Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 559483 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #840 on: February 03, 2011, 08:58:28 AM

Indeed they do.  Ran BWL with a group on my rogue and was convinced we were all going to die to Darkflame because half the group didn't have ony cloaks. (Something still required when my DK ran it).  Oh.. gee, only 40k guess not.  I also spent some time explaining that players had to be decursed, etc on Chromaggus or else they'd turn into dragonthings and eat us all.. Chromaggus didn't even live long enough to spit out one debuff.   awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: February 03, 2011, 02:26:02 PM

Indeed they do.  Ran BWL with a group on my rogue and was convinced we were all going to die to Darkflame because half the group didn't have ony cloaks. (Something still required when my DK ran it).  Oh.. gee, only 40k guess not.  I also spent some time explaining that players had to be decursed, etc on Chromaggus or else they'd turn into dragonthings and eat us all.. Chromaggus didn't even live long enough to spit out one debuff.   awesome, for real
I have always wondered, if you let a hunter tame chromaggus, does that count as "defeating" the boss and let you pass on to Neff?  Cause if so, chromag would be the fastest boss in the place (Lust, tame beast, 10 seconds later, done)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: February 03, 2011, 03:25:27 PM

It does count as a defeat and the gate opens. I ran BWL with a couple of buddies just before cata (after 4.0.1 I guess?) and we had no problems 3-manning the place, including taming Chromaggus.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #843 on: February 03, 2011, 03:28:07 PM

How'd that work? I thought Maggy was flagged as a boss, meaning he'd always be 3+ levels higher than the highest person in the raid.  That makes him untameable.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: February 03, 2011, 03:59:06 PM

I don't know how it works, all I know is that it did. *shrug*

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:30 PM

My friend and I (a Resto/Elemental Shaman and  Feral druid) ran BWL AND AQ 40 jus after cataclysm came out. Those are two raids full of mechanics I never want to see again. The whole raid slowed? Fuck you blizzard. Mind Control Bullshit? Suck a dick ghostcrawler! Punting through the air into different mobs? NO!   

After seeing these I appreciated the newer raid mechanics a hell of a lot more.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #846 on: February 04, 2011, 10:42:37 AM

I realize that I am a bitter and jaded MMO veteran, so let me ask this publicly in hopes that someone inclined to defend the game will take up the challenge: Outside of the revamped leveling content, what's the best-received part of Cataclysm?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:49 AM

I realize that I am a bitter and jaded MMO veteran, so let me ask this publicly in hopes that someone inclined to defend the game will take up the challenge: Outside of the revamped leveling content, what's the best-received part of Cataclysm?

The raiding content. Whilst the levelling content is superb for the most part, and improved on both previous expansions, the raiding content for Cataclysm is some of their best work. For once the initial raiding content is pitched at the right difficulty (not too hard like TBC, not too easy like Naxx). Classes work and are generally balanced for normal modes just fine. The dungeons themselves are excellent, harking back to Ulduar and Sunwell in their level of quality, variety and fun. All in all, they are some of the best raiding fights I have seen.

There's also a great difference in feel between the instances, which is what they were going for - each of the raid dungeons has a very different art work, style and feel to it. Nefarion is full of sly humour and jokes, Cho'gall is gibbering insane promising blood and death, whilst Al'akir is noble and arrogant challenging you to combat. It's that level of polish and detail that makes great fights into fantastic raids.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:17 AM

I'll agree: the raiding.

From what little I saw before my schedule got me benched, it was outstanding and fun as hell. Even fights that would normally be considered tank'n'spank, there's always something going on to punish tunnel vision on meters or (in my case) cooldown timers. I've only seen bits of BWD, but the Omnitron Defense Posse was simply a blast. Haven't had that much fun in...man, not sure how long.

The pisser is--despite wanting to keep "guilds together" with guild faction and whatall-- the tightened difficulities of everyfuckingthing else in the game has me beginning a new guild search. After five years. Simple lack of any sort of advancement outside of the piddling VP of daily heroics (which still suck hugely) has me completely stalled. Still pissed about this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:06 AM

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:49 AM

Being able to play as Goblins is also very cool. I've already race changed one of my toons, and if I ever get around to leveling my rogue he's probably getting changed too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: February 04, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

I've found that my abilities activating some other kind of secondary effect on another ability makes combat a bit better.  Not a drastic thing, but its a "general" thing that applies across the three characters I've tried playing.

Oh, I also REALLY like the combination of flying in Azeroth and Archaeology.   It gives the game a more worldly feel that it has had in years for me, though this may wear out after I've done it a bunch.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: February 04, 2011, 12:22:55 PM

Facepalm

No no, go on, let's hear it...   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:15 PM

Here's my guess: he's  Facepalm because they (Blizzard) put the best part of this expansion behind the suckiest cock-block.  You've got to EARN the right to see these raids!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #854 on: February 04, 2011, 02:16:11 PM

I'd say the best part is probably the levelling tweaks. I'd NEVER considered rolling an alt in 5 years, and even I have a mage in the 40s now with no plans of stopping.

The raiding is what it is. The hardcore types are happy with it, I think the average raider finds it frustrating to get people on the same page.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #855 on: February 04, 2011, 02:16:58 PM

Here's my guess: he's  Facepalm because they (Blizzard) put the best part of this expansion behind the suckiest cock-block.  You've got to EARN the right to see these raids!

The suckiest cock-block IMO is actually guild faction, even though it isn't really blocking much. It just goes way too goddamn slow.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:14 PM

Nah, they should really bring back attunements.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #857 on: February 04, 2011, 02:26:32 PM

I don't know what it is about Cataclysm. I got my DK to 85, and geared out in mostly heroic stuff. Got my paladin to 82 or 83. Played a Worgen up to level 30ish. And boom, and cannot bring myself to log in again. Just feels no fun. Even in Wrath, when there was nothing to do, the game felt fun. Now it just feels like a chore. Maybe I am WoWed out finally. Gearing up again, and grinding daily quests for rep, again. The fun is gone for me.

Pity really.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #858 on: February 04, 2011, 02:32:45 PM

I don't know what it is about Cataclysm. I got my DK to 85, and geared out in mostly heroic stuff. Got my paladin to 82 or 83. Played a Worgen up to level 30ish. And boom, and cannot bring myself to log in again. Just feels no fun. Even in Wrath, when there was nothing to do, the game felt fun. Now it just feels like a chore. Maybe I am WoWed out finally. Gearing up again, and grinding daily quests for rep, again. The fun is gone for me.

Pity really.

Hitting Outland with my gobbie killed it for me.  I really should try the Cata 80-85 material with one of my 4 80s because I'm sure I'd love it.  But I want to do that material with my goblin.   Just not in the mood to slog through crap I don't like.  And after Outland, I'd have 10 levels of WOLK to do for the 5th time. BLEAAAAAAAAAAAARG.  Oh well.

Could just be WoWed out, like I suspect you are.  I'll likely come back and love it when <insert new MMO here> manages to thoroughly disappoint me.

edit:  I wish they sold "Skip the old expansion" tickets. I'd pay $25 not to play them again.  They're such a jarring experience now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:34:30 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: February 04, 2011, 02:35:47 PM

At this point with Outland I grind through random dungeons and BGs mostly rather than do the quests there (other than enough hellfire to upgrade my gear to the newer standard), just tired of em.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #860 on: February 04, 2011, 02:36:56 PM

Hah.  I haven't been able to level a DK to 80 or even 70 because of Outlands and WOTLK.  I don't know why they just don't leave the max level at cap and let the expansions give more options for leveling to max.  People only really care about the raids with these expansions anyway really.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #861 on: February 04, 2011, 02:48:01 PM

Well, I will tell you that after you claw through Outlands again, WotLK feels pretty awesome. Yeah, you did it a lot, but it isn't shitty. Outlands is just really old and busted at this point.

God Save the Horn Players
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: February 04, 2011, 02:49:43 PM

Hah.  I haven't been able to level a DK to 80 or even 70 because of Outlands and WOTLK.  I don't know why they just don't leave the max level at cap and let the expansions give more options for leveling to max.  People only really care about the raids with these expansions anyway really.
I happen to like expansions which increase the level cap. The gear reset puts everyone back on a level playing field, and you get to use your old character for new questing content. Just adding new options to level to max sucks for people either a) not interested in alts or b) who already filled all their character slots.

Rasix

Reply #863 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:23 PM

Well, I will tell you that after you claw through Outlands again, WotLK feels pretty awesome. Yeah, you did it a lot, but it isn't shitty. Outlands is just really old and busted at this point.

Yah, I may keep the sub around for when I'm done with my "don't liquify the crew"/"stay loyal to big-butt girlfriend" dudeShep ME2 run through.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #864 on: February 04, 2011, 02:55:09 PM

Stop calling Ashley fat!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #865 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:06 PM

I happen to like expansions which increase the level cap. The gear reset puts everyone back on a level playing field, and you get to use your old character for new questing content. Just adding new options to level to max sucks for people either a) not interested in alts or b) who already filled all their character slots.

Hmm.  Couldn't you just do a gear re-set of some sort?  I hate leveling so much.  There has to be a better way. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: February 04, 2011, 03:09:24 PM

I love love love leveling, don't take it away from me. I'm just tired of Outland specifically.

Rasix

Reply #867 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

Stop calling Ashley fat!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Not fat, just an ample posterior.  Her suit doesn't do much for her front, but all of the sudden BOOM, there's her butt.  Come to think of it, the guy in charge of ME2's cut scenes is definitely an ass man.  There's just so many prolonged butt shots.

Now if she'd only stop reciting that f'ing poetry.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #868 on: February 04, 2011, 03:19:58 PM

I love love love leveling, don't take it away from me. I'm just tired of Outland specifically.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking maybe Outlands or WOTLK, not both.  

I wasn't saying take it away, maybe just tone it down a bit.  An option might be to have offline leveling for alts once you've gotten an 85 or maybe 2 85s.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:58 PM

Yeah, that's why I was thinking maybe Outlands or WOTLK, not both.  

I wasn't saying take it away, maybe just tone it down a bit.  An option might be to have offline leveling for alts once you've gotten an 85 or maybe 2 85s.

I'm a big fan of the idea of getting 10% faster leveling per capped character.

Seriously, do Blizzard think we like grinding through this shit time and time again? Oh wait.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: February 04, 2011, 03:59:00 PM

Isn't one of the guild perks (presuming you've got enough people) a noticeable bonus to xp?  Add heirlooms and rest xp, and you can level insanely fast.

But then we get into DK territory - everyone button-spammed from 55 to 80, and noone learned to play before doing heroics.  Will the same happen again if the leveling curve shortens too dramatically?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #871 on: February 04, 2011, 04:02:07 PM

Instead of a bunch of bullshit bandaid "level faster zomg" fixes, they need to redo Outlands like they did to the old world. I level faster than I want to in the old world, in fact, because it's new and well done. Then you get hit in the face with old and creaky Outland and it's depressing.

EDIT: I do like leveling over and over again. I don't think people like me are particularly rare, either. I don't need it to go even faster, I just need it to not be a totally shitty detour that doesn't even make sense any more.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:04:29 PM by Sjofn »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #872 on: February 04, 2011, 04:21:36 PM

Instead of a bunch of bullshit bandaid "level faster zomg" fixes, they need to redo Outlands like they did to the old world. I level faster than I want to in the old world, in fact, because it's new and well done. Then you get hit in the face with old and creaky Outland and it's depressing.

EDIT: I do like leveling over and over again. I don't think people like me are particularly rare, either. I don't need it to go even faster, I just need it to not be a totally shitty detour that doesn't even make sense any more.

Maybe that's true about leveling and more people like it than I though.  I would be totally cool with your suggestion with redoing Outlands. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: February 04, 2011, 04:29:54 PM

They should re-do Outland and massively tone down the levels, so that you see more than 1-2 zones. Maybe let you go to Hellfire at 50 if you're so inclined (or alternatively, bump Netherstorm and SMV to allow you to get to 80), giving you 20 possible levels to do there.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #874 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:29 PM

Mm, the best way to do it, I think, is to make the zones overlap more, and make it so you can get through that band of levels in, say, three zones (and if they redid the whole place, people would definitely stay until 70 at the very least). Part of WotLK's charm for me was being able to skip entire zones, because it means there would be zones I hadn't done to death for my next pass through them.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: