Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 02:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1123289 times)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1750 on: April 03, 2013, 10:41:14 PM

I highly recommend against clicking any.  Probably 75-90% of the people here watching the show have read the books.
Wasn't there a thread for book discussions ?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1751 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:16 PM

If I hadn't read the books and wanted to avoid having the TV show spoiled, I'd just stay off the Internet entirely.  Daily I'm tempted to post a massive dump of spoilers on Facebook just out of sheer horrible why so serious?.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:45:57 PM by Samwise »
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1752 on: April 04, 2013, 12:08:29 AM

I dunno if this has been posted.

Yup, he was in Batman Rises. Damn you BATMAN!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1753 on: April 04, 2013, 06:02:54 AM

I highly recommend against clicking any.  Probably 75-90% of the people here watching the show have read the books.
Wasn't there a thread for book discussions ?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm with this guy.  Discussion of the TV show is stopped since I haven't read the books.  There is a lot less book discussion/spoilerage in TWD, so I know you shitclowns can restrain yourselves if you try.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1754 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:34 AM

The problem is that it's actually interesting to discuss how they're going to adapt certain parts of these books to the screen (like when Tyrion drinks the ent-draught and grows six feet tall, are they going to change actors or use CGI tricks?), and discussion of that follows more naturally in the thread about the show than in the thread about just the books.  I'm with the "if you don't want spoilers maybe don't click spoiler links" crowd.  :P
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:33 AM

If something is hidden behind spoiler tags, I'd highly recommend not clicking it if you don't want to see any spoilers.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1756 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:39 AM

C'mon Sam, you know the Ent-drought isn't in because we haven't seen the wolfkin at all.  That whole subplot was just a distraction from the Jamie-Cersi-Shae love triangle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1757 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:57 AM

But it was vital to his character arc!  I have faith they'll find a way to work it in.  It's not like this show is being produced by that hack fraud Peter Jackson.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1758 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:04 AM

Well, thanks a lot for that. I guess I can't click any spoilers in this thread.

Well, I DID put it in spoilers... which you know, it is a spoiler. It just happens to be a spoiler for an event that will likely happen at the end of season 4.

But yeah, I wouldn't click on spoilers in this thread if you haven't read the books and/or don't want anything spoiled.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: April 04, 2013, 09:37:24 AM

I don't understand why someone who does not want to be spoiled would ever click on something clearly labeled "spoiler".  Seriously, you are just ruining the show for yourself at this point.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1760 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:49 AM

I've promised myself I won't read ahead, but that's going to get harder if they start mixing and matching stuff from different books into the same seasons.  I understand why it needs to be done, it's just going to make it harder to keep my promise. For example, I apparently can't read the 3rd book until we're well into the 4th season, maybe the 5th?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1761 on: April 04, 2013, 10:32:38 AM

Storm of Swords should be done by the end of Season 4.  They're really not mixing and matching from different books all that much right now.  They did a little at the end of both seasons, but it was pretty minimal considering the amount of material.

Feast and Dance will be tough for you to not read ahead though because chronologically they take place during the same time, until the end of Dance.  Those two books are going to be mashed together in Season 5, and probably 6.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1762 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:32 AM

Feast and Dance will be tough for you to not read ahead though because chronologically they take place during the same time, until the end of Dance.  Those two books are going to be mashed together in Season 5, and probably 6.

Ya if you are trying to read along with the series Feast and Dance will probably be best read together.
Martin at one point claimed you could interleave the chapters for both books for effective reading.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1763 on: April 04, 2013, 11:17:32 AM

Ya if you are trying to read along with the series Feast and Dance will probably be best read together.
Martin at one point claimed you could interleave the chapters for both books for effective reading.

Feast and Dance were originally supposed to be one book.  When he realized he'd have to split it out because it was too goddamn long, he couldn't figure out how to split it by time, so he split it by character.  Interleaving the chapters from the two books would be the way to reconstruct the "single" book that he had in his head.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: April 04, 2013, 11:27:51 AM

Well, thanks a lot for that. I guess I can't click any spoilers in this thread.

Well, I DID put it in spoilers... which you know, it is a spoiler. It just happens to be a spoiler for an event that will likely happen at the end of season 4.

But yeah, I wouldn't click on spoilers in this thread if you haven't read the books and/or don't want anything spoiled.

^This. I haven't read the books, and I read spoilers. I've found out a couple of things - 1) I won't remember these spoilers by the time they get to it in the books 2) If I did remember the spoilers, there is still a chance it may play out differently anyways, so fuck it.

Semi-off topic side note - I went to my chiropracter on Monday morning. He said his he and his wife decided to record GoT and watch the Walking Dead but he only wanted one spoiler - did they show any Daen ta-tas. This let me know I was in the right place
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:30:36 AM by Segoris »
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #1765 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:23 AM

Awwww.. no "Kingsssthlayer".   I wanted to see how they pulled off Hoat.  Guess I won't.

Bummer.  I really wanted to hear "You thlew my bear!"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: April 04, 2013, 12:23:51 PM

I've promised myself I won't read ahead, but that's going to get harder if they start mixing and matching stuff from different books into the same seasons.  I understand why it needs to be done, it's just going to make it harder to keep my promise. For example, I apparently can't read the 3rd book until we're well into the 4th season, maybe the 5th?

--Dave

I'd wait till the end of this season then just say fuck it, and read everything. Feast and Dances are much slower paced and more interesting to discuss than as page turners.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1767 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:28 PM

Awwww.. no "Kingsssthlayer".   I wanted to see how they pulled off Hoat.  Guess I won't.

Bummer.  I really wanted to hear "You thlew my bear!"

this.  also when i saw the bear in the season previews I can swear i squealed like a girl.  at work.   swamp poop

*Should be working*
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:48 PM

Plus since Feast and Dance kind of suck, the more that Seasons 5 onward (if they get that far, which I think they will) bear at best loose resemblance to the books, the better for all of us.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1769 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:23 AM

I don't understand why someone who does not want to be spoiled would ever click on something clearly labeled "spoiler".  Seriously, you are just ruining the show for yourself at this point.
Well, there are TV-show spoilers and book spoilers. Up until now I had the impression that people would mark spoilers that go beyond what was shown on TV. Because I really like to read (and maybe even participate) in the discussion here in this thread, but it is kind of hard if all I am allowed to read is

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1770 on: April 05, 2013, 05:09:52 AM

I never spoiler anything involving the TV show.  Its a thread on the TV show, so if its been aired, then its free game to discuss IMO.  The only thing to put in spoilers IS info from the books.  Or at least thats how I've been treating this thread.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1771 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:49 AM

If I had anything to say around this place *wishful sigh* people wouldn't discuss the books in this thread!

I mean Segoris said he forgets what he reads, but I clicked Heamish's spoiler and how I am supposed to forget that Person X will become Y...?

But keep spoilering stuff, one day when the revolution comes you'll be all up against the virtual wall. All of you!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1772 on: April 05, 2013, 07:54:23 AM

It's a issue of timeliness.  I don't click a spoiler in TWD if I haven't caught up to the latest episode.  Once I'm up to date, I can read what's in there with no issues.  Here, not so.  I might be able to join a delightful discussion of how stupid John Snow is, or I might learn something that hasn't happened yet in the show.  If there were separate "TV Show Spoiler" and "Book Spoiler" tags, I wouldn't be in this predicament.

As the book-readers say, though, I should just avoid the entire discussion if I want to enjoy anything.

I never spoiler anything involving the TV show.  Its a thread on the TV show, so if its been aired, then its free game to discuss IMO.  The only thing to put in spoilers IS info from the books.  Or at least thats how I've been treating this thread.

Jeez.  Even with a DVR I can't always watch a show during the week it airs.  Hell, I watched both GoT and TWD well after the seasons started and was happier for it.  I'd love to have the time to waste sitting on a sofa waiting for the boob tube to feed me entertainment on its schedule, but I don't.  My schedule or GTFO.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:00 AM

That's the freaking point, if you don't want to be spoiled for whatever reason, whether they be because you haven't watched the show or read the books, you don't click on spoilers! instead of assuming other people's definitions of spoilers are the same as your own.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1774 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:38 AM

That's the freaking point, if you don't want to be spoiled for whatever reason, whether they be because you haven't watched the show or read the books, you don't click on spoilers! instead of assuming other people's definitions of spoilers are the same as your own.

Yeah, this. My apologies for spoiling what I did. I just assumed that if you clicked on spoilers in this thread, you'd find out stuff from the books as well as the movies. Hell, I found out about

by clicking a spoiler in this thread. I didn't find out what it was or how it came about just the name. When I came to that part in the book, I still had a serious OH SHIT moment. That scene affected me for days afterwards, moreso than Ned Stark's death or anything else that has happened in the series up to that point.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:06 AM

A good story is a good story whether you know some plot points ahead of time or not.  I can't wait till the internet gets over this whole spoiler bullshit.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1776 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:51 AM

A recent study indicated that people actually enjoyed stories more if they were spoiled with the plot points beforehand. One theory is that by knowing the broad strokes, they were better able to relax and enjoy the crafted story instead of trying to follow along and decipher what may or may not occur.

So with that-

e- http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/07/26/157430614/it-was-all-a-dream-or-turns-out-spoilers-are-good-for-you

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1777 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:08 AM

moreso than Ned Stark's death

omg spoiler!

j/k

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:45 AM

Yeah, this. My apologies for spoiling what I did. I just assumed that if you clicked on spoilers in this thread, you'd find out stuff from the books as well as the movies. Hell, I found out about

by clicking a spoiler in this thread. I didn't find out what it was or how it came about just the name. When I came to that part in the book, I still had a serious OH SHIT moment. That scene affected me for days afterwards, moreso than Ned Stark's death or anything else that has happened in the series up to that point.

WTF? Ned Stark dies? Spoiler that shit man. :}

Edit: Dammit Yeg. Teach me to finish the whole thread before posting.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:09:23 AM by Phred »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1779 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:27 AM

We should do as AVClub does and have two threads, one for "veterans" than have read the books and one for "noobies" that have not where book spoilers are verboten.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

Personally I prefer GoT having read the books already.

The majority of the actors are putting in properly subtle performances that continually reference things that are only explained later or not at all in the TV series, like watching a play or an opera there is so much more to appreciate if you are watching the performance rather than the story.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1781 on: April 06, 2013, 03:41:11 AM

Can I also remind you that some of us have had great fun in these threads despite the shows not airing in our vicinity at the same time.  Hence, Spoilers.

Most of the shows that attempt to synchronise are at least a week out.

It's not like I spoil Dr Who for you all by telling you Moffats written another stinker.  Whoops, maybe I do.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: April 07, 2013, 06:43:56 PM

I forget which show I saw this, but I liked the idea and I tend to stick with it. Basically, it suggested using a spoiler for one week after an episode airs, after that the content in that episode is fair game. That is a reasonable amount of time to allow for all time zones and keeps everything in one thread. Book shit stays spoilered until one week after the content has aired as well, if it doesn't get aired then use your best judgement if it will or would not be cut entirely from the show (as it seems some things are).

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1783 on: April 07, 2013, 07:06:20 PM

If you put both book and tv spoilers in spoilers then non book readers are not going to be able to read anything.

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1784 on: April 07, 2013, 07:45:11 PM

What had happened at Harrenhal in S03E01? The Mountain's prisoners when Tywin left seemed to be a bunch of local peasants. Many were women and children. Did The Mountain capture another 200 Northmen?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: