Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 07:16:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 533342 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: September 06, 2009, 11:50:28 AM

Illuminati
schild
Administrator

Reply #456 on: September 06, 2009, 06:43:55 PM

Yea, whatup, me and LC here are going to grief all you fuckers with SECRETS.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: September 06, 2009, 06:58:22 PM

Dragon.

It's almost too easy to "pick" what team you'll end up on by answering the questions, since there are only 3 options anyways.  Not that I was trying mind you, Illuminati might have been cool too.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #458 on: September 06, 2009, 07:27:20 PM

Yea, whatup, me and LC here are going to grief all you fuckers with SECRETS.

Sumbitch, you read my mind.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #459 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:56 PM

The closed door presentation info is embargoed until the 10th, so come this Thursday we should be seeing a bit more.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: September 08, 2009, 11:14:07 AM

Dragon.

Am I the only one surprised by that this hasn't yet been re-branded as World of Darkness Online?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: September 08, 2009, 11:19:54 AM

Not really, no, given that CCP owns the rights to that and is making it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #462 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:21 PM

Dragon.

Am I the only one surprised by that this hasn't yet been re-branded as World of Darkness Online?

I hope so, WoD has so much less to offer, IMO.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #463 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:58 PM

14 pages in a thread for a FUNCOM game?

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #464 on: September 08, 2009, 02:00:33 PM

14 pages in a thread for a FUNCOM game?

Wii.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #465 on: September 08, 2009, 02:06:21 PM

Indeed.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: September 08, 2009, 02:12:08 PM

Not really, no, given that CCP owns the rights to that and is making it.

*smackhead*

Probably shows you how enthused I was about WoD. ¬_¬

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: September 08, 2009, 02:15:18 PM

Dragon.

You need to get off that meth boi.  WoD has so much less to offer?   Ohhhhh, I see.
It's only the most successful Pen and Paper IP (aside from DnD) ever.  And I mean ever ever.  People LARP it all around the world and some of the writing is studied in lit. courses, not to mention the vanilla table setting.
People have been clamoring for a WoD MMO for years and I can honestly say it's the one IP where only an MMO would do justice.  Out of all the IPs for every MMO ever, an argument can be made that WoD is ultimately the best setting for any MMO to be developed in.  The be-all-end-all if done correctly.  (good luck with that though)

Did I misinterpret your post or something?  sarcasm maybe?  'cause it doesnt make sense.  WoD has less to offer than some mystery generic transhuman horror game done by Funcom?  really?  cmon now.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #468 on: September 08, 2009, 02:22:05 PM

Considering how storyteller centric white wolf games are, I really don't know how the feel of them will translate into MMOdom.  However, I remember playing (Freak Legion?) or something, where you were essentially these doomed mutants.  I remember my eyeball running away with skittersight only to be stomped on by a werewolf.  That was probably the most fun I've ever had with a white wolf game.  The rest of it was hit or miss trying to twist out a good game in spite of the mechanics.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:57 PM

I loved WoD, but only because of the GM and players.

There's a lot of faux history that's fun to play with given a good group, but if we're being honest most of the published stuff is bad wankery.  Their lead creative guy hated the setting.  That's why they did the revamp.  I sat in multiple panels at different cons where Achilli bitched about it.

So it could be fun if given the right people, I'll withold judgement until I see a product, but Surly isn't necessarily far off the mark.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:55 PM

All the angst-ridden Twilight-like emo-goth storyteller stuff is for the birds (pre-revamp).  But the rest of the stuff would make a great MMO.  It'd obviously have to be RP-centric, but seriously...  it'd be a damned good game if done right and contained the entire WoD; new stuff in particular like Changeling and the new Vamp, etc.  Shit though, I'd be happy if there was just a Vampire vs. Werewolf WoD MMO.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: September 08, 2009, 02:44:23 PM

It used to be funny flipping through the books seeing how many different versions of Rasputin you could find

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: September 08, 2009, 02:47:19 PM

I was actually hoping this Funcom thing would be more along the lines of a Transhuman type game, but it seems like they're just going for some kind of generic mystery-horror Resident Evil thing.

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: September 08, 2009, 03:00:19 PM

I wonder how long they intend this ARG and rendered trailer to keep going.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #474 on: September 08, 2009, 03:09:11 PM

Dragon.

You need to get off that meth boi.  WoD has so much less to offer?   Ohhhhh, I see.
It's only the most successful Pen and Paper IP (aside from DnD) ever.  And I mean ever ever.  People LARP it all around the world and some of the writing is studied in lit. courses, not to mention the vanilla table setting.
People have been clamoring for a WoD MMO for years and I can honestly say it's the one IP where only an MMO would do justice.  Out of all the IPs for every MMO ever, an argument can be made that WoD is ultimately the best setting for any MMO to be developed in.  The be-all-end-all if done correctly.  (good luck with that though)

Did I misinterpret your post or something?  sarcasm maybe?  'cause it doesnt make sense.  WoD has less to offer than some mystery generic transhuman horror game done by Funcom?  really?  cmon now.

Fuck yes it does. Like a lot of other people here have said, the lure of WoD was the GM and the players. I used to run my players through some insane shit and they loved it, That won't translate as well to an MMO as either of us hopes it will.

That said, all things being equal, I'll still take me some good, old-fashioned Cthulhuesque fight shit 'til you're insane fun over angsty vampires, werewolves, mages or changelings any day of the week.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:20:40 PM by Surlyboi »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:33 PM

The skeletal structure of the old WoD was a phenomenal feat of RPG meta plot engineering. To dismiss it wholesale because your greatest PnP wish is to have your eyeball chased by a werewolf says far more about how you spent you Cheeto stained nights and less about White Wolf's heyday.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: September 08, 2009, 03:37:28 PM

The skeletal structure of the old WoD was a phenomenal feat of RPG meta plot engineering. To dismiss it wholesale because your greatest PnP wish is to have your eyeball chased by a werewolf says far more about how you spent you Cheeto stained nights and less about White Wolf's heyday.
I'm sorry, the angst-ridden psycho lounge is over to your right.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:25 PM

I'm sorry, the angst-ridden psycho lounge is over to your right.

I'll have to get directions from the guy whose fondest memory of WoD was the book dedicated to playing PCs whose sole purpose was raping and maiming people. Freak Legion was the most puerile, 13 year old power fantasy book they ever released. To repeat: your view of this demonstrates everything about you, not about White Wolf or the intrinsic creative value of what they were doing in a macro sense.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: September 08, 2009, 03:53:16 PM

Issues much?  I played the game once and the GM from the start told us the whole point was to die, and he issued prizes on who died the most creatively.

Which reinforces the point: White Wolf's strong points were the GMs and the players, and had little to do with the actual source material beyond vague guidelines. 

But don't let me stop you from frothing. 

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: September 08, 2009, 03:55:11 PM

Let's walk through this slowly. What do you think drove White Wolf to heights never seen for a PnP game (excepting D&D) during the late 90s when the larger traditional gaming public is both extremely picky and fickle?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: September 08, 2009, 03:57:42 PM

Seeing as how WoD was about the GM and the players and most MMO closet-designers have always said the best MMOs have/and will be for, by, and about the players... it goes w/o saying that WoD would make a great TRUE MMO.  I'm not talking about the prior shittastic MMO schedule B that we're used to; I'm talking about something different.  For Gods' sakes, of course WoD would suck ported into the usual suspects of MMO design.

Now, your Lovecraftian horror stuff would, like you said, translate better into the current mold of MMO - and probably make it better if done right.  But WoD would require a different animal... errr, many different animals vivisected together.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: September 08, 2009, 03:58:03 PM

Teenage Angst

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: September 08, 2009, 04:00:32 PM

Let's walk through this slowly. What do you think drove White Wolf to heights never seen for a PnP game (excepting D&D) during the late 90s when the larger traditional gaming public is both extremely picky and fickle?

Interview with A Vampire  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
j/k  nah, WoD is still growing tremendously right now actually.  It's a nice product.  One can say it singlehandedly allowed decent looking women to join the gametable. 

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: September 08, 2009, 04:01:23 PM

Teenage Angst

See, right here? I know you're not interested in having an actual discussion and instead wanted to talk about how rad your old gaming group was.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: September 08, 2009, 04:07:16 PM

No, I'm not interested in having an "actual discussion" with you.  I'm too busy reminiscing about my "Cheeto stained nights."

If you want to have a serious discussion, don't start it by being a dick.  I'm sorry I maligned your holy grail by not particularly liking the mechanics of White Wolf systems.  Get over it.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: September 08, 2009, 04:33:50 PM

Touched a nerve, huh? And who talked about systems?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: September 08, 2009, 05:04:09 PM

Vampirenerdsparkleslapfight!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #487 on: September 08, 2009, 05:06:22 PM

If I knew about this I totally would have checked it out at PAX, oh well.

Ragnar says there are too many Dragons.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: September 08, 2009, 05:15:50 PM

Vampirenerdsparkleslapfight!

You know this.

I don't think ANY of this sort of thing lends itself to standard diku style stuff. So while we don't know what CCP is going to do with the WoD MMO (and I have a suspicion it turns out to be extremely expensive vaporware and WW ends up getting cut loose again five years from now) we know that CCP isn't terribly interested in doing diku. Which is good because even if EVE is not for me I can appreciate that it's different.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #489 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:06 PM

Teenage Angst

It paid off well. So I hear.

A WoD MMO needs to bring the drama. Under CCP's wing, I'm sure it will. As for TSW, we'll see - there's still a good chance it will be a MMO with great lore and game mechanics that were polished by Funcom.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: