Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1010132 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #210 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:26 PM

The 60-dollar route is almost a no-brainer.  Even if the extra c-bills is only a 5% boost that will be a shitload of free cash over the long-haul if the game is any good. 

Key point being the last 6 words.

Plus, hey, free exclusive mech.  Depending on what tier it is, that could easily be $50.  Lord knows Premium tanks in WoT cost that much at times.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #211 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:33 PM

I really dislike the whole idea of paying without even trying the beta, it rewards potential failure and I almost never do it.  However it is giant mechs and it's the first thing that's caught my interest in a long time, so I'm very tempted.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #212 on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:54 PM

Am I missing something or there isn't a full list of mechs out yet? I would love to know if we are talking about 5-10 original Fasa ones, or 20-40 you know?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:29 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #214 on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:15 PM

One other thing that I am not sure if people know or not, but you have to activate your beta account. Log into the forums and then click profile. There is a tab called Beta that has a checkbox to activate your beta account. It then asks you for some computer spec information. When I went to my profile my beta account wasn't checked even though I thought I had signed up. A bit of a confusing process to be honest.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: May 23, 2012, 05:40:15 PM

Am I missing something or there isn't a full list of mechs out yet? I would love to know if we are talking about 5-10 original Fasa ones, or 20-40 you know?
From announcements:

Jenner
Catapult
Hunchback

Dragon
Centurion
Commando
Raven
Cicada
Cataphract

They've got a total of 11, but I'm not sure what the missing ones are.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:22 PM

Have they announced what the 60 buck mech is?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: May 23, 2012, 06:28:58 PM

It was on that page, those recolored/reskinned mechs.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:09 AM

Yeah, the "special" mech is a paint job and not an actual mech.  Which is fair enough; people would be rightly pissed if an entire mech chassis was off-limits to anyone who didn't cough up sixty bucks before the game was even done.  Not that it matters much; all of the best mechs are never gonna be in the game thanks to idiots not managing to correctly license things in the 90s.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:42 AM

I want LAM's! 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: May 24, 2012, 01:15:19 AM

Eleven mechs at launch? That's... very few :(

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:34 AM

Yeah, the "special" mech is a paint job and not an actual mech.  Which is fair enough; people would be rightly pissed if an entire mech chassis was off-limits to anyone who didn't cough up sixty bucks before the game was even done.  Not that it matters much; all of the best mechs are never gonna be in the game thanks to idiots not managing to correctly license things in the 90s.

Where did they clarify this? Because I'm reading:

" Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster. "

And thinking of the premium tanks in World of Tanks that no one can get anymore because they were only offered during beta.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #222 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:39 AM

No Atlas?

cry
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #223 on: May 24, 2012, 04:11:28 AM

What Furiously said about WoT is what I was thinking to be the case as well.

There's even premium tanks that you can no longer get.  So long as they're not vastly overpowered to the point a bad player can own anybody then nobody really cares.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:57 AM

Atlas is in all the videos...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:18 AM

Eleven mechs at launch? That's... very few :(
No, they're highlighting one every couple of days.  I just skimmed their headlines.

I forgot the Atlas from the videos.  Add that to the list.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: May 24, 2012, 06:44:17 AM

WoT had if I remember 3 special pre-order tanks you couldnt get any other way. Their $60 one was also quite op for release (it was tier8 with insane armor and most no one had tier8 for first month) .And it was not that big deal.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:50 AM

WoT had if I remember 3 special pre-order tanks you couldnt get any other way. Their $60 one was also quite op for release (it was tier8 with insane armor and most no one had tier8 for first month) .And it was not that big deal.

It actually got a lot of people twisted around the axles at launch, it was a rare match that I ran mine that I didn't get people bitching about Wallet Warriors and suggestions that I needed to earn a tank like real players did.  People who didn't really understand the game thought it was completely unfair that just because you did the $100 preorder you got a tier 8 heavy.  People who knew how to play the game weren't that bothered by it once they learned how to fight it.   A lot of people sold theirs not to long after launch because they really didn't earn that well and the release of the later high tier premiums pretty much overshadowed the premium M6.  I still have mine, and thanks to a tweak to its earning potential  in one of patches, it earns a nice pile of credits every match.  But the current target of anti-premium tank anger is the type 59 tier 8 medium so instead of "die in a fire wallet warrior" I mostly I just get "wtf is that thing" kinds of comments when I run it now.

The tightrope that the Mechwarrior folks will have to walk is making the premium mechs good enough to be worth buying but not so good that they break the game.  WoT got burned pretty badly by the Type 59, the thing was just a monster in pug games until they were forced to nerf it, which pissed off the folks who had already bought one, and then stop selling it, which pissed off the folks who didn't have one.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:04 PM

The trick with exclusive mechs is that lots of battletech nerds are insanely attached to their favorite mech.  It's not even a pay to win thing; if they make it so that people can't get, say, a Zeus if they don't preorder, you can bet that there's some Zeus fanboy out there who will be plotting to bomb their offices over it if he misses out on the opportunity to get a Zeus.  Even a crap mech like Urbanmechs probably have rabid fans somewhere.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #229 on: May 24, 2012, 02:37:35 PM

Especially the Urbie.  That along with the Locust had the biggest cult following in MPBT.  My personal preference was the BNC-S, a model that performed far better in video games than in the boardgame.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #230 on: May 24, 2012, 02:39:10 PM

no Archer no peace

(And yeah I know it is one of the copyright violation ones.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:58 PM

Go Orion!

Locust lovers deserve derision.  At least there are tales of Urbies saving the day.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:31 PM

no Archer no peace

(And yeah I know it is one of the copyright violation ones.)

Also means no Warhammer or Marauders.  :(
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:22 PM

I'm a Thunderbolt guy, and yeah I'd pay real money in order to make sure I get one at launch.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:56 PM

I'm a Thunderbolt guy, and yeah I'd pay real money in order to make sure I get one at launch.

For me it's the Victor.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: May 24, 2012, 04:26:50 PM

The Victor-9B is a great little big ambusher.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: May 24, 2012, 05:30:00 PM

Does the Mad Dog fit the timeframe/rules? I fucking loved that one in every MW I played...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: May 24, 2012, 05:33:19 PM

Does the Mad Dog fit the timeframe/rules? I fucking loved that one in every MW I played...

I think this is set just before the clan invasion.  If it had clan, no one would play Inner Sphere.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 24, 2012, 05:37:04 PM

I think this is set just before the clan invasion.  If it had clan, no one would play Inner Sphere.

Bummer...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:47 PM

You'd have both, but mixing the two techs is just asking for disaster.  It only works in carefully plotted tabletop games.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 24, 2012, 06:52:54 PM

Clan tech is literally overpowered, it takes like 15-20 years of 'game time' for the InnerSphere to even pretend to catch up.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:51 AM

Yes.  In canon the clan is overpowered by a few centuries of relatively unimpeded weapons development while the Inner Sphere hammered itself into the stone age.  The factions are evenly matched because strategic and tactical thinking in the Clans is about one step removed from building mecha horses so they can joust.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:16 AM

Yeah, any game with clanners would have to have some sort of balancing mechanic in place or else they'd just steamroll the IS team.  Assuming that such a mechanic would be based around the C-bill value of the mechs, the IS team would need either more people or heavier mechs to reach an equivalent value.  As far as the Clan fighting goes, their tactics are usually fine, once they got over their hangup on single combat; its their strategy that throws them off.  Game lore fluff indicates that they're resource-poor to the point that they're insanely frugal with their machines, and their bidding system is meant to minimize the loss to equipment by only sending in as many troops as absolutely required to do a job.  Which I guess is just a nice way of trying to explain why the clan player's fielding half the number of mechs as their opponent.

Battlemasters have always been my favorite chassis, and they're caught up in the copyright abyss so I don't expect to see them.  FASA's efforts to redesign the copyrighted mechs always wound up looking godawful, so even if they do bring back the locust/wasp/marauder/etc. they're probably going to be too ugly to bear any resemblance whatsoever to the originals.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 25, 2012, 01:01:32 AM

I would just like you to stop at this point and reflect on the notion of sending half the dudes your enemy has fielded with the expectation that your opponent is going to settle for one-on-one mecha duels.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: May 25, 2012, 01:17:55 AM

Well they aren't refitting between said duels, so there is still some merit to it!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: