Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 07:12:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 561404 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: February 15, 2011, 06:33:43 AM

They are changing cookie's tenderizer from a rolling pin to just a regular mace.  This change speaks volumes for how bad design decisions are being made, I eagerly await someone coming here to explain it in greater detail than I can in the morning with no sleep.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1051 on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:20 AM

They are changing cookie's tenderizer from a rolling pin to just a regular mace.  This change speaks volumes for how bad design decisions are being made, I eagerly await someone coming here to explain it in greater detail than I can in the morning with no sleep.

Obviously beating Nefarian to death with a rolling pin stepped on someone's delicate lolore?

Quote from: Blue Answer
Cookie’s Tenderizer is a rather unique item indeed... Currently it is considered a pre-raiding best-in-slot item and therefore we feel it important that it can be sheathed and that any enchants on it are shown, which is something that currently isn't possible with the rolling pin model. It would take quite a bit of work to make the rolling pin work properly, so although the model for the heroic version has been changed, one should never dismiss the possibility that we may see the rolling pin model return.

If you are interested in this item just for the rolling pin looks, you can still get the non-heroic version

Oh no wait, they wanted it to be sheathed and show enchants. Right.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:18:47 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1052 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:23 AM

I'm more confused about the work it would take to make the rolling pin 'work properly.'   Because adding a model point attachment and the ability to glow is hard?  Wha?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1053 on: February 15, 2011, 08:40:24 AM

I'm more confused about the work it would take to make the rolling pin 'work properly.'   Because adding a model point attachment and the ability to glow is hard?  Wha?

I liked the "If you like the way it looks, you can use the shitty version," response.

The reality is it was a unique and cool item that they didn't necessarily intend to be deemed "best in slot" for beginning raids, and they believed all the tanks running around with rolling pins would ruin their srs bzns approach to this new expansion.

I'm a stones throw from cancelling my sub this week if Rift is remotely palatable, just to prove a point.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: February 15, 2011, 09:07:05 AM

I got to the point where everything they do just pisses me off, so I canceled. 

I hope that one good thing comes out of Cata - other devs point to this release (and retro attempts like Vanguard) and say, "that path leads to madness and unemployment, we shouldn't go that way".

I hope that devs look at StarCraft 2 and say, "hmmm, we should probably look to stratify our player-base so that players of similar skill level are grouped together, and they are able to face off against content that is tuned for their level of skill/ability... and we should probably put some thought into tuning the entire encounter to take into account that players of different skill will group up because they are friends".

I hope that devs look at CoX and say, "hmmm, maybe auto-scaling is too hard.  It also probably doesn't accommodate players that currently aren't too good, but want to face off against harder content to improve their game.  We should probably also let the players pick how hard an encounter should be and scale the rewards based upon the encounter difficulty."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1055 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:01 AM

All it really took for me was reported queue times for DPS and the current length of heroic runs.   Can't do it, not enough time.

Not there yet with my goblin, but I will be.  So, I thought I'd just save myself some grief and go have fun playing single player games for a while.  WoW will still be here if I come back.

-Rasix
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:43 AM

They are changing cookie's tenderizer from a rolling pin to just a regular mace.  This change speaks volumes for how bad design decisions are being made, I eagerly await someone coming here to explain it in greater detail than I can in the morning with no sleep.

It's just strange as the Onyxia items looked the same when they rolled out the new version.  It's sort of the point.  Rockslicer also got a bit of a makeover this patch, but it's still just-an-axe which I quite appreciate.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1057 on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:29 AM

I guarantee that for every player who is pissed that their heroic tenderizer doesn't look like a rolling pin now, there are two that are happy that they won't look weird and buggy with no weapon on their belt and another 1.5 or so who were pissed that it wasn't showing their fancy enchant.

Nothing makes everyone happy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1058 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:00 AM

All it really took for me was reported queue times for DPS and the current length of heroic runs.   Can't do it, not enough time.

This for me.

I really like how quickly you could get stuff done in Wrath. Everything was faster, even the combat. Which I liked. I hate sitting for 20 seconds beating on one heroic trash mob.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1059 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:25 PM

I liked the "If you like the way it looks, you can use the shitty version," response.

That statement was entirely for the dorky roleplayers, stop reading the worst into everything because you're tired of the game and grabbing onto every reason you can to finally quit the damn thing.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1060 on: February 15, 2011, 06:25:10 PM

That statement was entirely for the dorky roleplayers, stop reading the worst into everything because you're tired of the game and grabbing onto every reason you can to finally quit the damn thing.

Stop copying your husband.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: February 15, 2011, 07:28:10 PM

[Unrelenting Negativity]

Seriously, we get it, you aren't enjoying WoW right now. I think your 3-6 posts about it in every page of this thread got the message across. Stop playing the game if you are that unhappy about it, or at least stop coming to this thread to complain about it every single day.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1062 on: February 15, 2011, 07:38:18 PM

Stop copying your husband.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes, clearly I said this because my husband apparently said it too. It's not because your act is getting old or anything.

God Save the Horn Players
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1063 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:06 PM

[Unrelenting Negativity]

Seriously, we get it, you aren't enjoying WoW right now. I think your 3-6 posts about it in every page of this thread got the message across. Stop playing the game if you are that unhappy about it, or at least stop coming to this thread to complain about it every single day.

This thread literally *is* the piss and vinegar thread.  I'm not seeing the issue.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1064 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:13 PM

Yes, clearly I said this because my husband apparently said it too. It's not because your act is getting old or anything.

Feel free to make a thread about everything you enjoy in the expansion. I make a solid promise not to shit up your thread with any unhappy thoughts.

In the 30 page thread where we question if the game is falling apart? Get a fucking helmet, bunny.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:50 PM

You've been doing it in the Cata thread too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1066 on: February 15, 2011, 08:44:48 PM

Fair enough. I'll confine further points of criticism to this particular thread.

No reason to piss on anyone's parade everywhere. I don't like that either.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1067 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:53 AM

This is the bitch about WoW thread.  If there's anywhere he can go to bitch about WoW it would be here. 
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:03 AM

It's kind of funny, the gripe at the start of this was wonky ability and talents, and thirty pages in that's pretty much what has turned out mostly okay.  Even though a few people are displeased that purely as a thought experiment they'd never actually carry out they can't do "WTF were you thinking?" builds, or drop 75% their talent expenditure into picks that have nothing inherently interesting about them.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1069 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:02 AM

It's kind of funny, the gripe at the start of this was wonky ability and talents, and thirty pages in that's pretty much what has turned out mostly okay.  Even though a few people are displeased that purely as a thought experiment they'd never actually carry out they can't do "WTF were you thinking?" builds, or drop 75% their talent expenditure into picks that have nothing inherently interesting about them.

Blizzard has a good track record of cleaning up the best class balance or talent issues they've screwed up. I don't even have a problem with the warrior nerfs as it was obvious from a DPS standpoint that they went overboard trying to make Arms relevant as a pve spec, then they went too far trying to get fury up to par. It's in a decent place now.

Healers are a concern unless you're a paladin, with priests seeming to be the most confused. Not sure on shamans, but my friend who is very good at his hasn't issued any complaints.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: February 16, 2011, 01:56:22 PM

I still don't like the talents.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1071 on: February 16, 2011, 02:04:01 PM

I still don't like the new class they replaced my ret with. I'm at nearly Sinij-esque levels of butthurt. It's all I can do not to start trolling everywhere with "Bring back pre-Cata beeyotch!"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: February 16, 2011, 02:07:32 PM

You'll be a rogue and love it!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:13 PM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:10 AM

I've never enjoyed my hunter less.  The mechanics are just wonky.  Why doesn't focus regen faster when I'm out of combat, the way mana and health do?

Hunter changes seem half done to me.  They haven't revamped leveling gear to reflect the change from mana to focus.

The forums seem like they've gone through a huge change in the past couple of weeks - either the unhappys have quit posting or quit the game or the threads are deleted faster.  (Probably not the latter - there's a 9page thread up now called Blizzard sucks cocks in hell).

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1075 on: February 17, 2011, 07:49:40 AM

I've never enjoyed my hunter less.  The mechanics are just wonky.  Why doesn't focus regen faster when I'm out of combat, the way mana and health do?

Hunter changes seem half done to me. 

Can you give us some more detail as to the half done feel? I've been struggling to figure out why our hunters seemed to have issues when I was raiding with them, but I couldn't put my finger on it having never played one.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1076 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:24 AM

Focus is just energy with a new name and energy doesn't regen faster OOC, either.  On the other hand, rogues don't get a steady-shot type ability for in-combat regen, all of theirs comes from talents and finishers.

I don't think they're half-done so much as wildly different from the way hunters worked for the previous 6 years.  If you're used to having a mana bar that you just let drain and fill, it's jarring.  The only reason I was able to wrap my head around it quickly was by realizing I had to play more like a rogue in terms of energy management.

Steady needs to be woven-in to an actual shot rotation, even if it's not your highest damage shot.   Many, many hunters still refuse to do this, it seems.   Even back when Steady was first introduced there was that "zomg I don't want to use that it does too little damage" segment of the population.  Even when I was beating the pants off other hunters in raids and groups, they'd tell me i was stupid for using it.  I continue to not understand that mindset.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: February 17, 2011, 08:06:54 AM

Steady needs to be woven-in to an actual shot rotation, even if it's not your highest damage shot.   Many, many hunters still refuse to do this, it seems.   Even back when Steady was first introduced there was that "zomg I don't want to use that it does too little damage" segment of the population.  Even when I was beating the pants off other hunters in raids and groups, they'd tell me i was stupid for using it.  I continue to not understand that mindset.

Yes.  Performance is ok in pve, but it's not fun for me in pvp.  (I haven't played since latest patch, so I don't know what the latest changes have brought).  If you can stand still and shoot, or move minimally, great.  If you have to stay on the move the entire time you're in combat, dps is going to be pretty low - unless you have magically fleet fingers able to change aspects very efficiently (I don't; maybe it's my age, maybe it's my training of 5 years of playing differently, I don't know).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1078 on: February 17, 2011, 08:52:01 AM

I hope you understand I was talking generalities and not you specifically. 

As for the latest changes, the last patch let hunters run and autoshoot, so mobility was apparently a concern even in PVE.  For PVP, though, you're really just going on luck of procs, I think.  If you don't proc a good string of high-damage abilities like Lock& Load you're just toast.  Part of why I gave-up on hunters as a main 2 years ago was the 'death by papercuts' approach to the class.  Now it's 'death by the RNG'   No thanks.

Not that hunters are as immoblie as they used to be.  They've got a lot of instant-cast shots these days vs the bad old days of "Stand stil 3 secs for aimed shot, 1/2 sec for multi.. forget you even have an autoshoot ability."

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:40 AM

Did they nerf aimed shot yet? That was two shotting people after the latest patch for awhile.  awesome, for real

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:06 AM

Nope! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Auto Shot on the move was more of a quality-of-life thing as with Aspect of the Fox I only had to stutter step for them and there's no real indication of the Auto Shot cast in the UI.  Now as Survival, if I'm moving 100% of the fight all I'm giving up is ~600 AP from not being in Hawk and 6% damage on my Cobra Shots from not gaining Sniper Training.  Marksmanship is a bit less mobile because of Aimed Shot, but it makes up for it by hitting like a train.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1081 on: February 17, 2011, 08:46:13 PM

Found his little blue response gem on the forums today in regard to the general "Yall aren't listening, you're making this game for what YOU want, not what WE want" post from a player:

Quote from: Bashiok
No it's about balancing the game for millions of players and not making changes based purely on what some vocal members of the community ask for. We appreciate your feedback, we take it all in, but not getting your way does not mean we don't care about what you have to say. Game design is not a service industry.

Now granted I was with him in the first sentence. You don't balance your game around the insane ramblings of a thousand loud posters when you have millions of customers. You do it purely based on merit of the situation. I also get the second sentence where he explains that no is an answer. You are not a unique snowflake and can't always have your way in a multiplayer game with that many playstyles.

Then, he just had to be a smartass. That kind of shit is the bulletin board material people wait on. Of course the forums exploded into page after page of pure rage. While I don't discount the point, I'm just wondering what kind of message they are sending when shutting up would have been the better action? Better yet, is game design even really a service industry when it comes to an MMOG?

Or are we just all being entitled babies?

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54:14 PM

Or are we just all being entitled babies?

Yes. WoW's success was built around pampering to us whiners. It seems kind of funny that they are taking this attitude now. I blame hubris.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:00 PM

There are plenty of things that people want that would make the game objectively worse and/or less profitable.  Telling someone they don't in fact know best probably isn't good PR, but that doesn't make it less true.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, holding that the developer can know what the customers want better than the customers themselves is an explicitly elitist position.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:20 PM

That isn't anything they haven't said a thousand times before. It causes the same amount of rage and helplessness in the player base every time and then they go find something shiny and forget about it till the next time.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: