Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 11:11:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 561532 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #175 on: November 25, 2010, 05:01:24 PM

"Detracts from shared social districts."

What a joke. Let people shit up Trade chat from their houses, place a bunch of NPC characters wearing the latest raid tier around the current hub city to lag the hell out of it, and who would even know the difference?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 25, 2010, 08:49:23 PM

place a bunch of NPC characters wearing the latest raid tier around the current hub city to lag the hell out of it, and who would even know the difference?

Lol. For some reason that cracked me up way too hard. I kept picturing some obvious forgery, like Lord Marrowgar or some shit, standing around Org in crummy shoulder pads.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:38 AM

Maybe this has been covered and I missed it, but I found a crack that I'm amazed isn't being dealt with quicker.

Strand of the Ancients:
1.  Currently the Hangar doesn't work.  You can capture it, but if you use the portal you either get dropped from the sky out in the middle of the zone and die OR you just don't go anywhere.  What happens is that there is ALWAYS somebody in the raid that will go capture the Hangar.  Multiple people will die trying to use it.  Then, if the other side is smart, they don't go recapture it because now anyone dieing in that area will rez at the hangar, which is a huge waste of travel time to get back into battle.  In my experience, Alliance is always the one taking the Hangar even though 1/2 the raid tells them not to at the beginning.

2.  For Alliance, when you knock down the Horde gates, they are replaced by a huge bright pink block that does not allow you to pass through it.  At all.  The Alliance keep does not have this issue, so Horde can use whatever method they need to knock down the gates and storm the castle.  Alliance has only one option once a gate is down to end the game.  They have to take the docks and use catapults to get over the walls.  There ONLY other option is to prevent Horde from getting the gate down and outkilling them character by character for the long drawn out win.

I put a ticket in the other day after weeks of going through this just to see what they say.  I cancelled my ticket after 3 days of sitting there.  Then I got mail 2 days after that explaining that they are aware of the issue and working on it.

My issue is that with a problem as big as this, take it down completely.  It is so one-sided that all it is a farming opportunity for Horde.  When I join the Random BG queue, many times I get this POS and lately I just /afk out and go to another character for another shot.  In my mind, this is the biggest "in your face" bug that I've seen for WoW yet.  Plus, they are just taking the stance that, "Yeah it sucks, but deal with it noob!"
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: November 30, 2010, 11:04:56 AM

Strand of the Ancients:
1.  Currently the Hangar doesn't work.

Maybe the ticket sat there for so long because they were confused by you telling them there was a hanger in Strand of the Ancients?  why so serious?

Over and out.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 30, 2010, 11:14:28 AM

That is one thing that I have always wondered about.  I realise that WoW is probably billions and billions of lines of code, but how exactly do they manage to (quite often at that) fuck something up durring a major patch that from everything we can see, should never even have been touched by whatever it was they were changing in the codebase?  How do you get code taint that bad?

I mean, I remember once when they patched something in Burning Crusade, and for about 3 weeks after, Neffarian in Blackwing Lair was broken because he suddenly gave the ENTIRE raid Rage Bars i he did a Warrior Class call?!!?  How do you fuck something like that up?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #180 on: November 30, 2010, 11:44:40 AM

So this is bugging the shit out of me, more than it probably should considering shit like the Strand of the Ancients bullshit above, but I have run into stupid grammar mistakes several times in my quest text and it's pissing me off. Mostly because the latest one I noticed was someone saying "could of."  Mob

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 30, 2010, 12:36:10 PM

Pshaw.  It's not like anyone reads quest text.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:04 PM

I don't think I've seen any bad quest text myself but a guildmember was in desolcase that got a quest called "breadcrumb" and said "I'm just a small placeholder but one day I hope to grow up into a full fledged breadcrumb: to feralas!"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 30, 2010, 12:40:33 PM

I don't think I've seen any bad quest text myself but a guildmember was in desolcase that got a quest called "breadcrumb" and said "I'm just a small placeholder but one day I hope to grow up into a full fledged breadcrumb: to feralas!"

you did that on 'purprose'!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #184 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:02 PM

Yeah, Fordel saw a roadsign that said something along the lines of EXPLORER'S LEAGUE QUEST HUB --->

God Save the Horn Players
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 30, 2010, 01:40:13 PM

That is one thing that I have always wondered about.  I realise that WoW is probably billions and billions of lines of code, but how exactly do they manage to (quite often at that) fuck something up durring a major patch that from everything we can see, should never even have been touched by whatever it was they were changing in the codebase?  How do you get code taint that bad?

I mean, I remember once when they patched something in Burning Crusade, and for about 3 weeks after, Neffarian in Blackwing Lair was broken because he suddenly gave the ENTIRE raid Rage Bars i he did a Warrior Class call?!!?  How do you fuck something like that up?

You mean the problem that programmers have spent hundreds of hours developing a plethora of SVN tools to solve?

Or is you misspelling Nef's name meant to be a subtle commentary on how easy it is to fuck things up in OO programming?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: November 30, 2010, 02:07:10 PM

Eh, I have always referred to him in the short form of Neff with an extra F.  It just carrys over whenever I try to spell his full name.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #187 on: November 30, 2010, 02:14:27 PM

Still no draw for me yet until they let me level my 80 or make a goblin. One more week!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: November 30, 2010, 02:30:01 PM

Strand of the Ancients:
1.  Currently the Hangar doesn't work.

Maybe the ticket sat there for so long because they were confused by you telling them there was a hanger in Strand of the Ancients?  why so serious?

Oh DOH!  I meant Isle of Conquest....I always get those two confused.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 30, 2010, 03:03:48 PM

For me, that's been nearly literally true since BC. I would much rather alt-tab out and look it up on wowhead than read the quest text even once.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: November 30, 2010, 03:46:24 PM

For me, that's been nearly literally true since BC. I would much rather alt-tab out and look it up on wowhead than read the quest text even once.

Wowhead.  Feh.  It's all about Carbonite, or Quest Helper. No alt tabbing, no reading.  Just follow the arrow.  awesome, for real

Wowhead is for looking up how best to get achievements.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #191 on: November 30, 2010, 05:24:11 PM

Only Addon dependent newbs use either for quest content.  The default UI does a bangup job of actually showing you where mobs spawn (all locations) and includes the "run here" arrow these days.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #192 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:51 PM

So this is bugging the shit out of me, more than it probably should considering shit like the Strand of the Ancients bullshit above, but I have run into stupid grammar mistakes several times in my quest text and it's pissing me off. Mostly because the latest one I noticed was someone saying "could of."  Mob

I saw a small typo in a new quest the other day. In Duskwood. In the new Worgen quest hub near the cemetary across from Westfall.

Still no draw for me yet until they let me level my 80 or make a goblin. One more week!
I think it was a missing letter. I thought "this is th end of the universe". Then got on with my life.

You could do both! Race/faction swap!

Wowhead.  Feh.  It's all about Carbonite, or Quest Helper. No alt tabbing, no reading.  Just follow the arrow.  awesome, for real

Have they been updated for 4.whatever? I'm enjoying the NewOld World, but when I get back to BC, I just want to tear through it ASAP.
I liked the TomTom combo with the other quest helper addon (forgot the name). I could mark all three of the "go here, kill that" locations then do them in my own order, rather than follow their order. Also good for getting info about stuff that's unclear from the quest text.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 30, 2010, 07:49:29 PM

Wowhead is for looking up how best to get achievements.

The day Blizz integrated their own quest tracker was a real treat.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:35 AM

I use an addon called Lightheaded that pulls in the quest comments from WoWhead. I tried Carbonite but I don't like how it makes my minimap look shitty and really the Wowhead comments are all anyone could possibly need to complete the quests.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:53 AM

Wowhead seems to be very out of whack currently - I keep finding lots of old quests listed that no longer exist and placeholder quests that were in Beta.  Going to give it a couple of weeks to get their database sorted out.

In other news, I got some bizarre whispers on one of my newbie alts last night while doing some of the Troll starter quests. First thing I thought was "Wow! That's really meta and very clever." I figured it was another character like Zuni, Dumass or Johnny Awesome who just whispered random things to you.

Then I realized it was actually another player.  Facepalm

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 01, 2010, 06:02:20 AM

I go the next step and use wow-pro's add on. It's basically questhelper with a set of pre-made optimized levelling guides built in--primarily Jame's. Unfortunately, not yet updated for the new zones.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 01, 2010, 06:36:31 AM

If WoW is such a great game, why are people in such a hurry to blow through the content?  I can see using a guide on the third or fourth time leveling an alt, but what's the point of rushing to the end game unless you really just don't enjoy the game itself?  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 01, 2010, 07:04:50 AM

We'll I'd say that most people here are probably on their nth alt by this stage.

That said, the new levelling experience is seriously tempting me to do 1-80 again with something new, and take the time to enjoy the ride.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:28 AM

If WoW is such a great game, why are people in such a hurry to blow through the content?  I can see using a guide on the third or fourth time leveling an alt, but what's the point of rushing to the end game unless you really just don't enjoy the game itself?  

Because people don't play MMORPGs because they are fun, they play MMORPGs because there is constant positive reinforcement.  Guides just help that positive reinforcement come faster or at shorter intervals.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:54 AM

If you go on holiday to a city you've never been to before, do you buy a guide book and a map and ask people who have been before if they've got any tips or suggestions of things to do or even avoid?  Or do you go blind and wonder around in case you see something interesting (but also run the risk of missing all the good stuff and only seeing the bad stuff?)

I used Jame's guides to level a lot from way back before TBC came out because
a) I was prepared for some quests by already having a Gynochromawotsit so wouldn't get fucked off by flying all the way back to UC to get one
b) it introduced me to quest areas I'd previously missed (like the boat in Faldir's Cove in Arathi)
c) stopped me getting pissed off by trying the tediously long winded quest chains which had you crossing continents like an asshole.

That shit wasn't fun. Using a guide meant I could do the fun things and feel like I was making progress.

They're less necessary now because the quest hubs are signposted, the flow is far better and most quest chains are contained in the same zone. That was noticeable from TBC onwards - it's like the quest designers looked at the quest guides and said "You know what? This is how we should do it!"

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 01, 2010, 08:30:49 AM

#1. Becuase there are levels besides Great and Awful. It's not a binary issue.
#2. Some people are ambivalent about the leveling game, but like the endgame.
#3. Some people like to optimize their questing. Speed running the content is their metagame.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:51 AM

I don't get it, either Nebu.  I'll turn to a guide if I'm stuck, but I like to actually explore the world I'm in.  In any game.

If you go on holiday to a city you've never been to before, do you buy a guide book and a map and ask people who have been before if they've got any tips or suggestions of things to do or even avoid?  Or do you go blind and wonder around in case you see something interesting (but also run the risk of missing all the good stuff and only seeing the bad stuff?)
A city in WoW is like a block in real life.  I've got the equivalent of the entire realms of five WoW's between work and home alone.  That's a terrible analogy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: December 01, 2010, 09:04:18 AM

Here's a stab at why I might rush through quests and/or use a guide:

1) Quest as they are built right now are essentially reading a story and getting a reward (note that I haven't done any of the new quests).  There is no variability in the quest execution, there is no variability in reward.  If I care enough about the story, I want to get to the end of the story quickly - while I still care about the story.  If I only care about the reward, I want to rush through everything as quickly as possible.

1.1) The quest mechanics in MMOs are all pretty much the same.  Other than comedy value, they really offer nothing new.  It's hard to give a rats ass about someone dying when he/she/it will just respawn for the next person to ride the ride.  If there is no chance of loss, how can there be any pathos?  We're left with comedy and loot.  The Perilous Adventures of Mr Floppy I thought was one of their better quests - it was funny, and the joke didn't involve reading quest text but actually occurred via scripting.  If they added easter egg elements to quests that reward taking your time, maybe more people would take their time.  Current tech and/or implementation doesn't seem to support that.

2) Combat is completely disconnected from the quest story.  It doesn't add to story tension.  Failure or success do not alter the story (because you just restart if you fail).  That said, I find the combat, while not challenging, amusing enough in and of itself to be entertaining (for awhile).  The quests offer a directed way to do that (rather than just grinding), regardless of whether I find the quests amusing or not.  In this sense, Malakili is correct, I will optimize my experience + loot game while doing something I find entertaining (combat) just because I'm built that way, rather than it being something I find fun in and of itself.

3) Grouping with friends.  Taking the time to read quest text slows everything down.  Hunting around for a glowy slows everything down.  Grouping with friends while doing quests takes on an easter-egg-hunt type of feel - it's fun because you are cooperatively competing with each other.  Reading quest text slows that down.

edit: fixed crappy sentences
edit 2: tried to make sentences make sense
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:00:58 AM by Typhon »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:25 AM

#1. Becuase there are levels besides Great and Awful. It's not a binary issue.
#2. Some people are ambivalent about the leveling game, but like the endgame.
#3. Some people like to optimize their questing. Speed running the content is their metagame.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

1) Obvious answer is obvious.

2) The endgame is a leveling game.  Just of a different variety.

3) If that's your metagame, then why rely on the optimization of another person?  

I'm sure there are reasons as well.  That we can agree on.

It was really meant to be more of a rhetorical question.  I guess I have to be careful about stepping on toes considering the huge fanbase that WoW has.  I figured the "cracks starting to show" thread would be an appropriate place to express my lack of enthusiasm for WoW.  After 10+ years of playing MMO's I'm starting to appreciate Schild's assertion that MMO's just aren't very good as games go.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #205 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:06 AM

Agreed with Nebu and Lantyssa; to each his own, sure, but I always want to feel immersed in the world I'm playing in (but yes, I'm mainly a roleplayer, so I'm biased)...Not reading quest and just rushing seems like an awful "mechanical" thing that has nothing to do with gaming.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 01, 2010, 09:52:46 AM

Agreed with Nebu and Lantyssa; to each his own, sure, but I always want to feel immersed in the world I'm playing in (but yes, I'm mainly a roleplayer, so I'm biased)...Not reading quest and just rushing seems like an awful "mechanical" thing that has nothing to do with gaming.

I disagree, but I'm not going to jump on your wagon of "play like us or your wrong."  If you don't want to use an add-on, don't.  Those that do aren't doing any less "gaming" than you.  You are equating the RP aspects of the game as the entire game and it quite obviously is not.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #207 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:53 AM

Hehe, no no no,anyone can play as they wish; like others, it was mostly a rhetorical observation. I guess WoW also succeeded because it's a "nexus" of lots of playing styles.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 01, 2010, 10:02:51 AM

I'm just not sure why quest helpers are even relevant considering how the game has now changed. I'm pretty sure you could level to 80 now and never read a single bit of quest text, everything is on your map. Hell I even noticed some quests don't even bother telling you where to go beyond maybe a cardinal direction or "over there by the mountain" it's all on your map now by default.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 01, 2010, 10:19:03 AM

I disagree, but I'm not going to jump on your wagon of "play like us or your wrong."  If you don't want to use an add-on, don't.  Those that do aren't doing any less "gaming" than you.  You are equating the RP aspects of the game as the entire game and it quite obviously is not.

I don't care how other people "play".  I'm just wondering where we draw the line between "playing" and some Pavlovian response.  To me the addition of a quest guide is along the lines of "Follow the arrow to the X and we'll give you a treat".  If that's fun for people, great.  They'll have a plethora of gaming options available.  It just seems like a veiled attempt to turn the "game" into an exercise that a 3 year old can do. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: