Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:16:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2252830 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9030 on: June 14, 2014, 07:17:02 AM

Installed Destiny, and wow, I suuuuck at gamepad-shooter-ing.  Is this coming out for PC?

No, thus everyone's  Ohhhhh, I see. at the project for a console shooter.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #9031 on: June 14, 2014, 09:15:58 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-says-bungie-s-destiny-on-pc-is-a-natural-fit/1100-6420475/

I bet they farm it out to Treyarch and it ends up being a big piece of shit.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9032 on: June 14, 2014, 09:46:58 AM

If it is ported to PC, it will almost certainly be a farm job to Treyarch or someone that isn't currently doing their CoD shift. Bungie gives no shits whatsoever about PC development.

In fact, weren't they snarkily dismissive of PC development in general not long ago?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9033 on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:10 AM

It's being made exclusively for PS4/Xbone; shouldn't it basically just be a compiler flag?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #9034 on: June 14, 2014, 12:26:11 PM

Still Mario Kart.

I've probably sunk 20 hours into the multiplayer already. I've noticed that they've tuned the random items. There are a lot less of red or blue shells, which is great especially in a 12 player race.

This is exactly the kind of multiplayer I want more of. Quick rounds, no social aspects, no chat and no way a pimpled thirteen year old can call you fag. Just quick fire races against people all over the world or against your mates.

The great tracks are still immensely fun, a few of the sleep inducing bore feasts get grating after a while (Toad's turnpike is probably the worst)

There's only one issue I have. Mario Kart needs a few seconds of invulnerability for a player after he got hit by an item or effect. Right now getting hit once is a sure fire way of getting hit a few times more right after and you will end up dead last. Just because five players unloaded their items on you.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9035 on: June 14, 2014, 02:19:35 PM

Yes, recovery in Mario Kart is nigh impossible if you're in the path of two of *whatever.*
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9036 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:39 PM

"I'm using tilt controls!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9037 on: June 15, 2014, 01:58:24 PM

Destiny first impressions please?

You start off in a story area. It's not a tutorial as they do not explain much about how to actually play the game aside from "press this button and it will show you the direction you need to go for your current mission, or if you aren't on a mission it will show you where nearby side-quests are". They start you off at lv. 3 from the general feel of things, this is probably not the actual start of the game. You may run into other players in this part, but once you get past a certain point it seems to be solo. There's some narration from Peter Dinklage who does the voice of the floaty AI device you carry around with you to hack electronics and such. Not really enough here to tell if the story is any good. Pretty much amounts to "go here" followed by "what are these creatures doing here, they're supposed to be stuck on the moon and unable to get to Earth" or something to that effect.

Once you complete that, the game puts you in your ship (just an outside view of your ship flying, you don't really do anything with it, it's just your hub). From there you can either go back to that story area (don't know why you would bother), go to the same area but without the story stuff and explore and do side-quests, go to the Tower (last surviving city, with shops and quest stuff), go to the 6 v 6 PVP area which I haven't messed with because I don't really play console shooters much and would get torn to shreds, and then there's a longer, non-story mission called a Strike.

Going to the Tower, you turn in your story quest and get to pick some loot as a reward. Some of the loot you find in the game needs to be identified, which one of the vendors here does. You can get some bounties, which amount to "kill x of elite enemy y" and "complete a Strike without dying" for some bonus xp and other rewards. Level cap in the Alpha is 8, but some vendors are selling lv. 20 gear. Not sure if that is the game's max level, but never saw anything higher than that. The lv. 20 loot is listed as Legendary. Most lower level loot the vendors sell is white (common) with the occasional green (uncommon) and have a timer listed showing when they change their stock. At any point you can bring up your menu and go back to your ship. Not much else to do here at this point.

The Strike is recommended for level 6 and at this point you'll be level 4 most likely, so at this point the only real option is to go to the non-story version of the zone you started in. Side-quests here are very generic, amounting to "click on this beacon on the ground, then either kill a bunch of enemies in the area, kill one specific enemy somewhere, or go click on this other thing somewhere". Again, you may run into other people while you're doing this. Communication here seems to be limited to pointing an waving and you don't seem to share quests with the other people you run into. Occasionally a notification will pop up that there's an optional group quest in the area. So far it seems to be limited to "stand in this area and fight off a few waves of enemies". The enemies tend to be a little hard and come from multiple directions, and you don't usually get a lot of cover. There doesn't appear to be any sort of death penalty though aside from waiting 5 seconds to respawn (or 30 seconds if you're doing a Strike) and maybe having to run a short distance. At just about any point in this zone you can summon your personal transport so you can travel around the area faster. There are a number of caves and buildings you can find, which might have loot chests or possibly lv. 12 enemies you can't damage because you aren't strong enough yet. This area starts to feel grindy fairly quick,

The Strike that's in the game is pretty fun. You get matched up with a couple other players, the map is fairly linear and there are a couple of somewhat time consuming bosses to beat towards the end. Again, since there isn't really a death penalty and the bosses don't seem to regen health at all, even if you get matched up with lower level people or people who aren't especially good, you'll be able to eventually power your way through it and it seems to be a decent way to level. You also get a couple pieces of uncommon gear each time you complete it.

Control-wise the game feels very much like Halo in speed and the floaty jumping. Due to the level cap it's hard to get a feel for the skill system. Right now it seems to just amount to the game telling you that you've unlocked a skill and then you go to the skill section and click on it. Later on you'll have to choose one skill from each column, but at the moment I don't have enough skills for that to matter. Likewise you can't progress far enough in the classes to really feel the differences between them. There are some typical RPG stats you'll see on some of the gear like +5 strength, or +5 Intelligence, but not really anything I've seen explaining what any of it does in the context of this game.

Overall I guess if you're going to play a console shooter, you might as well play the one made by the guys who did Halo. There's a slight concern that some of the content here is pretty bland, but without knowing how much content the full game will have, it's hard to tell if that will be an issue or not. I'll probably pick this game up because my family got me a PS4 for Christmas and I haven't had shit to play on it, and there's nothing else coming out for quite a long time, but this Alpha doesn't make me feel like this is something I just have to play. I'm more excited for No Man's Sky and that's just from watching video, but for AAA blockbuster titles, sure I'll play Destiny I guess. More fun than Battlefield Hardline so far (although I was pleasantly surprised that Hardline actually functions, so I guess my expectations when it comes to Battlefield games have been successfully lowered).
schild
Administrator

Reply #9038 on: June 15, 2014, 11:32:22 PM

I want to say, now more than ever, consoles and portable systems fucking blow.

I blame f2p and social media.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9039 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:29 AM

I have a PS4 and played some of the Destiny Alpha which is basically just free advertising.

It certainly feels like a Bungie FPS; slow n' floaty, enemies that literally look like covenant races, weird electronic companion with voice acting that just bothers the fuck out of me in a weird way.

Maybe my brain is broken, but fuck if the Ghost's voice doesn't bother me the same way all of Halo 1/2's VA work did. From the way everyone is recorded to the acting itself it's like some random dude off the street is sitting next to me when I play, reading the subtitles into my ear. It's the uncanny valley of voice acting; it's halfway between traditional game/anime VAs (who have distinct voices and usually solid acting but sound like no human you've ever heard ever in real life) and System Shock 2's "Let's just grab whoever is in the hall" deadpan.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9040 on: June 16, 2014, 05:04:22 AM

Needed an fps fix, beat what was left of Shadow Warrior in like one 6 hour sitting. The story was fucking awful especially at the end, but gameplay saved a lot. That final horde fight was something else.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9041 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:12 PM

Are any of the zombie survival games, like Day Z, actually any good?  A friend of mine wants to get one we can play together, but we can't find anything that doesn't sound like a buggy mess.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9042 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:26 AM

Day Z is still months away from being a finished product. They still call it "alpha" and Rocket still publicly (on Reddit) advices people to NOT buy it yet.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9043 on: June 23, 2014, 08:36:25 AM

I found it so unfinished that I was kind of stunned that anyone is playing it. I don't know why I broke my "don't buy alphas" rule, just curious I guess.

It desperately needs some better crafting and way more interactability with the landscape/objects, for one.

Also definitely has some of the most unlikeable players this side of EVE.

There's a good sense of mood/look in it but that's about it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9044 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:37 AM

Trying to at least try some of the Steam backlog I have so I loaded up Sniper Elite v2 and Just Cause 2 this weekend.

Sniper Elite was OK but I after I spent an entire mission sneaking through a base instead of actually sniping guys from the tops of buildings and shit, I decided if I wanted to play Assassin Creed without the ability to stab someone in the neck, I'd just go play Assassin's Creed. Or anything else. Just Cause 2 - the shooting controls in this game are UTTER SHIT. 27 minutes - uninstall.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9045 on: June 23, 2014, 11:02:13 AM

That's unfortunate because Just Cause 2 is one of the most fun games I have ever played.  Gamepad?  Console?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9046 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:18 AM

PC. I have a 360 gamepad hooked up to it, though I rarely use it. I didn't much like the Spider-Man grapple thingy. The wanton destruction and chaos looked cool, but the feel of the shooty bits really annoyed me.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #9047 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:54 PM

Still Mario Kart. I still enjoy it for one or two hours after work but now I seem to notice all the little things that make me think that the release was somewhat rushed to make the May release date.

1. Battle Mode is pretty much non-existent since they didn't make any maps for it and reuse normal courses instead which doesn't work at all.
2. Netcode is very buggy still. Connection errors and all kinds of small desync issues.
3. Rubber banding is bad, really bad
4. lots of small issues like menus that are not as polished as I'd expect from Nintendo. Issues with the item RNG. Lots of vehicles and vehicle parts that all have basically the same stats etc.

They also introduced two competition breaking bugs like snaking in previous games which already screw over players that play online and are not 'in the know'. I wondered for a few days why I never ever managed to get to a higher place than 9th in online matches anymore. That's because of two things (apart from me being not very good of course)

1. 'fire jumping': if you use any kind of boost (red mushroom, boost pad, boosts from drifting) only the time your vehicle's wheels actually touch the ground count agaionts the boost duration. So by wildly jumping left and right people are making the duration of boosts much longer than intended offering a huge advantage over players that don't know this trick. It also only works when you have certain combinations of caarts and characters. The trick won't work for example when you are on a bike. This will give you an advantage of a few seconds per lap. There are youtube videos that describe it better than I can.

2. you can dodge blue shells under certain circumstances by boosting out of the blast radius and you can sometimes divert blue shells so that they hit the second place player instead of you.

All in all I still really like MK8 but it feels a bit rushed and I hope Nintendo will take the time to polish it some more and fix the issues that are still there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9048 on: June 23, 2014, 10:46:30 PM

The online blows.

But ya know, Nintendo.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9049 on: June 24, 2014, 10:30:36 AM

Battle Mode was always dumb.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9050 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:25 PM

I'm trying to get into Batman Arkham City but failing. It's like the most schizophrenic game ever, all sorts of supervillains dropping in an out, sometimes lasting less than a minute. And Batman doing his dark knight speeches over and over, without a hint of recognising that for some weird reason a dozen supervillains are all desperate for attention at the exact same time.

How did this get so much praise?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9051 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:37 PM

Did it?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9052 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:27 PM

Metascore of 91. It's like one of the most loved games of recent times.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9053 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:16 PM

It had to do with coming out at the same time as the Batman movies, people were hyped to wreck people's shit as Batman.  Otherwise it's an ok beat em up game with some pretty nice combo/chain hit mechanics.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9054 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:12 PM

Then I tried Metro Last Light and the whole thing feels like it's falling apart at 7 hours. They make the story go places and then just carry on with the rote place-enemies-in-player's-way. They don't even try to provide an excuse for them to be there, they just spawn in randomly while the NPCs you talked to two minutes ago in the same room despawn. On top of that the game suffers from a terrible case of cannot open doors on your own.

I think I might just be suffering from an overdose of AAA bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:50:43 PM by jakonovski »
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #9055 on: June 24, 2014, 02:34:39 PM

Metascore of 91. It's like one of the most loved games of recent times.

You're not insane, the world is. I don't understand it's appeal either - from it's crappy writing to... well; "just take-a-look-at-this!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2EZZVW7jjQ
schild
Administrator

Reply #9056 on: June 24, 2014, 02:36:06 PM

Batman was bad. All of them.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9057 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:51 PM

Lego Batman was fine!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9058 on: June 24, 2014, 04:21:23 PM

Yeah I tried to play Arkham, got about 30m into and thought it was shitty. But I'm a mechanics guy, not a lore guy. And I don't like comics.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9059 on: June 24, 2014, 04:28:42 PM

My opinions on the first are well known and mostly ridiculed.   awesome, for real

Tried FTL.  Neat.  Suck at it, but it's neat.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9060 on: June 24, 2014, 04:48:35 PM

I liked AA a lot, really, but I never got more than about an hour into AC because it came out at the same time as something else that ended up distracting me. (ME3 maybe?) Still in my backlog, console version.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #9061 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:22 PM

My opinions on the first are well known and mostly ridiculed.   awesome, for real

FTL is the best indie gem purchase ever.
I have no regrets.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #9062 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:04 PM

FTL is the best indie gem purchase ever.
I have no regrets.

Kerbal Space Program.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9063 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:28 AM

I'm trying to get into Batman Arkham City but failing. It's like the most schizophrenic game ever, all sorts of supervillains dropping in an out, sometimes lasting less than a minute. And Batman doing his dark knight speeches over and over, without a hint of recognising that for some weird reason a dozen supervillains are all desperate for attention at the exact same time.

How did this get so much praise?

Because it was a fucking brilliant game and a worthy follow up to Arkham Asylum.

The 3rd one is all kinds of boundless shite, if you really want to rag on something.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9064 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:50 AM

Arkham Asylum and City were really good but the plot/character part of the game is purely fanwank for people who loved the animated series and the comics, and since Batman is the least interesting part of Batman stuff they clowncar his rogues gallery into the games.

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: