Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:39:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1010069 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: August 27, 2012, 04:06:27 AM

Yeah, you don't move very fast and you don't shoot very often

Speak for yourself.  I am driving a 1 ton mech with 15 PPC's !!!

BEWARE THE FLEA.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #876 on: August 27, 2012, 04:47:44 AM

Also, as opposed for example to the mentioned Team Fortress or any other "lobby based shooter" the fundamental characteristic of any Battletech/Mechwarrior game is that you have multiple weapons to shoot with that cover different roles based on distance and/or other factors, and (here lies the meaningful layer of depth) you can't shoot them at will due to overheating. So you are forced to make choices, both in the building of your mech and in the actual realtime fighting.

So yeah, those videos are only meant to tease people with exploding mechs, but there's much much more than that. Even more so with the announced Community Warfare.

Let's not forget that one-and-out vs. respawn-and-charge make the two games wildly different to begin with.   Even in World of Tanks you see the run-n-gun folks get popped pretty early, if they ever make it out of tier 2/3.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:29 AM

Yeah, you don't move very fast and you don't shoot very often, so you really have to think ahead.  Not that you don't have to be fast and accurate as well, just that there's a more measured form of situational awareness you have to cultivate, you can't blow your way out of a mistake with twitch skills.

--Dave

If you think a full-speed 100 kph+ Jenner isn't twitch playing...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(checked and there are public videos showing that so saying it isn't against NDA)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:16 AM

Watching 'Meet The Jenner' makes me really wish I was young and a crack-addled, caffeine addicted squirrel.

Because it looks like you'll need to be to play one.  The bit where he jump jets over the head and lands behind to shoot him in the back.  Fuck me.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: August 27, 2012, 01:36:29 PM

I would strip the JJ's outta mine, throw in an XL, AMS, load up on Flamers, side torso armor, and sinks.  Instant Atlas BBQ ftw!  Beware the wolfpack.  Carry on now.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: August 27, 2012, 03:10:02 PM

Tabletop flamers were always the first thing you learned not to love.  At first it was all like, hey, heat and you get to put fire counters on that bunch of trees and heat and hey and, whoo fire counters.

Then you realised you'd put something on your mech that put up heat by 3 for him and 2 for you and hurt fuck all.

And then he hit you with his fucking axe and tore off your arm and then he beat you to fucking death with it. 

Ahhhh, my old tabletop games.  What a fun childhood I had.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:39 PM

Yah, but flamerz!  They shoot fire!!

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:10 AM

Infernos in your SRM-6 rack was where it was at.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:41 AM

Yeah.  I'd be down for that.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:24 AM

Has anyone seen any questions about customizable ammo types in any of the developer interviews?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:48 PM

They've made it clear that as the tech improves, (both in the Inner Sphere and, you know, in their development team) they will be sticking that kind of stuff in.

I believe there's a thread somewhere where a Dev comments on changeable ammo for the LBX-10.  Don't think it's in yet, but I think they want it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #886 on: August 29, 2012, 03:57:39 PM

Fan made trailer  awesome, for real

Puts to shame everything they did so far. Hire this person.

EDIT FOR FAIRNESS: Lots of fragments are from the canceled Mechwarrior 5 project and 2009 old CGI trailer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:05:17 PM by Falconeer »

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #887 on: August 29, 2012, 04:18:02 PM

I was just going to post that, the official MWO twitter feed linked it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #888 on: August 29, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

Music video-style cuts do not make for a better trailer.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: August 29, 2012, 04:24:34 PM

I agree, usually. It's probably that I find their offcial videos a bit anemic for what the game should be. The latest ones are better, but the River City one (which happens to be the most recent) is really weird.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #890 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:26 PM

River City as a map though is pretty awesome  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #891 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:50 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: August 30, 2012, 02:05:26 AM

Music video-style cuts do not make for a better trailer.

I agree.  That trailer is pretty bad.  Also, Warhammer just brings pain back to the surface.

I didn't know there was a River City trailer either.   Possibly because I'm Scottish and I tend to block out the words River City just in case I end up with that shite soap opera on my youtube feed.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #893 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:10 AM

All the trailers have been pretty terrible, the voice over guy they use a lot is especially bad.  The best approved videos just showed games from the start with the different weight classes, but they didn't show a full match.  The non-gameplay CGI bits should be right at the start and the end, if used at all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:51:29 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #894 on: August 31, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #895 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:30 PM

Just got the email I was waiting for. Now, to clone myself so I have time to play everything...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:34 AM

Give your keys to other people and live vicariously through them until release.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:01 AM

I can't be the only one that reads every ISN broadcast for that fateful 'Holy Shit, Strange Mechs Tearing Through Periphery' story.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: September 06, 2012, 10:44:59 AM

Is it me or they pushed back the timeline? Today's ISN update is something from December 13th 3048. It would make sense if you ask me, I can't really see them ready for Clans in a few months.

Also, from the latest Q & A:

Q: Will you be adding B****in' Betty? This just wouldn't be the complete MechWarrior experience without her cold yet soothing voice telling me everything that's going wrong. [Alpha One]
A: We'd be fools not to. [Garth]

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: September 06, 2012, 10:56:46 AM

Per the devlogs and content schedule it really seems as if they intend to release minus many many elements, bitchin betty being one of them... Community Warfare being the biggest one.  This would be a huge mistake if that happened.  Maybe it's time to just take a deep breath, set the ego aside, and concentrate on making a complete game.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #900 on: September 07, 2012, 03:28:49 PM

Founders Extension
After our return from a fantastic experience at PAX Prime in Seattle, and seeing so many existing and new fans visit our booth and discover MWO truly made us proud. Over the course of the PAX event many fans let us know that outside our awesome core community (you guys) many gamers are unaware of the Founders Program offer. As a response to the emails and feedback received from our earlier Founders shutdown announcement, plus being somewhat overwhelmed by demand from PAX, we have decided to be more inclusive and extend Founders. We will announce it's ending at a later date.

Thanks again, everone!

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

Not a great surprise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: September 07, 2012, 03:43:17 PM

Why don't they just admit that it's fucking Live now and you have to fucking pay for it to get you started and, above all, drop the cunting NDA ?

This is lunacy* and rather obvious lunacy* at that.  I suspect the Founders Package is going to last until the sun burns out, the heat death of the universe and they shut the servers down for good.

Ohhhhh, I see.

*You may if you like insert your own word.  Marketing might work.  Any word starting with a G and ending in Reed would also work.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #902 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:52 PM

Is it me or they pushed back the timeline? Today's ISN update is something from December 13th 3048. It would make sense if you ask me, I can't really see them ready for Clans in a few months.

Also, from the latest Q & A:

Q: Will you be adding B****in' Betty? This just wouldn't be the complete MechWarrior experience without her cold yet soothing voice telling me everything that's going wrong. [Alpha One]
A: We'd be fools not to. [Garth]

I thought they stated that every beta reset would reset the clock.  When they wipe experience, credits, etc it can't be good to be dropping clans 2-3 months later just because "well the timeline started a year ago!"

Why don't they just admit that it's fucking Live now and you have to fucking pay for it to get you started and, above all, drop the cunting NDA ?

I'm sure we can all fathom just why that is; outside of the money grab.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #903 on: September 07, 2012, 04:14:33 PM

I can understand keeping it till just before open beta, but then you could make an argument for extending right into open beta up to just before release.  I don't approve of asking people for money with an NDA in place, but they seem to have raised an awful lot of cash by doing just that.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:19 AM

BattleTech fans have been waiting eons for this game.  The last attempt was MPBT3025 and that was what, 10-15 years ago?  We're a bit crazy about the possibilities.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:06 AM

BattleTech fans have been waiting eons for this game.  The last attempt was MPBT3025 and that was what, 10-15 years ago?  We're a bit crazy about the possibilities.

As a Battletech fan I'm still waiting for an actual RPG of some form.   World of Tanks with Mechs is a great idea, but I wouldn't call it the game I've been waiting for.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: September 08, 2012, 09:33:21 AM

Original Battletech had sod all to do with RPG.  I'm confused.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:26 AM

Original Battletech had sod all to do with RPG.  I'm confused.

When original Btech released it took all of a few hours for some geek to RPGify it; you can bet on that.  And also the 'Mechwarrior' franchise remember is based on an RPG.  Personally, I'd prefer the game was called Battletech: Online, but if they went that route they'd have to incorporate a lot more elements then just Mechs.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:29 PM

Original Battletech had sod all to do with RPG.  I'm confused.

It's been an RPG for nearly three decades now though.  Crescent Hawk's Inception came out in 1988.  I had played tabletop a couple times before then, but that's where my love affair with the actual story began.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:24:20 PM by Amaron »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:41 PM

This is lunacy* and rather obvious lunacy* at that.  I suspect the Founders Package is going to last until the sun burns out, the heat death of the universe and they shut the servers down for good.

Ohhhhh, I see.

*You may if you like insert your own word.  Marketing might work.  Any word starting with a G and ending in Reed would also work.

Bah.   NDA
I deleted my post myself.  Dont wanna risk it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:30:10 PM by Ghambit »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: