Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1009486 times)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #2555 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:17 AM

My thought is why bother with just one MPL and if you want just one MPL why not put it in the head where you can zombie at least with it. 

It's the spare weight, but yeah I'll move it to the head.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2556 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:52 AM

My thought is why bother with just one MPL and if you want just one MPL why not put it in the head where you can zombie at least with it.  

I'd rearrange the DHS as well, can't you put four in the RT, two in the LT and 2 in the RA? You could always consider an AMS too but it doesn't seem worth it to lose lasers over unless testing shows that alpha to be hotter than you can handle.

Now do me!

AS7-D-DC - unnamed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:01:45 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2557 on: March 25, 2013, 02:21:45 AM

I'm not experienced with SRMs, so I'm wondering the benefits of switching a DHS out to upgrade your SRM-4 to an SRM-6

One thing I would suggest is switching the SRM ammo you store under your cockpit with inert, unexplosive Gauss rifle ammo instead...  why so serious?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2558 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:24 AM

I'd rearrange the DHS as well, can't you put four in the RT, two in the LT and 2 in the RA? You could always consider an AMS too but it doesn't seem worth it to lose lasers over unless testing shows that alpha to be hotter than you can handle.

No, his heatsink arrangement is correct. Having the HS in with the weapons buffers them against critical hits.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2559 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:19 AM

Advanced zoom is terribad. Don't even bother. Sensor range is always moderately useful, although the best right now might be 360 target decay, at least for brawling. Either that or the new coolant module, but I haven't even played around with coolant yet.

I actually sniped two enemy mechs on that shitty new map with Advanced zoom.  They thought it was clever to climb the crystals and shoot from there.  It wasn't.  This was in a Stalker with 4xlarge, and the advanced zoom even got me what I suspect was a nice headshot.

Just Sayin'

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2560 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:22 AM

For my next question, modules. I assume you can only have 1 unless you master the mech.

My Atlas has 3 slots.  I kinda thought I could use them all ?  No ?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2561 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:46 AM

On a tangent I played Hawken yesterday. It is not a mech game. It's a very fun shooter with jet packs.

Actually kinda felt like exSteel (I miss that game) with prettier graphics.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2562 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:52 AM

For my next question, modules. I assume you can only have 1 unless you master the mech.

My Atlas has 3 slots.  I kinda thought I could use them all ?  No ?

I misunderstood when I posted that. So I assume you are correct.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2563 on: March 25, 2013, 08:22:01 AM

No, his heatsink arrangement is correct. Having the HS in with the weapons buffers them against critical hits.

I'm not sure I understand. I'd rather lose the arms without losing HS by torso twisting and blocking fire and still have the dissipation to fire 6-7 lasers at once then lose heat sinks along with each arm. Now I could be wrong because I'm newb and bad but I'd be curious if that's the agreed upon logic.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2564 on: March 25, 2013, 08:53:26 AM

You don't actually lose heatsinks.

edit: Forums says you can. Maybe they stealth fixed this, but when I tested it a few months ago losin heatsinks didn't actually affect your heat dissipation rate. Something to look into.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:02:16 AM by Goreschach »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2565 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:45 AM

I'd be interested in the reply.  Previously, I'd avoided like HELL putting heat sinks in the arms for just this reason.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2566 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:14 AM

I'm sure I remember the voice lady calling out heatsink destroyed, even if it has no effect they will put it in eventually, I make builds for what they intend where possible.  Not sure I'm following the conversation correctly anyway, you put Heat sinks in the arms last because you want your arm destroyed before your torso, padding equipment damage is just a nice bonus to that.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #2567 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:35 AM

Now do me!

AS7-D-DC - unnamed

Nice build, I do like some LPLs.  One thing is I hate putting ammo in torso without a case.  An ammo explosion there would suck.  I'd rather move to an arm where the damage wouldn't be so much of a mech killer. 
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2568 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:17 AM

Just tested it out, heatsink damage DOES reduce cooling rate now.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2569 on: March 25, 2013, 09:50:43 AM

Thoughts on this build:

HBK-4P

From the build thread, this is how I always ran the 9x Medium Laser -4p. Yes, there is extra weight (.50), but leave that weight be and go with max armor. The build runs hot as hell anyways to a point where you need to manage heat really closely, adding more heat to it just to use up weight is not a good tradeoff for this build. The second you go on a map where heat is increased, you're already going to be dreading it without the pulse being on there.

As for heatsink placements (or critical hit buffering basically), empty spaces, endo, and FF does not count towards crit calculations. So having only a laser in the arm will be guranteed to be crit after all armor is stripped and the attacker scores a critical hit. Moving 1 DHS to each arm is not a bad idea. That alone will bring the chance of the laser being crit from 100% down to 25%. When you lose a heatsink (single or double) they are supposed to stop working, but if they do it is not as noticeable. I believe this to be difficult to be certain if it is working since if you lost a heatsink you have likely already lost a weapon (or multiple) as well which will greatly offset the effect from that heatsink.
That said, with a hunchie (or just about any light/medium imo), the arm is just going to be destroyed anyways and I've found trying to protect the single laser from being crit has not been noticeable, so stacking as many DHS in the torsos is fine. AMS is not really worth it for a lot of mechs, this HBK being one. Smart positioning and terrain usage is all the AMS one needs usually.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2570 on: March 25, 2013, 10:32:02 AM

Nice build, I do like some LPLs.  One thing is I hate putting ammo in torso without a case.  An ammo explosion there would suck.  I'd rather move to an arm where the damage wouldn't be so much of a mech killer. 

Just in case it needs to be said, here goes - Gauss ammo does not explode but the gauss rifle itself does. I still don't like putting ammo in the torso, but in this case I would still consider a CASE since Gauss rifles are destroyed pretty easily.

As for the build specifically, I've fought a number of Atlases with gauss and they are usually the easiest to fight since their gauss is destroyed faster than other ballistics. I have no stats to back that up, just anecdotal based on the smile I have on my face when I see an Atlas with gauss instead of ac/20 or 2x(U)AC/5. If you want large pulse AND Artemis SRM, I'd run this AS7-D-DC. Switches the gauss to 2xAC5, all SRM are now SRM6 instead of 2xSRM6 and 1xSRM4. While I'm a firm believer in 1ton of ammo per SRM6 is the bare minimum, this may work okay (and just run a bit light of SRM ammo) betwen artemis efficiency and more reliance on the other weapons. Though, at that point, it's hard to resist going with the standard 2xUAC/5 AS7-D-DC brawler
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2571 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:05 AM

Just in case it needs to be said, here goes - Gauss ammo does not explode but the gauss rifle itself does. I still don't like putting ammo in the torso, but in this case I would still consider a CASE since Gauss rifles are destroyed pretty easily.

As for the build specifically, I've fought a number of Atlases with gauss and they are usually the easiest to fight since their gauss is destroyed faster than other ballistics. I have no stats to back that up, just anecdotal based on the smile I have on my face when I see an Atlas with gauss instead of ac/20 or 2x(U)AC/5. If you want large pulse AND Artemis SRM, I'd run this AS7-D-DC. Switches the gauss to 2xAC5, all SRM are now SRM6 instead of 2xSRM6 and 1xSRM4. While I'm a firm believer in 1ton of ammo per SRM6 is the bare minimum, this may work okay (and just run a bit light of SRM ammo) betwen artemis efficiency and more reliance on the other weapons. Though, at that point, it's hard to resist going with the standard 2xUAC/5 AS7-D-DC brawler

Gauss has 3 hit points (weapons usually have 10, ac20 has 18) and takes 7 slots so any hits in the area are likely to take it out (and explode)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2572 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:11 AM

Yeah, I understand about the gauss HP being nerfed a while back (overkill imo) but I worded that poorly. I just meant that I don't have stats to show I beat more mechs with gauss than any other ballistic, and that any other ballistic is generally a better choice.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2573 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:48 PM

(some of this is said above, so I'm repeating, but also adding some)

Put all the Gauss ammo in with the Gauss rifle (giving you a three-ten chance of not critting (and instantly destroying) the Gauss.  Put the heat sinks with the laser to give you a chance of not losing the laser (plus, if you lose an arm, you don't really need as many heat sinks).  Split the srm ammo into the other leg (because you moved the Gauss ammo to the right torso).  

Atlas doesn't really move fast enough to justify a pulse laser.  Either switch to PPC (longer range, all damage hits the same surface) and group with the Gauss (making for a nice 35 damage long-range strike), or go LL and buy more ammo.

If you find yourself mostly being able to stay at range, definitely go Gauss + 2xPPC
If you find yourself making choices that cause you to fight at closer range, ditch the Gauss and re-load the AC20, use LL or 2xPPC for ranged, switch to AC20 + 3xSRM6 for the in-close work.

Either way, try to give them your right shoulder when not firing because everyone knows where the Atlas big gun is (but you probably know this already).

Edit: typed 'loosing' when I meant losing... like 4 times.   tongue Thanks Ironwood!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:52:23 PM by Typhon »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2574 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:55 PM

lose.

Seriously.

lose.

Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #2575 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:18 PM

AS7-D-DC - Gauss, 2 LL, 3 SRM6, ECM, DHS

Yeah I left the Command Console in. Because that is how I roll. They should force you to take it if you want to use artillery/air strikes.

I usually get multiple kills and do good damage with it. I am much more deadly with a Gauss than an AC/20. I don't know why.

I also have a Gauss Centurion build that I find very fun to play:

Zal's "Sprinturion"

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2576 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:50 AM

Well, first time breaking 1k on any mech besides a Stalker.... My CTX-3M. I run 3 LL, 1 Gauss. Hop and shoot, hop and shoot. Gauss sure is nice when you get that heat level up and you still need to pop someone for 15. Worth the 18 tons (ammo included)? Debatable. Actually it's worth it for the hit effect. Looks pretty bad ass.

Hmmm...maybe 4 LPLs instead....WUB WUB WUB

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2577 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:43 AM

I didnt go to the Pax East panel but according to those that did Bullock made a claim that a new map in MWO takes 3 months and costs 250k in dev.

Seriously WTF?!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2578 on: March 26, 2013, 11:13:56 AM

Design over function.

They're very pretty maps, compared to the place & plunk of WoT's model w/ reused assets.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2579 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:43 AM

You know I've never once stopped and said 'Wow these maps are so pretty compared to WoT'  ....
Personally I'm still going with the theory that they have some really weak devs on their team. (Exhibit A: the UI)

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2580 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:25 PM

You know I've never once stopped and said 'Wow these maps are so pretty compared to WoT'  ....
Personally I'm still going with the theory that they have some really weak devs on their team. (Exhibit A: the UI)
Quote from: Wikipedia & Metacritic
Games developed:

Bass Pro Shops: The Strike (Xbox 360, Wii, Windows): 63 Metascore 4.8 User Score
Duke Nukem Forever (Windows, Xbox 360, PS3): 54 Metascore 5.8 User Score
MechWarrior Online (Windows): lolBETAlol
Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza (Windows): 54 Metascore 4.9 User Score
EA Playground (Nintendo DS): 60 Metascore 8.2 User Score
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (PSP): 69 Metascore 7.2 User Score
Need For Speed: Undercover (PSP): 52 Metascore 6.7 User Score
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Windows, Xbox 360, PS3): 58 Metascore 3.9 User Score
Bass Pro Shops: the hunt (Wii): lolwhat
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2581 on: March 26, 2013, 01:23:34 PM

I didnt go to the Pax East panel but according to those that did Bullock made a claim that a new map in MWO takes 3 months and costs 250k in dev.

Seriously WTF?!

Yes and a mech costs them around 60k, those numbers are probably a lot more reasonable than people seem to think and hopefully the cost of those maps reflects all new textures on all new planets. Hopefully it costs them a lot less if they want to make another map using stuff from an existing map.

For example here is Skull Girls who asked for 250k for funding a character.

Also they are probably not very good considering what a piece of shit map Alpine is.

-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2582 on: March 26, 2013, 01:25:55 PM

Oh and not that I'm bitter at all that MWO caused my PC to hard lock up last night and reduced it to a quivering mass of abused components. That's why I dissappeared mid match last night, sorry about that gents.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2583 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:16 PM

There it be! LOSER

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2584 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

The only way that could be MORE frustrating is if you had the sole kill on your team.

I'm starting to see more and more of the terrible tactics from WoT migrate here.  Last night my entire team huddled behind a hill trying to take shots on an ECM Atlas that was peek-a-booing up and down.  The rest of his team started to swing around our left as I realized what was happening.  I got slaughtered as I was moving around to try and hold and called "Watch your left they're flanking" 

Team response? "Flanking where be more specific!"

awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2585 on: March 26, 2013, 06:59:23 PM

The only way that could be MORE frustrating is if you had the sole kill on your team.

I'm starting to see more and more of the terrible tactics from WoT migrate here.  Last night my entire team huddled behind a hill trying to take shots on an ECM Atlas that was peek-a-booing up and down.  The rest of his team started to swing around our left as I realized what was happening.  I got slaughtered as I was moving around to try and hold and called "Watch your left they're flanking"  

awesome, for real

Yeah, I've been playing pretty hard late but now that I have my Atlas D-DC with Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks life is good.

Really looking forward to grouping with all you guys on the otherside of the world and sorry to CornJob for launching last night without you. I couldn't seem to reinvite you to the group but I don't know if that was because of MWO UI or you were busy.  Heartbreak

Any thoughts on this D-DC?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:41:13 PM by Llyse »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2586 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:38 PM

Anyone else see this and think about the "challenge accepted" meme? I'm a bit competitive lately, so that may be why, but that situation happens all too often to a point I almost started digging through screenshots to show how bad it can get, and show up Slayerik as he seems to be posting many pics lately (nice improvements lately btw)

I'm starting to see more and more of the terrible tactics from WoT migrate here.  Last night my entire team huddled behind a hill trying to take shots on an ECM Atlas that was peek-a-booing up and down.  The rest of his team started to swing around our left as I realized what was happening.  I got slaughtered as I was moving around to try and hold and called "Watch your left they're flanking"  

awesome, for real

Yeah, that gets annoying. Usually it is better to say inc from/to arch or inc from g-line/g7/g8/h4/etc, since your right is not everyone's right. I know, it's dumb since most queue for assault meaning you're either heading south and everyone should have the same left/right or you're in conquest and attempting to herd cats. swamp poop

Yeah, I've been playing pretty hard late but now that I have my Atlas D-DC with Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks life is good.

Really looking forward to grouping with all you guys on the otherside of the world and sorry to CornJob for launching last night without you. I couldn't seem to reinvite you to the group but I don't know if that was because of MWO UI or you were busy.  Heartbreak

If you get a message saying "cannot invite them" or something along those lines, it is because they are in a group already. When people drop group, everyone must click to drop group (or relog/relaunch). So yeah, it's shitty UI at the root of the cause, but this time there is a work around (usually anyways, as even all work arounds don't always work).

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2587 on: March 26, 2013, 10:42:07 PM

850 with a Dragon. WOOO

Sorry, treb c over 800 is another toughy

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2588 on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:40 AM

I noticed only yesterday that the arm hardpoints on the Jagermech are visually dynamic, meaning they actually show the specific weapon you choose to install there. I had a good 30 minutes of fun switching in and out AC2, AC5, AC10, AC20, LBX and Machinegun to see the actual thing show up in my mech model. Of course it should always be like this but I checked back and it is not like that on the old 'mechs. The cannon on the right arm of my Cataphract for example doesn't change appearance no matter what I put there.

Can anybody remember this being addressed as something they plan on changing on old mechs too, or it's exclusive to the Jagermech?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2589 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:04 AM

It's a 'going forwards' thing, but they plan to retro it.  The catapult has it as well, to a limited extent.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: