone could take this concept and apply it to a Shadowrun world...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #791 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:35 AM

This isn't old, is it? 20 minutes video about character progression:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/96296/page/2

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: March 10, 2011, 09:24:18 AM

IS it twitch though? With the guns? ( Ala Fallen earth even? )

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:32 AM

This could be a contender, as long as the technical issues funcom always has does not hamstring them.

YAY! No levels, no classes! ( But what DO they have? Ohhhhh, I see. )

They have a deck of skills (active and passive) from which you choose 14, seven of which you clickyclickyclicky (from massively article) - "... Funcom is gifting players with 500 unique skills, which Martin Bruusgaard says are truly unique and not three- or four-rank variations on the same skill. The skills are divided into actives and passives, with seven of each being available to players at any given time."

They have roles (from massively article) - "Characters in The Secret World will be able to spec into any of the traditional roles available in other MMORPGs including tanks, DPS types, healers, and of course, a huge number of customizable hybrids."   Heartbreak
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:34 AM

Looking really good.  Heart

Yes, it does. I loved AO despite it's shortcomings, and the one thing I have faith in FC to do is to create a diverse and interesting world. Hopefully they have beefed up the more technical side of their skills.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15:22 AM

Yeah after I typed that I went to do my own research. Sounds sexy.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:22 AM

Looks great graphically.  Still has that 'hitch' or 'freeze' in gameplay that still plagues Age of Conan.  Seems more magnified in TSW though, but it could just be the video.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:57 AM

Good gawd.  No fucking elves, modern setting, no classes/levels.  The description sounds like a dream come true.  The investigations thing sounds really interesting, in particular.  As does the 'no visible gear' bit.  Hopefully, they'll go balls to the wall with the appearance items.

Of course, I've seen a million and one articles about a game's features that sound really cool, and end up being complete ass on release, so we'll see what we will see.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #798 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:38 PM

so this is a 2011 release on PC and XBOX? 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #799 on: March 10, 2011, 03:11:54 PM

The GDC trailer looked a shitton better than other videos I've seen on this game. But the combat still suffers from looking like MMOG combat with guns, which is visually silly looking. Based on Funcom's previous experience, this is definitely one of those "I ain't buying it 'til I can trial it first" so either beta or a free trial.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #800 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:29 PM

so this is a 2011 release on PC and XBOX? 

If they haven't announced beta, let's hope the answer is "No".

Looked at the link, which suggests beta starting in in May / June. I also found this interesting:

Additionally, many of the missions will take months to decipher (with more waiting in the wings), and the game's three factions will also be pitted against one another in the race to solve the mysteries first and earn the resulting bonuses. Bylos likens the mechanic to "an alternative form of raiding" and says that the investigative missions, when coupled with the action missions that occur in the game's open and persistent spaces, will create a play environment unique in the MMO space.

Screams "problems with faction imbalance" to me, as the larger factions end up having more brains working on the same problems.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #801 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:27 PM

I need to change my shorts.

On the faction unbalancing thing however, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem unless one faction seriously outnumbers the other two.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #802 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:25 AM

I need to change my shorts.

On the faction unbalancing thing however, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem unless one faction seriously outnumbers the other two.

It depends how the bonuses work out, and if early wins for one faction lead to more players joining that faction which in turn means they win more bonuses that attract more players.

And besides, it's Funcom. I'll believe it when I can see it.

apop
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:05 AM

If they haven't announced beta, let's hope the answer is "No".

Looked at the link, which suggests beta starting in in May / June.

According to some norwegian sites and newspapers a small closed beta will start in two to three weeks time.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:10 AM

Hopefully, they'll go balls to the wall with the appearance items.
If they were, they would have shown it off. For bragging rights alone.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: