Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 03:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 561535 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2485 on: October 13, 2011, 01:59:48 PM

It's not useless to show you that the people exist. I'm not really concerned when the kills come.

Even by that logic they were 25-30% down on the numbers of guilds beating T11 stuff.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2486 on: October 13, 2011, 02:21:49 PM

It's not useless to show you that the people exist. I'm not really concerned when the kills come.

Even by that logic they were 25-30% down on the numbers of guilds beating T11 stuff.

When a data point is from and from what population are critical to understanding it.  Especially as you were trying to juxtapose it with a very unique survey from MMO-C.

The type of player who would go in and kill a few bosses in ICC just to check it out before the new expansion rolls around isn't terribly relevant to designing normal/heroic raids.  (It is very relevant to LFR though.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2487 on: October 14, 2011, 05:28:25 AM

I just looked at that chart.  I found the numbers for people who have defeated heroic mode even more disgusting.   2,500 characters out of 2.7million even after 2 and a half months?  That can't even be called difficulty.   I'm sure the "I believe I should have access to top end gear" segment isn't the biggest in the world but restricting that content to less than .1 percent is taking things too far.   It'd be fine the first month but numbers should start ramping up quickly after that.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2488 on: October 14, 2011, 06:03:24 AM

I just looked at that chart.  I found the numbers for people who have defeated heroic mode even more disgusting.   2,500 characters out of 2.7million even after 2 and a half months?  That can't even be called difficulty.   I'm sure the "I believe I should have access to top end gear" segment isn't the biggest in the world but restricting that content to less than .1 percent is taking things too far.   It'd be fine the first month but numbers should start ramping up quickly after that.

You are the 99%

#OccupyOrgrimmar
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2489 on: October 14, 2011, 06:08:07 AM

Heroic mode has always been a travesty when it comes to the total raider pop.

Heroic Sinestra only has a 2.28% kill rate on Wowprogress out of 72,000 tracked guilds.

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #2490 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:40 AM

I tried to do the ticket thing a few weeks ago and they said the item had been deleted too long ago.  It could be that I didn't word it properly, however, as I specifically asked for an item restoration instead of a quest reward replacement.

If they treat it as just a deleted item, then they look to see if they have a record of you holding it, and they don't keep that for stuff that happened years ago. If you make it clear that it's a quest item that you deleted, then they just look to see if you completed the quest, which is tracked permanently. I think they're also more lenient on restoring quest rewards since you can't just go back and grind the item out again the way you can with a drop. I'd try again making it clear that you're looking to get a quest reward replaced.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2491 on: October 14, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

Is it wrong that I hate people for submitting tickets for that kind of shit?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2492 on: October 14, 2011, 09:54:46 AM

Heroic mode has always been a travesty when it comes to the total raider pop.

Heroic Sinestra only has a 2.28% kill rate on Wowprogress out of 72,000 tracked guilds.
Heroic BoT is still as hard or harder than Heroic FL, because it (along with H BWD and H T4W) never received a giant nerf.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2493 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:40 AM

Honestly, I can't care at all about tiny amounts of people doing heroic mode, that's what it is there for.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2494 on: October 14, 2011, 11:30:39 AM

Most of the other T11 Heroic bosses aren't so bad just because their mechanics are more conducive to being overgeared.  Heroic Cho'gall for example was pretty easy even for our (6/7H) group that hadn't done the normal version in a while (so interrupts weren't fantastic).

Sinestra though, I couldn't help but laugh during some of the terrible attempts we put in on her.  She's not cheap or anything either, just genuinely difficult.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2495 on: October 14, 2011, 02:34:46 PM

You are the 99%

#OccupyOrgrimmar

Psst.  You're off by an entire order of magnitude.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2496 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:31 PM

You are the 99%

#OccupyOrgrimmar

The joke, you are missing it.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2497 on: October 14, 2011, 02:46:36 PM

You are the 99%

#OccupyOrgrimmar

yeh, watch the news...oh wait they are not covering it.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2498 on: October 14, 2011, 02:49:00 PM

It wasn't a joke.  It was an ad hominem attack on my comment.   In other words worthless drivel.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2499 on: October 14, 2011, 02:50:09 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2500 on: October 14, 2011, 02:55:49 PM

Brilliantly uninformed, that boy.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2501 on: October 14, 2011, 02:57:07 PM

Brava.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2502 on: October 14, 2011, 03:00:10 PM

I think you over-estimate how much effort Blizzard puts into their heroic modes. Stuff like Heroic Rag and Sinestra probably takes a good deal of work from them. The rest of the fights? We're talking about maybe 1-2 new mechanics. Often it's something simple like managing an extra debuff, dealing with extra damage, or a new add (with an identical model to the others). In that sense, it's not a huge 'waste' for blizzard to have low completion rates on heroic fights, because it didn't take them tons of resources to make in the first place. The normal modes contain the majority of the work, and Blizzard needs to be concerned when those see low completion rates there (well, at least when there is nothing else worth doing in the game to keep people subscribed).
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2503 on: October 14, 2011, 03:31:07 PM

It wasn't a joke.  It was an ad hominem attack on my comment.   In other words worthless drivel.

The weird thing is I complete agreed with your statements, this is come from someone who was there for almost every world first BWL kill, in the guild with the world first AQ gates opening (Fury, Medhiv), and i ran a server first guild thru the end of WOTLK to per 4.1. I think that having content that a mere fraction of a percent of your customer base has access to is bad design. But yeh it was a joke that had nothing to do with attacking your point of view more a play on the percents that your quoted and recent events (Psst Google occupy wall street.)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2504 on: October 14, 2011, 03:41:23 PM

Brilliantly uninformed, that boy.

Please inform me then.   My comment is equated to a much derided occupation of Wall Street.   The comment also implies I must be one of have nots whining for my "share".   I might even be honest and agree that's correct on some levels.   That doesn't change the fact that it's an Ad hominem attack though.  Knowing all this is how I conclude it's an Ad hominem attack in the first place.

I don't care that much but calling it a joke is incorrect so I stated such.

The weird thing is I complete agreed with your statements, this is come from someone who was there for almost every world first BWL kill, in the guild with the world first AQ gates opening (Fury, Medhiv), and i ran a server first guild thru the end of WOTLK to per 4.1.

If you didn't mean it as an Ad hominem then I guess it just came across wrong.   Lack of context is just making it look bad in my eyes I guess.  I've been following the wall street thing since before the macings so it sounded like an unfavorable comparison.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:48:05 PM by Amaron »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2505 on: October 14, 2011, 03:47:31 PM

Facepalm

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2506 on: October 14, 2011, 03:56:09 PM

I want to hug this latest page.

God Save the Horn Players
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2507 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:02 PM

I want to hug this latest page.

With a pillow.....tightly.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #2508 on: October 14, 2011, 09:12:11 PM

Numbers don't win us anything. They don't win you anything. Conversations are worth having - ones based on experiences and feelings. We know what the numbers say, but they don't mean anything if you are still unhappy with your enjoyment of the game and your perception of its direction.You're spot on, and while we were coming to some of those same realizations not too long ago, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your outlook) it's not something we realized in time for Dragon Soul. But we do plan to act on those realizations before too long.

Blizzard saying "These are not the droids you are looking for".

Too bad we are room fool of Toydarians.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2509 on: October 15, 2011, 06:06:45 AM

Where is that quote from?  Is it real?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2510 on: October 15, 2011, 06:13:16 AM

It's real.  Was on MMO Champ's front page this morning when I went to go look for it.

Blue Tracker: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/202894/135-of-all-wow-players-completed-normal-fl

Full Quote

Firelands Raid Completion
As others have pointed out, your 1.35% is just wrong due to the stats MMO is stating, but whatever, we’re not going to reveal any of our internal numbers to show how wrong you are, or discount the numbers posted on MMO for that matter. I will say they’re likely as accurate as they can be. Meaning, they’re wrong, but at no fault of theirs simply due to the data they have available to them. While we do have data we pull and review very regularly, it’s not always a true measure of success or failure without considering the context.

We try and make content for all of our players. It’s both a blessing and a curse that the WoW player base is as large and diverse as it is. “Hardcore” players for example tend to dramatically underestimate the skill gap between themselves and the vast majority of other players. A lot of games handle this problem through multiple difficulty settings. That is harder to do in a game as content rich as World of Warcraft, but it is something we’re looking at more and more with new features like Raid Finder essentially adding a more accessible setting.

But even with a system (we believe) as awesome as the Raid Finder, there are no simple solutions.

Players are motivated to raid (and do any content for that matter) for a lot of different reasons. A sizeable number of players are satisfied with seeing most of the game content once. If they kill the dragon or slay the Lich King, they (appropriately) feel like they have won the game. That view is pretty heretical to the traditional raider, who is used to working for weeks to defeat a boss and then spending the next few weeks or months farming that boss so that their group has a leg up for the next tier of content. Other players can be motivated by gear, and once they accrue their rewards they are done with the content. Others are motivated by the challenge, and if things are too easy, they lose interest. These players also tend to assume that everyone shares their mindset and they will be happy to wipe on a fight over and over and over with hopes of improving. In reality, we know from data that a lot of players might be willing to wipe a few times, and then after that, they’re done raiding and potentially even playing. It might be easy to dismiss those players and argue raiding is not for them, but that’s not really our design goal. Raids represent an enormous commitment of developer resources. In the same way that we would never make 20 new Arenas just for Gladiator-level players, we don’t want to develop a raid that only 2% of our raiders can see. We will make sure that there are challenging encounters for players who enjoy that sort of thing (as many of us professional game developers do), but then our goal will be to, over time, broaden the potential audience by bringing the content difficulty down. We think the shock with Firelands for some players was that the nerfs were so severe instead of gradual. For the 4.3 Dragon Soul raid we plan on gradually nerfing it over time, sort of like we did with Icecrown Citadel, except by nerfing the content instead of buffing the players.

There is another portion of players that are just not interested in raiding no matter how accessible it is, and that’s fine too, but we do keep track of how player behavior in the past may match player behavior currently or even in the future as we make these choices. Overall our goals are to ultimately get as many people seeing and downing Deathwing as saw the end of Naxxramas in Wrath of the Lich King. That’s not all going to be day 1 of the patch, or even in the first month, but with the Raid Finder and gradual lowering of content we think we can create that initial super high barrier to test the true worth of the hardest of the hardcore, while also providing some fun and accessible content to a much wider swath of players.

Yeah, we need to offer a lot of different kinds of content so that non-raiders still have things to do, or even for raiders to do on off nights. The Molten Front dailies were really popular for several weeks, but like all content, players eventually move on. We hope the DMF and even Transmog will provide some non-raid focused activities in 4.3, but beyond that we have plans to do a lot more. And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like :D and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The point of not divulging statistics is that they are only one part of what drives overall goals and development. Unfortunately, the fundamental truth is that people put too much behind numbers (case in point, posts in this thread and a couple other dozen that sprung up because of the MMO post), and will build entire cases on them alone with no thought for context or meaning.

Bottom line is that no matter what numbers we show you, it's not going to make any situations 'better'. From time to time we show StarCraft II players literal win/loss %, as accurate as they can possibly be pulled from the source itself, and they're either ignored (because players simply don't want to believe their experiences are "wrong") or laughed at as being some underhanded plot to feed them misinformation.

Numbers don't win us anything. They don't win you anything. Conversations are worth having - ones based on experiences and feelings. We know what the numbers say, but they don't mean anything if you are still unhappy with your enjoyment of the game and your perception of its direction.You're spot on, and while we were coming to some of those same realizations not too long ago, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your outlook) it's not something we realized in time for Dragon Soul. But we do plan to act on those realizations before too long. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2511 on: October 15, 2011, 07:03:04 AM

As a man who deals entirely in numbers for a living, that statement is the most blatant bullshit I've ever heard. Numbers are truth. Numbers are data. Numbers such as the amount of people who actually went into a raid and then summarily completed it would quash any arguments people have about the openness of content. Numbers reveal the situation for those who want to find it. There's a reason that companies are required by law to report their numbers to the public on a quarterly basis.

The problem is that MMO champs numbers are probably very close or the overall numbers are even worse from Blizzard internally.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2512 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:38 AM

The problem isn't numbers, it's properly understanding what the numbers mean.  So yeah, if you can't understand them, they're meaningless.  Numerical analysis isn't exactly a skill most people, even devs, possess.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2513 on: October 15, 2011, 09:11:17 AM

Meaningless and misunderstood are quite different things.

Now saying, "Your stats are wrong but we are not going to tell you why or how" is truly meaningless.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2514 on: October 15, 2011, 10:27:05 AM

I'm going to go with 'Who Cares?'

Due to recent hacking, I have a month of play and it's exactly the same.  It's just not going to change at this stage and those fooling themselves that it will are insane.

For me, I'm holding out for another game.  Nothing's grabbing me yet tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2515 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:56 AM

Meaningless and misunderstood are quite different things.

Now saying, "Your stats are wrong but we are not going to tell you why or how" is truly meaningless.

That's my point as well. Giving the numbers and letting the people decide would be the intelligent thing to diffuse a situation where people are obviously wrong.

That statement says the numbers won't prove anything to people that have already made up their minds. What? Really?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2516 on: October 15, 2011, 12:15:55 PM

Raids represent an enormous commitment of developer resources. In the same way that we would never make 20 new Arenas just for Gladiator-level players, we don’t want to develop a raid that only 2% of our raiders can see.

That's my favorite part, because they keep doing that.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2517 on: October 15, 2011, 12:47:36 PM

MMO champ about the numbers:

I may not have been clear enough when we posted the Firelands Graphs previously, so let me remind you that they are intended to show which changes made Firelands easier, not how many people raid.

Some people translated that to "1.35% of players saw the end game content!" and forgot that the sample was 2.7M characters, not 10 players, and someone smart pointed out that this % is probably around 15 or 20% at this point. (Which is pretty impressive for the end boss of the latest raiding tier)

It's the same problems as usual when you try to examine these numbers. Counts alts the same as mains. Counts 'guilds' even when only one person from that guild ever participated in a raid. etc.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2518 on: October 15, 2011, 12:57:33 PM

If the reality is closer to 20%, Blizzard would say it or allude to it, or make some statement that the numbers were off by several multiples in a vague sense. It would be a giant fuck you to the community who hates them, and a rallying point for the current marketing. There's a huge gap between 2% and 20%.

Truth is, it's not even close to that. Nobody shedding players just sits on fantastic data that proves they have made adjustments to bring the game more in line with their goals. Nobody sits on good news when the tone is so bad. That CM post sounds like a petulant child saying, "My Daddy knows more than your Daddy!"

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2519 on: October 15, 2011, 01:05:24 PM

I agree.  Marketing is glad to announce 10 million subs, they would want to put out any positive number.  Their statement that "Our numbers are better than that but we not gonna show 'em" stinks.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: